Vera In Love

By xicanawrites

Vera Martinez has never dated. (Leaving out her seven minutes in heaven with a boy from fourth grade). All sh... More

Author's Note
Aesthetics
One
Two
Three
Four
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Seventeen
Eighteen
Nineteen

Five

229 10 1
By xicanawrites

"It feels like I haven't seen you since we've gotten here," Nathan comments.

Ever since the church ceremony, I've been running around like una loca around the reception. I hardly had a second to even spend time with Nathan. Luckily, with a little help from Frida. I've gotten a chance to escape just a little.

"I'm sorry. Maid of honor is responsible for most of the things happening in this room."

I take a seat next to him at the open bar. Nathan had a plate of five tacos de carne asada. I can almost feel my stomach growl. I order a loaded margarita with a Corona bottle flipped inside it. I take a long sip. Nathan stares at me impressed that I just downed half the glass.

"That hit the spot. Have you eaten?"

Nathan nods. "I ordered another five tacos with rice and smashed beans."

"I can eat a whole cow."

I drink the rest of the margarita. Nathan takes a taco and holds it in front of my face. Specifically my mouth.

"Eat," he says. "You can't be running crazy on an empty stomach."

I don't hesitate and take a bite. I close my eyes to savor the tenderness of the meat. My body relaxes as I gulp down the food. A small moan escapes my lips.

"I'm so hungry," I whine a little.

Nathan chuckles. He takes another taco and feeds it to me. I gladly accept it. He's about to feed me another taco when my phone rings. I check to see it's Alma.

"I've got to go," I say.

"Maid of honor responsibilities?"

I nod. "Text me if anything."

After hours of speeches, the bouquet throwing, the lace, dances with family members, and the cutting of the cake; I hugged Nathan from behind. My head resting on his back as my arms wrapped around his waist. Nathan tensed a little, but relaxed when he saw it was me.

"Tired?" Nathan asks.

I nod against him. "Being maid of honor drained the hell out of me."

I feel Nathan turn, and remove my arms from his waist. A slow song comes on.

"Dance with me," Nathan says as he jumps off the stool.

I don't say anything as he pulls me onto the dance floor. My head automatically rests on his chest as my arms wrap around his neck. Nathan's hands fall to my waist. We dance like this. I can hear the whispers from the family.

"You know," Nathan says. "I really like this dating thing."

"Yeah?" I say looking up at him.

As I did, Nathan looks down. Our noses barely touching and lips inches away. I can feel my heartbeat speed up.

"Yeah. I'd like to go out on more dates with you, Vera."

My heart sings. Is he being serious?

"Really?"

Nathan smiles. His dimples making an appearance. "I like being with you."

A heartstring plucks to skip a beat.

"So do I," I say quick.

I can feel my face warm up. Hiding my face in his chest, Nathan chuckles. He kisses the top of my head. I want to melt right in his arms. I want to take this moment and tuck it in my pocket forever.

Did you get home safe?

- Yes. Did you?

Yes, but my brother insisted we go out for some pork belly and soju.
So I'm stuck with him for the rest of the night.

- Why is your brother visiting?

He's not visiting. He was sent by my parents to check on me.
They want to see that I'm not wasting my time here.

- Oh I see . .

Stop worrying.

- What?

You're worrying.

- I'm not worrying.

Yes you are.

- So what if I am . .
- What happens if your parents find out you're "wasting your time"?

I go back to Seoul.

- I'll make sure you don't waste your time.
- I want to have you here a little longer.

So do I, Vera.

- Nathan?

Yeah?

- My dad wants you to come over for brunch tomorrow.
- He wants to get to know you.

Should I be scared?

- No.

Alright. I'll be there.
You should get some sleep.

- I will . . after a season of Downton Abbey.

Night Vera. xx

The next morning I woke up an hour before Nathan would arrive. I shower and change into gym shorts with an oversized t-shirt with Shakespeare's face in centered. After blow drying my hair, I go downstairs to see Wita putting on the kettle.

"Buenos días," I greet Wita with a back hug.

She gasps surprised. "Mi niña." She turns around to kiss both my cheeks. "Did you sleep well?"

"So-so. What's there to eat?" I ask nosing around the kitchen.

Wita takes out the China tea set from the glass cabinets. A gift from her for my parents' wedding.

"I'll cook you torrijas. I'm cooking brunch for your father and visiter. How does poached eggs with avocado and feta, pastel azteca and cheese with bacon scones sound?"

"Perfecta!" I exclaim.

Wita giggles as she goes on cooking my torrijas. I take a seat at the breakfast and my phone dings with a notification. I check to see a text from Nathan.

Morning! Did you sleep well?

- Good morning :)
- Yes a little. And you?

I woke up with a headache.

- Are you alright??

I'm fine. I just wouldn't recommend drinking eight soju bottles.

- Are you still coming over for brunch?

I panic because dad hates when someone cancels on him after he's invited them. He holds small grudges for the smallest things.

Of course.
Wouldn't want your dad to think bad of me.
Are you busy later today?

- No. I'm free all day.
- Why??

To spend the day with you silly.
I was thinking of going to a bookstore and take you out for some authentic Korean BBQ.

- Is this another date??

Maybe ;)
Will you say yes??

- You had me at bookstore.

I adore you, Vera.

I couldn't help but giggle like a little girl. Wita turns curiously with an arched brow. I hide my smile behind my hand. She turns back to avoid burning the food. Whoa, how can I control this excitement.

Dad later comes down into the kitchen. Wita had just put the pastel azteca into the oven. She's about to make the batter for the scones.

"Good morning to my beautiful mother and daughter. Vera, I hope your friend didn't cancel today's brunch."

He kisses Wita. I take a bite of my torrija when he comes to kiss my cheek.

"He's coming," I confirm him.

Dad nods. "Excellent. Padre, buenas dias."

At the entrance of the kitchen, Wito dressed in cream chinos, a mint green guayabera short-sleeve stood there with a newspaper in hand. His natural sun-kissed skin contrasts with the bright colors he wore. Wito had always had an elegant, but casual sense of style. Since most of his time is spent at the research field in Seville - he's always worn cargo shirts and worn out t-shirts. Wita always nagged him about dressing more presentable.

"Who's coming over?" Wito asks as he takes a seat next to me.

"A male friend of Vera," Wita answers.

I look slowly at Wito. Besides dad's approval, I also wanted Wito to appove of Nathan. Wito's approval means a great deal to me. I was closests to my grandparents from dad's side.

Silently, Wito unfolds his newspaper and hands the Arts section to me.

"Add another cup, Constancia." Was all that
Wito said before stealing my last torrija.

I was in the living room with Wita. A smaller tea set sat still on the coffee table. Wita was answering emails. Amá left minutes ago with Alma on the phone. Her and James arrived safely in London for their honeymoon.

I was sitting next to Wita on the other end of the couch. I was trying to get through the first chapter of the new book I was reading. But the fact that Nathan was out in the garden having tea with dad and Wito - worried me. What if Nathan says something and they interpret it wrong? Laughs from the garden echo into the house. My ears perk up for a chance to hear bits of the conversations. Nothing. All I hear is mumbling, birds chirping, and a lawnmower. I open the book again and try to actually read the words printed on it.

More laughs and low talk. I slam the book shut making Wita look up from her laptop.

"What's the matter mi niña?" Wita asks worryingly.

I sigh. "I want to know what they're talking about. If they're getting along."

More laughs.

"Mi niña, I'm sure this boy of yours will charm both Wito and Amado."

Their voices ascend from the garden into the living room. Wita and I stand up from our spots. The three men walked in laughing - Wito had his arm around Nathan's shoulder.

"Fridays are family nights, mijo. You are welcomed of my Vera allows it."

Nathan turns in my direction. His round glasses fitting perfectly on his god-like face. His hair was combed back, but small hairs still fell over his forehead. He was dressed in a striped button-up with a few unbuttoned. To show a little of his pale skin. It was tucked in his stressed black jeans with a thin Gucci belt. He wore shined black Oxfords. His Rolex expensively wrapped around his left arm. Nathan looked to good to be standing between my dad and Wito.

"How about it?" He asks towards me.

Did my ears hear correctly? Wito just called Nathan, mijo. Wito officially invited Nathan to Friday family nights. We aren't even a couple.

"Vera?" Nathan's voice makes its way into my thoughts.

"Yeah?"

"Fridays," Nathan states.

I nod. "Everyone arrives around eight."

Nathan follows behind me as we walk through the bookshelves at Barnes & Noble. I carry the store bookbag and stuff it with a couple books. I pick out a Penguin's edition of Pride and Prejudice. I bring it up to my nose and flip the pages to breathe in that book smell. I let out a satisfying sigh before placing the book into the bag.

Nathan leans his back towards the bookshelf with his arms crossed against his chest. From the corner of my eye I watch him stare at me with a smirk across his face. I turn to see his face with amusement.

"What?" I ask.

"I'm not ignoring the fact that you just smelled a book."

"It's a habit. Get used to it."

Nathan pushes himself off the bookshelf and reaches for the bookbag. Our fingers slightly brushing as he takes the straps from my hand.

"I'll carry it for you," he says.

"Alright," I squeak out.

"Nathan?" A pitchy voice says from behind him.

He turns and I look his shoulder. There stood a tall and slim young Korean woman. Her bleached hair curled that cascaded over her shoulders. She wore a yellow crop-top with a white maxi skirt and a pair of sandal wedges to complete the look.

"Eunjin," Nathan says nonchalantly.

This Eunjin looks over his shoulder. Her round color-contact eyes narrow at me. I gulp. All of sudden I felt small in her presence. Eunjin purses her lips into a flat line. Nathan unexpectedly steps in front of me. Blocking her from my view.

"Wow, it really is you. How long has it been? Five years? How are your parents?"

She flips her bleached curls off her shoulder. Her handbag hung on her elbow as her other hand reaches towards Nathan. He steps back - grabbing my wrist. I hold my breath. My skin burning under his warm touch.

"You still have their number?" He asks her.

Eunjin laughs. "Yes. Why?"

"Call them to find out yourself."

Eunjin's smile frowns unimpressed at Nathan's sarcasm. She flips strands of hair away from her face.

"You haven't changed. Mother would be so happy to see you. How about we arrange-"

"Choi Eunjin!" Nathan's voice harsh and cold. That it makes both of us jolt and others look at our direction. "Give it up. I don't want anything to do with you anymore."

Eunjin frowns. "Junseok-ah."

Nathan stiffens at the sudden name change. He lets go of my wrist as he takes quicken steps to Eunjin. She perks up her lips. Eunjin reaches for Nathan's face but he harshly swats it away.

"Never call me that," he says through this teeth.

He turns on his heels back to me. Nathan's upset face barely softens as he sees my shocked expression. Nathan takes my hand and interwines are fingers together. My heart jolts. My mind swirming in confusion. What had just happened? Who is this Eunjin to Nathan?

"I'm sorry." Were his only words said as he pulled me behind him.

Leaving a confused crowd and startled Eunjin behind in the bookshelves. We take the escalators down to the first floor where the cash registers were at. I paid for my books. Nathan had his hand on my waist while I needed both hands to carry on with my purchase. He takes it again. Only holding it tighter than before. Nathan didn't speak a word when we got to his car.

He drove out the parking lot into the night time streets at Glendale. Nathan used his phone to navigate him to Koreatown. I guess we're still going out for Korean BBQ. I just hope this Eunjin was just a bump on the road.

Hola :) Have a good week!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

403K 23.2K 43
Spirited, Londoner Natalia ends up in small town, Texas when she signs up for a year long exchange programme for teachers. Finding herself a Black B...
36K 4.3K 40
[AMBYS 2023 Top picks in humor novellas ✨️] Lee Cook is heartbroken; his wife left him for another woman after twelve years of marriage. He vows to n...
3K 263 27
After the 24-year-old, content creator and influencer Muna Amadi was betrayed by her boyfriend and bestfriend, she decided to move to New York for a...
3.5M 106K 65
❝ I don't have time to waste thinking about a boy who will only destroy my future,❞ I say getting closer to him with every word, maybe a little too c...