Weaving a Song

By Venari

"Your child will be gifted. She will be able to do what even Elves have trouble with. Be warned, she may not... More

Weaving a Song
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100
Chapter 101
Chapter 102
Chapter 103
Chapter 104
Chapter 105
Chapter 106
Chapter 107
Chapter 108
Chapter 109
Chapter 110
Chapter 111
Chapter 112
Chapter 113
Chapter 114
Chapter 115
Chapter 116
Chapter 117
Chapter 118

Chapter 48

2.1K 81 7
By Venari

c.2810 TA

The Orcs had braked to try to scout out their surroundings a little more. "They might not even have come this way, the beasts flew west." One of them snarled.

"Glugth smelled Elf around here, they must be here somewhere."

"Glugth could easily be mistaken." Another one argued. Their argument was increasing and threatening to become quite deathly when Glugth fell over, an arrow in the back of his head. The Orcs all stiffened and closed in ranks.

"We found them boys," the leader snarled. "Two Elves will be easily dealt with. Come out, pretty elflings. We will kill you, but first we will have our fun." He taunted. Surely such a brash Elf as to invade their stronghold would leap at the chance to face them all.

*

There's forty of them. Legolas said. And they are now taunting me, they think there's only two of us. I'm guessing they think it is Almiel and Mithrandir.

How armed are they? His father asked.

Well enough, but I see only eight archers. The rest have an assortment of blades that aren't really, well, blades.

Do you see Almiel?

No, but I feel her and Haldir. They aren't far from here, probably in the next clearing over.

Hmmm, good…

I know that tone… It got you in trouble before. Legolas said hesitantly. Thranduil chuckled.

Undoubtedly.

*

Almiel stared toward where the Orcs were. My brother is there. She said to Haldir.

Haldir nodded, he had felt Legolas through his own bond with him as well as Almiel's. Your father is not far behind.

Indeed, Almiel agreed. Her eyes then flickered to him. Your bond with me has deepened yet again.

Haldir smiled wryly. Are you surprised?

Not really, I just do not know how deep it will go. It seems impossible that it can go deeper.

Perhaps, but it is quite entertaining as well.

Why?

Because you're always frustrated that I'm the only one who seems immune to you. That and you're always somewhat caught off guard when I pull the same trick on you that you do to everyone else.

Almiel looked at him quite shocked. He merely grinned and laughed softly so the Orcs would not hear. Then she blinked. I think the Valar only sent you to annoy me by doing so.

I am sure that was their purpose. He said. Haldir raised an eyebrow slightly after and she crossed her arms and turned away. He reached out and caught her by the arm.

Do not tease me so.

Of course your highness, but as of right now you are my charge.

Be that as it may, I could simply go to my father not a mile from here.

I would be murdered for such a crime as letting you walk through a soon to be battleground. Almiel simply huffed and he pulled her back so that she was forced to accept his embrace. Holding her, he waited. He knew that Orcs or not, feeling the pain and fear of those dying would hurt her, and he would be here to keep her strong.

*

"Come, little Elfling, come out wherever you are, you coward." The leader continued to jest. Suddenly, out of the woods a lone Elf materialized. He wore a cloak and his face was covered. In his hands he held a bow and at his side was a sword.

"Here I am," the Elf said quietly, "What would you have me do?"

"Stupid Elf to come out, trying to prove his courage. Now we will have our fun with you before we take you back to our master. He wants to pay you back for what you did."

"And what did I do?" The Elf said. "I have quite forgotten."

"You took what was ours."

"I don't remember any such thing, but I warn you, you are vastly underestimating me."

"You make me laugh, little Elfling. Your king is very naïve of the workings of the forest."

"Is he?" The Elf asked softly. "I was not aware."

"Indeed, he must have known there would be retaliation for what he did. He was even unaware of us being there for so long. He thinks this realm is his, but it is not. It is ours."

"Strange," the Elf said. He pulled an arrow out faster than lightning and pinned the leader by his stomach to the nearest tree. Suddenly, there was a thunder of hooves and arrows rained down on the unsuspecting Orcs. It was over in a matter of minutes, all forty Orcs either dead or incapacitated. The Elf that was cloaked walked over to the leader who seemed greatly frustrated.

"My, my, you really did underestimate me." He said. He pulled off his cloak and for the first time, the Elves saw an Orc dumbfounded.

"You… you… you are the," He stuttered.

"Elvenking." Thranduil finished for him. His crown glittered in the rays of light that broke through the trees, and his eyes were fiercely dangerous. "I will have you know that I have known of your master for quite some time. I assure you I am quite prepared for anything by this point. Nothing much surprises me. Only that an Orc would be stupid enough to come so close to my realm, for it is mine."

The Orc seemed to shrink under the gaze of the Elvenking whose blue eyes should have been able to kill. "What are you…?" He started to ask. He never finished for as he started to ask his head was promptly removed from his shoulders. Thranduil turned his nose up at the black blood covering his sword and he used one of the Orcs' shirts to wipe it off.

He faced the direction where he could sense his daughter. Almiel? He asked. It was not that long before Almiel and Haldir came riding on their horses. "You really were that close to them the entire time?" He asked. Almiel cocked her head.

"Not the entire time, just until when I sent you that message. I was focused on something else and before I knew it we were that close to them. We could not move without them noticing us without leaving our horses behind, and we figured they would move on and we could circumnavigate them. It seemed they decided to stop and we could do nothing but wait, so wait we did." She looked around at the Orcs who lay dead. "I never would have guessed that you would ride out yourself. We really were not in danger." She said. Thranduil stood straighter.

"I am glad I did." He said and turned around. He began issuing orders and Legolas rode grinning over to them.

"He's just in a mood because his honor was just questioned. Otherwise he never would have dirtied his sword like that himself." Haldir raised an eyebrow. Legolas laughed. "He would have had me do it." Almiel giggled while Thranduil glanced back, seemingly knowing what they were talking about. Legolas looked at Haldir. "It is good to see you again, brother." Haldir touched his heart.

"I am glad to see you as well. Perhaps one day I shall actually come when I am not forced along." Almiel pursed her lips.

"I don't recall forcing you to do anything."

"Aye, you did not. Legolas and your father did, they would have never forgiven anyone who let you out of Lórien without an escort." Almiel laughed.

"I suppose. My brother did impart to me that I had better come back alive." Legolas grunted.

"I did, and now Haldir and I will see you to the Palace alive." He said and turned his horse around. Haldir and Almiel exchanged a glance, shrugged, and then followed the Prince to the Palace.

*

A week later:

"You are leaving me?" Almiel asked Haldir as he finished packing. He turned toward her from his bed that he had been staying in whenever he came to visit. His bag and weapons lay ready to be grabbed on the bed. He smiled as he saw her.

"You left me, remember? I have been here a week. I doubt my Lady will wish me gone even this long."

"You could stay longer."

"You could have stayed longer in Lórien as well." Almiel crossed her arms.

"I doubt my father would have liked that." She said.

"Well I doubt Galadriel will be too happy on her end as well." Almiel sighed.

"I do not really wish for you to leave." She said. Haldir smiled a little wider.

"Do you really think I wish to leave you? Nay, but I have a duty as do you." Almiel sighed.

"I do not do much you know. I wonder if I could talk my father into letting me return with you."

"Mmm… maybe your father, but never Legolas."

"Did I hear my name?" Legolas' voice came from the doorway. Almiel turned to look at him.

"Yes, we were wondering if you would let me return to Lórien."

"No," Legolas answered quickly smiling. "But have I become so detestable to you?" That drew a laugh from his sister.

"No, I only wish we could keep him here longer." Almiel said, pointing to Haldir who raised an eyebrow at her. Legolas inspected him. He stroked his chin thoughtfully.

"Perhaps the Lady will not notice if we kidnap him. Do you think she would send someone after him?" Almiel looked at Haldir curiously.

"I think the better question is what she will believe when she finds he has been tied up and kept in a locked room." She said indifferently. Haldir sighed.

"I think she would be most disappointed, and she would never let me return you home anymore." He walked over to Almiel. "You told me you figured you would visit me in Lórien sometime soon. Well, I figure that means I will be back here sometime soon as well. This is only a short time away from each other."

"That depends on what soon means." Almiel said.

"And where am I in all this?" Legolas asked teasingly.

"You are being the annoying older brother." Almiel told him. Legolas pretended to look offended.

"Thank you dear sister, remind me to tell father never to let you go to Lórien again."

"I shall talk him into letting you come, worry not." Haldir said winking. Legolas opened his mouth to retort but Almiel simply shushed him with a glare she had inherited from her father. Legolas, though he had his father's eyes, was more like his mother and could not pull off the look quite as well.

"Besides, Ada likes me better."

"Mmm, that's why he won't let you go."

"And is that the same for being the, what was it again? Ah yes, spare arrow?" Legolas gave her a look that clearly said he had not intention of staying to be insulted and so he simply turned his back and left the room. Sore dignity? Almiel called after him but he ignored her. Haldir walked over to her.

"It will be sooner than you think." He told her quietly. "I think that events will begin to unfold much quicker now that you've found out who resides in Dol Guldur. That will probably mean I end up here or you end up in Lórien in the next century or so."

"A century is still a long way away." Almiel said softly. Haldir sighed looking in her eyes. I know. He thought to himself wondering if his new found feelings would allow him to leave her side for much longer than that. Though I cannot well tell Galadriel I must leave for that reason.

"Maybe, but that is because you are young. A century will fly by before you know it." He said. Almiel smiled.

"You still know me way to well."

"And it still frustrates you that I know what to say." Almiel sighed.

"Unfortunately," she said. I am glad though. She told him. She leaned into his arms and placed her head on his chest. I will miss you.

And I you. Haldir said. While she rested in his arms, he wondered how he would survive a century without her with him. But our bond is growing. He told her. Who knows, maybe we will be able to communicate all the way from here to Lórien. After all, Legolas used our bond to call to me in Lórien a long time ago and it has only grown since.

Perhaps, I hope so.

*

Almiel, Legolas, and the Elvenking escorted Haldir to the Palace gate. "I thank you for your hospitality once more, Your Majesty." Haldir said, inclining his head to Thranduil.

Thranduil smiled. "It is no trouble." After all you have done for my daughter you are most welcome here. He told Haldir silently. Haldir simply touched his hand to his heart again.

"Namárië, brother." Legolas said to him. Haldir smiled.

"Namárië," He said. They clasped forearms as warriors were want to do, and then he turned to Almiel. "My Lady," he said and kissed her hand. Almiel said nothing with words, but inclined her head.

Farewell. She said simply through their bond. Then he turned and mounted his horse to leave.

As he rode out, he sent her one last thought, Remember it will be soon. He said.

Ironically, Haldir was not far off at all. Events would indeed unfold quickly, and it would be close to around a century that he was off to visit her once more.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

135K 3.5K 25
[Highest Rank: 1 in Lord Of The Rings] "love is a strange thing. Once it happens, nothing and no one can change it, in any condition.". Niphredil Ele...
6K 115 66
''My heart doesn't matter, does it? Even if it is true, and he feels something for me too, it is still doomed to fail, isn't it? Elves can only love...
153K 3.5K 33
Caladwen was a baby elf who lost her family. She was all alone when Sauron, Lord of Mordor found her. He took her back to Mordor with him and raised...
335K 13K 74
Book One "From the time we are born we start making choices. At the time when we are young we learned that our choices come with consequences. Some a...