The Missing Marauder: A Harry...

By padfoot13

Sirius Black told Harry that there were four Marauders. He told Harry that his best friends in school were Ja... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Epilogue Part One
Epilogue Part Two

Chapter 12

39.4K 1K 663
By padfoot13

It was a week after the deaths of Diana and Robert Mulciber, and some of the students were growing restless, demanding to know where their friend had suddenly disappeared to.  

On Friday, the 20th, anyone who showed up to the breakfast that morning heard the story from Dumbledore himself.  

"Excuse me," he called out, shushing the entire room, "I have something to tell you all. It's a rather peculiar story, but most certainly not for your amusement, and some of you may not want to hear.  

"Now, I'm sure many of you have noticed the absence of a certain student over the past week. This is because, and this is confidential information that she has specifically given us the permission to tell you all this, on Friday, February the 13th, two cloaked figures known as Death Eaters broke into her home and used the Killing Curse to murder her mother and five year-old brother."  

There were murmurs and whispers, which quieted down when Dumbledore continued to speak.  

"Is there anyone in this room who knows what a Death Eater is?" he asked.  

Not a single hand went into the air.  

"A Death Eater is a follower of a man who finds pleasure in the murders of Muggles and Muggle-borns. Some people would say it was not pleasure that led him to the murders but hatred. I, personally, think this is a lie."  

More murmurs and whispers, this time coming quicker and a little louder.  

"My opinion may differ from yours. You may believe it was hatred, and you may believe that it was the pleasure in killing people he hated, or you may believe it was simply pleasure. This man, however, had hatred in him that was there since the day he was born. This man has declared himself the Dark Lord Voldemort.  

"Now, I'm sure you all have seen stories in the Daily Prophet for as long as you can remember about strange murders and disappearances, and how most-if not all-of these people were Muggles or Muggle-borns. As I'm sure you can already guess, Voldemort is the one responsible for these deaths.  

"Many people have suffered because of Voldemort and the Death Eaters, Miss Rowan Mulciber included, and because of her suffering, her friends are suffering as well. And as they suffer, many others suffer. You see how many people are affected by this? She is not the only one. Many families have been destroyed, many people have been slaughtered, and not many people know about it.  

"Rowan will not be returning to Hogwarts until your O.W.L.s start this year. Her friends, who left to attend the funeral, should be arriving at any minute. I would appreciate it if students did not bombard them with questions, I'm sure it's been rather difficult on them all.  

"With the thought of Lord Voldemort, Death Eaters, and the Dark Arts in your minds, I ask that you take your Defense Against the Dark Arts courses very seriously these next few years. You never know when you're going to need it.  

"And now, speaking of Defense Against the Dark Arts, I'm sure you've noticed the disappearance of Professor Mynce and have been acquainted with the new professor taking his place as substitute for Professor Greeves, Professor Monroa, an Ex-Auror. She will teach you using Professor Greeves's plans..."  

Soon the announcements had changed to the D.A.D.A. professor, her accomplishments, and how long she will be staying.  

Shortly after breakfast had ended, students leaving the castle to go to Herbology saw the Hogwarts Express at the train station in Hogsmeade, and five students standing around talking to a very large man, with a huge mass of dark hair. He was at least twice the size of the tallest of the five.  

Soon, the five separated, one going off towards the castle, the other four going towards the greenhouse.  

Regulus Black saw them from his position on a hill with his friends, Rabastan Lestrange and Evan Rosier.  

"Ridiculous," Evan muttered, "They all get out of classes just because a friend of theirs has some family 'issues.' Absolutely ridiculous."  

"Shut up," Regulus snapped, "They're going to their classes, you idiot. They only got a few days off to support her."  

"And you know this because?" Rabastan asked.  

"Because my brother is going out with that Rowan girl," he spat, "And all I heard about since the morning it happened was, 'Don't worry, your brother will be back,' and, 'You should've gone with them, Regulus,' and, 'Quite a coincidence it happened on Friday the 13th, don't you think Regulus?' And they told me exactly when they'd be back so I could go down to greet them, which I'm not doing, no way in hell."  

"I doubt they wanted you to go down there and greet them," Evan said, "You said your brother hates you."  

"That's because he does," Regulus agreed, "He hates me with a passion, that's for sure. I'm lucky if I go one day at home without him chasing me around, yelling death threats at me."  

"Geez," Rabastan murmured, "I can't believe that kid isn't in Slytherin with the rest of us. The way you describe him, I mean, makes him sound like he shouldn't be anywhere else. In fact, I think I could actually start to like him if he weren't in Gryffindor, the way you always talk about him."  

"Oh, please," Regulus hissed, "My brother wouldn't last one day as a Slytherin. For one thing, he loves that stupid Mudblood girl, and Slytherins, or at least most Slytherins, can't stand the bloody sight of her...or any Mudblood for that matter."  

"That's true," Evan agreed, "But we could always... convince him to change his mind on the subject."

"That's another thing," Regulus said, "He's so stubborn. Once he's got an opinion on something, he sticks to it. Nothing can change his mind, not even my mom threatening to take him out of this pathetic excuse for a school he loves so much.  

"How could anybody love this place?" Regulus asked, taking a piece of candy from Honeydukes out of his pocket and unwrapping it, "I can tell you one thing, it was the biggest relief of my life when I learned I wouldn't have to take Charms next year. And another thing, our petty little headmaster. In my opinion, he's getting too old to take on this job, and ever since my great-great-grandfather left this place has gone downhill.  

"Come on," he muttered, seeing his brother and four friends heading straight towards them, "Let's go, or we're going to be late."  

February 27th  

Dear Sirius,  

Thanks for your letter. Life on the farm is...different. I've been spending a lot of time in the fields. I'm actually sitting by the pond right now, as I'm writing this.  

Aunt Jesse means well, I know she does, but she's trying too hard. I just met the woman a few weeks ago for the first time, and she knows nothing about me, and I know nothing about her, and yet she tries to act like we're best friends.  

She got me a dog, in hopes I'd start to think about my "new life" instead of the "old one." It's a white Labrador puppy. I named her Hera. Don't ask me why, I just felt like it. She looks like a Hera. She's really energetic and playful and affectionate, and she's really friendly towards other animals and strangers. She's really protective, too. And she learns really fast! I've already taught her a whole bunch of tricks, my favorite being "play dead." She's so cute, she gets down on her side and closes her eyes and just lies there with her stomach sucked in.  

Sorry, I just realized I'm talking about a puppy to a guy. Well, do I feel stupid.  

How is everybody? You asked how I am, and I'm fine. I feel great! The fresh air has been so...refreshing. Wow, that's lame. Well, it's true, so there.  

Don't worry about me. I'm "progressing beautifully" as my therapist says. Jesse's making me see one because she says this is a very "traumatizing experience for someone so young" and that I "demand help."  

Do I sound like I demand help?  

It's starting to rain now, and Hera's getting restless. I better run inside. Please write back soon! It feels so good to have someone to talk to. That's something I really lack now.  

Always yours,  

Rowan  

March 16th  

Dear Rowan,  

A month, that's how long it's been since I last saw you, since any of us saw you. I'm glad you're starting to get used to life out in the country. And I'm glad you have a dog to keep you company if your aunt can't.  

You sound like you're having a better time than any of us are. I mean, Prongs and me still got into loads of trouble over the past month, and Moony is enjoying his time as a Prefect, and Wormtail...well, Wormtail's being Wormtail, so I figure he must be fine. It's just sort of weird walking to breakfast and not finding you waiting for me, you know?  

I guess not...  

It's hard trying to figure out what to say. I mean, the snow is starting to melt a little bit, and it's starting to feel like spring and everything, but Dumbledore's been giving us these speeches every morning at breakfast about Lord Voldemort. It's sort of depressing, really. I don't know why you let them keep talking about you as an example. Everyday they're talking about how the Death Eaters just attack random people and how any one of the Muggle-borns could be next and how we should be extremely careful and sympathetic and this and that. It's getting sort of dark and dreary... and considering everything, I'm almost glad you're not here to witness it all.  

Sirius

March 30th  

Dear Sirius,  

I understand completely. This Voldemort guy, he's suddenly just come up out of nowhere. Nobody expected him.  

I did my research. He's been killing off Muggles and Muggle-borns since 1970. Six years, Sirius. That's how long this maniac has been slaughtering innocent people. I never realized how evil the world is. I can't understand how the Ministry hasn't caught him yet.  

It's been pouring for such a long time. It seems like I haven't seen sunlight for days, and its getting sort of creepy. Hera's getting extremely antsy. It sort of worries me a bit.  

I think Jesse's getting worried, too. Her excuse is that she thinks the pond might overflow, but I think she thinks something bad is going to happen. And if she thinks something bad is going to happen, what am I supposed to believe?

April 4th  

Dear Rowan,  

I don't know. I still don't understand much about this whole thing. It seems like there's a war going on between Dumbledore and Voldemort. No, a war between Voldemort and the Ministry. A war that none of us knew about until now.  

How could we not know about a war?  

It's pouring here, too. The rain is washing all of the remnants of the snow away, leaving brown, wet, flattened grass. We went to Hogsmeade yesterday. Prongs, Moony, Wormtail and I, I mean. We were laughing at a group of third years who were scared silly of the Shrieking Shack when it just started dropping buckets of water on all of us. It was actually pretty fun running back to the castle.  

What are you planning for break?

April 10th  

Dear Sirius,  

I have nothing planned for break besides staying at home and doing nothing.  

I'm sorry this letter is so short, but I'm at the therapist's office right now and I have to get this owl out of here before my shrink comes back in.

April 12th  

Rowan-  

I'm sorry this is such a short letter, probably the shortest I've ever written, but the train is leaving, and I can't throw an owl out the window, so I'm sending him off now.  

How unbelievable is this? The week most students are leaving, the sun finally comes out. Ironic, right?  

You will hear from me again when we arrive back in London, okay? Until then-Sirius

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

563K 13.1K 38
What if James Potter had a sister? A twin sister who was his complete opposite, but also his best friend. James' sister is of course a wizard. Her na...
298K 6.4K 48
Chloe Reynolds is a muggle-born witch attending Hogwarts School Of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Being friends with James, Sirius, Peter, and Remus isn't...
2.6M 95.9K 58
Ariana Rebecca Dumbledore is the only child of Albus Dumbledore, headmaster of Hogwarts. After being expelled from Beauxbatons, a school in France, s...
494K 12K 122
My name is Valerie Black and Sirius Black is my father, but I don't remember him. You see, he was taken away when I was three and locked up in Azkaba...