Fighting For Him

Bởi Bella-234

Scarlett is your average eighteen year old. Well average eighteen year old shifter anyway. She has just turne... Xem Thêm

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
What comes next.....
My Decision
Epilogue

Chapter 7

14.3K 270 8
Bởi Bella-234

The dining room feels overly warm as I am sit at the table, the hum of different conversations surround me, but I can’t join in with any, instead I am content to just push the steak sat in front of me around on the plate. A sharp intake of breath whistles through my teeth as contact is made against my shin and pain shoots up my leg, glaring daggers I look up at the person sat across from me but Mandy just smiles sweetly.

“Are you okay Scar?” She says as she spoons more roast potatoes onto her plate.

“As good as I’m going to be, except now my ankle hurts.” I say sarcastically. "What about you?”

“I’m alright, I’ve been working hard for weeks, I won’t get myself killed but I won’t win either and that is exactly the spot I want to be in.” She oozes confidence that I could only dream of possessing. “And you’ll be fine too; you’re so much tougher than I am.” My brother squeezes my hand from the seat next to me and I smile up at him.

It was only a week ago that the three of us were in the Pack House at the Alpha’s ball yet it seems like a lifetime, and it was only a few weeks before that that life was normal, now I can barely remember what normal is.

The clanging of a piece of cutlery against a glass ceases all conversation and my dad stands up to be seen from the spot at the head of the table, his gaze sweeps over the two families, mine and Mandy’s, before he starts to speak.

“It’s nice to have everyone together the day before such a grand occasion.” He pauses and I scoff quietly only drawing the attention of Mandy and Gray. “Change is scary, and as the girls both turned eighteen they went through the scariest change someone of our kind could make, but at the same time they have grown up immensely and now they are facing yet another challenge like few others have ever faced or will ever face. These two girls sat here this evening are the bravest of us all and for that we should raise our glasses to them. When the sun begins to set tomorrow evening they will start a journey and win or lose they will make us all very proud. Good luck girls.” There is a chorus of good luck and the clanging of glasses as we are toasted and then easy conversation picks up once again.

I pick up my own glass and take a swig, revelling in the smooth fruity texture of the chilled white wine, even though I am eighteen I am only allowed one glass of wine tonight so I am fresh and ready for tomorrow yet all I really want to do is spend the night getting completely drunk and pass out in my bed so I sleep past dusk and through the competition.

“That was a nice speech dad.” I say whilst I pile the plates into the dishwasher after surgically removing Kayden from my side, seeing the Jones’ out and promising not to go to the meet up place tomorrow without Mandy.

“Thanks honey.” My dad says absentmindedly as he tidies up the kitchen.

“You have a talent for making the most dreadful of things sound like something to look forward too.” His brown eyes crinkle in the corner as he grins mischievously whilst my mum just laughs from her seat at the table. “Well I had to put some sort of spin on it otherwise dinner would have been an extremely dull affair.” I nod in agreement.

“Also you missed out a bit ‘win, lose or die’.” Silence settles and it is an awkward one, my mother looks at me disapprovingly but that is just the surface emotion, her eyes show terror.

“Well that went off without a hitch, there wasn’t even any mention of the Miller family.” Gray states happily as he strolls through the door, conveniently missing out on any of the tidying but dispelling the tension. I just grumble as a reply and close the dishwasher with more force than necessary causing the plates to rattle against each other inside.

“I guess I should go to bed then, big day and all tomorrow.” I look at the faces that are all looking straight back at me “Goodnight then.” I say breaking the silence.

“Goodnight sweetie.” My mum says tucking her chair under the table and walking over to me to envelope me into a hug, her perfume tickles my nose and her hold on me is strong, for a fleeting moment I completely relax. Then I am passed from one embrace into another, this one slightly stronger, and my dad’s stubble gently scrapes across my forehead as he kisses my hair line.

“Everything is going to be alright.” He says in one last attempt at reassurance as he holds me at arm’s length and looks straight into my eyes and I almost believe him. Last but not least it is Gray’s turn and in a typical sibling fashion he tousles my hair so strands stick up in all directions.

“I have trained you well young grasshopper, just trust your instincts, fighting is in your genes. We all have a wild side.” He winks at me and for the first time in days I genuinely smile before I turn my back on them all and attempt to get some sleep.

The next day as the blue of the sky fades into various shades of oranges and pinks my group and I arrive at the meeting spot, the location of which had been posted through the door this morning on yet another piece of the Royal’s stationary.

The place wasn’t hard to find considering it was literally part of the Pack House gardens and as we make our way round the large house and the path opens up to vast greenery there is a group of people, mainly female, stood on the patio indicating we have come to the right place. In the crowd the Miller family stand out due to their superior clothing and posture, then the rest are just faces that I recognise from the ball, including the brunette that must be avoided at all costs, a fact that I have let the girls in on. There is a gasp from behind me and I turn to face a pale Nickie, whose spikey hair is uncharacteristically flat. The girls, myself included, stand patiently and wait for Nickie to explain.

“That’s Kia Moore.” She whispers whilst subtly indicating the brunette girl who laughs loudly at something and flicks her thick hair over her shoulder, obviously making a show in attempt to gain Liam’s attention, it doesn’t work and I choke back my laughter as she pouts thinking no one is watching. “Is that the one you told us about?” I nod my head and turn my gaze back to my girls. “She’s a personal trainer, fitness nut and full time psychotic bitch.” The last bit I already knew. “I heard that she sent a human to hospital with serious bodily harm for squeezing her arse in a club.” There are a couple of sharp intakes of breath as we all process this.

“That has to just be a load of gossip.” Jenny points out to settle the group. “Do you think Alpha Miller would just let her off for something like that? We’d all have heard about it.” Her logic is there as she nods her head decidedly. Nickie just shrugs her shoulders; personally I wouldn’t be surprised if the rumour was true.

“There is no smoke without fire, gossip has to come from somewhere.” Amy counters. We’re silent for a few more moments as we stand unnoticed on the edge of the patio. As I stare into the crowd Hunter catches my eye and he waves beckoning us over, Mandy links her arm through mine.

“Well shall we get this show on the road? The sooner we start the sooner we can get out of here.” Summer says marching forwards. We all agree and immerse ourselves into the small gathering.

It isn’t long after that, after a few others join the group, that Alpha Miller gains our attention by standing on some sort of perch and clearing his throat loudly, the gesture would indicate that he was merely holding a garden party not a tournament.

“Good evening Ladies and Gentlemen, well the day has arrived for the first of the three battles and thankfully the weather has been kind. Each of you has been given a book and I am certain that you have all read it and now fully understand the rules for this event. If you all look to your left you will see a number of men, they will be acting as my officials out there in the middle of action, ultimately what they decide is law, regardless of what is in the rule book… times have changed since it was written after all.” There are a few grumbles from the group but personally I feel a lot better knowing that this thing will be monitored. “As you all know our land is surrounded by vast woodland and it is in there that this competition will take place. A word of warning, humans inhabit the other side of the trees and that any of them could come across you at any time, even with the restrictions I have in place, so for your own safety keep your guards up, any contact with a human will be certain disqualification and also punishment. Now my son would like to say a few words before the sun fully sets.” Alpha Miller steps down and pats Liam on the back who takes his place on the makeshift stage. As the sun slinks away the lack of light obscures Liam’s features and causes his face to be covered in a shadow making it hard to see his expression.

As Liam looks over the crowd his body language looks nervous and even slightly vulnerable however the façade is dropped as he begins to speak. “Hello ladies.” He drawls causing some of them to giggle. “It is truly an honour to have so many gorgeous girls fighting over me… it’s every guys dream really.” I roll my eyes as he grins widely. “So go in there, cat fight or whatever and I’ll be spending time, over the next month, with the lucky ladies who make it too the next round.” He winks at the group and jumps back down to the ground, although the crowd seemed to enjoy his theatrics it would seem his farther does not as he scowls at him.

“Well if that isn’t a reason to win this thing I don’t know what is.” Summer whispers sarcastically, not taken in by Liam at all, I respect her more for it. Alpha Miller’s voice breaks up the chatter once more.

“So ladies, if you would all go into the ballroom, get your names ticked off and change form we can get this thing started.” With a topic closing clap of his hands members of the group filter off and I reluctantly follow.

Glancing around the room a little uncomfortably I feel self-conscious as I strip down and drop my clothes into a pile on the floor. It is only now that I am starting to register the severity of what will happen in a few short moments and I start to wish that my parents were here, we had to say goodbye at the house, possibly for the last time. My whole family, and the families of the other girls, are being brought here just before the start so that there is no chance for them to contact us whilst the competition is taking place. They aren’t here to watch, this isn’t for sport after all, they are here to be watched and although they are like sheep, corralled into one area, they will be treated like royalty and are being presented with a three course dinner.

As soon as the last item of clothing slips from my body I change form and welcome the warmth that flows through me, masking the slight pain that prickles under my skin as my bones shift and whole body changes into something natural but completely unnatural at the same time. When each female has changed we are led outside once more and circle around our Alpha and his family, who are now surrounded by a number of fierce looking men and shifters by the smell of them, probably just in case one of us decided that this would be a good time to attack. I can’t help but notice that there is on member of the alpha family missing, Liam seems to be absent, however, in his place is a glorious honey coloured wolf with calculating dark green eyes, who scans each of us as we bow our heads and sit before the Alpha, like well trained puppies.

“Okay this is how this is going to work” Miller states calmly despite the security team that separates him from us. “Each of you will be presented with a piece of material with an individual smell, you will track that smell to a location within the woods. Once there you wait for the signal, this signal will indicate the start of the competition and will also close it when the sun begins to rise tomorrow morning. There shall be no violence before or after, to ensure such my team of officials shall be patrolling, all of the officials are male so if you come across one of them you won’t mistake them for the competition, ignore them as much as possible. The signal will be a howl from Liam. The rules state that you shall remain in the woods until dawn, however, for our purpose, as soon as the predetermined number of young ladies have been eliminated this round of the competition shall end, so listen out for the signal. Good luck.” And with that he is swept away by the men with his wife tucked in at his side and Hunter following behind, I make eye contact with him and he gives me small smile, I’m not even sure if he knows who I am.

When my name is called I trot forward with a sigh and as promised am presented with a piece of blue material that I spend a couple of moments inhaling and processing it to memory, it smells of pinecones and motor oil, then I walk around the edge of the tree line until I come across an identical smell that disappears into the woods with a short triumphant bark, I take off in search of the end of the trail.

Due to my speed and agility it doesn’t take long to find where the trail ends, I’m deep in the woods and the sky has now turned dark, I can only assume that the moon is rising in the sky but the canopy of the trees makes it impossible to know, as I follow the scent around a large tree I see a shape move and I am automatically on guard.

“It’s okay.” Comes a voice in the darkness. “I am just the end of the trail.” Reluctantly I move closer to the male voice and find that he does indeed smell like the trail I had been following. “The Alpha created the trails by using people.” I nod my head, it makes sense, a person’s scent follows them wherever they go, if I was meant to follow an object it would be masked by whoever it was that brought it here. “I am supposed to stay here until the signal.” Once again I nod my head but I sit down on the soil, there isn’t much else I can do.

We laps into a comfortable silence where I lie on my stomach and he props himself up against a tree and we wait. It takes about ten minutes but through the sounds of owls, crickets and the summer nights breeze a howl echoes, a low mournful sound that hypnotises me and appeals to my wolf, I am awakened by a succession of barks closer to me. I sigh and climb to my feet, nodding at my guide once more. It’s time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm quiet nervous to post the next one. The first battle chapter will probably either go okay or will turn people away due to poor writing skills xD. We shall just have to see. Song is 1D because i'm seeing them live tomorrow... and i'm excited. 

Đọc tiếp

Bạn Cũng Sẽ Thích

281K 11.4K 56
(Completed) Brigette does not want a mate, and her plan of abandoning their supernatural world is threatened once she discovers she is mated to an Al...
227 130 65
Silena is a 17 years old girl who does not want to accept outdated and too conservative scandinavian warewolfs community rules. While the war is abou...
2.3K 387 36
CANILLE SCARLETT is just your average teenager if I may assume, straight A's, quiet, shy but still known by everyone But what happens when your perf...
133K 5.6K 31
Nothing scares a wolf more than a hunter. Humans with weapons and bloodlust thick in their scent, they are born that way. All humans are bad news...