Maybe Perfect

By emmaroseszalai

Sophie Campbell is a seventeen year old senior at Jackson High that also holds down a part-time job at the lo... More

1: Maybe Perfect
2: Maybe Perfect
3: Maybe Perfect
4: Maybe Perfect
5: Maybe Perfect
7: Maybe Perfect
8: Maybe Perfect
9: Maybe Perfect
10: Maybe Perfect
11: Maybe Perfect
12: Maybe Perfect
13: Maybe Perfect
14: Maybe Perfect
15: Maybe Perfect
16: Maybe Perfect
17: Maybe Perfect
18: Maybe Perfect
19: Maybe Perfect
20: Maybe Perfect
21: Maybe Perfect
22: Maybe Perfect
23: Maybe Perfect
24: Maybe Perfect
25: Maybe Perfect
26: Maybe Perfect
27: Maybe Perfect
28: Maybe Perfect
29: Maybe Perfect
30: Maybe Perfect
31: Maybe Perfect
32: Maybe Perfect
33: Maybe Perfect
34: Maybe Perfect
35: Maybe Perfect
36: Maybe Perfect
37: Maybe Perfect
38: Maybe Perfect
39: Maybe Perfect
40: Maybe Perfect
41: Maybe Perfect
42: Maybe Perfect
43: Maybe Perfect
44: Maybe Perfect
Epilogue: Maybe Perfect

6: Maybe Perfect

359K 7.5K 2K
By emmaroseszalai

Chapter 6

The atmosphere of the café was friendly but buzzing at the same time. It seemed like the customers came into the café tonight to see the open-mic night performers because all of the table were filled with people and the booths were crammed leaving a ton of people just standing around watching the show.

I moved around slightly heading closer to the counter and a bit closer to the stage so I could see Jett a little clearer. I settled myself up against the wall beside the cash register before looking up at the stage

Jett was currently on stage, sitting on a stool in front of a microphone adjusting his guitar. I always thought that he had an electric guitar but he really was carrying around a classic acoustic guitar that showed evidence of hard work and old age on its body.

After a couple of seconds Jett looked comfortable up on stage and took a hold of the mic. “Hi, my name’s Jett as some of you may know and I’m just going to perform two songs for you tonight. I hope you like them.” he said and the audience clapped with applause, cheering him on with encouragement.

He started to strum on his guitar strings and I slowly started to recognize the song he was playing. Even though it wasn’t originally sung by a guy, Jett decided to play ‘The One That Got Away’ by Katy Perry in an acoustic style.

In another life

I would be your boy

We’d keep all our promises

Be us against the world

In another life

I would make you stay

So I don’t have to say you were

The one that got away

Jett had changed the lyrics slightly to make it sound like it was a guy singing a love song about a girl he liked and he sounded amazing. I had never heard him sing before and I’m really glad I was hearing him now.

All this money can’t buy me a time machine, no

Can’t replace you with a million rings

I should’ve told you what you meant to me

Cause now I pay the price…

As he was finishing the song I looked around the café to see that a lot of the audience was actually tapping their feet to the beat of his guitar or lip singing along to the song. I would’ve liked to sing along but he changed the tempo so much that I wouldn’t have known when to sing which lyric, but that was okay with me since I was fine with just listening to Jett’s voice.

Once the song finished he stopped strumming and looked up at the audience with a small smile on his face as they all applauded him and a couple of people were whistling and cheering.

“Umm… so thanks and my next song is a little different so I hope enjoy.” he said, looking a little nervous as he started to strum his guitar.

At first I didn’t recognize the song at all. I mean, I listen to music as much as the next kid but I just couldn’t figure out the song but as soon as Jett got to the chorus I recognized the song; it was ‘Pumped Up Kicks’ by Foster The People.

I had never heard an acoustic version of this song and it was really interesting to hear. At some parts of the song he went slower than the original track and at other parts he would speed up the lyrics.

All the other kids with the pumped up kicks

You better run, better run

Outrun my gun

All the other kids with the pumped up kicks

You better run, better run

Faster than my bullet

During the second verse Jett started to relax as he was looking out into the crowd and seeing that the people watching were enjoying his unique rendition of the song.

As his gaze swept over the crowd, his eyes locked onto me for a second and I stood frozen. I didn’t know if it was such a good thing that Jett had seen me or not but I guess I couldn’t take back coming in to the café to see him before so I just offered him a smile and started clapping along with the rest of the crowd as he played.

Obviously Jett liked that I was here because before taking his eyes off of me he sent me a big smile in return before focusing his attention on finishing his song.

All the other kids with the pumped up kicks

You better run, better run

Outrun my gun

All the other kids with the pumped up kicks

You better run, better run

Faster than my bullet

As he slowly stopped strumming his guitar a bunch of people in the café stood up out of their seats to give him a standing ovation. The audience was cheering him on and giving him praise for his amazing performance as he stood up and took a bow on stage.

After the applause started to die down Jett put his guitar on his back and walked off the stage. I noticed that a lot of the people in the café were starting to head out so my guess was that Jett was actually the closing performer tonight.

I was about to head for the door when I heard somebody strangely familiar call my name. “Sophie!”

I turned my head back to see Jett squeezing through the remaining people left standing around the café and he was headed in my direction, so I stopped where I was and waited for him.

“Hey.” he said, sticking the majority of his hands into his front pockets. No usually his appearance didn’t get to me, but standing there like that in front of me, he looked hot.

I smiled shyly at him before replying. “Hi.” I muttered, still not exactly sure how he was reacting to seeing me here tonight.

“I didn’t see you before I got on stage, are you here by yourself or…?” he asked, stopping his sentence because he didn’t know what to say.

I shook my head. “No, I’m here alone. Actually, I was with my friends at one of my best friends dance recitals a couple of blocks away and I started to walk home. Then I was looking in the windows of the cafes on this street and I saw you getting up on stage so I just came in. I hope you don’t mind or anything it’s just…” I replied, babbling the short story of my whole night to Jett before he put one of his hands over my mouth to stop me.

He had an amused expression on his face as he took his hand off my mouth. “Sorry.” I said.

He shook his head, chuckling slightly, as he put his hands back into his pockets. “It’s cool. Anyways, why were you walking so far, I mean surely one of your friends would have given you a ride, but don’t you have a car?” he asked.

“My car didn’t start this morning so it’s in the shop and I got a ride there but I like walking at night when there’s a slight breeze, it gives me time to think or just clear my head.” I replied.

He nodded. “So, umm, did you like the performance?” he asked nervously, as if I would say no.

I nodded in reply. “Yea, it was really good. I mean, I know you carry around a guitar a lot and I had guessed that you played but it just wasn’t what I was expecting.” I said.

He tilted his head slightly the side. “What were you expecting?”

“Oh, umm, I guess well, I don’t know, maybe just something more heavy like rock or something. Don’t get me wrong, what you did was amazing and I loved it.” I replied.

He just shook his head slightly to get his hair out of his face and smiled at me. “Well thanks. I really didn’t expect you or anybody from school to be here tonight, but I’m glad you were here.” he said, making me blush just a little bit.

I smiled up at him and was going to reply when a guy with auburn coloured hair came over and quickly threw his arm around Jett’s shoulder. He wasn’t from our school, that I knew for sure but he was around the same height as Jett. My guess was that he was friends with Jett and came to see him perform.

“Hey man, great job tonight.” the mystery guy said, fist bumping Jett and removing his arm from around his shoulder.

Jett just laughed at the guy and smiled. “Thanks dude, glad you could make it.” he replied.

The mystery guy was about to start talking to Jett when he glanced at me. I stood there nervously before he spoke. “And Jett, who’s this little hottie?” the guy asked.

I didn’t understand why he was calling me hot but then I remembered that I was wearing the outfit that I had chosen to wear to Piper’s recital. I’m guessing Jett hadn’t noticed what I was wearing because his eyes snapped to me to see me in a pair of white skinny jeans, a red V-neck and a black leather jacket. His eyes bulged slightly before he composed himself.

“Axel, this is Sophie and she goes to Jackson with me. Sophie, meet Axel.” Jett said, introducing us.

I nodded a hello at Axel while he looked like he was scrutinizing me with his eyes.

“So,” Axel said, making me feel like I wasn’t going to like what he was about to say, “what did the little Jett here do to get a pretty ladies attention?”

Jett rolled his eyes and slapped his friend upside the head. “Cut it out Ax. We met over winter break and starting talking at school.”

I shook my head and decided to have some fun with both of the guys. “Oh, you don’t have to lie Jett.” I said before turning back to Axel. “You see, over winter break I was at this club and saw this hot stud there performing. I couldn’t control myself and ended up jumping him backstage and we had what I thought was going to be a steamy one-night stand. Imagine my surprise when I went back to school to see him there, looking as hot as ever. Since then we’ve had this little friends with benefits thing going on.” I explained, totally lying and teasing the guys.

Axel’s eyes popped out of his head as Jett looked amused as he was trying to hide his laugh. When I couldn’t contain it any longer I burst out laughing. By the sound of it, Jett couldn’t hold it in either because he started laughing to.

Once both me and Jett sobered up from our laughing fit, I looked at Axel who looked confused.

“Dude, what the hell?! Since when do you do girls backstage or perform at clubs, hell, since when did you start having sex?” Axel asked, obviously still confused.

Before I could reply, Jett smacked him upside the head again and muttered a quick ‘shut up’, which had me laughing again.

“Axel, I was joking. Jett was telling the truth. We met over break and we have a class together at school.” I explained.

Axel just shook his head smiling. “I like you. You’ve got spunk girl.” he said, complementing me, which I smiled at. Then he turned to Jett, “But since when did you talk to anyone at your school, let alone this chick?”

Jett blushed slightly. “Most of the kids at school are dumb idiots but Sophie’s cool.” he replied, smiling at me.

I, in turn, blushed in response but also snorted. “Yea right, last time I checked, begin a nerd isn’t anything cool.” I replied.

Axel smiled. “Since when do nerds look so good?” he asked, and I shook my head. “Anyways, if you’re not a dumb jock, popular cheerleader or a superficial teenager you’re considered cool in our books.”

“And who exactly is this ‘us’ you’re talking about.” I asked him.

“Well there’s me, Jett here, as well as Carter and Dillon.” Axel replied. “Actually wait here; I’ll go get the other two bolt-heads.”

As Axel left, Jett turned to me and smiled. “Sorry about him, he’s a little weird.” Jett explained but I just shook my head.

“Don’t worry about it, he seems cool. So, how do you know him and the other guys he mentioned?” I asked.

“Ah, well obviously they don’t go to our school but I met them when I first moved here. I was checking out the town and stumbled across this place. Dillon’s dad owns the place so they were all here and I guess we just clicked. We also work together on something which I am not going to tell you about at the moment.” he replied, smiling down at me.

“Well, besides you keeping a secret from me,” I said in a shocked and sarcastic voice, “that’s cool. Are the rest of them like Axel too?”

Jett nodded. “Yea pretty much, except Carter’s a little more of a player than Axel and Dillon’s gay but you wouldn’t be able to tell as he jokes around and flirts with girls.” he replied.

“Um, was I supposed to know that he’s gay?” I asked uncertainly.

Jett just laughed. “Yea, he’s open about it, don’t worry he just likes teasing women.” he said.

I nodded and was about to reply when I felt an arm wrap around my shoulder. I also saw Axel coming over with another guy so I turned to look at the guy with his arm around me.  

He was actually good looking in his own way. He had a head full of dirty blonde hair with a couple of blue streaks on the left side. He had bright blue eyes and a smirk plastered on his face. He was probably a bit taller than Jett and Axel and he had a sufficient amount of muscles.

“Let me guess, you’re Dillon right?” I asked, smirking up at him.

“Yes mam and you are just the girl I’ve been looking for.” he replied in a deep voice.

I shook my head and shrugged his arm off of my shoulder. “Sorry, but as you can see I am not a gay guy, however, I do know one of those if you’re interested.” I said, referring to Blake.

He sighed and glared at Jett. “Come on dude, did you have to tell the chick I was gay. I could’ve had some fun with her.” he said grudgingly.

I laughed. “The chicks got a name and it’s Sophie.” I said.

“Well hello Sophie.” another voice said and I looked at who I guessed was Carter.

“Hey Carter.” I said, greeting him nicely.

Axel raised an eyebrow at me. “So, did Jett here mention us to you then?” he asked, throwing an amused glance Jett’s way.

I shook my head. “Not before tonight no, so do all you guys play music or were you just here to support Jett?” I asked.

“Well, since Dill’s dad owns the place we hang out here a lot but anytime that Jett performs we’re always here to cheer him on. We all like music but he’s the only one of us who can actually carry a tune; he’s amazing.” Carter replied, slapping Jett on the back in congratulations.

I nodded in understanding while watching the guys talk for a bit.

“Well Jett, it’s been fun but I actually have to get going so I’ll see you Monday in school.” I said, waving goodbye to him. “Oh, and it was nice meeting you guys too.” saying goodbye to Axel, Carter and Dillon before walking towards the door.

As I walked out the door a hand grabbed my shoulder forcing me to turn around. I thought it was some random person but it ended up just being Jett.

“Hey, do you want a ride home?” Jett asked, smiling down at me while carrying his guitar on his back.

“Umm,” I said, thinking about it. I guess it was little late and I had already been walking a couple streets after Piper’s recital so I smiled up at Jett. “Do you mind?”

Jett just shook his head and smiled. “Not at all, let me just pull around to the front and I’ll be right back.” he said and I nodded.

I stepped out the door of the café and into the street. It was really dark out and I guess I had lost track of time. I sent a quick text to my aunt telling her that I was heading home now while I was waiting for Jett before putting my phone back into my pocket and stood against the cafes window to wait for him.

A minute or so later I heard a vehicle coming around the store but I stopped short when I saw what Jett was riding.

In front of me sat Jett, on a black and white motorbike. I thought the motorbike was absolutely awesome but I had never ridden one before and it looked a little nerve wracking.

Jett parked the motorbike and I saw that there was an attachment on his bike to hold his guitar. “You ready?” Jett asked, handing me a spare helmet.

I stood still. “Umm, you never mentioned that you, umm, rode a motorbike.” I murmured, still nervous about actually riding it.

Jett smiled sheepishly. “Yea, sorry about that. I don’t drive it to school because I live down the block so I just walk but I love riding it around town. If you don’t want to ride I could get Axel or one of the guys to give you a ride.” he said.

I shook my head and took the helmet. “No, it’s just I’ve never ridden one before so I don’t exactly know how this is going to turn out.” I mentioned, trying to do up the helmet’s strap.

“Don’t worry, it’s completely safe. You just sit behind me and hold on while I drive. You said you like the breeze in your face and this will let you experience it.” Jett replied smiling as he fastened up my helmet’s strap.

As his hands touched the skin on my chin a bolt of electricity shot through me and I blushed slightly. “Thanks.” I muttered, down casting my eyes to the floor.

“Don’t worry about it,” Jett said as he hopped onto his motorcycle, “now hop on.”

I nervously hopped onto the motorbike and wrapped my arms around Jett’s body. Right now I felt really comfortable but I really didn’t want to feel this way. I barely knew this guy and even though we were becoming friends I didn’t want any sort of relationship out of this.

Jett started the bike and I clutched onto Jett’s body tighter. We were driving through the streets of the town and after I got over my initial reaction to riding the bike I actually enjoyed myself and I could understand why Jett loved riding it so much.

After a five minute drive Jett asked for directions to my house and street after street I rattled off directions into the side of his helmet.

Another ten minutes and Jett was pulling safely into the end of my aunt and uncle’s driveway. After the bike stopped I unwrapped my arms from around Jett, blushing slightly, and took off my helmet. I got off the bike and handed the helmet to him.

“Thanks for the ride, and you’re right, that’s actually really fun to drive.” I said, standing there awkwardly.

Jett popped his visor up on his helmet and smiled at me. “No problem and I’m glad you enjoyed tonight. Thanks for being there.” he said and I smiled.

“No problem. So I’ll see you at school.” I said.

He nodded. “Yup, see you Monday.” he replied, waving to me before starting his bike’s engine.

I waved at him and walked up my driveway and into my house. My guess was that my aunt and uncle were asleep so I just headed upstairs to my room and changed into my pyjamas before collapsing on my bed. I didn’t bother checking my phone for texts from Piper or Blake. I just fell asleep instantly.

The rest of the weekend was quite boring as I just finished homework and stayed lounging around the house. However one thing was on my mind all weekend, and that thing…. was Jett.

****************************************************

Super long chapter again ! I hope you like this chapter as it has both Jett and Sophie and then an introduction to Jett’s friends. Leave your opinions of this chapter and what you think of Jett’s friends I the comment section :)

Next Update: Saturday

Vote/Comment/Fan/Share !

Thank you all so much for voting and supporting this tory as it is rising with popularity xx

 P.S. The video on the side is 'The One That Got Away' the acoustic version

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

15.7K 330 15
Sophie's a freshman in high school and she's in love with her neighbor names Carson who just so happens to be a sophomore. Watch their rocky relation...
14.1K 775 12
Holly Halliday only had two important things in her life. One was her art and the other was her best friend Gabriel Colton. Starting school for thei...
325K 12K 80
Order of Series- book 1- Loathing Logan Book 2- Still In Love With You Book 3- Loving Your Imperfections Book 4- The Best Friend's Deal (...
My life ✅ By Zai

Teen Fiction

562 80 34
a 16 year old girl who's life is about to turn around Live through crushes ,best friends , fake friends and everything in between Enjoy 😊