The Academy of Alactria

By whekim

Book one In the Alactria Trilogy! Amy is a hunter, trapped in the village where she grew up. With her over co... More

Author's Note
The Choosing (Edited I)
The Hatching (Edited)
Powers (Edited)
Plasma (Edited)
Purple (Edited)
Anchemi (Edited)
Phantom (Edited)
Dragon History (Edited)
The Library (Edited)
A New Member (Edited)
Discovery (Edited)
A Surprise Package (Edited)
Elemental Training
Waves
Electra's POV - The Upper Claw
Heartsobs
Striker's POV - Iron
Truths and Lies
Barney's POV - Secrets
Rumours
Blood
The Dragon King
Author's Note

The Journey (Edited I)

6.4K 261 44
By whekim

A/N - This is the flag for the Academy of Alactria.

The tent was small. A threadbare rug was on the floor, and the four boys were chatting, only pausing when I stood awkwardly in the entryway after the man had disappeared back to the stage, probably to continue with the ceremony. The pink egg was hugged against my chest, the smooth scales cool and comforting.

"The bag is over there,".

I blinked "I'm sorry?". The boy, the one with the fire token and egg, smiled at me.

"Over here,". He stepped towards a low table I hadn't noticed to the side. "We can put our eggs in a bag to keep them safe. It's a pleasure to meet you, Miss-,".

"Amy,". I responded with a small smile, sipping the pink egg into the bag he handed to me. "Just Amy,".

"Nice to meet you. I'm Adam. The stage is pretty scary huh? All those eyes staring at you. I wish I could have put my hood up,". I laughed, and Adam smiled at me, I slipped the bag on my shoulder and turned to the other boys, one of whom looked up at me and smirked. "Do we need to go back up to the stage now?".

"Excuse me?". I said. "What am I, a servant? No, I'm here because I have a dragon egg, not because I'm a messenger,".

The boy looked at me in disbelief. I think he was one of Dhilan's friends.

"You, a Rider? You are just a girl,". His handsome face twisted into a sneer, and I took a step forwards.

"Why you insufferable egotistical idiot! You-".

"I suggest you stop that right now, young lady,". I worked around, a rebuke already on my lips, but it died when I recognised the portly man, the hat placed back onto his head. Three boys slipped past him into the tent, followed by Dhilan, who looked me up and and down as he spoke:

"Don't worry, I'm sure it is a mistake. A girl could never be a Rider, and even so, like I'd let my betrothed shame me by leaving the village to go fight. She is a girl, after all,". He took a step towards me and I leapt backwards, nearly slipping if it weren't for the subtle steadying hand of Adam, catching me before I could damage the egg.

"Well, I guess the betrothal is off, thank the Sun,". I snapped, suddenly feeling irrationally protective over the pink egg by my side. "So why don't you just leave now, before you make a fool of yourself?".

"How dare you!,". He lunged forwards and suddenly I appreciated just how powerful he was. He towered over me, although he was only a few centimetres taller, his muscles bulging as he reached for me. "I am a Chieftain, and you will marry me! When that egg is smashed into pretty pink shards, you won't have an escape route-".

"I'd rather die!". The words burst out of my lips unbidden, and with a jolt I realised I would rather die than see my egg smashed. It was my egg and there was no chance Dhilan would ever get near it.

"What, like your father?". The words made me freeze, a kaleidoscope of memories swirling through my mind, and I took a step back, my arm held out protectively in front of my egg. The portly man stepped forwards, and with a click of his fingers shoved Dhilan back with a gust of wind.

"I think you should leave, Chieftain's Son,". He stated firmly. "Amy is now a Dragon Rider, and to kill a Dragon Rider is punishable by death,". I breathed a sigh of relief as Dhilan left the tent flap, and the man turned to us, forcing a smile on his face.

"Congratulations on receiving your tokens, eggs or both. I trust that you will do your village proud. Split off into pairs and go to each other's homes, packing the bare minimum. All clothes will be provided by the Academy. Be quick!".

I turned on my heel to go, but paused and glanced at Adam. "Thank you,".

He looked extremely puzzled. "For what?".

"For stopping me from falling. If my egg had smashed, I would have been stuck here, betrothed to Dhilan,".

He joined me as I left the tent, and we walked down the lane.

"You would have died,".

I frowned. "What do you mean? By marrying Dhilan? I would have hated it, but I wouldn't have died,".

Adam laughed. "I meant if your egg had smashed. When a Dragon dies, the Rider dies,".

I hummed in response, unsure how to reply as where I lived came into view.

"This way,". I led Adam round the side, to where my window was, and pulled myself over the ledge, being careful not to damage the egg. I didn't want to die anytime soon. Adam followed, and I rummaged in the wardrobe to find an old hunters bag, which I proceeded to fill with books, a small amount of jewellery and my spare bow and quivers. A soft knock on the door had Adam and I turning to the door, and I cautiously walked over.

"Amy? Amy, can I talk to you for a second?". Sending an apologetic look at Adam, I slipped out of the door, leaning against it as I faced my older sister. She was tall, and her brown hair framed her face, and accentuated her eyes.

"What is it Macy?". My sister and I were the antithesis of each other, but I could see the fear in her eyes.

"I just wanted to wish you luck. I know we haven't really been friends, but, just don't die out there. Hone your fighting skills. Here,".

I took the proffered package from her hand, and unwrapped the cloth. It was a silver bracelet, with a clasp in the shape of a stylised dragon's head.

"Thank you,". I said, raising my eyebrows. It wasn't quite her style of jewellery.

"I was going to give it to you for your birthday,". She replied, pulling me into a hug, before backing away and opening her door. "Good luck out there,".

Her door shut and I re-entered the room, sliding the bracelet onto my wrist. Perfect fit.

"Ready?".

"Yep!". I replied, and we slid out of the window, my possessions in a bag slung on my other shoulder. Adam was even faster than me at packing, and we entered the tent well ahead of the others.

Once the final boys had entered the tent, the man ushered us outside, to the field behind the stage. "The dragons are through here,".

The flap swung shut behind me, but I barely registered that. In front of me was my very first dragon!

He was awe inspiring. There was no other word for it. His steel-grey talons were long and curved, and complemented his scarlet scales which plastered the length of his body and four legs. The wings were made of a thin membrane, almost opalescent in places, with thick ridges that emphasised his immense strength in them alone. His entire body was beautifully proportional and his neck led up to a crimson head framed by four grey horns which extended upwards. I watched as the dragon rose from his crouched position, the darkened spines running along his back and tail quivering slightly as the burnt gold eyes focused on me. And narrowed.

Most of the boys took a hasty step back, except for Adam, who was studying the fire dragon intently, and Dhilan's friend who was looking at the dragon with disdain.

Most of them look so scared. Do you think our riders looked that scared? I took a hasty step back, unsure who had spoken. None of the other boys seemed to have heard anything, but as I studied the red dragon, I noticed a smaller blue dragon next to him. She was slimmer, and slightly shorter, with only two horns which were a light copper colour. Her claws were shorter, but her wings appeared to be a lot longer - she must be extremely fast in the sky.

I agree. It's very entertaining. I gue-

Silence! There is a girl!

This voice was harsh, and rugged. Studying the dragons before me, I determined that it must have come from the one on the right. He looked completely different. His scales were marred with scratches, the chocolate brown dulled to a murky maroon. He only had one set of horns, but I could see stumps where others used to be. However, his onyx claws were razor sharp and so were his teeth, which were exposed as he snarled at the others. A dragon with fighting experience then.

A girl? The fire drake, who had turned to look at the blue dragoness, swung his head back and surveyed the group. Deciding that they didn't know I could hear them, I decided to take a step forward.

"Hello. Yes, I am a girl. My name is Amy. What are yours?". Ignoring the looks the boys were shooting at me, which suggested I was going slightly crazy, I inclined my head towards the brown drake. He was evidently the oldest, and the most well respected.

The fire drake cocked his head slightly, examining the token hanging around my neck and the bag containing the egg by my side. Seemingly satisfied, he ran his tongue over his sharp teeth as he responded:

My name is Sayker. The Dragoness is Arelia and the grumpy old dragon is Crayor. It is a pleasure to meet you Amy. Please forgive our rudeness. We did not mean to talk behind your back, but it is unusual for Riders to be able to hear us before their dragon is hatched.

"It is not your fault,". I assured the dragons, and turned back to the group. I couldn't hel but notice that the dragons were no longer talking, and I felt a pang of sadness. Adam nudged me.

"We are riding together. What dragon would you like to ride?".

I surveyed them, and Sayker stepped forwards.

I would be honoured if you were to ride on me, Amy. I will make sure you and your friend do not fall.

I smiled, and gestured to Sayker. "What about the fire drake?". Adam grinned, and we headed towards the Rider, who materialised from around the other side of the dragon. He nodded to us as he mounted, extending a hand to help us up. I went first, and took the proffered hand to pull myself into a seating position, safely nestled between two spines. Adam and another two boys sat behind me, and I felt a lurch as Sayker carefully walked to the right, until there was a clear space between him and the other dragons. With a snap, the wings extended outwards, and I could see the powerful muscles contract.

"Hold on tight!". The rider warned, and I reached for the spine in front of me, grabbing it just as the red wings rose simultaneously, the shadow echoing it's movements as there was a powerful lurch and I could feel myself slipping back until I felt the spine behind me pressing into my back. The ground was falling away beneath us, the individual ladies of grass merging into one, the gouges the claws had made into the mud fading as we rose higher and higher, until the wind buffeted us and my ears throbbed. The great wings curved and I was momentarily blinded as the sun flashed in front of my eyes - bright and dazzling - before it was behind us, and the wings dazzled as they propelled us forwards. I loosened my grip on the spine slightly; but not completely. A fall from this height would kill me.

Impressive, I heard a voice muse. The group I picked up from the previous village screamed.

I laughed, the stress and awkwardness from just an hour ago, blowing away in the breeze. I was free! No longer was I going to be forced into a marriage I did not want, live in a house I didn't like, stay home and weave instead of hunt. I was free! My emotions whizzed through my brain and I felt exhilarated, the wind whistling on either side on my face. My eyes stung from it's force, but I didn't care.

"Why would anyone scream? This is the best thing I have ever experienced!".

Then you were born to be a Dragon Rider.

I paused for a second, toying with my token around my throat. A female Dragon Rider! I've never heard of one before, but any worries I had was dissipated in the breeze. I was born to be up here, with the mountains looming to my right, snow capped peaks dwarfing the coloured fields and the brown smudges of villages.

"How long do we have left? I don't ever want this sensation to end,".

Around five minutes or so. The path is extremely short by dragon flight.

"Oh. Sakyer?".

Yes Amy?

"Are you a fire dragon?".

Yes I am. My rider is called Lucius. I felt a flash of guilt at not asking his name.

"Who is in charge of the dragons at the academy?". To my surprise, it was Lucius who replied.

"The Headmaster's dragon. Like Rider, Like Dragon,".

"Thank you Lucius,". I replied. He showed no sign of surprise at me knowing his name, and I wondered if Sayker had already told him. Deciding to talk to Sayker rather than Lucius, I asked:

"What is it like at the Academy? Do you know what element my dragon is?".

No, I do not. I have never heard of a pink dragon egg. And the Academy is lovely, but a lot of hard work. You have to be prepared to be. Woken up at the crack of dawn, and when you graduate you could be called into active service any day.

"Who would we be fighting?".

Anyone. It could e someone who has invaded Alactria, fighting on behalf of an ally or against the self imposed ruler of Dragons, the Dragon King, Quaem.

"Why would you fight against the King of Dragons? Is he not a good King?".

If you are not a fire dragon, then he is awful. But he also would like to destroy the Academy. He does not approve of Dragons and Riders. But you will learn this at the Academy. You may want to hold onto the spine again.

Realising that I had let go of Sayker's spine, I warped my fingers around it, just as Lucius called:

"We are about to descend! Hold on the spine in front of you!".

Sayker's wings, appearing coppery in the evening sun, angled downwards, and I could feel us dropping in altitude. Beneath us I could start to distinguish individual trees, although they still looked like blobs, but as Sayker angled towards the left, my breath hitched in my throat.

In front of us spread an immense castle, the beige stones towering out of the surrounding countryside. The four turrets sported a bright flag which was flapping wildly in the wind, and the multiple windows reflected the dying rays of the sun. The red wings folded in tightly, and we dropped the final few feet; Sayker's wings flared out in a dazzling arc of scarlet as he leaned with a resounding thud, the talons clicking against the paving slabs. I slid off, and could hear the other boys doing the same behind me as I inclined my head towards Sayker.

"Thank you,".

His eyes glimmered with amusement as he nodded. Good luck Amy. And good luck to your future dragonet. I am sure we will see each other again.

We all hurried clear as his wings spread out, and he nodded to me once more as he took off, his scales glimmering dully in the shadow of the immense castle. I turned to face the doors once he had rounded a turret, and was out of sight, and was greeted with the sight of another stage. On this stage stood a man with a receding hairline, who was surveying us. His blue eyes crinkled as he caught sight of a boy to my right, and we joined the crowd accumulating before him.

"Hello, new students", he said. His voice was gravelly, and as he spoke, a scar on his throat was exemplified in gorily gruesome detail.  "I am Headmaster Silverfield. We trust you to obey our rules, train hard, work hard and form lifelong bonds with your Anchemis. After all, as you will learn here, you will be desperately needed in the years to come to uphold Alactria's laws, catch all wrongdoers and brave treacherous lands to defend our country and its people for the greater good! Alas, some of you will be called out sooner than you think. For according to intelligence, the Dragon King Quaem will soon set his sights on the Academy. But worst than that, the rogue rider and his chained dragon are still at large,". There was a collective gasp. I looked at the other people from my village. They all looked blank. None of us had ever heard of Quaem or the rogue dragon rider before today. The Headmaster continued: "But, that's is enough for now; our senior Prefects will show you to your rooms. Make sure that you rest well tonight as you have lessons in the morning. Prefects, I will let you do your duties."

"How early do you think we will be called out to fight?" Adam mused. I considered his question, as we weaved through the crowd to the Senior Prefect for Dragon Riders and Mages.

"Probably not until our dragons are fully grown. I can't see any benefit in sending out immature dragons, and Riders who may not be able to fight,".

"Hmm,". Adam responded. We scribbled our names on a pieces of paper and the Senior Prefect smiled at us, her yellow eyes twinkling.

"I am Javier,", he announced in a haughty attitude, his accent making her words clipped and harsh. "I have recently returned from the front. I will show you to your rooms. Please follow me,". The small group surrounding Adam and I murmured, and I pushed my hair of my shoulder without thinking. Some blue eyes narrowed, and a boy stalked past me, his mutter fairly audible:

"What is a girl doing here? She won't be able to withstand the training,".

"Come on,". I said sharply to Adam, and we joined the end of the group as they started to clamber up a spiral staircase. Round and round and round. Soon mine, and indeed the rest of the boys breaths were coming in ragged pants, ad I wiped my clammy hands on my leggings as I climbed up another spiral staircase. To my relief, the Prefect led us down a long corridor rather than carry on going up, but I could see that we were extremely high up. The footsteps echoed down the stone hallway; for my part I barely noticed as I tried to calculate how may floors we had climbed.

We had the ground floor, then the first floor, then there was that corridor a level up with the strange smell emanating from one of the rooms; what even was that smell? Then there was at least another tw-

"Amy Lanstock?".

I stepped forwards, already feeling the stares prickling against my back.

"I'm here,". To his credit, the Prefect just blinked, and handed to me a bronze key.

"Room 602,".

I nodded and stepped to the side, watching Adam collecting his room key, ad we proceeded to walk down the corridor, Adam murmuring the numbers:

"635, 627, 619, 612, 605 - ah, here we go!". He stopped outside of Room 603, and I smiled at him, turns to face the door right opposite.

"See you tomorrow!".

"See you then!".

With a soft creak, my door slid open and I stepped inside, my feet instantly sinking into the soft beige carpet. Directly opposite me was an open glass door, which ed out onto a huge balcony, easily big enough for a large dragon to land on. The door closed behind me with a hard click as I walked forwards, eyes wide. The bed was huge! It was a four poster bed, with thick - is that silk? - purple curtains hanging down at either corner. The pillows were plump, and the dark wood matched with the wardrobe and chest of drawers. I padded over to the wardrobe, pulling it open to reveal multiple t-shirts and a form of baggy jumper with a hood. They were looked to be my size - how did they know? Cloaks were neatly folded in the corner, and boots littered the floor of the wardrobe. Trusting that the chest of drawers contained more clothes my size, my attention turned to the other side of the room where there was an open door, which presumably led to a bathroom, a large pedestal and a suit of armour. The pedestal was lined with straw and feathers, and I carefully reached into the bag by my side, pulling out the egg and placing it the centre of the bedding. It rocked slightly, and I slowly moved my hands when the egg showed no more inclination of moving. To the left of the pedestal was the suit of armour, and I studied it critically. The shoulder pads and greaves were a dull metallic purple, whilst the segmented armour was a soft pink, although it still had a metallic sheen.

Through the windows, I could see that the sky was getting extremely dark, the dying rays of the sun creating an orange glow. I placed my things on the floor, leaning it against the armour's pedestal, and changed into some shorts and a top with straps, provided for by the Academy. How did they know my size? Closing the curtains, I blinked. What was that? The darkened room had lots of oddly shaped shadows, but one of them definitely moved. I yanked the curtains back, illuminating the room. Soft light skilled across the room, chasing away the blackness. I turned to where the shadow had been, to find that it was an empty stretch of wall. But the wall hadn't created a shadow. Spooked, I slipped under the covers, propping myself up so I could survey the room. I left the curtains open.

Something has to create shadows, and wa=hat ever it was, it definitely isn't there now.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

15.8K 1.2K 19
The Final Book in the Alactria trilogy! Please read The Academy of Alactria and The Dragon King first. Amy has lost her brother to the King, a dragon...
73.7K 4.6K 20
(Book One of the Elemental Series)Bella has only known a terrible life living with her Aunt and Uncle. She longs for an escape and to discover the tr...
403 91 19
Midway through Thalia O'Callahan's third year at Ridgeview Academy, dragons begin to show up vandalized right before vanishing. No one can figure out...
80.8K 3.9K 25
The Acadmey of Dragon Riding Excellencecy has been hiden for 425 years, but it had few riders. People were loosing their 'belief'. That, among other...