Just Another Cinderella Story

By nixllscrxic

Her dad died when she was a little girl. Her mother abandoned her because of it. Darcy was forced into adopti... More

Party Plans-Darcy's POV
Planning the Party- Harry's POV
Under The Mask- Darcy's POV
The Party- Harry's POV
Running-Darcy's POV
Clues- Harry POV
Another Party- Darcy's POV
Eleanor's Masquerade- Harry's POV
The Mall- Darcy' POV
The Party- Harry's POV
Surprises- Darcy's POV
Niall Meets His Girl- Harry's POV
Snitches- Darcy's POV
Waiting-Harry's POV
Finally-Darcy's POV
1D Saves The Day (Plans)-Harry's POV
1D Saves The Day- Harry's POV
Darcy's POV
Tattle-Tale- Harry's POV
Darcy's POV
Won't Let You Down- Darcy's POV
First Check-Up-Harry's POV
Witches-Darcy's POV
Taken- Harry's POV
Darcy's POV
Trial-Harry's POV
Going Home- Darcy's POV

Just Another Cinderella Story

29.1K 338 90
By nixllscrxic

Usually on a beautiful day like this, a normal teenage girl would be out and about with her best friend.

But I'm no ordianry teenage girl.

Well, I am but I don't have your average family. I don't even know whether or not to even call them 'family'.

My dad was a Marine. I remember I'd be home, looking out the window all day long, waiting for him to come home. As I looked out the window, I'd see the other dads getting home, so I'd get excited, thinking he was on his way. But he didn't come.

I would ask my mom what took dad so long to come home and she'd just say " Your dad is a very special type of man. He has a lot of work to do."

I was only like 4, so I didn't really understand. And mom never told me that his 'work' was protecting our country from other countries.

My mom told me his job when I was about 6. She had noticed how I'd gotten suspicious when he didn't come home at all for at least 4 months.

I already knew how to write, so I wrote my dad letters every few days. I'd recieve letters and emails from him. He wrote whenever he could, which wasn't very much, but he always told me that he was still alive and well.

But just in case, I always went to the website. It told us who died. I respected every person that I saw when I went online. But I was relieved that I didn't see my dad on the list.

A few months later, my dad sent an email that he was going to come for my 7th birthday. Once my mom read it to me, I leaped across the room and hugged her.

"Daddy's coming home!" I squealed.

"When's he coming?" I ask.

"In two days, sweetie," mom told me. I was so excited I wasn't able to sleep.

My daddy's coming home. My daddy's coming home.

He didn't come home.

The next day, my mom recieved a phone call. After the phone call, she didn't say a word to me. She didn't do anything. She just took some medication and went back to bed.

I went online, to see if any of dad's friends had died. My mother got a bit emotional when they died also. This must have been a very close friend, because mom never shut herself into the room.

But then I knew why.

The most recent deaths were put at the top of the list. The time they died was put next to their names.

My dad was number one on the list. He had died a few hours ago.

At first I couldn't believe what I was seeing. But then I looked back at my mom's door and back at the screen.

He was gone.

He wasn't coming home.

My house was silent for days.

At school, I met a girl who knew what it was like having her dad in the military. Her father wasn't dead though. He was still running around carrying a gun. He was still sending her letters and emails. He was probably coming to her birthday.

But she sympathized for me. And to this day, Amy is still my best friend. She's the sweet innocent type. Well, to strangers.

But to her best friend, me, she's crazy. And loud. But still, sweet, kind, innocent.

Amy was my haven for those few years. She's the one who helped me through. My mom didn't want someone to help her through. As I grew older, I tried to help her, convince her that things were ok, even if he wasn't with us. But she didn't listen.

She had loved my dad. As in, they were soulmates. And so, I started losing my mother. She went into complete and total depression. She would take medication and just stay locked up in her room. She wouldn't eat. She wouldn't sleep. She'd just sit on her bed in her bedroom.

I never heard her voice again. I never heard her laugh again. I never saw her smile again. Everything my mom was, was gone.

When I was 12, my mom suddenly just walked out of her room.

Her face was still flat. No emotion. She just walked out. Like that. I went to Amy's for the day.

But when I got home, she still wasn't home. I went to sleep, thinking she would come home while I was asleep.

I woke up and went to her room to see if she was there. She wasn't.

She left. And I don't think she was thinking of coming home.

So I left. I got my phone and some clothes and left. To Amy's house.

My life continued. Just me. Orphaned Darcy.

But Amy's family wasn't able to supply for me for long, so I left them, too.

So I just went home. Took it as my house. Darcy's house. I went to school and everything. Completely normal. I did the grocery shopping, cleaned the house, did my homework and just lived as an ordinary teen. But I didn't go unnoticed.

Neighbors finally caught on that a 14 year old girl was staying by herself in her home. They called the police officers and they came knocking on my door a couple of hours later.

They asked where my parents are. I didn't lie.

"My dad died in the military and my mother went into a bad state of depression. She abandoned me when I was 12. I went to live with my best friend and her family, but they didn't have enough money to support both of us, so I returned here," I answered.

"You do realize that you're a minor and you're not considered responsible enough to care for yourself on your own, right?" the police officer asked.

"I'm perfectly comfortable here. I've been able to supply for myself here," I defended myself.

"The money in that jar isn't going to last forever," the police officer said, pointing towards the jar of money on the counter.

"I'm old enough to get a job. I'll get money that way," I said.

"You don't understand, sweetie, you can't stay here. We're going to have to send you to an adoption agency," a female police officer said, coming back from inspecting the house.

"But why? I'm perfectly fine here. And I have school and my friends here, I can't leave!" I protested.

"Then we'll make sure your foster home is located around these parts," the police officer said, leading me towards his car.

"Fine," I muttered.

They dropped me off at the nearest adoption agency.

"Have a nice day," the police officer said bleakly.

I slammed the door in response.

I walked inside. The room is white and is cut in half by a huge counter. Behind the counter are 5 seats and 5 computers. It smells like bubblegum and candy in here.

I walk up to one of the women manning one of the computers.

She looks up at smiles at me sweetly.

"Hi there, hon, how can I help you?" she asks.

"The police just escorted me here. I've been staying in a house by myself and they say I have to be put in a foster home," I say, flatly.

"Okey dokes then," she said, rubbing the mouse on the mouse pad to start up the computer.

"What's your name deary?" she asked, putting on a pair of reading glasses.

"Darcy Donnor," I answer.

"Ok, hold are you?" she asks.

"14," I answer again.

"Ok, if you'll follow me, sweetie," she clicks 'enter' and stands up, taking off the glasses.

She led me to a door and she opened it. I was in a brightly lit hallway. I looked at the different doors as we passed. There was a plaque next to the door, saying the age group of the kids in the rooms.

We walked past infants, toddlers, kids, and finally ended up in the teenage section.

She stopped in front of a door marked 14 year olds.

She opened the door. There were some boys and some girls. Some were playing board games and some were reading books. Others were on the beds, staring up at the ceiling.

"In you go deary," the lady said, following me into the room.

"Everybody, this is Darcy. She's going to be in here until we find her a foster home," she smiled.

She turns to me.

"Now, you don't have to be here all the time. You wake up, you have breakfast, you go to school, you can go to a friend's house, you can be out as long as you are back by curfew which is 11:00 on school nights and 12:00 on weekends," she smiles.

"Don't worry, deary, we'll find you a good home," she smiles before turning away and heading back down the hall. I close the door and head to the bed in the far corner. I sit on it and wrap my arms around my knees.

"Is she ok?"

"Do you think she's nice?"

I hear everyone murmur around me. I take my face out of my knees and look around.

Everyone's eyes are on me.

"Hi, I'm Lacey," the girl nearest me says.

"I'm Ross," a boy says, closing the book he was reading and smiling at me.

"I'm Darcy," I say softly.

"Don't worry, they'll find you a nice place. They get letters from the kids that used to stay here and they always say nice things about their new family," Lacey assures me.

"So why'd they bring you here?" Ross asked.

"My parents thought they just couldn't handle me, so they just dropped me off here," Lacey says.

"My parents never wanted a kid. They just left me here. I've been here since I was a baby," Ross said.

"How come they haven't found you a place yet?" I asked him.

"No one's fit the bill yet, but I have a feeling they'll find me a place soon," he smiled.

"So what about yours? Why are you here?" Lacey asked, kindly.

"My dad died when I was little and my mom went into depression. When I was 12, she left and I went to live with my best friend. But they weren't able to take care of me, so I went back home," I explained.

"Oh, sorry, I shouldn't have asked," she said, sadly.

"No don't worry about it," I reassure her.

"So what's it like here?" I ask.

"They treat us really nice! The woman who brought you here, her name is Ms. Dammon. She's the sweetest. But you might wanna watch out for..." Lacey trailed off.

"For who?" I asked, curious.

"Roxy," Ross finished for her.

"Who's Roxy?" I asked.

"She's the 14 year old right over there in that corner," he said, jerking his head in her direction. I looked over. She was pretty. She had blonde hair and brown eyes.

"She's a bully. Always making fun of us," Lacey trembles.

"Why does she make fun of you guys?" I ask, a little angry.

"Because a kid who's been here is whole life is considered not wanted. Anywhere. Even here. In her opinion," Ross shakes his head.

"Why does she bully Lacey?" I ask.

"Because Ross is my friend. In her opinion, someone who wants an 'unwanted' person, is unwanted just as much," she shakes.

----------------------------------------------------

I stayed in the adoption center for a whole month. Roxy gave Ross, Lacey, and I a hard time. She pulled mean pranks on us and called us names in the cafeteria.

I introduced Lacey and Ross to Amy. Amy liked them and I think Ross took a liking to Amy, too. But when I asked him about it, he said that he was just not used to someone being so nice to him, besides me and Lacey.

One day, Ross, Lacey and I were in the little green area behind the adoption center. We were laying there, making figures of the clouds when I heard Ms. Dammon call us.

We went back inside and Ms. Dammon announced to us that there was a family willing to adopt a set of teenagers. And they didn't live far away, like I had recommended.

She led us to a small white room where the three of us sat down at a table.

We looked at each other. We smiled at one another and then looked up as Ms. Dammon brought in a tall woman.

She looked to be in her  mid-thirties. She had black hair that was pulled up into a bun. She had brown eyes. She was pretty. You know, for a woman in her mid-thirties.

"Ok, you three, this is Nancy Urican. She wants to adopt three teenagers. And voila! Here you are!" Ms. Dammons smiled.

"Well I'll leave you four to get to know each other!" Ms. Dammon smiled again before closing the door behind her.

"So what are your names?" she asked.

"I'm Darcy," I answered.

"I'm Lacey," Lacey said, shyly.

"I'm Ross," Ross answered.

"Well, I think we'd get along better if we knew more about each other!" she said cheerfully.

"So why did your parents leave you three?" she asked kindly, looking interested.

"My parents thought they couldn't handle me," Lacey answered.

"My parents never wanted a kid so they just left me here when I was a baby," Ross answered.

"My dad died and my mom abandoned me," I answered skeptically.

"Oh, I'm sorry. I would never do any of those things to any of you," she said, sympathy in her voice.

"So, umm, do you three like sports?" she asked.

"Track and Field," Lacey answered, cheering up a bit.

"Baseball, basketball, and swimming," Ross answered. He was starting to act skeptical, too.

"Volleyball," I answered.

And the questions kept coming. And we answered every single one.

Ms. Dammon walked in.

"I'd love to adopt these children," Ms. Urican said, delighted.

"Wonderful! Come this way so you can fill out the papers," Ms. Dammon smiled.

And they walked out. Lacey smiled wide.

Ross and I narrowed our eyes and looked at each other.

"Something's not right about her," I say.

"Yea, she seemed too nice. Like she was trying too hard," he agreed.

"Oh come on guys, not everyone is bad! I mean come on! No more Roxy! We'll have a home!" she cheered.

"I don't have a good feeling about her," I argue.

"Me neither," Ross agrees.

"Whatever, I'm just happy that we actually have a family now," she smiled.

Ms. Dammon told us to go ahead and start packing our stuff.

Ross and I packed our stuff and as we were walking down the hall behind Lacey he leaned sideways towards me.

"You know I don't think she's as nice as she says she is," he whispered.

"Yea me, too," I agree.

Ms. Urican leads us towards the car. Lacey, Ross, and I slide into the backseat. We drive a few minutes and park in front of a huge house. It has three stories. It seems to be at least to be 5 feet in length.

It wasn't really a house, it was more of a mansion. It even took my breath away.

"Wow," I heard Ross breathe.

"See! Everything's going to be perfect!" Lacey squeals.

"Come on, you three get out. Come on!" Urican shouts, opening and shutting the car door.

Lacey looks at us with shock in her face.

"Told you," we whispered to her.

We opened the car door and walked up the steps.

We walked into the magnificent foyer, admiring everything around us.

"Oh stop drooling on my clean floor!" Urican shrieked.

"Girls! Come and meet these kids!" she shouted upstairs.

Two ugly girls walked down the stairs. I had to stifle a laugh.

I was laughing because they looked like they thought they were pretty. One was snapping on her gum and the other was avoiding looking at us, busy studying her nails.

"Amera. Cami. These are the new family members," Urican pointed at us.

The one studying her nails looked up. She looked at me disgustingly. She looked at Lacey as if she were her next snack, and then her eyes fell on Ross. She suddenly went into flirt mode. She ran her fingers through her hair and walked up to him.

"Hey, my name's Amera. What's yours?"she batted her eyelashes.

"I don't need to tell you," he snapped.

"You tell her or you won't get fed for a week!" Urican shrieked.

"Ross," he muttered.

"Ross, nice name. For a nice-looking boy," she purred.

I looked at Ross. He was good-looking, but not enough to make me act like that. He had brown hair and blue eyes. He had fair skin and was the tiniest bit buff, but other than that, he was average.

He was like my brother already.

Amera caught me looking at Ross. Her face suddenly looked as if I was a rubbing a piece of smelly cheese under her nose.

"And you are?" she sneered.

"Darcy. Problem with that?" I sneered back, glaring at her.

"You watch your mouth!" Urican yelled.

The one named Cami came and started tugging on Lacey's blonde pigtails.

"Ouch! Stop it!" she yelled.

"Leave her alone!" I shout.

"One more outburst missy and you won't eat for a week," Urican snapped.

I shut my mouth but glare at Cami and Amera.

Fear suddenly shows on their faces. They recieved the message. Mess with my friends and you won't live to tell the tale.

"Ok, enough introductions," Urican grabs the back of Ross's neck with one hand, grabs my ponytail with the other and kicks Lacey in the back. She took us down a flight of stairs and we ended up in the basement.

"Now, curfew's 1:00 am around here. See, I'm nice enough to give you freedom. But you have to do your chores around here. Fletcher!" she turns to Ross.

"My name's Ross," he corrects her.

"Whatever, your jobs are to do the bathrooms. Lily!" She turns to Lacey.

"It's Lacey, ma'am," she corrects her softly.

"I don't care pigtails, your jobs are to mop the floors and the kitchen. Ginger!" she turns to me.

"It's Darcy," I try to say calmly, but I can't help but grit my teeth.

"Yeah, yeah, you're personal assisstant to me and my daughters, understood?" she asked the three of us.

"Yes, ma'am," we answered.

"Good, now run off, it's time for my beauty sleep," she said leaving.

You'd have to sleep for the next 10 decades, I thought as I left the house.

And that's how it's been for the last three years. I was about to celebrate my 17th birthday. But I didn't know that something special would happen on that special day.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.9K 131 14
Brady Thomas is lost. After losing the one thing that anchored her to reality, Brady has no choice but to run from the lingering pain left behind by...
46.3K 897 37
Katie Linn, a 15 year old who was abandoned by her mum before Katie could even remember . Her mother was 15 when she gave birth to Katie. Katie's mu...
2.1K 122 41
Stephanie's life hasn't always been easy. When she was only 8 years old, she had to move from her town of Holmes Chapel, England to the state of Wisc...
459K 10.1K 56
They always say that your family will always love you no matter what. I think it's a lie. Sometimes life is a Lie. Everyone has been told "I hate yo...