Fixation

By Twiira

[Completed] "I thought I changed. Perhaps that was just an illusion I believed in." When Ace transfers to a n... More

Chapter 1: Late
Chapter 2: Tour
Chapter 3: First Impressions
Chapter 4: Apologies
Chapter 5: Service
Chapter 7: Sketchbook
Chapter 8: Model
Chapter 9: A Cherished Friend
Chapter 10: Bullies
Chapter 11: Secret Room
Chapter 12: Cupcakes
Chapter 13: A Note
Chapter 14: Assistance
Chapter 15: Counselor
Chapter 16: Moved
Chapter 17: Phone Numbers
Chapter 18: The Past
Chapter 19: Tutoring
Chapter 20: Fun & Games
Chapter 21: Cupcakes
Chapter 22: Frosting On Top
Chapter 23: Technology & Phones
Chapter 24: Haunted
Chapter 25: Trypanophobia
Chapter 26: Back To School
Chapter 27: Scattered Stars
Chapter 28: The Rehearsal
Chapter 29: Comforting Words
Chapter 30: Grim Atmosphere
Chapter 31: Positivity
Chapter 32: Group Chat
Chapter 33: Family Meeting
Chapter 34: Nightmares
Chapter 35: Snowfall Valley
Chapter 36: A Friendly Snowball Fight
Chapter 37: A Surprise
Chapter 38: Untold Truths
Chapter 39: Tipping Point
Chapter 40: First-Aid Kit
Chapter 41: Escape Plans
Chapter 42: Job
Chapter 43: Escapade
Chapter 44: Anger
Chapter 45: Pulling Strings
Chapter 46: Behind His Mask
Chapter 47: Appetite
Chapter 48: Conflicting Emotions
Chapter 49: Her Strength
Chapter 50: Illusion Of Protection
Chapter 51: Sympathy
Chapter 52: Regaining Sanity
Chapter 53: Collapse
Chapter 54: True Nature
Chapter 55: Recovery
Chapter 56: Burnt Out
Allian Ending
Evan Ending
Kai Ending
Raiden Ending
Ryoma Ending
True Ending
Epilogue
A/N

Chapter 6: The Park

1.6K 54 2
By Twiira

A picture of Kai ^

Disclaimer: I do not own any of the pictures I use for this story.

---

The female was momentarily paralyzed before she quickly knelt down, picking up all the materials she accidentally knocked down. "I'm so sorry! I wasn't paying much attention to my surroundings!"

The person she knocked into knelt down beside her, helping her pick up his possessions as well. "It's all well. No harm done, don't worry."

With a pile of books and paper in her hands, she gingerly stood up and returned the objects to the brown haired male.

He smiled at her, taking the things out of her hands. "Thanks. I'm Kai, nice to meet you."

It took the female a moment to recall seeing him as one of the males in that group of five she saw walking by the grassfield. "I'm Ace. Nice to meet you as well. Again, I'm really sorry I bumped into you."

He lightly chuckled. "It's alright."

Ace wondered what he was doing, carrying so many books around. "Why are you carrying around so much stuff? It looks like that's a lot of weight. I could help you carry some things if you'd like."

The boy seemed a bit startled from her sudden offer. "Oh no, it's fine. I just need to catch up on some of my studies."

The female nodded at his words. "Alright. I guess I'll see you again, maybe?"

"Yeah, definitely." He responded with a gentle smile.

The two took their footsteps in their intended direction, only to stiffen at their awkward movements. "Oh you're heading this way too?" Ace asked, feeling a bit of heat rising to her cheeks.

"Yeah." Kai laughed.

The teens continued walking in the same direction, towards the gate of the school.

"I'm heading to the cafe just across the park. I need to meet with some people." Kai brought up, starting a conversation.

The female smiled at his words. "To get home I go through the park."

"Oh really?" Kai glanced at her, a small glint in his golden eyes. "Then you must walk through here a lot."

Ace shook her head. "Well, I suppose I'll be walking through here a lot. I just transferred schools today."

He raised an eyebrow in interest. "Oh really? How are you liking it here so far?"

Ace shrugged. "It's alright I guess. Had a few strange encounters but that's alright."

"Strange encounters?"

"Yeah. It's just with some people that I've met today."

"Ah, I see. Maybe I know these people?"

Ace looked at him for a moment. "Um.. I met five people today. Six, counting you. Allian, Raiden, Ryoma,  Akia, and Faith."

Kai smiled. "So you've met most of the guys I spend time with."

"There's more?"

"Yes, one more. With your luck, I'm sure you'll meet him soon."

Curiously, Ace put a finger to her chin thoughtfully. "Who's the other one I haven't met?"

Kai adjusted the bag on his shoulders. "His name is Evan. He's very shy and loves music. I'm sure you'll find out more about him when you meet him."

Ace smirked. "But what if I don't get to meet him?"

He shrugged. "Then I'll introduce you to him if you'd like."

"If that's okay with you, then sure. I would love to."

"Alright."

The two continued walking through the park. A slight breeze had picked up and ruffled Ace's hair. It felt cool against her skin. "I really like walking out when the weather's cool like this."

Kai grinned at her. "I like taking strolls around as well. There's something liberating about it, especially with all the stress that's building up and all. The cold air is perfect for one of these walks."  

"Yes! Exactly how I feel about this." The female exclaimed. Then as she looked back at him, her attention was drawn to a black strap slung across his chest, attached to a box-shaped bag. She recognized one of these bags.

"Do you like photography?"

Slightly astonished, he pushed his glasses up higher on the bridge of his nose. "Yeah, I do. Did you ask because of my bag?"

"Yes. I had a friend back in my old high school that loved taking pictures. She carried a camera with her all the time."

Glancing at the black bag, he considered showing the female some of his pictures. "It must be really nice. Are you interested in it? Seeing some of the pictures I took, I mean."

The girl beamed at his offer. "Yes! Can I?"

Kai grinned happily. "Of course." Then his smile tugged down a bit as he came to realization that he shouldn't keep the people at the cafe waiting for him longer. "I forgot, I have to meet people at the cafe. Maybe another time?"

Ace frowned. "If that's the case, then you shouldn't keep them waiting." She then smiled. "Yes, if we see each other again, then you could show me some pictures."

Kai nodded. "It's a promise."

As the two teens exited the grand park, they bid each other farewells and hopes to see one another again soon. He watched as the girl parted with him, crossing the street and soon disappearing out of sight.

~

Ace dug her hand into a smaller pocket of her backpack before reemerging with a key. She inserted the key into the lock of her house's door, effectively unlocking it. Pushing it open, she entered the house, eyes looking around her abode, searching for two figures.

"Dad? Aunty? I'm home!" She announced before closing the door and locking it.

"Welcome home Ace! How was school today?"

The female smiled as she met her gaze with her Aunt's- a stout woman with fading black locks and a loving look in her hazel eyes. She was holding on to a cane for support.

"Very interesting. I met some people today."

The woman walked over to the girl and wrapped her arms around the younger girl briefly. "That's great! Are they males or females?"

Startled, the female replied, "Uhh, I met both genders."

Her Aunt pointed a finger at her. "Don't fall for the guys. You're too young to have a boyfriend." She then smirked and proceeded to walk away, waving her hand in a joking dismissive manner as she heard her niece cry out, "What?! Why would you assume I'd fall for them?!"

Grunting, Ace walked towards her room, placing down her backpack on a small counter by the corner of her room. She walked out and searched for her dad. Her eyes landed on a middle-aged man, his short black hair seemed to be uncombed. "Hey, Dad." She greeted softly.

A long moment of silence passed before her father seemed to snap out of his daze, however, his eyes still remained distant as he turned his attention on her. "Hi, Ace. Welcome home."

The female frowned at his empty reply. "Do you need help with the chores?" She indicated towards a large basket that contained clothes fresh out of the dryer.

"...That would be lovely. Thank you, Ace."

She walked towards the laundry basket, picking it up and bringing it to her own room. Then, one by one, she folded and organized the clothes into their respective piles.

~

By the time she had finished with all the laundry, a few good hours had passed by quickly. She glanced at the clock and noticed she just had enough time to take a shower before dinner rolled around.

Picking up some clothes out of her closet, she walked to the bathroom and turned on the water, allowing it to warm. Quickly freshening up, she threw on her pajamas and exited the bathroom, walking towards the kitchen where she saw her Aunt laying down food on the dinner table.

"Ace, can you please place the utensils down on the table and call your dad?" The woman requested.

"Yeah, of course." She picked up the forks and spoons, bringing them to the table and placing them down beside some dishes of food. Walking into her dad's room, she noticed him gazing at an old picture that stood close by on a counter. She knew that her dad was looking at her mother- the mother whom she never met.

"Hey, Dad? Dinner's ready." She told him. Watching her dad, he sighed and stood up after a long moment. Walking back towards the dining table with her dad close behind her, they all took their seats.

"Dinner looks great, Aunty!" Ace cheerfully exclaimed, trying to lighten up the mood. Her Aunt just smiled at her.

As they ate, Ace felt a prick against her mind again, aching to ask about her mother. Every single time she asked her father, he would reply to her questions with silence. She needed to know about her mother.

"Hey, Dad?" She began, her voice soft.

"Yes, Ace? What is it?" Her father asked. He sounded stressed.

"I know I ask you this every time, but.. Can you please tell me more about my mom?"

Ace could see her Aunt's eyes lower, probably in sadness.

As expected, her father remained silent, staring down at his food. He placed his fork down, not making another move.

"..Excuse me." Her father stood up and walked away from the dinner table.

The girl stared at his empty seat blankly.

Her Aunt gently patted her shoulder. "Ace, dear. I know that this is dif-"

Ace slammed her fist down onto the table. "No.. You don't know. You grew up in a perfect family, both of your parents and two brothers. You never experienced never knowing about your mother. You never experienced a father who refuses to answer any questions related to mom. You were never kept in the dark." She stood up and retreated back to her room, slamming the door closed.

Frustrated, she slipped into bed. She wished she had a normal family with all of her heart. A family that was whole, a family that never needed to move constantly for work. Parents who loved her.

A creak from the door signified that someone was entering.

It wasn't before long that she felt a dip in the bed as it shifted from the new weight.

"Darling, I know it's hard on you, never having a complete family. But you know, there are lots of people who care for you, people that you don't realize may be considered as your family." Her Aunt spoke. The girl was reminded of her Aunty herself, and her best friend that she had to leave behind. Lyra. "Things will get better in the future. Just allow your father some time to completely move on from your mother's passing.. You know he hasn't been able to move on because everytime he sees you, he sees your mother as well."

The sulking female shifted in her bed, looking up as her Aunty forced a small smile. "Your mother was beautiful, just like you. I remember how bright and happy your mother was, always making your father smile. She was intelligent and confident, a very strong woman. And I know you're going to be just like your mother, but even stronger. I know it's tough on you, but you know, the more darkness there is, the brighter the light will shine."

Her Aunt wrapped her arms around the girl, embracing her with tender care and love. "Seeing you grow up makes me so proud. I'm so happy that you've grown into a fine young lady and I know that you're still growing and learning. You'll shine brightly, making many people smile in your lifetime. You'll be happy after you break through the chains that are holding you down."

After pondering over her words, the female gave the woman a small smile. "Thanks, Aunty."

The older woman soon released her arms and stood up. "Alright, darling. I'll leave you to rest, but do make sure that you come out and eat something soon." As she walked towards the door, she glanced back at the girl. "Don't forget, we're going to be baking cupcakes tomorrow." She exited the room, closing the door behind her gently.

Left alone to her thoughts, Ace nuzzled her pillow and sighed exhaustedly. She smiled at the reminder of baking cupcakes with her Aunt as she'd always enjoyed baking. Before she knew it, she found herself drifting away, enveloped into the welcoming feel of oblivion after a long, exhausting day.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

182K 4.1K 11
*I CHANGED THE COVER!!! AND I LOVE IT!!!!* *Also, please don't try and correct any of my work, either grammar, puntuation or anything else. I worked...
32.6K 1.3K 27
Life is filled of unexpected surprises, but whats really shocking; is seeing your middle school crush fashioning a pair of handcuffs and having the c...
163K 3.1K 14
Your family is basically filled with priests and religious people so they decided to put you in an all girl's Catholic highschool. On day you save a...
2.4K 56 3
"Oh y/n did you know I used to be god's favorite but now he won't listen to my prayers anymore.He let me fall, im no longer in heaven but it was wort...