On the Court #Wattys2015

By themoneb

The color of his skin didn't matter. With his heart on his sleeve and panty-melting smile, she fell for him... More

On the Court
CH 1: Coffee shop soundtrack
CH 2: Cheer Shorts
CH 3: Wolfpack!
CH 4: Just a New Year's Eve party
CH 5: Our Hang Out
CH 6: Feeling Used and Confused
CH 7: Wilmington Blossoms
CH 8: The New Things
CH 9: A Year Older A Year Wiser
CH 10: Assumptions
CH 11: My First
Ch 12: The Story Begins
CH 13: A Visit
CH 14: It's Time
CH 15: The First Year
CH 16: The Third Year
CH 18: The Fifth Year (part two)
CH 19: The Fifth Year (part three)
CH 20: Another Go
CH 21: To Gain And Lose
CH 22: A Valentine Love
CH 23: A 'Yes' Would Suffice
CH 24: To Stir and Let Sit
Epilogue
Extra: The Other Generation
Extra: Happy Father's Day
Extra: Growing Pains
Extra: It's Not Always Sunny
Extra: Can't Leave It Alone

CH 17: The Fifth Year (part one)

2.7K 74 15
By themoneb

If this feels rushed I truly apologize. Enjoy! Picture of Rory on the side.

Toni watched as Joseph went for another shot and made it. He still looked a little bummed about it since it was his first shot since practice started but she was proud.

The coach blew his whistle and gathered the little team into a huddle of sorts.

Toni smiled down at her little boys tussled hair and sweaty brow. "You did better today."

"Barely."

"It's only your fourth practice. You'll get better every time."

"I wanna be better now," he softly said, his eyes brimming with tears. Toni kneeled down and used her good hand, the left, to wipe away the moisture trickling down his cheek.

"Remember when I told you that I used to cheer?"

He nodded.

"I wasn't all that good at first. It took me a while to get where I needed to be. I promise you that by next year, you're gonna be great."

He sniffled and nodded his head again. I gave him his water bottle and stood up to hand him his Nike bag and shoulder on my purse.

"Let's go get Rory from lessons and then head to the grocery store."

***

"Mama Nia."

"Yes, Rory," she replied, pushing the two year old in the shopping cart.

"My birfday soon," she grinned. Toni lightly laughed. Rory had been dropping hints about Disney for the longest time and Toni was saddened to tell the hopeful little girl that they couldn't go.

Kyle was getting worse by the day.

Raquel is still in rehab.

And Toni can't take another beating to try and convince Kyle about tickets.

"We'll have a very special birthday for you but only if you're a good girl."

She widened her pale blue eyes and jutted out her lip, "I'm always good."

"You threw cake at your brother on his birthday," Toni argued, stopping in front of a certain part of the isle.

Joseph slightly groaned at the memory, bouncing his basketball to get rid of the frustration.

"That was ages ago," she exaggerated, using terms from her favorite Youtube video.

Adventurous Adventures Of One Direction.

"It's barely been a month."

"Can I get a candy bar?" Joseph suddenly asked, making Toni wince because she knew exactly what was coming next.

"I want bar too!" Rory shrieked. Toni sighed and told Joseph to get them both one. "Don't bounce that ball!" she called after him, receiving a light chuckle from an elderly lady.

With her bad hand on the carts handle and the other stretching up to the top shelf, Toni tried to reach the Jelly.

She felt the cart move, telling her that Rory was impatiently kicking her feet.

She felt someone move in beside and she suddenly saw a hand grab it and hand it to her instead. Heat traveled up her neck as she lowered her arm.

She nervously laughed, "Even with four inch heels I'm still too short to-"

She completely froze, the jar of jelly slipping from her hand and shattering on the ground.

She opened her mouth to say something but the fact that she hadn't even said his name in so long left her with no sound escaping.

"Toni..." he awed first.

He swept his gaze from top to bottom and back up again. Toni nearly sighed in relief when she thought of what she had on.

Black heels, dark gray jeans, black off-the-shoulder sweater and make-up to cover the bruising.

Not to forget the haircut that let wind blow across her neck. The glossy bob actually suit her.

"Darren," she finally croaked out.

"Uh, I...How've you been?"

"I've been...okay."

"Mama Nia, you drop jelly," Rory whined. Toni blinked a few times and took her gaze from Darren's and turned to the little girl.

"I know, sorry baby. How about grilled cheese instead of PB&J this week?"

"Yay!" she squealed, making Toni smile.

"Your daughter?" Darren quietly asked.

Toni cautiously turned back to him. "In a way, yeah," she nodded. "So, uh...what are you doing here?"

"Grocery shopping," he densely replied with a slight quirk at the corner of his mouth.

"I meant in Maryland," she lightly smiled.

"My mom's getting married and, for some reason, she likes this place."

"That's sweet."

He rolled his eyes, not really wanting to talk about his mom getting married to an immature...ugh!

Toni saw Darren's eyes shift down and to her side and watched as they slightly widened in awe. The next second Toni felt something lightly tap her arm. She looked to see Joseph there looking at her with a saddened smile and two candy bars held up to her.

He's still upset about practice.

Toni took the bars. "Mama Nia, up!"

Toni sighed and turned, getting Rory out of her seat and settling her on her hip.

When she turned back around she saw Joseph staring at Darren with his jaw dropped.

"You're..." Joseph couldn't even talk. He gulped down his little nerves and held up his ball. "Can you please sign it."

Darren knew...he just knew. It was in the hair and, god, the eyes.

He smiled down at the boy, "I'm afraid I don't have a marker."

"Mom," Joseph said, looking at Toni expectantly. She gave her purse to Joseph who rummaged through it until he found a sharpie. He gave the ball and marker to Darren and bit his lip impatiently.

"You're an...amazing player," Joseph said in complete awe.

"Thanks," Darren chuckled. He gave the ball back and the marker to Toni. "You play?"

"Y-yeah...sort of. I just started but-"

"Can you please clear the area so we can clean this mess," a store employee said the words politely.

They stepped back and watched the man clean the mess. He made it known he was checking out Toni and once he reached her eyes, he winked. She pursed her lips and flicked him off with her ring finger. He stood up after the mess was clear and his eyes widened.

"O-oh, you're um...you're Mrs. Anderson."

Toni nodded, feeling Darren's eyes on her.

"Kyle is like...the coolest guy ever."

"That's my daddy!" Rory shrieked.

Toni shook her head, "How do you know him?"

"I meet up with him every now and then with my brother. They work together. He parties-"

Toni held up her hand for him to stop and practically shooed him away, not wanting to hear another word.

She was irritated and needed to go home and at least try to rest.

"Look" she told Darren, "it was nice seeing you again but I...I have to go."

She picked up her purse and turned with a chattering Rory still on her hip.

Darren's mouth was left open.

"Push the cart JoJo," she called over her shoulder, her heels clicking against the ground.

Joseph thanked Darren and put his ball in the basket before beginning to push it.

"Toni!" he called. She stopped and looked over her shoulder. "When can I..." he glances at Joseph and then back at her, "when can I see you guys again?"

"Whenever...but I don't make promises," she muttered.

She didn't mean to sound cruel but it was all too much in just a few short minutes. It was like a smack to the face to see Darren again. And then there was another. Darren just saw Joseph, his son, for the first time and she couldn't have acted less heartless.

***

"Kyle..."

Nothing.

"Kyle, wake up."

"Daddy sleeping," Rory giggled, poking his cheek.

More like blackout drunk.

"Stop that, Looney," Joseph said, grabbing his little sisters hand.

Toni huffed, putting away the last of the groceries. She slipped off her heals and told the kids to go up to their rooms.

She kneeled beside Kyle and shook his shoulders. He groaned and that gave Toni a little hope. She started stroking her fingers through his hair, knowing that it soothed him enough to make him wake up. Odd but true.

"Come on, Kyle, let's get you to bed."

"I'm fine here," he mumbled.

"You're in the middle of the foyer. Get up."

She stood and took both of his arms, pulling to get him to stand up.

"I don't need your help!" he snapped, snatching his hands from hers.

Toni stumbled back and slammed her back into the front door. She scrunched her face at the pain and moaned as she slid down, landing hard on her bottom.

Her head throbbed and her already sprained wrist sent bursts of pain up her arm. The brace didn't help.

Through her dry throat she seemed to mumble, "Fuck."

***

Toni was getting the kids all packed up for the park. Since Kyle was still passed out from the day before, she thought it would be a good idea to get them out of the house before he woke up.

"Are you bringing your ball?"

Joseph shook his head.

"I'll bring it just in case, okay?"

He shrugged and walked passed her out the door.

Parks held the door open for them and got in himself to start their drive.

The park was a while away but it was worth it. She only took the kids there once before and going there now was long overdue.

Once they got there Rory ran off to the swing set with the other kids, letting her little dress flow.

It was really cold but the little girl was determined to wear her purple sundress. Toni said she had to wear her jean jacket with it and Rory told her only if Toni wore the same thing.

So here they were looking like true mother and daughter.

Joseph was being clingy and Toni didn't really understand why. She picked him up with much difficulty and held him close to her.

She was glad he was a little small for his age because if he was even a pound heavier she didn't think this would be possible.

She settled down on a bench with Joseph on her lap as she watched over Rory.

"Mama Nia, look!"

Toni smiled at Rory who was doing a leap she learned in her ballet lesson.

"I'm cold," Joseph mumbled into his mom's neck. Toni squeezed him a bit tighter and kissed his temple.

"Did you leave your jacket in the car?"

"I didn't bring it."

That made Toni sigh. She thought he was old enough to know what to bring when they go out but figuring they don't leave much...

"I'll be your warmth," she teased, rubbing him at his sides.

"Tickles," he laughed. He squirmed around in his moms lap and tried to push her hands away.

"Um...do I know you?" someone suddenly asked while tapping Toni's shoulder.

She turned her head to see a girl in her teens looking down at the two of them. "Uh..." Toni muttered, placing Joseph beside her and standing up. She took a closer look and then a small smile spread on her face.

"Kayla?"

"I knew it was you," she whispered in awe. She came around the bench and hugged Toni. "How've you been?" she asked.

They pulled away and Toni put a piece of hair behind her ear before answering, "I've been alright. I'm guessing you're here for your mom's wedding."

"How'd you know?"

"I...um. I ran into Darren yesterday."

That explains a lot Kayla thought. She wondered what triggered Darren's bad mood when she was on the phone with him yesterday. It was late in the evening when she decided to call him because she missed her big brother. She was upset because he was upset and snappy.

Kayla's eyes shifted down to Joseph who was now standing on the bench and facing them. She sorrowfully smiled and her eyes glistened with unshed emotion.

"You must be Joseph."

He nodded.

"Can I...can I hug you?" she croaked. He slowly nodded again, not understanding why she was crying.

Kayla wrapped her arms around the small boy and breathed him in. She pulled away and stared at him, stroking his sides.

"How...how do you know that..." Toni stammered, confusion written on her face.

Kayla sighed and said, "Darren came home one night pouting and crying about whatever Luna had told him the day before. I was surprised because...I mean, he flew from LA just to sulk. My mom was speaking with him in the kitchen and I just kept hearing 'baby' and 'why'. He was so hurt. Joseph Alexander is a beautiful name."

Toni felt a tear streak her cheek and quickly wiped it away. "I never meant to hurt him."

"Hasn't been the same since," she mumbled. "but hey, it's been better."

"That's good," Toni said, not knowing what else to say.

"Would you...would you guys mind having dinner with us? My mom's making rolled tacos."

"Oh, um I don't think-"

"They have rolled tacos?" Joseph spoke up.

Kayla playfully gasped, "They're only the best form of taco you can ever have," she smiled.

"Can we go mommy, please?"

"It's an early dinner, late lunch type of thing," Kayla said.

"Alright, go get your sister."

***

Toni let Kayla ride with them since she had walked to the park. Kayla told the driver the address and then they were on their way.

Toni wasn't really prepared to see Darren's mom. Not after all of these years. She was mostly scared about what she'd say about her current situation.

They arrived to some small houses that Kayla soon explained they were only renting for the time of the wedding.

She held Joseph's hand with her braced one and Rory with the other as they walked into the home after Kayla.

"Smells good," Rory chirped. And it did.

Kayla led them to the kitchen where her mom was frying the chicken rolled in tortilla.

"I brought company," Kayla singed as she sat at the small dining table.

Elena looked up and she nearly gasped. "Toni."

"Hi, Elena."

Her eyes shifted down to Joseph and they grew big and doe-like. She paced to him and kneeled down, wrapping her arms around him. "Ay, mijito," she nearly cried. She pulled away and stroked his face, "Tan lindo."

Joseph whimpered and moved behind his moms leg, not liking the attention.

"He's a bit shy," Toni apologetically said, "say hi, JoJo."

"Hi," he whispered.

"Looks just like his father," Elena muttered, standing and going back to the stove.

"Where'd Darren go?" Kayla asked.

"To get the guacamole and cheese. He forgot it yesterday."

"Um..." Toni said uncomfortably, "can I talk to you Elena?"

"Watch the tacos," She told Kayla, leading Toni down the dimly lit hallway. The kids were gonna follow but Toni signaled for them to stay where they were and take a seat at the kitchen table. They stepped into a bathroom and Toni closed the door behind them.

She took a deep breath and said, "I'm sorry...I...I never meant to cause so much trouble and just...The way you looked at Joseph," she croaked. She shook and throttled as sobs overtook her.

Elena laid a hand on Toni's shoulder and the other to push her hands from her face. "Why Toni? Why would you do something like this?"

"My father...he made me leave and marry Kyle. I would never...I could never tell Kyle about Joseph. I just can't."

"I loved Darren's father but the moment he cheated on me...put hands on me...I kicked his ass to the curb." She brushed over Toni's cheek bone where the bruise stood out in the bright light. "You need to do the same with Kyle."

Toni licked her dry lips and nodded. "Don't tell Darren. Don't tell him Kyle...that he..."

"I know, shh," she soothed. She grabbed a clean towel from the rack and wet it before settling it on her cheek. "I'm here, Toni. If you have nowhere else to go, I'm here." Toni gave a closed-lip smile and nodded. "Well, in Wilmington but same-difference," she teased, making Toni lightly laughed.

"Thank you. So much."

Toni and Elena made it back to the kitchen where Rory was talking Joseph's head off.

Elena sat next to the little girl and smiled, "I never got your name."

"Aurora," she said slowly, making sure the lady knew what she was saying.

"Well, Aurora, you are a sight for sore eyes."

 "Good?"

 Elena laughed, "That's very good."

Everyone heard the door shut and Toni gulped, already knowing who it was.

Darren came into the kitchen and set his keys and the bags down before greeting everyone. His eyes landed on Joseph, then at Toni.

"Hi man from store!" Rory chirped, running up to him.

"Uh, hi." He shook his head and looked up at Toni again. "What are you doing here?"

"You're...um...Kayla invited me over."

"Didn't mean you had to accept."

"Darren!" Kayla gasped.

Toni felt a wrench in her heart in knowing he didn't want her there.

Darren was upset about the store and how stupid Toni had made him feel. He didn't show it but he was hurt.

She blinked and put a piece of her hair behind her ear.

"Right...I...We're gonna go," she nearly whispered. She grabbed her bag and Joseph's hand. Rory had shrunk away from him and tears brimmed in her eyes at the bitterness dripping off of him.

"Come on, Looney," Joseph called to his sister. She shook her head and followed after them.

"Thanks Kayla, Elena..." Toni murmured with a forced smile. She turned and left out of the door, letting a tear or two slip away.

"Did we do something wrong?" was the last thing Darren heard from Joseph before the door closed.

"Dinner will be ready soon," Elena bit out, angrily cutting up the onions.

"Don't tell me you feel sorry for her."

"Yes, I do, actually."

"Why?! She wasn't looking for your sympathy when she-"

"Shut up, boy!" she snapped, throwing the knife down. "You don't know what she's going through-"

"You don't know either!"

"I have a damn good idea!" She bellowed, shocking both Kayla and Darren. "And you're not gonna stand there and yell at me. I'm the parent."

Darren looked away, huffing as he put the guacamole and cheese into the microwave.

That got Elena thinking about Darren's father. She loved him. She just couldn't get pass the lies and the fights. The day she packed up his shit and left it outside nearly broke her. But she had to do it. She couldn't let her boy suffer another day.

She sniffled, starting to feel the emotion come through.

"Mom-"

"Damn it, Darren! You don't even know what it's like to feel so... Helpless!"

"If this is about my da-"

"Just shut up!"

Darren rolled his eyes and left the kitchen.

Elena wiped her eyes with a cloth, "Damn onions."

***

Toni was writing in her journal when her cell began to ring. She knew it was in the other room where the kids like to play so she asked Rory to get it for her. "Here Mommy!"

The little girl's smile dropped the same moment Toni's eyes widened.

Mommy

"Mama Nia," she corrected, handing Toni the phone and turning to walk away. Toni ignored the call and gently grabbed the little girl's arm.

"Rory-"

"I sorry."

"Don't be sorry, baby. You can call me 'mommy' if you want," Toni said, so much emotion seeping into her voice.

"My mommy said not to," the little girl whimpered.

"Raquel said that?"

Rory nodded.

"Whatever you feel comfortable saying, I'm okay with."

Toni brought her into hug and stroked her soft curls.

Rory snuggled into her warm embrace and whispered, "Okay, mommy."

Toni kissed the side of Rory's head and sent her back to Joseph with a pat to the bottom.

She grabbed her phone and saw that Luna was calling. She called back and was answered to a 'hello' after the third ring.

"You called?"

"Kayla called me to call you and tell you," She took a deep breath "to invite you to Elena's wedding."

"Oh, that's um... All of a sudden. When is it again?"

"Next week."

"Are you going?"

"I don't think we'll make it. Leo has a fever and we'll have to fly out there... It's too much."

"Well, give me her number or Elena's."

"Alright I'll text it to you. Make sure you let her know ASAP okay?"

"Got it. Thanks for sending the message."

"No problem. Love you."

"Love you too, bye."

***

Toni fixed Joseph's little purple tie and then the purple lily pinning Rory's hair.

"Let me get a picture," she gushed, grabbing the digital camera she got for her birthday.

Joseph and Rory hugged each other and faced the camera for the picture.

Toni stood and smoothed her purple silk gown that she bought for the wedding.

"Kyle, it's about time to go."

The only way Kyle was going to let Toni and the kids go is if he went too. During his drunk moments he'd always shout at Toni about being faithful. She just ignored him most of the time, not wanting to mention that the furthest his faithfulness got him was having Aurora.

They all got into the car and Kyle drove them about twenty minutes away to the church.

It was soon to be started and the four of them took seats towards the back. The ceremony was sweet and nearly made Toni cry. "Gross," Joseph mumbled once the couple kissed. Toni lightly nudged his side.

Everyone moved to the back half of the church for toasts and the couple's first dance. There were small tables where people could eat and chat amongst themselves.

"Wow," Rory whispered, gazing at her surroundings.

"It's pretty, huh?"

"I wanna get married too!" she chirped.

"You will one day," Toni assured her and put a stray curl behind her ear.

"Dance with me Daddy!" Rory said, tugging at Kyle's hand. Kyle really didn't want to but she was really hyper. Maybe a song or two would wear her out.

He stood and picked her up, taking her to the dance floor. Toni smiled at watching them softly sway to the music.

"Mom, do you wanna dance?" Joseph asked. Toni accepted and they both started to dance. She couldn't pick him up so she had her hands low to reach his.

"Are you having fun?"

"Yeah," he answered, looking up at her with his big beautiful eyes.

"I wish I could pick you up and twirl you around like a little-"

"Mom," he whined, "you're embarrassing me."

Toni kneeled down and took his hips into her grasp. "That's why you were put on this earth. To let me embarrass you. It's my number one job."

He groaned and crossed his arms in a pouty gesture.

"There's sherbet," she said, knowing it would get him out of this mood.

His face transformed into a huge grin. "Go take your sister."

He nodded and went to tapped Kyle who then set Rory down and watched as they went to the dessert table.

Toni was a bit surprised when Kyle put his hands on her waist and brought her into him. She softly smiled up at him and laid her hands on his shoulders.

His hands roamed to her hips and then eventually to her bottom, gripping her through her dress. She gasped and swatted his hands away, "Kyle..." "You've been working out." She lightly tinged and nodded her head, "I thought I'd start trying to lose some weight." "You look good."

Toni was a bit startled, "Th-thank you." It made her wonder what the hell he was up to.

Her eyes widened more when his lips pressed against the side of her neck. "Kyle-" "There's someone watching."

"That doesn't mean to start feeling me up." "He's staring at what's mine," he growled.

"Don't start this," she softly said, nuzzling his cheek with her nose. It calmed him and the last thing she wanted was a scene. He sighed and hugged her closer. "Thank you," she whispered and kissed his cheek.

The song was slow and sweet and Toni, for the first time ever, felt a warm feeling while in the presence of her husband.

Or maybe because there was someone else tapping her for attention.

She turned around in Kyle's arms to see Darren with a grim expression on his face. She blinked a few times and focused her eyes on the two kids beside him.

Covered in sherbet.

"You've got to be kidding me," Kyle groaned.

"Joseph started it!" "Looney started it!" they yelled at the same time.

"I believe they belong to you," Darren said with a slight tease in his tone.

She turned her head and told Kyle, "Take Joseph to get cleaned up and I'll take Rory."

He made an irritated sound and got Joseph's hand, making their way to the restrooms.

"What happened?" she asked Rory but she shied away and had her head hung low.

Darren answered instead, "They were fine for the first couple minutes and then one spilled some on the other on accident and then the other threw it at the first."

"You're not giving me names because..."

He held up his hands in surrender, "I'm not trying to get them in trouble."

She looked down at Rory who was peeking at her through her lashes. "They're already in trouble."

She took her by the hand and sent a quick, awkward thanks to Darren before leaving to get her cleaned up.

After they were situated again Kyle decided to get himself a drink. Toni made sure to watch him because she really didn't want him to cause a scene.

The kids were at the table enjoying some cookies when Kayla came up to them with Darren in tow.

"Here you go," she sweetly, fakely said and pushed Darren towards her. His eyes widened and he tried to make an excuse, "I don't wan-"

"Don't let him fool you," Kayla interrupted, "he's been talking about you enough."

She left him there as Toni just watched him with a raised eyebrow.

"So..."

"Is there something you need?" she asked.

"Do you...uh...do you wanna dance?"

She quickly replied, "No."

"O-oh."

"I didn't mean to sound rude," she rushed out, "but it's the song choice. I rather slow dance than...dance."

"You used to love dancing."

She slightly winced at his word choice Used to. It was his first time mentioning a mere detail of their past.

"Being a mom and dancing don't even go in the same sentence for me. I haven't danced in years."

"You can try," he held out his hand. She gave the kids a warning look before following Darren to the dance floor.

Just as they got to a spot the song changed. Toni lightly laughed when Darren smacked his lips.

She laid her hands on his shoulders as he placed his on her waist. They swayed softly to the music but both kept quite. It was a familiar feeling that passed through them, making them press closer together.

Darren, though he didn't want to admit it, was glad the she was close to him again. It wouldn't last though.

She's moved on.

But he couldn't help but reminisce all of the great times they had. The intimate ones. She was so beautiful and he couldn't help squeezing her a little tighter.

So beautiful.

"Don't say that," she whispered.

Shit, I said that out loud.

"You are."

She lightly shook her head and squeezed her eyes shut, "Stop."

"Why?"

She pressed her hands against his chest and took a step back. "It doesn't mean anything."

"I mean it."

"Darren...this," she pointed between the two of them, "is nothing. Absolutely nothing."

"I haven't seen you in nearly five years and the fact that you look exactly the same--if not, better-- is beautiful to me. Sorry that I wanted to let you know."

"I...I'm married and you're practically famous. Nowhere in those cards does it give us a chance."

"Barely famous," he mumbled, his head hung low.

"You might not be steve nash or jeremy lin but you're still a part of the team."

"Since when do you know about basketball?" he asked with a slight quirk to his lips. She lightly smacked his arm, "I know some things...not a lot. Joseph likes it so I pretend to be interested while he watches."

"What's his favorite team?" he softly asks.

"The Hornets...and before you ask, Marks. Jeremy freakin' Marks," she laughed.

"Are you serious? His favorite player is...Jeremy? He's garbage."

"We're talking about your best friend here."

"That's how I know he sucks."

Toni just smiled in silent laughter until she felt a tug on her dress. She looked to see Joseph standing there.

"He's acting weird again."

Toni nearly screamed in frustration. Kyle can't even handle his liquor.

She looked back at Darren. "I have to go."

"Toni-"

"It was really nice," she said...and she meant it.

***

A few days after that day Toni decided to write in her journal again. With lots of thoughts in her mind, she wrote nearly five pages.

It was closing in on ten o'clock when she finished. It made her even more glad that she put the kids to bed early.

She wondered where Kyle was and by the strange texts she was receiving from him, she was worried.

Right when she was about to go upstairs for bed the front door burst open.

It caused a yelp to leave from her mouth and her hand to fly up and cover it.

"Kyle?"

"You stupid bitch!"

She gasped and made her way to him, dumbly, to see what was wrong. Of course he was drunk and fumbling to close the door behind him.

She tried to go forth to him and help him up, only to receive a push back.

"You thought I was so dumb," he hissed.

"What are you-"

"Shut up! I knew this whole time, this whole fucking time!"

Panic sieged her, leaving her eyes wide and her lips parted. 

"I know he isn't mine and the fact that you thought you'd fool me really pisses me off!" He tripped on his own feet and tumbled over. Toni was scared...scared for her life.

The moment he looked up the blue was no longer in his eyes, but replaced with dark.

He got up and paced towards her, leaving her to back into a wall. One moment she was looking up at her abuser and the next she was on the floor, pain emitting from her face and gazing up at the man that lived up to his name.

"You cheating bitch!" he spat, sending a kick straight to her ribs. A gagging noise came from deep inside her. She couldn't breathe from the force of the blow.

"I... never cheated on you," she gasped out.

"Liar!" he growled, sending another, more clumsier kick, to her stomach. 

"Kyle," she pleaded.

He crouched down and she could only lay there in pain as he sent a fist across her face.

"You're hurting my mommy!"

Kyle was confused when he felt small hits on his back. He looked over his shoulder to see his daughter with tears down her red cheeks and hurt in her eyes.

"Go away!" he shouted, pushing her roughly away by the face. She flew back, her face connecting with a corner of the wall. 

"Aurora!" Toni shrieked with as much power she could muster. The little girl howled in pain.

"Where's that bastard?" Kyle hissed, getting up and going up the steps. 

Toni was weak, but quick to get up and go to Rory. "Stay right here, baby, okay? I'll be right back."

"It hurt," she cried out, blood gushing from her gashed eyebrow.

"I promise," she whispered, turning and going up the steps as quick as she could.

"Mommy!" she heard her sons pained cry.

"Don't you dare touch my baby!" she shouted, running into his bedroom. He was crouched on the floor with Kyle looming over him, shouting a string of curses at her baby boy.

She pushed him away and caused him to stumble back. She kneeled to her little boy and gushed out, "Did he hurt you? Show me where-"

A sharp kick to her face was enough to dizzy her and leave her motionless.

She blinked away the pain and struggled to get up. She watched as the monster she called her husband kicked Joseph in the back. 

"Stop it!" She grabbed the closest thing to her, Joseph's lamp, and used all of her strength to strike him upside the head.

He crossed the line. The last line of many. He hurt the kids.

He fell in a drunken mess and Toni let out a shaky sigh of release. She was careful to pick up her sobbing son and set him on his bed. "Stay here, okay?"

She grabbed a bag of his and packed whatever she could while in a sobbing mess. She put his bag on her shoulder and turned to him, carefully stepping over Kyle.

"Can you walk?"

He slowly nodded.

"Come on, baby boy." She led them out of his room and she slowly instructed him to go down stairs and wait by the door with his sister.

She left to Rory's room and grabbed her bag to fill with her little clothes.

Toni didn't even bother with herself and made her way down the steps to two crying kids.

"We're gonna go bye-bye for a while. Wanna go to Ms. Elena's?"

She'd be damned if she went to her mom with this. Her dad would be right there asking what did you do?

As if her battle scars weren't enough.

She grabbed her phone and even her journal. She dialed Parks' number and he was there in less than five minutes. They got into the car and Parks was the first to say something.

"Should we head to an urgent care facility?"

"No. Please, no. I just...do you have towels?"

He handed her three towels and she pressed one to Rory's brow, "Hold it like this, baby." Rory whimpered as she put pressure on her wound.

"Please take us to Jay street, Parks."

Toni wrapped her arm around Joseph who cried into his mom's side. She used to other to dab her split lip. She knew she hadn't bled much but the act of talking put a strain on her bruised cheek and eye. Her ribs were a whole nother story.

When they arrived to the house Parks more than reluctant to let them go. 

"Promise not to tell," Toni begged, "Promise."

He sighed and nodded. "Yes, Mrs. Anderson."

She winced at the name. "Toni, please."

He stiffly nodded again, "Yes, Ms. Toni."

Joseph held his sisters hand as they followed his mom to the front door. She weakly nodded and waited.

She directed the kids in front of her so she could watch them. Her vision began to blur. She began to rock and her head began to feel light. Her fight had exhausted her.

The door was opened but she was on the ground before she could properly see who it was.

"Mommy!"

"Toni?!"

***

Cold was really all she felt. Cold on her face, her ribs, her stomach. All the parts that ached but the cold soon soothed.

She whimpered as she took a breath, her lungs straining her ribs. 

"Toni," an urgent voice whispered. She peeled her eyes open and say Kayla standing over her.

"Thank God you're awake. It's nearly noon."

"Where's my babies," she croaked, trying to sit up. She winced and plopped back down, the ice pack slipping from her face. 

"Careful. They're in the living room watching Regular Show."

"Where's your mom?"

"On her honeymoon," Kayla softly smiled. "Darren went to grab more ice."

Toni let out a sob and turned on her side. 

"Toni, what happened?"

"He hurt my babies," she cried.

"They've been asking about you."

She cried harder.

"Aurora's brow stopped bleeding but it's still bruised. Joseph's back just needed some ice. He said it doesn't hurt anymore but there is still bruising.

The echo of the front door closing traveled to the room and made Toni slightly flinch.

"It's Darren. He wants to talk to you."

Kayla got up and left the room. There was some murmuring in the hallway before Darren stepped in, shutting the door behind him.

While on her side she peeked up through her bruised eye. Luckily the swelling went down so it wasn't shut..

"Toni," Darren breathed out, sitting at the edge of the bed. He ran a hand through his hair and breathed out, "What happened?"

She kept quiet.

"I don't know how to help you from here if you don't tell me what happened."

She shook her head and nuzzled her face into the pillow.

He scooted closer and moved the hair from her face. "Who did this to you?"

She opened her mouth to speak but he cut her off quick.

"Don't lie to me."

"Kyle...it was Kyle." Just saying his name made her nose scrunch and a fowl taste flow through her mouth.

He gently grabbed her face between his hands and whispered, "Look at me." She blinked up at him.

"You can stay here as long as you want."

"Darren-"

"You're going to stay here. In the next week I'll be gone back to LA and Kayla will be going back to Wilmington. You don't have to worry about anything but keeping those kids safe. I'll come by every once in a while just to see how you're doing but besides that, I won't be in your hair. Do you hear me?"

"Yes."

"I'll take care of the rest. Just...don't go back, okay? You can't."

"Okay."

"Alright," he breathed out, leaving a tender kiss to her forehead.

Toni's eyes fluttered shut and she wrapped her arms around his neck in a simple embrace.

"Thank you," she said, emotion seeping in her words. "Thank you."

A/N: 

I'm sorry if some parts were left a little blank. As in, they didn't fit your expectations. I truly apologize but I was sort of rushing to give you guys this update.

Thank you to all the new readers for adding this story to your reading lists and spreading it to everyone!

Quick questions:

What did you think about Darren being in Maryland? Did I surprise you with that one?

Kyle's sweet moments?

Kyle's harsh moments?

Toni's new situation?

The fact that Joseph didn't know what a rolled taco was?! His interest in basketball and his favorite player being Jeremy?

First comment gets a dedication.

Second gets a follow.

Others get votes!

For the people who always comment first (you know who you are but I still love and appreciate you!) give the others a chance!

I love my forever fans like Lyssa and Zoe. Just saying!

-Mone'

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

515 28 18
"Good luck out there, Jerk!" I said smiling. "Thanks, Toni!" He said smiling as well. His hands were now on my waist. He was super close to me right...
62.6K 4.2K 40
๐•ป๐–†๐–—๐–†๐–‰๐–”๐–๐–Ž๐–ˆ๐–†๐–‘ ๐•ฝ๐–Š๐–‘๐–†๐–™๐–Ž๐–”๐–“๐–˜ | ยป ๐‘›๐‘๐‘Ž ๐‘ฆ๐‘ By:4๐–™๐–๐–Š๐–˜๐–†๐–๐–Š๐–”๐–‹๐–‘๐–š๐–›โฆ "This won't work, we're too different" She said looking at hi...
81.5K 2.9K 24
DISCLAIMER: I wrote this when I was very young so read at your own risk โ€ข "I'll never understand why you want plastic girls that dont have anything t...
87.5K 5.1K 56
I look out into the parking lot and squint to make sure I'm not going crazy. Walking up with a bouquet of flowers is Justin. He's wearing a muscle te...