Belated Blessings

By idreamofme

Elise Riley-Tate moves through life in search of her happily ever after. After suffering a devastating loss... More

Author's Note
Prologue
Chapter 1: Honeybun
Chapter 2: First Things First
Chapter 3: Who's the Doctor?
Chapter 4: Hopeful
Chapter 5: Memories
Chapter 6: Peaceful Slumber
Chapter 7: All White Everything
Chapter 8: Slowly but Surely
Chapter 9: Feelings
Chapter 10: Where were you?
Chapter 11: Realizations
Chapter 12: Back To You
Chapter 13: A Deal is a Deal
Chapter 14: Sunny Skies and Thighs
Chapter 15: As The World Turns
Chapter 16: Change of Plans
Chapter 18: The Lies We Tell; The Secrets We Keep
Chapter 19: Twinkle Twinkle
Chapter 20: Sharing is Caring
Chapter 21: Daddy's Blues
Chapter 22: Birthday Wishes
Chapter 23: Let's Straighten It Out
Chapter 24: Enough is Enough
Chapter 25: Preventative Measures
Chapter 26: Birthday Woes
Chapter 27: Cuts and Bruised Egos Pt. 1
Chapter 28: Cuts and Bruised Egos Part 2
Lets Talk
Chapter 29: Heartbreak Hotel
Chapter 30: Talking Tables
Chapter 31: New Year, New Possibilities
Chapter 32: Tate v. Simmons
Chapter 33: Aftershock
Chapter 35: These Are My Confessions
Chapter 34: Cake Cake Cake
Author's Note
Chapter 36: Just Spit it Out
Chapter 37: On Sight
Chapter 38: Taming the Beast
Chapter 39: New Adventures
Chapter 40: Game Changer
Chapter 41: Roads Less Traveled
Chapter 43: Champagne in my Chalice
Cherry Soliloquy
50K!!!
Chapter 44: I'll be Here
Chapter 45: Someone Please Call 9-1-1
Chapter 46: A Dangerous Woman
Chapter 47: I Was Here
OVOS AWARDS
Chapter 48: I Understand
Chapter 49: Rise Up
Prayers
Epilogue
Hmmm...
Sneak Peek: Peace from Pieces

Chapter 17: A Day to be Thankful

3.6K 197 86
By idreamofme

November 27, 2014

Today was my favorite day of the year, Thanksgiving. Although I understood culturally why people didn't celebrate it, it was special to me. It was the one day family came together, ate, laughed, and enjoyed each other's company. It was not about gifts or elaborate displays, just loving and being thankful for each other.

Vivian and my mom, Ava, came over last night to help me prep the house for Thanksgiving. My first year of hosting I made the mistake of going overboard with elaborate centerpieces and place settings. It was so overwhelming that most people just ate in the living room or den. This time I kept it simple with a beautiful centerpiece and a few fall decorations scattered around the house and outside.

Zach and Jayme were outside frying the turkey, while the ladies were inside making sure all the fixings were made. Besides Turkey, we had ham, and chicken, yams, collards, cabbage, too many casseroles to name, dressing and desserts galore. I'm pretty sure that there was more than I called but after awhile it all started to run together. I had the entire week off so I baked ahead of time because I knew today would be crazy.

After checking over everything and making sure I wasn't needed, I went to shower and change. I had been up since about six this morning. I made breakfast for my house guests and then quickly transitioned into putting dishes in the oven to cook. Dinner was at three, and it was now two, so I know I needed to hurry.

I took a quick shower washing away the smell of food that exuded from my pores. I got out the shower, dried off and moisturized my body. I went to my closet and pulled out the crimson one-shoulder jumpsuit. I noticed my rods had begun to fall so I pulled them up in the best half up, half down style that I could. I kept my makeup minimum with eyeliner and some lip tint.

*ding dong* I made my way downstairs because I heard the doorbell continuously ringing and it seemed no one was answering. As I reached the bottom of the stairs, I adjusted the legs of my jumpsuit, thinking maybe I should have put on a dress. These thick thighs that I inherited from my mom could be a bit unforgiving at times.

My mom used to be a heavyset woman but started to take her health more serious after having issues with her cholesterol. Despite the weight that shed lost, she still had all her womanly curves with thighs thick as molasses. I opened the door coming face to face with Papa Tate and his wife, Janice. I opened the door greeting them warmly. I side hugged Papa Tate because he held a box filled with aluminum pans. " Hey papa," I kissed him on the cheek, " Hey Mrs. Janice," I gave her a friendly wave, " You can take the food in the kitchen and set it up on the counter. The boys are in the back, we will be eating shortly," I said while walking behind them into the kitchen.

" Everything looks wonderful Elise, you really outdid yourself," Mrs. Janice spoke sweetly.

" Thank you," I answered. I peered over at Ms. Vivian who was rolling her eyes while stirring the greens.

" Tate, Janice" Ms. Vivian quipped.

" Vivian," Janice through back over her shoulder following Papa Tate out onto the back patio.

" Un uh, don't start Vivian," Ava said pointing her wooden spoon at her, " not today," she continued shaking her head.

" Oh no worries," Ms. Vivian said slyly. I didn't know what was up with her, but I was not about to get into it. I was just grateful to have all my family here under one roof. Their love was infectious. Even amidst the apparent tension, you could feel the love.

*ding dong* I groaned inwardly. My mom and sister were here, Zach's parents and brother were here so that only left one person, well family to be at the door, Jhene. I don't understand why she needed to be here as if the children couldn't come by themselves as usual. She wanted to be extra this year. I was climbing down from the stool, when Vivan stopped me, " I'll get it," she said in a sing-song voice. Why the hell was she so cheery.

I got down from the stool and started organizing the food on the island in preparation for dinner. To be honest, I was hungry, and I got tired of sneaking samples here and there I needed a plate. Ms. Vivian came strolling in with a handsome Caramel Frappe following her. He seemed to glide in with his smooth skin, freshly trimmed goatee, and waves a girl could get seasick in. I lifted my eye quizzically at the beautiful stranger.

" Ladies, this is my friend Kingston. Kingston this is my daughter Elise, her mother Ava, and her sister Gianna," she said in that same creepy sing-song voice while gesturing to each one of us.

" It's a pleasure to meet you all," Kingston said in a deep husky tone and with that Vivian led him to the living room. Zach, Jayme, Papa Tate, and Janice came in shortly after. He placed the turkey on the platter, and Papa Tate pulled out his utensils to carve it.

" Hey baby," Zach said placing a kiss on my cheek, " where's mama," he asked looking around.

" She in the living room with her "friend"," I said adding air quotes. He lifted his eyebrow and dropped his hand from around my waist as he made his way towards the living room. I just shook my head. This should be interesting. Zach and Jayme were protective over Vivian as if she was their sister and not their mom.

*ding dong* I'm not even about to make assumptions about who that is at the door since everyone is having their friends over. I really want and need for today to be as peaceful as possible. Tomorrow would be my baby's due date, and it was bittersweet not having him here or planning to celebrate his arrival. But today was not a day for moping or mourning. It was a day of love and Thanksgiving.

I opened the door for my Jhene and the kids. I was immediately engulfed in a hug around my legs by my daughter, Zakiya. " Hey daddy's baby," I said picking her up with my right arm while wrapping my left arm around Zykese guiding them into the house. I chose to ignore Jhene as we continued into the living room where my mama and her "friend" were. The only joint holidays that Jhene and I celebrated the kids were birthdays and Christmas so her wanting to come today was new. I didn't want to think the worst of her, so I just prayed that she was on her best behavior.

"Food's ready," I heard Elise call from the kitchen. Everyone immediately jumped up and filed into the kitchen. We stood in a circle around the kitchen island where most of the food was to say grace.

" Everybody bow your head," I said looking around," Father we thank you for this day and for all of our family and friends that you have allowed to gather. We thank you for your unfailing love and for consistently loving us despite our flaws. We thank you for this food that we are about to receive, bless the hands the hands that prepared it, and allow it to be nourishment for our bodies. In Jesus' name, we pray, Amen."

After the prayer, everyone immediately began making plates and settling in at the dining room table. There was a comfortable silence as everyone was too busy stuffing their face. I sat at the head of the table and to my right was Elise, Gianna, and Mama Ava. To my left, was Mama Vivian, her friend, Jhene, Janice, and my dad sat at the head of the other side. Jayme chose to sit in the den with the kids so that he could watch football. Elise had a small table that she bought for the kids that she had in the den and they just automatically went there out of habit, although this table had an expander that could stretch it to fit at least 12 people.

I look around at my family and mama's friend, and I felt grateful. At this moment I felt so blessed to be surrounded by so much love and positivity. For once, Mama and Janice weren't arguing, although Papa kept giving her friend the side eye. Everyone was involved in their own side conversations. The only sounds to be heard was the clanking of silverware, light chatter, and laughs. Elise and I needed those positive vibes today because I knew tomorrow would be hard.

A throat clearing drew everyone attention to Jhene. After wiping her mouth with her napkin, she looked in Elise and I's direction. " I just want to thank you all for allowing me to celebrate with you all. I know Thanksgiving is not usually the holiday that you share with me but I'm grateful for you extending the welcome," Jhene said while smiling small.

" You're always welcome Jhene. We are family after all," Elise said sending her a smile back.

" Thank you," Jhene all but whispered, " I also wanted to tell you and Zach that I'm sorry for your loss," Jhene said.

All heads snapped in her direction. Where the hell did that come from? Of all the things she could say, she chose to say that. I knew that this could go one of two ways. Elise could say thank you and shrug it off or the country girl from Selma, Alabama could make a debut. I looked over at her, and I could see she was struggling with which persona she wanted to go with.

"Excuse me," Elise said breaking the silence but increasing the tension in the room.

" I said sorry for your loss. You and Zach did lose a baby correct," Jhene stated with a quizzical look on her face. I was having a hard time deciphering the meaning of that face. Was she really expressing honest condolences or was she antagonizing us?

" We did, but that was five months ago, and I have seen you what, three maybe four times since and not once did you mention it, so why now? Elise quizzed tilting her head to the side. I felt her leg bouncing underneath the table which let me know her patience was thinning. I was surprised myself. I had spoken to Jhene several times and not once did she mention it, so I was having a hard time believing she was genuine and even if she did feel that way, that should have been a private conversation.

"But I'm mentioning it now. Look, I'm trying to be nice, so get out your feelings..." Jhene said.

" Get out my feeling Bi--," Elise jumped up from her seat, and I immediately grabbed her and carried her in the kitchen.

" Get your damn hands off of me. I'm sick of her shit. I'm about to give her what she been hoping for." Elise said huffing and squirming trying to get out of my hold.

"El, chill man, we got our family and the kids out there," I said trying to calm her down.

" I don't give a fuck who is out there, that bitch tried it and you not gon save her ass today," she said still wiggling trying to get loose.

" I'm sorry Mama," I heard Gianna say before I heard plates crashing and chairs moving. The distraction allowed Elise to get loose as she ran into the dining room following the noise. The dining room looked like a scene from WWE. Gianna's body was stretched across the table. One hand was holding onto Jhene's hair while the other connected continuously with the side of her face. Jhene was holding on to the wrist of the hand holding on to her hair as she swung wildly with the other. Mama Ava was behind Gianna trying to get her to stop while Mama Vivian was trying to get Jhene.

" Nope, c'mere," I heard Jayme's voice and saw him wrap up a charging Elise. What the fuck man. I rushed over to the table and helped the mom's separate the Gianna and Jhene. Papa Tate blocked Gianna in one corner, while Kingston blocked Jhene in another.

" You hating ass bitch," Jhene spat, " stop trying to compete where you don't compare, and maybe your ass wouldn't be so bitter, " she continued coldly glaring at Elise. What did she mean by that?

" The fuck you mean, compete with who for what. Bitch are you crazy," Elise yelled thrashing behind Jayme trying to get loose.

" You trying to compete with me. I am the ONLY mother of his children. ME," Jhene spat beating her chest.

" Duh bitch, we know that. However, that's all you are, a baby mama. That's his fucking wife, respect that shit," Gianna yelled from her corner. Papa Tate put her ass in a full nelson and escorted her out of the room.

" That doesn't mean shit. I gave him, what you couldn't. What kind of wife are you?" Jhene venomously spat at Elise. Elise looked from her to me and back from her to me again.

" Jay, take her to the garage, Kingston, walk Jhene's ass to the door. Jhene you dead ass wrong." I said shaking my head at her. I couldn't even find the words to speak to her at this point. Here I thought that she came to celebrate the holidays with us and really come together as a family. Meanwhile, her ass was plotting the perfect time to be petty. I don't think she was ready for Gianna though. She never really said much, but I knew she was with the shit.

I walked toward the door hearing Jhene scream about her kids. She looked like a wild woman with her hair all over her head, lip busted and bleeding, a red jaw which would probably be swole come morning, and a gash above her right eye. " The kids ain't going nowhere, but your ass is, " I spat at her.

" I ain't going nowhere without my kids," she spat.

" Girl fuck you! Get the hell out of my house. My kids not going nowhere with your crazy ass, not acting like this," I said while shutting the door in her face. I wiped my hands down my face and leaned my back against the door. I don't know what the younger me was thinking to mess with that girl. Kingston patted me on my shoulder. I guess that was his way of telling me that everything would be okay.

I took a deep breath and pushed myself off the door and headed back into the kitchen where everyone was moving around cleaning. I peeped in the dining room and saw Papa and Kingston trying their best to clean up the broken dishes and food strewed across the dining room.

" Ma, where are the kids," I spoke looking around. I pray that they didn't hear or see any of that. The last thing I wanted them to see is their mothers and auntie going at it like that.

" Jay took them upstairs with ice cream and peach cobbler before everything happened. When I went upstairs to check on them, they were up there watching Sing without a care in the world. How they managed not to hear all this fuss is beyond me. Zach," she sighed," you gotta do something about Jhene. If today was not enough to open your eyes, I don't know what will," she expressed while moving the dishes to the drying rack.

" I know Ma," I said walking to the door that led to the garage, " I'm going to check on El."

"Elise!" I called walking into the garage, but I didn't hear anything. It was only a two car garage so I could see everything from where I was standing. I called out to her again and got no answer. I went back into the house to see if maybe she slipped passed Mama. I saw Mama Ava in the den clearing the kids' table.

" Ms. Ava, have you seen Elise," I queried.

"Last I talked to her; she was in the garage. She told me she needed a minute, so I came inside," she spoke softly still moving around the room.

" She not in there. I just came from out there," I said.

"Maybe she went upstairs to lay down. That was a lot to digest son, even for me, so I can only imagine what she is feeling. I don't know what you're going to do with Jhene, but you need to do something. God forbid she run into Elise or Gianna anytime soon," she said shaking her thinking about what the outcome would be. One Riley girl was enough but when both of them are coming for you... you stand a better chance squeezing water out of a rock.

" I'm going to go check upstairs. Thanks for straightening up in here," I said while retreating to the door. I checked every room upstairs and downstairs in search of my wife but came up short. I fished my phone out of my back pocket and dialed her number. It rang a few times before someone answered.

" Baby, her phone is down here in the kitchen, but she's not in here," my mom's voice came through the receiver.

" Hey man, her car outside, so maybe she went for a walk to cool down," Jayme said meeting me at the top of the stairs.

" Maybe so," I threw over my shoulder as I went into the kids' room. There they sat peacefully asleep in the beanbag chairs in front of the tv. I picked Zakiyah up and laid her on her bed. I pulled the blanket at the bottom of the bed over her and leaned down and kissed her forehead. I then picked Zykese up and did the same. After making sure they were set, I walked out of the room and descended the stairs. I grabbed my jacket from the hall closet and yelled to my brother that I was going to look for Elise and he decided to tag along.

We walked around the neighborhood for almost two hours continually calling the house to see if she made it back but nothing. I was starting to panic. Where the hell is my wife?

So........ Jhene has finally made her debut, what are your thoughts?

Where the hell is Elise? Sis just disappeared?

Did Elise overreact?

How ya'll feeling so far?

Let me go find Elise I'll see yall next chapter?

~Kay

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

485 7 22
Hayley has lost everything. Her world fell apart in seconds and now she has to find a way to put herself back together. Full of grief and hopelessnes...
1.4K 64 26
With Frankie in jail and now caring for her now 7 year old son Kayden with the help from Frankie's mom, Alana has to struggle with what's the next st...
257 0 20
Lily lives the lonely life of a hired assassin and slowly but surely, the stress of the job is getting to her. but one day after a job doesn't go to...
Eternally By K

General Fiction

462 78 27
Krissy is just beginning her new career freshly out of college. As she begins to try new things and explore new places, she finds herself in a friend...