Hope's Heart

By CamelotHealer

Young widow Hope McClellen leaves her farm in Pennsylvania for a new life out West with her daughter Maggie... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen: Epilogue

Chapter Eleven

13.1K 741 35
By CamelotHealer

A/N: Chapter Eleven is here! For those of you who read about Hope and Calvin's kiss at the end of Chapter Ten, I've gone back and edited that bit so that the kiss never happened. Sorry! Just to let you know so that there's no confusion as you read this chapter. 

Enjoy!

Chapter Eleven

Several days later

"Come on. One step at a time," Hope encouraged, walking on one side of Luc as the young man slowly descended the stairs, his wounded shoulder wrapped in a sling. Maggie was on the other side, echoing her mother with a concerned look on her face that matched Hope so much Calvin, who was watching, couldn't help but grin.

They reached the bottom step and Luc stopped dead. "That's it. I can walk on my own now; it wasn't my leg that got shot."

"No," Nellie retorted, emerging from the kitchen, "but it's your head that'll be feelin' the weight of my hand iffen you don't listen to me and Hope."

Calvin grinned. "Better listen to the doc, 'Doc'," he teased.

Luc tried to glare at him, but the scowl developed into an answering grin. "Okay," he said reluctantly. "Just let me get out onto the porch. I feel like I've been in jail for years."

Hope sighed. "Fine. But no farther, or else you'll have to answer to me and Maggie."

"Yeah!" The little girl echoed, her arms folded in an exact parody of Miss Nellie, making Calvin laugh outright. He glanced up and his eyes caught Hope's. She smiled, a slight hint of colour rising in her cheeks, and then looked away hastily.

Calvin sighed a bit. Even though things were back to normal between him and Hope, he was still conflicted about telling her his feelings, especially in the light of the fact that the men who shot Luc could still be out there. The last thing he wanted was for her or Maggie to get hurt.

"Mr Cal?"

The voice made him look down. Maggie was looking at him, a worried look in her dark eyes. "Yeah?"

"Are you okay?"

Calvin crouched down so that he was on eye level with her, a slight smile on his face. "Sure, kid." He tugged lightly on one of her braids. "Why?"

She shrugged. "You just looked sad for a bit."

He looked away. "I was thinking about somethin' else for a while. But I'm alright now."

She smiled. "Good." She reached out her small hand, and Calvin took it, a surge of protectiveness rising in him as he looked down at her. There was no way he would let anything bad happen to her---or her mother.

~

"Did you find anything yet?" Luc asked a while later. He was sitting on the porch bench, while Calvin was standing, whittling deftly at a piece of wood while his eyes roamed the busy street. With winter coming in, folks were starting to visit the store more often, buying provisions to store up for the cold weather. 

Calvin shook his head. "No."

"I thought you had the bullet."

"I did, but...it was from a Winchester. Lots of men in town and on the ranches own them; I couldn't know whose it was." He'd talked to the sheriff, but Wyatt had waved him away with vague promises and a contemptuous look in his eye. So, Calvin had continued the investigation on his own, but after five days with no answer, he was beginning to think about giving up.

Luc glanced at the boarding-house door before speaking in a lower voice. "Do you think they were after you?"

"I don't know." Calvin stared at his best friend. "But I want to be ready when I find out."

There was a moment of silence, and then Luc spoke up. "So what's going on between you and Hope?" There was a slight grin on his face.

Calvin raised his eyebrows. "I don't know what you mean."

Luc rolled his eyes. "You're my best friend; you should be able to tell me the truth." He glanced at Calvin. "Have you told her how you feel about her?"

The brown-haired man shook his head. "No."

"What's stopping you? Miss Landry?"

Calvin smiled wryly. "Not that, either. I told her I wasn't interested. It's just..." His voice trailed off. "I don't want Hope gettin' mixed up in any of my problems."

Luc nodded. "I guess you're right. But Hope knows the truth about you now; I think she can handle it." There was a hint of admiration in his voice. "She's a lot stronger than she looks, you know."

Calvin smiled and didn't reply. But as he kept on whittling at the piece of wood, his mind was busy forming a plan.

~

"That'll be three dollars." Mr Gerson, the grey-haired storekeeper, frowned over the counter at Hope and Angel. 

Hope reached into her purse, digging out the money. "Here you are, Mr Gerson. Thank you." She lifted the rolls of cloth off the counter, passing one to Angel. The two women left the store, smiling to the customers who were entering.

"I can't believe we're ordering more cloth already," Angel said as they walked down Main Street. "The shop's doing really well."

"I know." Hope smiled. "God's been good." In more ways than one, she thought silently, glancing across to where Calvin stood on the boarding-house porch chatting to Luc.

Calvin must have seen her, because he excused himself and came over at a light run, stopping in front of them. "Give ya a hand with those?"

Hope smiled. "We're fine, thanks. We were just heading to the shop."

"Can I talk to you for a minute?" Calvin asked, his voice lowering a bit.

Hope glanced at Angel and nodded. "I'll just be a minute," she said to the other girl.

"Alright," the brunette replied, taking the extra rolls of cloth from her friend. "I'll open up. Don't take too long." She smiled, hazel eyes dancing with mischief, and Hope blushed.

Calvin waited until she was gone before speaking again. "I was going to ask you...Would you..." Heat seared his cheeks and his drawl was noticeably more pronounced as he continued. "Would you...like...to come to dinner with me?" The last few words were jammed together in a rush.

Hope stared at him, not quite believing her ears. "You mean...tonight?"

Calvin nodded. "Yeah...if you want to, that is."

Hope smiled, her heart beating fast and hard with excitement. "I'd--I'd like that."

It was all Calvin could do to keep the grin off his face. "When do you want me to get you?"

"Seven would be fine."

"Alright." Calvin tipped his hat and walked away, but Hope stood there for a minute longer, willing her heart to slow down, unable to hide the smile on her face.

~

Time seemed to pass particularly slowly that afternoon. Hope struggled to concentrate, jabbing her finger more than once. Eventually, Angel called a halt.

"You're going to bleed all over the new dresses if you keep doin' that," she said. "Gonna tell me what's goin' on?"

Hope glanced at her. "Calvin asked me out to dinner."

A smile split Angel's face. "I never! When?"

"Tonight. I think he's taking me to Sue Kelly's."

The brunette grinned. "You excited?"

Hope smiled. "More nervous, I think. I haven't gone out with anyone since....well, since Adam." A small pang of sadness jabbed at her with the memory of her late husband, but she forced it away. "I'm not sure what to wear."

Angel's eyes sparkled. "Don't worry. I have something." She got up and went into the back room, returning a few minutes later with a dress draped over her arm. She held it up, and Hope's breath caught.

The dress was dark green with a white lace collar and matching lace edging on the hem and sleeves. White pearl buttons trailed down the front, stopping at the waist. The neckline dipped down, just high enough for modesty's sake and yet low enough for an 'evening dress'.

Hope's eyes unexpectedly watered and she blinked the tears back. "It's beautiful."

Angel smiled at her. "Made it a couple of months back. I was going to wear it to sing one evenin', but I guess this is as good an occasion as any."

Hope reached out and squeezed her hand. "Thank you."

~

"Pacin' like a caged tiger ain't gonna make her get down here no faster, you know," Nellie said as she watched Calvin crossing the floor for the fiftieth time that evening. 

Calvin nodded. "I know." He sat down, running his fingers through his hair. He'd changed for the evening; still wearing his hide coat, but a new red shirt underneath it.

He glanced at the clock, and just then, he heard a voice behind him that made him turn. "I'm ready."

Hope stood in the doorway, a tentative smile on her face. She was wearing the dark green dress Angel had given her, Maggie by her side.

Calvin swallowed. "You look...nice." The words stuck in his throat. Nice was definitely an understatement. She looked beautiful.

Hope flushed slightly. "Thank you." She crouched down and kissed Maggie on the forehead. "Be a good girl while I'm gone, alright?"

Maggie nodded, beaming. "Yes, mama."

"Y'all don't stay out too late now," Nellie said sternly, but there was a twinkle in her eye. Hope smiled at her, and left the room, Calvin following.

~

The cafe was actually a nice place. Built into the side of the general store, the small room was dotted with tables with a good view of the Main Street. Even in the evening, there were still some people around and they nodded 'good evening' to Calvin and Hope as they passed, some with smirks on their faces that brought a rush of colour to Hope's face.

After ordering their meal, Calvin turned to Hope. "Are you alright?"

She glanced up. "Fine. It's just...I'm a bit nervous. I haven't been out like this in ages."

Calvin smiled. "It's alright. I can't say this isn't the first time I've done this either."

Hope laughed. "I doubt that very much."

He frowned. "Why?"

Caught off-guard, Hope bit her lip. "I don't know. I just think..." Her chin tilted and she spoke honestly. "I just don't know why anyone would turn you down." A blush crawled up her neck as she spoke, but she was relieved when the words were out. 

Calvin couldn't help a slight grin at seeing her flustered. "Thanks," he said teasingly, and the ice was broken.

The rest of the evening was spent laughing and talking. Hope soon relaxed, and began enjoying herself. The food was delicious, and even after their plates were empty they stayed, chatting and joking with one another.

It was dark when the two of them left the cafe and began to walk back to the boarding-house. As they walked, Calvin asked, "Do you have any family, Hope?"

She stopped and glanced up at him. "Why?"

He shrugged. "I'm just asking."

Hope shook her head. "No, I don't have a family...anymore. They died when I was eighteen. A wagon accident."

"Did you have any brothers or sisters?"

"No. I was an only child." A slight hint of sadness coloured Hope's tone as she spoke. "I became a seamstress after they died. I was working in Pennsylvania when...when I met Adam."

She sighed. "I never said goodbye to his parents when I left. I was worried they wouldn't understand...that they blamed me for his dying. That's the only thing I regret."

"I'm sorry." Calvin's voice was quiet. "Do you miss him?"

Hope nodded. "Sometimes. Not as much as I used to, though." She stopped as they reached the porch. "Thank you for dinner. It was lovely."

"Hope?" 

She turned. "Yes?"

Calvin finally found the words. "You looked beautiful tonight." 

She smiled. "Thank you. Goodnight, Calvin."

Calvin watched her go inside, biting back a small sigh. One day, he would tell her how he felt...soon.

He walked on. He didn't see the pair of hate-filled eyes watching his every move, or hear the feet that moved swiftly and silently away from the vantage point beside the livery.

Pete Carson walked quickly back to the warehouse on the edge of town. Entering, he found his brother asleep on the floor and kicked him awake roughly.

Quinn jerked awake, a curse on his lips. "What the heck d'you think you're doing?!"

Pete squatted down, a grin on his face. "I just found a way to get to that bounty hunter. Now, are you gonna shut up and let me tell you the plan?"

Quinn's eyes gleamed and he smirked. "I'm all ears."

~

A/N: So, Hope and Calvin have had their first date! What devious plan do the Carson brothers have up their sleeve? Will Calvin get the chance to tell Hope how he feels about her? Or will he lose someone else he cares for?

Reviews and votes are welcome! 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Angel's Song By Cassie

Historical Fiction

52.4K 4.2K 14
Angel Donovan survived the Civil War, Sherman's invasion of the South, and years of humiliation singing in saloons, but even though she has left her...
36.4K 2.7K 37
LaNae Sinclair is an 18 year old who has many dreams and aspirations but has yet to decide what route she will go down as she steps into adulthood wi...
378K 8.6K 20
*COMPLETED* Welcome to Buckley's Ranch, full of sexy cowboys and all kinds of trouble! Lord 'ave mercy! Jessie is working as a stable hand, seriously...
224 23 10
Twenty-two year old, Margaret, Maggie, Prince have never had an easy childhood. With her parents favoring her twin more than her, she began to try to...