Glee: To the Next Level (the...

By arias3

With all of its original members gone, the glee club must struggle to survive at McKinley High School. Having... More

To The Next Level [Glee FanFic #2]
Chapter 1: Excited
Chapter 2: Trio
Chapter 3: Britney x3
Chapter 4: Rite of Passage
Chapter 5: Payback's a Bree
Chapter 6: Hot N' Cold
Chapter 7: Awkward
Chapter 8: Complicated
Chapter 9: Over
Not a Chapter-- QUESTION TIME ^_^
Chapter 10: Legacy
Chapter 11: Adams-Wilde vs Hart-Brown
Chapter 12: Misunderstandings
Chapter 13: The End of the Beginning
Chapter 14: The Fall Musical
Chapter 15: War for a Role
Chapter 16: Resurface
Chapter 17: Never Set Me Free
Chapter 18: Halloween Bash
Chapter 19: Burning Up
Chapter 20: Hairspray
Chapter 21: Friend or Foe
Chapter 22: Revelations
Chapter 24: Birthday
Chapter 25: Replacement
Chapter 26: Competition
Chapter 27: Generosity
Chapter 28: Feliz Navidad and a Happy New Year
Chapter 29: Eye of the Tiger
Chapter 30: The Creative Process
Chapter 31: Film Do-It's
Chapter 32: Guilty Pleasures
Chapter 33: New Information
Chapter 34: Right Where You Want Me
Chapter 35: Before You Go
Chapter 36: King of Laziness
Chapter 37: That 70s Show
Chapter 38: Decades Dance
Chapter 39: The Next Forty Minutes
Chapter 40: Valentine Grams
Chapter 41: A Time for Love
Chapter 42: Addicted to Love
Chapter 43: Project Popularity
Chapter 44: The Girls' Demands
Chapter 45: One End and Two Beginnings
Chapter 46: Sorting Hat
Chapter 47: One Week
Chapter 48: The Girlfriend
Chapter 49: The Show
Chapter 50: Finale
Chapter 51: New Girl
Chapter 52: Cheerleaders and Angels
Chapter 53: Regionals
Chapter 54: Denial
Chapter 55: Anger
Chapter 56: Fed Up
Chapter 57: Bargaining
Chapter 58: Back to the Beginning
Chapter 59: Poor Unfortunate Souls
Chapter 60: Boys Will Be Boys
Chapter 61: The Full Killing Machine
Chapter 62: Picnic
Chapter 63: Looking For Salvation
Chapter 64: Wonderland
Chapter 65: Downward
Chapter 66: Getting Involved
Chapter 67: Depression
Chapter 68: Change
Chapter 69: Before Prom
Chapter 70: Prom
Chapter 71: After Prom
Chapter 72: The Drinking Game
Chapter 73: No Habla Español
Not a Chapter-- READERS' CHOICE ^_^
Chapter 74: The Super Secret of the Super Devious Super Girl
Chapter 75: Know Your Enemy
Chapter 76: Whatever Comes Next
Chapter 77: The Only Way is Up
Chapter 78: Crazy
Chapter 79: Harlie
Chapter 80: Late Night Bonding
Chapter 81: Athens of the South
Chapter 82: Fly Away
Chapter 83: Superlatives
Chapter 84: One, Two, Three
Chapter 85: Graduation
Character Contest

Chapter 23: Duets and Vulnerabilities

3.9K 83 19
By arias3

Julie walked into the auditorium just in time to see that the other pairs were taking a seat. Marley and John were on stage and the music was starting as Jake and Julie sat down next to Alex and Amity. Neither of them was a big fan of Alex but Amity was sweet. That and all the other seats in the front two rows were taken. So Julie took her seat between Jake and Alex and hoped that nobody punched nobody.

"Alright, Marley and John," said Mr. Schue. "You guys are up first."

"We've been hearing them rehearse," Amity leaned over Alex to whisper to Julie. "They're really good together." Jake stiffened besides her, so Julie smiled to Amity and turned to look at Jake.

"You okay?" she asked him. He nodded and turned to the stage.

Behind them, Ryder and Unique watched them carefully. "Slide her the letter now," Unique whispered.

"No, not until after rehearsals," he responded. "I don't want to make things weird and I kind of need an escape route in case things don't go well."

On stage, Marley's knees quivered as John grabbed his guitar and started playing. She cleared her throat as she began.

Marley: Fall is here, hear the yell, back to school, ring the bell, brand new shoes, walking blues, climb the fence, books and pens...

She looked over at John and smiled. He smiled back, much to Kitty's concern.

Marley: I can tell that we are gonna be friends. I can tell that we are gonna be friends.

Sugar smiled at the cute performance until she turned to Kitty and saw the worried look on her face. She could tell what she was thinking. It wouldn't be the first time a boyfriend realized how mean she was and left her for sweet, adorkable Marley. And now John was joining Marley down center of the stage and smiling at her as he strummed.

John: Walk with me, Suzy Lee, through the park and by the tree. We will rest upon the ground and look at all the bugs we doun. Safely walk to school without a sound. Safely walk to school without a sound.

Julie nodded at the performance, wondering whether John and Marley had talked about her, and didn't look away until she received a message from Sam, which read: Hey, I'm sorry about last week. Just got your message. Is there anything I can do for you?

She turned off the screen and looked back up, not noticing that Jake had seen over her. The latter, who was unsure of what to think of the message and of the performance in front of them, turned around and looked at Ryder briefly. As expected, Ryder was stealing glances at Julie as he listened.

Marley and John: Here we are, no one else. We walked to school all by ourselves. There's dirt on our uniforms from chasing all the ants and worms.

Marley: We clean up and now it's time to learn.

John: We clean up and now it's time to learn.

Marley walked downstage center and turned to John, who had done the same on the left side end.

Marley: Numbers, letters, learn to spell. Nouns, and books, and show and tell.

John: Playtime we will throw the ball. Back to class, through the hall. Teacher marks our height against the wall.

Marley: Teacher marks our height agains the wall.

Bree found herself annoyed by Marley, but now even more so that she noticed how uncomfortable her smiles at John made Kitty. She scowled as she watched them on stage, slowly approaching each other towards the center of the stage once again as they continued to sing.

Marley and John: We don't notice any time pass

Marley: We don't notice anything. We sit side by side in every class.

John: Teacher thinks that I sound funny

Marley and John: But she likes the way you sing

Mr. Schue smiled as the two reached the middle, realizing how little attention he'd paid to John, who was a natural on stage. His seemingly effortless strumming as he sang with Marley, whose voice helped showcase any talent, reminded him of Puck during his later years at McKinley. Although it seemed like they didn't have much interest in the club, when they started playing their music they revealed otherwise.

John: Tonight I'll dream while I'm in bed, when silly thoughts go through my head about the bugs and alphabet and when I wake tomorrow I'll bet

Marley: That you and I will walk together again. I can tell that we are gonna be friends

John and Marley: Yes I can tell that we are gonna be friends.

The rest of the glee club clapped after the last note was strummed. John took off his guitar as Marley led them down the stairs. Unfortunately, the only spot open was the one that was left to them when Bree and Joe got up, and that happened to be next to Kitty and Sugar. Not wanting to make Marley uncomfortable, John sat down next to Kitty and looked forward, afraid to make eye contact.

Meanwhile, as Bree and Joe set up on stage, Jake leaned into Julie. "Are you going to answer Sam's text already or is me being next to you making it weird?" he asked her. She looked at him for a brief moment, sighing as she opened up her phone and opened the message Sam had sent her Friday night after she left him a voicemail. Jake readed quickly and whistled.

"That's brutal," he said. Then he realized he'd said it rather loudly and looked around, finding Ryder and Unique eyeing them, as well as Dan and Shana. Luckily, Bree's voice turned all eyes to the stage and away from them.

"We are going to sing 'Titanitum' by David Guetta," she told them.

"An acoustic version," Joe added as he grabbed his guitar and played.

"Are you, like, the only girl in glee club who plays guitar?" Jake asked Julie in a whisper. "Maybe you should hold some lessons so that it's not just the guys all the time." Julie rolled her eyes at him just as Joe began and the music started playing.

Joe: You shout it out... but I can't hear a word you say. I'm talking loud not saying much... I'm criticized.... but all your bullets ricochet. Shoot me down, but I get up...

Bree took a step forward, nervous about singing a song that was emotional for once. This time, she couldn't hide behind her dancing.

Bree: I'm bulletproof, nothing to lose. Fire away, fire away. Ricochet, you take your aim. Fire away, fire away.

Julie smiled proudly as Jake realized with just that moment that she was right. Bree had redeemable moments and that single verse had been one of them. But that wasn't it.

Bree: You shoot me down but I won't fall. I am titanium... You shoot me down but I won't fall. I am titanium.

Joe tried not to lose focus as he watched Bree transform on stage. He could tell from the look on everyone else's face that they were looking at a side of Bree they didn't know. A vulnerable, scared Bree. He sang the second verse flawlessly, followed by Bree on the chorus once again, until finally they sang together.

Joe and Bree: Stone-hard, machine gun... Firing at the ones who run... Stone-hard as bulletproof glass...

The two sang the rest of the song together and Bree was surprised when the end resulted in applause and praise as she headed back to her seat. Joe put the guitar down at the edge of the stage and followed suit. Kitty and Sugar quickly volunteered to go next, as the former could not stand the tension between John and she.

"You did a great job," Sugar said to Joe as they got up. "You too, Bree."

"That was really great..." Marley murmured to Bree as Joe took the seat next to John.

"Thanks..." Bree mumbled, sitting down. She couldn't help but be suspicious of Marley's sudden appreciation of her talent, so she tried to forget they'd even interacted and turned to her friends on stage. Finally, a performance she could comfortably enjoy.

"Umm..." Kitty said as she made it to the front of the stage. "Sugar and I aren't very alike, but today we found out about one thing we have in common, and that's that we've been judged before, by people who knew nothing about us. Granted we've done it to, we chose a song that we think really expresses how we feel."

Kitty grabbed two stools and dragged them on stage as Sugar grabbed Joe's guitar, to everyone's surprise. "She can play?" Jake asked.

"Guess you were wrong about me being the only one," Julie told him with a smile as Sugar sat down with Kitty and started playing the oversized instrument she'd strapped onto her. Kitty took a deep breath.

Kitty: You don't know my name... You don't know anything about me... I try to play nice. I want to be in your game...

"I love this song..." Amity murmured. Alex turned to look at her briefly and immediately realized he was more interested in the lyrics than he previously had been, hoping it'd give him a better look inside Amity's mind.

Kitty: The things that you say... You may think I never her about them... But word travels fast. I'm telling you to your face. I'm standing here behind your back...

Kitty and Sugar: You don't know how it feels... To be outside the crowd... You don't know what it's like... To be left out...

Kitty: And you don't know how it feels to be your own best friend...

Kitty and Sugar: On the outside looking in...

Kitty once again sand the second verse and Sugar joined her for the chorus as she had before. Her voice had gotten better, Mr. Schue noticed as he wrote down, "Give Sugar more vocal training time." on the notepad he'd been taking notes on. Previous notes included, "Pair John and Marley" and "Give Bree ballads." He looked back up as Sugar took on the bridge.

Sugar: Well I'm tired of staying at home. I'm bored and all alone... I'm sick of wasting all my time.

They sang the chorus two more times, finishing the song. Joe and John were the first to start clapping, followed by everyone else.

Ryder and Unique were called up next, when nobody volunteered, and Ryder seemed a lot more nervous than Unique did, as everyone could tell.

"He's really nervous..." murmured Kitty as she and Sugar took their seats behind Jake and Julie. Sugar nodded, wondering what song they'd sing.

"Great job, ladies," Jake said, turning around briefly to congratulate them before turning back to see what his bro was up to.

Ryder stood at the front of the stage, clearing his throat and just as everyone thought he was going to speak, he gave his cue for the music to play and started.

Ryder: I know your insides are feeling so hollow... And it's a hard pill for you to swallow, yeah...

Julie's internal butteflies fluttered suddenly. Ryder wasn't looking at her, which was strange and discomforting, but she knew she'd have reacted the same, if not worse, had he been making eye contact.

Ryder: But if I fall for you... I'll never recover... If I fall for you... I'll never be the same.

Unique and Ryder: I really wanna love somebody. I really wanna dance the night away. I know we're only half way there. But you can take me all the way, you can take me all the way. I really wanna touch somebody. I'll think about you every single day. I know we're only half way there. But you can take me all the way, you can take me all the way.

Ryder quickly retreated, taking several steps back as he let Unique take the floor.

Unique: You're such a hard act for me to follow. Love me today, don't leave me tomorrow, yeah. But if I fall for you, I'll never recover. If I fall for you, I'll never be the same.

They sang the chorus once again, followed by the bridge. Heads were bobbing, hands were clapping, and mouths were smiling as the rest of the glee club enjoyed the honest performance the two gave.

As they headed off the stage, Alex volunteered to go next. "Wait, what?" Amity told him. "No!"

"You're ready," he assured her. "Come on." Much to Julie's concern, he grabbed her hand and pulled her to the stage with him. Alex turned to the audience and said, "We chose a punk rock song... And we have decided to do a piano version of it to sort of mix our styles together." Not letting her get away, he gave the music cue and forced her to stay on the stage. As the song began, everyone tried to remember where they'd heard the song before. Jake was the first to recognize it.

"Linkin Park," he murmured to Julie, who snapped her fingers and nodded, smiling. On her other side, Ryder had sat down. He was anxious about being next to her but she didn't seem to notice.

Alex: I'm tired of being what you want me to be... Feeling so faithless, lost under the surface. Don't know what you're expecting of me. Put under the pressure of walking in your shoes...

Amity: Caught in the undertow, just caught in the undertow
Alex: Every step that I take is another mistake to you...
Amity: Caught in the undertow, just caught in the undertow

"He's really good," Julie mumbled.

"Whatever," said Jake. "I still don't like him."

Amity: I've become so numb, I can't feel you there. Become so tired, so much more aware. I'm becoming this, all I want to do... Is be more like me and be less like you...

Alex sang the second verse and Amity sang the chorus again. Mr. Schue watched them carefully as the rest of the glee club's respect for Alex and admiration of Amity's vocal power grew.

Amity: And I know... I may end up failing too...

Alex: But I know... You were just like me with someone disappointed in you...

When they were done with the song, the room filled with applause, especially from Marley and John, who really seemed to like not only the performance, but also the performers.

"I think we should go next," said Jake, sensing that Dan and Shana weren't ready as they nervously whispered to each other.

"Yeah," Julie agreed. "I'd rather not be last anyway." Jake nodded as the two left their seats, much to Ryder's dismay, and were replaced by Amity and Alex. Ryder didn't like the way Alex checked out all of his friends, so he was glad when it was Amity who sat next to him instead. He wondered what dance song Jake and Julie would do together but was surprised when Jake grabbed Joe's guitar and the two sat down in the stools Kitty and Sugar had placed on stage.

Without any introduction, Jake started strumming and they began the song, neither of them looking up. Jake busied himself with the strumming and Julie seemed to be looking at the stage's floor, afraid to lift her head up.

Jake: Heeey... yeah, yeah...

Julie: I hate you. Don't leave me. I feel like I can't breathe. Just hold me.... Don't touch me...

Ryder's insides crumbled as he heard the pain in her voice. He wasn't the only one. John wanted to reach out and after hearing the first note from her voice, filled with agony and concealed dispair, he knew it was time to put his pride aside and be there for her.

Jake: And I want you to love me but I need you to trust me. Stay with me... set me free...

Julie and Jake: But I can't back down, no I can't deny. That I'm staying now 'cause I can't decide. Confused and scared, I'm terrified of you...

Marley shifted uncomfortably in her seat, remembering Jake's message.

Julie: I admit... I'm in... and out... of my head...

Julie and Jake: Don't listen to... a single word I've said...

Julie: Just hear... me out... before you run away...

Julie and Jake: Cause I can't take this pain...

To Ryder's surprise, Julie looked up, but it wasn't at him. She looked up and followed her gaze, which he traced over to John. He felt his heart sink down to his stomach as he realized he wasn't who she needed most.

Jake: I hate you... Don't leave me...

Julie looked over at Ryder briefly, but realized it was a mistake, for he was looking right at her and had caught her gaze.

Julie: I hate you, don't leave me... 'Cause I love when you kiss me... I'm in pieces... You complete me...

Julie and Jake: But I can't back down, no I can't deny. That I'm staying now 'cause I can't decide. Confused and scared, I'm terrified of you...

Julie looked away from Ryder, knowing that making it seem like she was singing to him would just confuse him, and that was the last thing she wanted or needed.

Julie: I admit... I'm in... and out... of my head...

Julie and Jake: Don't listen to... a single word I've said...

Julie: Just hear... me out... before you run away...

Jake looked at Julie, making sure she was okay.

Julie and Jake: Cause I can't take this pain...

Jake: No oh, ooh oh

She seemed like she was ready to fall apart, so he wondered whether he should stop the song early or wait it out. But she was already continuing.

Julie: I'm addicted to the madness... I'm a daughter of the sadness... I've been here--

Julie and Jake: Too many times before... Ooh oh... Been abandoned, and I'm scared now...

Julie: I can't handle another fall out... I'm fragile...

Julie and Jake: Just washed upon the shore...

For a moment, Jake thought she wasn't going to keep going as a tear streamed down her cheek. He stopped strumming but she opened her mouth so he immediately continued, knowing he was probably watching her too much but not caring what the others thought of it.

Julie and Jake: They forget me...

Jake: Don't see me...

Julie and Jake: When they love me...

Julie: They leave me...

Julie wiped her face, knowing the others could tell she was crying. But she knew if she gave up now, the song's purpose wouldn't be achieved.

Julie: I admit... I'm in... and out... of my head...

Julie and Jake: Don't listen to... a single word I've said...

Julie: Just hear... me out... before you run away...

Jake: 'Cause I can't take this pain...

Julie: No I can't take this pain...

Jake finally took a moment to look over at their audience and saw that most of them were either really emotional or really serious. He looked back at Julie, who had gone back to staring at the ground.

Julie: I hate you...

Jake: Don't leave me...

Julie: I hate you...

Jake: Please love me...

Not waiting to gauge the others' responses, John stood from his seat, clapping slowly. One by one, the rest of them stood up, first Marley, then Bree, then Kitty, then Ryder, and so on...

Dan and Shana stood up nervously. "That's going to be tough to follow," Dan said anxiously as he stood with his own guitar around him. Shana smiled and nodded.

"We are going to sing," Shana said, "a John Mayer classic, 'I Don't Trust Myself (With Loving You)' so please enjoy."

Dan began strumming and bobbing his head coolly, just as he'd done with his audition song. Shana stood next to him, an arm propped on his shoulder, and nodded along.

Dan: No I'm not the man I used to be lately. See you met me at an interesting time. If my past is any sign of your future. You should be warned before I let you inside.

Julie's sparkling eyes crinkled at the corners as she smiled. She loved hearing Dan's voice, especially during this type of song.

Shana and Dan: Hold on to whatever you find baby. Hold on to whatever will get you through. Hold on to whatever you find baby. I don't trust myself with loving you...

Unique watched Shana carefully, wondering what her deal was. She reached into her pocket and felt the thin parchment of the letter she'd written and wondered whether she should send it at all.

Shana: I will beg my way into your garden. I will break my way out when it rains. Just to get back to the place where I started. So I can want you back all over again.

Shana and Dan: Hold on to whatever you find baby. Hold on to whatever will get you through. Hold on to whatever you find baby. I don't trust myself with loving you...

Jake watched Dan, wondering whether it was just he who thought he saw his gaze follow down to Julie's seat every so often. He was pretty sure the kid was crushing on her and for whatever reason he found this amusing.

Dan: Who do you love? Girl I see through, through your love...

Shana: Who do you love me or the thought of me?

Shana and Dan: Me or the thought of me?

They sang the chorus again and then once more until the song ended, Dan's happy strumming playing until the very end. Julie cheered loudly, feeling a lot better now that she'd poured all her negative emotions into her music. Ryder on the other hand felt a lot worse now than he did before. He felt completely shut out of Julie's life, something which a stupid letter wouldn't fix.

As Dan and Shana made their way off the stage. Mr. Schue smiled, his eyes twinkling with pride, as he concluded the assignment.

By that time, Mr. Schue had racked up comments such as "Ryder needs another lead" "Alumni mentors for the newbies needed" "Alex can bring rock to the group" and "Jake and Julie duet for Sectionals?" Now he was adding, "Give Sam's number to Dan and Santana's to Shana."

"You guys all did a great job," he told them before dismissing them and reminding them that Sectionals was close and they had to work as a team to win it.

"I'm going to be better this time..." Marley promised herself as she walked out. Jake watched he walk away just as Julie joined him by the doors.

"You're a good guy," she told him. "If she can't see that, then maybe it just wasn't meant to be with her." She walked away, leaving him to wonder whether or not she was right.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

49.8K 871 25
Ryley Berry's junior year at McKinley has begun and it's going to be a good one this year. With the New Directions finished, Ryley doesn't really kn...
25.9K 734 58
Quinn Fabray is a new in the city of Lima, Ohio, she moved from New York with her mom. Unfortunately she has went through a hell of a lot but when l...
55.7K 931 52
Sebastian Smythe was now apart of the New Directions along with Hunter, Nick, Jeff, and Thad. He apologized and did an embarrassing thing to get the...
454K 10.3K 53
Everyone at McKinley High knows about New Directions. When the glee club does a production of Grease, sophomore Juliet Vasquez is dragged along to se...