Chapter Six

A/N: I meant to post this chapter tomorrow, but decided to write it early as a present for all my lovely voters and reviewers :) Enjoy!

Dedicated to WhenCallstheHeart  -  you're the best! 

Chapter Six

One year earlier...

"Hope, wake up."

Hope stretched, the voice in her ear rousing her from sleep. Opening her eyes, she smiled at the man kneeling by the bed. "Morning, Adam."

He smiled back, his light Irish brogue low and warm as he spoke. "Morning to you too. Listen, I've gotta try and break in that stallion before I start the planting, so I'll be out in the corral until lunch."

Hope frowned, sitting up. "The stallion you got from Mr Grier? Adam, he's dangerous."

Her husband smiled. "I've broken stallions before. This one'll be easy." He squeezed her shoulder gently and then leaned forward and kissed her. "See you at lunch."

Hope watched him go, the nagging feeling of dread in her gut fading away at his assurance. Everything would be fine. 

The morning passed quietly, as usual. The McClellen ranch was several miles away from the nearest town, and they had no hired hands as yet, so Hope and Adam did most of the work themselves, with help from Adam's parents who lived nearby. After milking the cows and collecting the eggs, Hope went inside, where her mother-in-law was watching Maggie.

"Hard to believe she's just turned two," Cora McClellen said, looking wistfully at the toddler as she played on the floor. "They grow up so fast, don't they?"

Hope smiled. "That's for sure." She glanced at the clock. "I'd better go out and fetch Adam in from the corral. Do you mind keeping an eye on the stove for me?"

Cora shook her head. "No. With Henry in Denver, I'm real glad you and Adam are letting me help out; makes me feel less old." She stroked Maggie's hair. "Plus I can never spend too much time with my grand-daughter."

Hope laughed and left the house. Gathering her skirts in her hand, she headed toward the corral. As she got closer, she caught sight of Adam, sitting on the back of the stallion, a proud grin on his face as he leaned forward and stroked the animal's neck.

Hope couldn't help the pride that shone in her heart. I knew he could do it. Coming closer, she called out, "Adam!"

Everything seemed to happen in slow motion after that. Adam turned his head, surprise on his features, and the stallion let out a frightened whinny, rearing up in the air. Hope watched in horror as her husband was thrown backwards, arms and legs flailing. His head slammed hard off the corral fence, before he landed on the ground.

Hope stood frozen for only a second, and then she let out a piercing scream. "Adam!"

~

Present day

Calvin reached Sweetwater around mid-afternoon.  Tired and dusty, he climbed down off his horse, fastening the reins to the livery gate post. 

"Didn't expect to see you back so early," Sven Nordstrom, the burly blacksmith, said. He glanced at the sweat-lathered horse and his brow creased. "You musta near ridden that animal into the ground. Want me to take care of him for ya?"

"Thanks, Sven." Calvin turned, fully intending to head to the baths to freshen up and then to the cafe in order to get something to eat , but something caught his attention.