Pursuits (Wattpad Reading Lis...

Door Lyana_S

Meet Captain Macks Droy, a man with a notorious reputation for being a flirt. He settles on Hannah as his lat... Meer

Chapter 1: Gone
Chapter 2: Friends and Enemies
Chapter 3: Rumors
Chapter 4: Break
Chapter 5: The Winter Thieves
Chapter 6: Disappointments
Chapter 7: News
Chapter 8: Apart
Chapter 9: The City of Dalen
Chapter 10: First Impressions
Chapter 11: A Day Out
Chapter 12: Missed
Chapter 13: Return
Chapter 14: Welcome to Jono's
Chapter 15: The Customer
Chapter 16: An Invitation
Chapter 17: Two Worlds
Chapter 18: Plans
Chapter 19: The Move
Chapter 21: Shock
Chapter 22: Inevitable
Chapter 23: Relapse
Chapter 24: A Dress and A Dance
Chapter 25: Partners
Chapter 26: Shame
Chapter 27: All In a Name
Chapter 28: Sever
Chapter 29: Caught
Chapter 30: Taken
Chapter 31: The Wait
Chapter 32: A Familiar Place
Chapter 33: Second Chances
Chapter 34: Wrong
Chapter 35: Bitter Truths
Chapter 36: Void
Chapter 37: Alone
Chapter 38: Remember
Chapter 39: Holding Hope
Chapter 40: Possibilities
Chapter 41: Shift
Chapter 42: The Little Things
Chapter 43: No Place Like Home
Chapter 44: Paths
Chapter 45: Expectations
Chapter 46: The Journey
Chapter 47: Closer
Chapter 48: Dinner Date
Chapter 49: Lost
Chapter 50: Hearts
Chapter 51: The End

Chapter 20: Dilemma

3.2K 137 3
Door Lyana_S

As soon as the new home was cleaned and prettied, Hannah thought immediately to have Alyssa over. She wouldn't have minded the First Captain along either, though she wasn't sure how to go about inviting them.

She waited until she next saw Rio to ask what he thought, but he turned the idea back on her. "It all depends on you, Hannah. Will you have the time?"

Of course, there was no asking Jono for another day from work, not after she'd just moved. She would just have to wait awhile before asking him again.

"You're all welcome to come over, if you like," she offered the other girls at work one morning.

"No, thank you," Sora yawned.

"I don't mind," Ginia said. "Perhaps with Raul."

All the girls paused, looking at her.

"Raul?" Deedee was the first one to speak up. "Have you ... seen him recently?"

"I have," Ginia answered, smiling shyly.

"Ginia! Why didn't you say anything?"

"We finally met last night. He explained it was work matters, as I thought."

"So all is well between the two of you again?"

"Oh, yes, though he says he's very busy, and probably won't be coming to Jono's again."

"That's a shame. I will miss them."

"And I will miss his money," Jono sighed.

That night, after closing, Hannah walked on ahead of the others, too tired to wait for them. Every time she came home, she hoped to see Rio there, to have someone in the house with her. But no, since the move, he had not come yet.

She lay down in bed, only one candle alight next to her as she fell fast asleep. She had to force herself awake in the morning, throwing water clumsily on her face and dragging on one of Ginia's dresses. It was days like these that she didn't bother wearing something more decent out. She picked up her shawl, trudging out the door. As she made her way downstairs, she heard someone coming up. They met on the second-floor landing, and she squinted to recognize him.

"Captain?" It was Macks.

"Hannah," he said, looking up at her. "Are you off to work?"

She nodded.

"I'm sorry, but I need to speak with you. It's important."

"Is this about Rio?"

"No," he shook his head."Actually, it's a matter of some secrecy. I hope you can help."

She gazed at him, feeling more awake now. She'd never heard him sound so serious. "Alright. But I still have to get to work."

"Let me walk with you. I'll explain on the way."

She joined him, the two slowly going downstairs.

"I wasn't sure at first whether to come to you or not," Macks told her as they emerged outside. "But I spoke to Stefan and he said he thought it was worth a try."

"What was worth a try?"

"It's about a man we at the guard have been trying to hunt down for some time now." He paused, shaking his head. "A real character. Smuggling, thievery, murder – you name it."

"A criminal?"

"A slippery one."

"And what does this have to do with me?"

"We hear he was spotted at Jono's recently."

She blinked. "Jono's?"

"That's right."

Hannah started to feel uneasy. But then again, Jono's had never been a place for wholesome types. "Are we in any danger?"

"I don't want to alarm you, but if he shows up at Jono's again, I do need you to inform us immediately. We need to try and catch him before he leaves Dalen again."

"Who is he?"

"He's a foreigner, likely has some men with him. He uses a number of guises, but most know him as Raul."

All Hannah's bones seemed to turn numb in that moment. "Oh ... oh no."

"What? What is it?"

She stopped to look at him. "That can't be right. It must be a mistake."

Macks stared at her, realization coming into his eyes. "You've seen him."

"He's just a trader. He's no criminal."

"I'm sorry but you're wrong."

"He's in love with one of the waitresses. A good friend of mine."

"Then you can lead us to him?"

"Are you mad? She loves him. They're going to be married. I can't – "

"Hannah, listen to me," he said firmly, standing in front of her. There was none of his usual lightness or humor at this moment; now he spoke only with purpose. "The man is dangerous. You must not believe whatever charms he has shown all of you."

"She's known him for years."

"But how well? Do you know?"

She turned away, growing more and more disturbed by the minute. Meanwhile, Macks untied something from his belt, handing it to her. "Here, take this."

"What is it?"

"Money for a messenger. If he comes to Jono's, you must fetch me at once."

Hannah refused to accept. "You cannot ask me to do this."

"I am not asking."

She blinked, surprised at his tone.

"Please, I'm sorry for having to involve you like this. But we need your help. This is your duty to Dalen."

"My duty? I don't even belong to this city! Why should I listen to you? Why should I care?" She started to leave, but he came after her, grabbing her shoulder.

"You don't know how many cities he's wanted in. The trouble he's caused."

"It's just your word."

"If you don't believe me, then I can have Stefan tell you himself. He'll show you all the reports and statements, and you can very well read through each and every one of them. Does that suit you?"

She shrugged him off, the two staring at each other like enemies.

Macks did a sigh. He took up her palm, cupping her fingers over the bag of coins. "You must trust me."

What about Ginia's trust? Doesn't she matter?

"Perhaps it may not even come to it at all. We have a few other leads. Perhaps one of them may prove lucky."

She faced forward, looking in the direction of Jono's. "I'm going to be late."

"Hannah. Make sure you tell no one. Not your friends at work. And not your brother either."

She kept quiet.

"We will speak again soon." He bowed, then took off, running into the crowds.

Hannah waited until he had gone, then stared down at the bag he'd given her.

How could it be true? All Raul's words, his smiles, his love for Ginia – was it all a lie? Was she capable of sending him into guards' arms? Was she capable of ruining a friend's happiness?

She started moving, her mind whirling as she drew closer and closer to Jono's. Once inside, her eyes swept over to where Ginia stood upturning chairs together with Deedee.

Hannah hid Macks' bag away, going to the other side of the room to start cleaning. With all her thoughts, she kept very quiet that day, struggling through her conscience.

How she longed for her mother, someone to advise her. How dare you, Macks. How dare you leave me such a choice.

When she slept, her dreams shaped pictures around either Raul or Ginia, or both. Sometimes, it showed them embracing lovingly, other times it showed him as a man of evil, a killer and a cheat.

Perhaps Hannah might never see him again. Ginia had said Raul would not be coming back to Jono's. The words in her memory, so innocent then, seemed suspicious now. Had Raul known he was being watched? If he knew he was in danger of being caught, would he try to leave Dalen soon? But what would become of Ginia then?

Perhaps he might take her with him this time. And then what? What would happen to her dear friend once she learned the truth about her lover?

It was several days before Hannah got up enough courage to approach Ginia about her mysterious man. "Do you still see Raul?" she asked her friend early that morning.

Ginia turned to her, nodding. "From time to time."

"Really? But how, when we're always working?"

"Where there's a will, there's a way."

Hannah hesitated, debating whether or not to ask her next question. "So ... where do you usually meet?"

Ginia laughed at that, somehow amused. She leaned over, whispering to Hannah, "That's a secret."

Hannah swallowed, drawing back. Ginia didn't suspect, did she? She kept quiet, watching as Ginia strolled away. Dear Ginia. What should I do? Should I save you or leave you to your happiness?

In her head, she tried to figure out where their meeting place might be. It could be anywhere. There was no way to find out short of spying on her friend.

That night, at closing, Hannah lingered behind the other girls, keeping her eye on Ginia. Everyone chorused a good night, and Hannah started walking, pretending to head home.

Ginia walked in a different direction, north out of the Corona. Hannah waited until she was out of sight, then crossed the street, cutting behind some shops after the girl. This was dangerous, she realized, sneaking around so late. She could get into real trouble if she wasn't careful.

Draping her shawl over her head, she went forward, catching a glimpse of Ginia down Darbin Street. As she watched, the young girl turned off in front, going left instead of forward to where she lived. She was going to meet him, Hannah realized, the thought making her heart quicken. Cautiously, she moved to follow.

A man's voice murmured nearby; she slowed her pace, making sure to walk in the shadows. A figure drifted past, but never saw her, thankfully. Hannah looked forward, seeing a flash of Ginia's dress. Where was she going?

She hurried a bit, pausing at the corner to look. There? That building, with light in some of the windows. It looked like a lodgers' place, much like the home of Mrs. Baines. Ginia was going up the steps, rattling the knocker. Hannah waited, and at length, a woman opened the door, greeting Ginia as if they knew each other. She let the girl in, and the door cracked shut again, reserving all its secrets.

Hannah slumped against the wall, now lost. Perhaps she was wrong. What if Ginia was there for some other reason, and not to meet Raul? It was possible.

She glanced up again at the block, imagining Ginia inside, embracing her lover. It shamed her to be here, to be even thinking of them.

Finally, she turned away, going home. It took her a long time to sleep, despite her tiredness. She felt cold and tense, and she knew this feeling would never go away until she made a decision.

The next morning, she trudged early to work, wishing uselessly she would run into someone on her way there – Rio, Shelby, any of her friends. Of course, she wouldn't have been able to confide in them, but the distraction might have made her feel better.

"Well, well," Jono piped up at the sight of her. "Look at you today, all bright and early."

Hannah looked around. Only two girls were already there, munching early on breakfast.

"Jono," Hannah said, going to stand before him.

"Yes, what is it?"

"May I ... ask you something?"

"Oh? What do you need now?"

"Nothing. I just want your opinion."

"My opinion?" He straightened up, flicking his reedy hair. "Alright. Go ahead then."

"Do you believe a person should always think of the greater good?"

"Oh, absolutely."

"Really?"

"There is no way to do good by everyone, but a good leader is able to see what works best for the most and what's the right thing to do, even if others do not think so. That's because he sees things in their entirety, and not just from their own point of view."

"Oh."

"Anything else?"

"No."

"You're an odd one, Hannah. Always were. Go on then, have some breakfast."

Hannah nodded, going to eat. The other girls' words blurred in her ears, and even when Ginia and the others arrived, she found she couldn't pay attention to anything they said.

She had to get a message to Macks. But how? She couldn't wait until closing, but if she tried to sneak out, someone was sure to notice. Worst of all, Ginia was greeter today. Somehow, Hannah had to find a way past her.

After the lunch crowd, when things had quietened a little bit, Ginia switched places with Sora to come inside and have something quick to eat. Hannah refused the lunch, thinking only of what she had to do, and trotted outside to meet Sora. "I think Jono wants you for something, Sora."

"What is it?"

"I don't know. But you'd better go to him."

Sora huffed, going inside. Immediately, Hannah took off, hoping no one had seen, crossing the Corona to the nearest messenger's post. Breathlessly, she gave them Macks' name and the address to go to. By the time she ran back, Sora was just coming out again.

"What's wrong with your head, Hannah?" the girl complained. She paused, giving Hannah a strange look.

"Sorry," Hannah said, consciously pushing back her hair. "I must have ... misheard."

"Get back inside. We're not going to get any business while you're standing out here, you know."

Mutely, she went past the curtains, getting a questioning look from Jono at the bar. The other girls looked oblivious though, which was a good thing. Hannah stared at Ginia, as if to memorize her happy smile, her innocence.

She turned away, returning to work, her heart now heavy from what she had done.

Ga verder met lezen

Dit interesseert je vast

194K 5.6K 59
COVER BY @CassieLinn After being stuck in an abusive relationship for months, she's saved- but also thrown into an entirely different life. Murderer...
9.6K 372 36
You find yourself once again in the arms of Sebastian Sallow, but with the added complication of your unexpected feelings towards your friend, Ominis...
1.4K 138 17
If the world was a fair place, Harry Potter would never have come across a curious romance novel that seemed to depict the entirety of his past with...
244K 6.2K 14
It's a dangerous thing, to mess with Draco Malfoy. He is a Slytherin. She is a Ravenclaw. They have been thrown into their own defining worlds of cun...