The Demon's Bowl: An Oakmont...

By OscarHinklevitch

[COMPLETE] As Uri watched his parents die, life would never be the same again. Of course, that would be the... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Epilogue
A Special Dedication To My Son

Chapter 16

14 2 0
By OscarHinklevitch

Uri started work on the gold rock that same night, and a second at the same time. The next afternoon, he was waiting at the state park, right where Anne had told him she'd be. He waited in the trees, wearing his normal clothes, rather than his disguise. He had his hair pulled back in his standard ponytail.

"I wasn't sure you'd be here tonight," she said as he stepped out of the trees. He had waited only a few minutes, allowing some other people to leave, before he made his way to her.

"You said to meet every night until I am done. I keep promises," he said, but remembered one he hadn't kept, not very long ago.

"This is how you normally dress," she asked.

"Yes, I make my clothes from the animal skins I get," he explained.

"You kill the animals you eat and get the skins from," she then asked.

"Yes, but Bob kills the larger Grizzly bears that I get fur from," Uri said.

"What kind of food do you eat," Anne asked.

"I eat animals in the forest, and I sometimes use vegetables I grow, and use plants in the forest to make it taste better," he told her.

"Wow, you do pretty good out there," she replied.

"I am happy," he said.

"I know what you told me earlier, about your master giving you instructions to learn, but why do you want to learn about people," she asked.

"They are interesting. I like them," he replied, smiling somewhat wistfully. "Except when they try to hurt me and capture me," he added, sounding angry, although not exceptionally so.

"Do you use that bow to hunt," she asked, looking at his bow.

"Yes. Bob gave me a new one not long ago, and made me learn to use it. He believed I could use a stronger one now, and I made him proud," he said.

"How long does it usually take to get used to a new bow," she asked.

"It depends on what he wants to teach me. He usually tries to teach me new ways to use it when he gives me a new bow. This one took many weeks," Uri explained.

"What will you do about Mia now," she asked, and saw his face darken. "I'm sorry. That's none of my business," she quickly said.

"It is okay. I will probably not see her again. It is dangerous for me to go near her," he said.

"But you like her," she stated.

"Yes," he admitted. "I do."

"If you like her, why not let them catch you and go live with people, so you can see her all the time? They'll send you to school, where she is," Anne suggested.

"I do not think they will keep me here, and they will not let me go to her school, I think," he replied.

"You are very smart," she told him.

"You should probably head back home, before it gets too late," she said, standing up. "Thank you for coming to see me," she added.

"I like you. Why would I not come to see you," he asked.

"I don't know. I was a little surprised, to be honest," she admitted.

"Tomorrow, I will share a meal with you," he suddenly said.

"Okay," she replied, not sure what to make of his sudden invitation. With that, he was gone from view as soon as he entered the trees. She also realized she couldn't hear him moving, which unnerved her a little.

Uri rapidly made his way back to the bowl, where he began collecting the things he'd need for the meal. Bob watched him with curiosity as he went back and forth, the second such observation in as many days.

"Have you decided to bring her here," Bob finally asked. Uri was completely confused for a moment, before getting a comical expression, at least to Bob.

"No master. I am going to share a meal with Anne. She is the one that saved me from the police," Uri explained.

"Ah, so it is a new girlfriend," Bob realized.

"She is too old for me, but she is fascinating," Uri said, explaining it in a way that was much beyond his few years. He only paused for a moment to answer, as Bob continued to ask questions. It was becoming a game to the demon, and he finally couldn't resist the laughter. It erupted from him, very loudly.

Uri stopped dead, looking at Bob with mock indignation. "You played with me," he said.

"And it was a great deal of fun," Bob told him.

"Maybe I will marry Anne," Uri exclaimed.

"I thought she was too old for you, and how would Mia feel about you marrying Anne," Bob asked, taunting him.

Uri's face grew dark, at mention of Mia. "Boy, you need to figure out what you will do with Mia. She vexes you sorely," he said.

"I will forget her," Uri declared.

"But it is not that easy. You like her, and want to see her, thus you are unable to forget her," he said.

"Yes," Uri said, plopping on the ground, dejected.

"Here is an idea for you. Go to the town, the one where she lives and goes to school. Wait for her to walk home, and then walk beside her as she goes home. When she gets there, return to the trees. Should someone come, go into the trees. They will not catch you in the trees, if you do as I taught you," he said.

"You think I should," Uri asked.

"No, I know you should. There is no other way to find out if this infatuation you have with her is worth pursuing, unless you make the effort. Otherwise, I will have to beat you every day until you finally stop thinking of her," he said.

"Okay master, but I promised to meet Anne every day until I am finished with a carving, and I told her I would share a meal tomorrow," Uri told the demon.

"So, do those things. They will not stop you from also seeing Mia, will they," Bob asked.

"I guess not," Uri agreed.

"There is your plan, and now, your task. I want you to spend time with Mia, until you truly decide where she will fit in your life, or if she will not," Bob challenged him.

"Yes, master," Uri agreed, not giving any resistance, as he had been doing lately.

The next day, Uri had a new camp built, and a stew ready to cook. He made a cache in the trees, hopefully far enough out that a bear couldn't get to it. With that done, he hiked the distance to the school. When he got there, something was different. There were no kids, no adults, and as he looked, he realized there were no cars, not even the big yellow ones. It was the period that the kids were not at school.

After waiting awhile, he finally headed back to his camp. It didn't take long to have everything in the pot and cooking. The cooking was what truly took the time. He was worried about the food while he went to get Anne, but there was nothing he could do about it. There was also the idea of leaving a fire unattended, but again, he had little choice. He had made sure there was plenty of clean ground around the fire pit, so hopefully, there was little to no chance of it spreading.

The time finally came, and he left the fire and the food, heading to the hiking trail. Anne was already waiting when he arrived, which was unusual.

"Is something wrong," he asked, as he stepped out of the trees.

"No, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't late. It's been awhile since I've been asked on a date," she said.

Uri didn't understand, and said so, "I do not understand."

She laughed a little, then explained, "I was joking, but a date is when a boy and a girl like each other, they go somewhere to spend time together and get to know each other."

"Then this is a date," Uri declared.

"I don't think I explained that quite right. What I mean is, when a boy and a girl are falling in love," she said.

"You mean courting," he asked.

"Yes, although that word isn't really used anymore. We call it dating now," she told him.

"I am learning," he acknowledged.

"Yes, you are," she said with a smile.

"Follow me, and we will go to my camp," he said, and turned back into the trees.

Although it was difficult, he maintained a relatively slow speed, so she wouldn't get lost. Finally, they crested a ridge and she saw his camp. Uri was greatly relieved that the fire and the meal were as he had left them. Going straight to the fire, he opened the pot and stirred the contents, using a wooden spoon.

"It is ready," he declared, then went and grabbed two bowls, and two spoons. Handing a bowl to her, he filled the other, then swapped bowls. She sat on a log he had placed near the fire ring for that purpose. Once he had his food, he too sat down, but he was on the ground cross legged.

"Will you let me pray," she asked.

"Yes," he agreed. Her prayer was much like the last one, but this time he knew when she was done.

Uri didn't waste time before he began eating. Bob had always been very deliberate teaching him manners, so he knew how to behave properly, and he did.

"This is incredible! What's in it," she asked.

"The meat is deer, and there are potatoes, carrots, celery and onions. The seasoning is whatever I can find in the area that I cook. I usually don't pay close attention, only making sure what I put in is good to eat, and works with what I am making," he answered.

"Where is the rest of the deer," she asked.

"I left it for the predators of the forest to eat," he said.

"Nothing you use goes to waste," she asked, as she continued to eat.

"I usually use everything that can be used, and what I cannot use I leave for other animals to have," he replied, also eating around talking. "I have a question to ask," he started, and paused, clearly nervous.

"What is it," she asked, putting her bowl down, suddenly concerned with his changed demeanor.

"Why are there days that there is no school," he asked.

"There is no school on Saturday and Sunday because we have to have some days off. Why," she asked, and saw the wistful expression on his face.

"You went to her school, didn't you," she asked, with a big grin.

"Yes, but there was no one there. I had learned that there were days that they did not go there, but I do not always know when they are. I do not keep days like people do," he replied.

"I'm proud of you," she told him.

"Bob gave me a new task. He wants me to spend time getting to know her. He told me to walk home with her everyday, and go into the trees whenever anyone comes, or when we get to her home," Uri said.

"But you agreed to do it, right," she asked.

"Yes, I want to," he told her.

"That took guts, Oorri," she said.

"I am not saying my name properly, and I think you should know it. My first sound is not right, and the r does not vibrate, when said correctly," he tried to explain. He looked like he was trying to explain, but didn't really know how, and was frustrated.

"That's an interesting explanation. Let's see," she said, and sat in thought for a few moments. Then she seemed to come to some revelation, "Uri!"

"Yes, that is how it is said," he agreed.

"Is your real name Uriah," she asked, to which he nodded. "Do you know what it means," she then asked.

"Yes, but I do not understand it," he said.

"First, what does it mean," she asked.

"It means the Lord is my light," he said. "But how can any lord be light? Does this lord that the name came from glow at night, like a fire bug," he asked, and she couldn't stop herself from laughing.

"You know how I pray before meals," she asked, and he nodded. From there, she went into a quick explanation of her faith, her beliefs. When she was finally done, Uri asking questions as she went, it was getting dark.

"Unfortunately, I need to go, before it gets too much darker," she said.

"I would like to know more about this lord of yours," Uri said.

"We'll talk more tomorrow, if you can come. I'll try and come a little earlier, so we can talk more. If you're interested, wear one of your disguises and we can go into town and let me share a meal with you. By the way, tomorrow is Sunday, so there won't be school tomorrow either," she told him.

"It is a date, then," he said, his smile giving away the joke. She laughed a moment, then stood up.

"I'm not sure I know which way to go," she admitted.

"I will take you back," he said.

The next day, a couple hours earlier than that day, she was there, and so was he. He was wearing the second outfit Anne had bought. It consisted of a pair of jeans, complete with sparkles, and a very feminine tee shirt, although all of the colors on it were blues and purples. It somewhat matched his hair. Before they drove off, she braided his hair in the same style she had the first time. She seemed to enjoy doing it, so he went along with it.

She took him to Lucy's which he was hesitant to go into, remembering his last time there. She offered encouragement and he finally went in with her. They were seated at a booth, and much to Uri's chagrine, the same waitress came.

"What will it be," she asked.

"Elizabeth," Anne urge.

"I will have the Lucy burger with everything, and tots," he replied. "And a strawberry milkshake," he added, having almost forgotten.

"I'll have the same," Anne said.

They really didn't talk about much during the meal, remaining unusually quiet, considering every time they'd been in each other's company before. However, once they were done, they left the diner and began walking through the town, going to different shops, as whim took them. As they walked, Anne told Uri about God, and Jesus, as she knew him. He regularly asked questions, trying to understand different points. All of his questions were what someone new to God would ask, and even more so, a child his age. Many of his questions, she had to put off, telling him he'd understand as he grew up. Most, though, she was able to give him very good answers. By the time she took him back to the trailhead, he was ready to sleep, and so was she.

"Uri, I have no idea if you believe any of what I've shared with you, but if you ever want to know more, please ask me. I love sharing Him with people, especially kids," she said.

"Is that why you helped me," he asked.

"Kind of, but not completely. I felt drawn to help you for some reason, and the only explanation I know of is that God's Holy Spirit urged me to do it. As for telling you about him, that was just a bonus," she said.

"Could it just be coincidence, and you just being a nice person," he asked, surprising her with the mature nature of the question.

"As a believer in God, I don't believe in coincidence. But if you don't believe in him, then I guess that's as good an explanation as any," she admitted. "Thank you for saying I'm a nice person. Always remember, though, if someone truly follows the teachings of Christ, then they will always try to be a nice person," she said.

"I will see you tomorrow," he said, then ran into the trees.

"Are you girls alright," a voice asked, startling Anne.

"Yes, sir," she replied as she turned around.

"Where is she going? It's a bit late to hike the trail," the park ranger said.

"She told me she's going to catch up with her family. I think they're going to camp out there," Anne said, knowing her explanation wouldn't work, but unable to come up with anything else to say.

"You let a young girl go off by herself in bear country? What were you thinking," he exclaimed. "How old is she," he then asked.

"I think she's nine, sir," Anne replied.

"We've got a young girl, possibly nine, on the Hamilton Mountain trail. Let's get a team up here to make sure she's alright," he said into his radio.

"Young lady, don't ever let a child go off alone in this country. We've had several grizzly sightings lately," he informed her. That news worried her greatly. She knew Uri could take care of himself, but he'd admitted that he couldn't take down a grizzly by himself.

"Oh Lord, please keep her safe," Anne quickly prayed, cringing at the lie in the prayer.

Uri watched as the man approached Anne, worried that he might try and hurt her. He was relieved when the man seemed to get mad with her for letting him go into the woods as he had, and nothing more. Not wanting to let her suffer anymore than he had to, he decide to come out.

"Elizabeth," she called, as soon as she saw him.

"Anne," Uri replied, and ran to Anne, hugging her when he got there.

"It's too dark in there. Do you think your Mom would let me stay at your house tonight," he asked.

"We need to write a report on this, ladies," the ranger said.

"Sir, I'm scared. Can we please go home," Uri asked, trying to act like a little girl, although he had no idea how they really acted. His experience was very limited, but he had seen a girl act very weak, and that was what he decided to do.

The man looked at Uri for a few moments, then at Anne, who only shrugged. "Alright. Don't ever go into those woods alone, even in the day. It's very dangerous in there, okay," he said, kneeling in front of Uri, with a hand on his shoulder.

"I won't, sir," Uri replied, deciding the 'sir' address was what he should use, since he heard Anne address him that way.

"Good girl," he said, and stood back up. Uri and Anne got back in her car, and drove off, just as the ranger realized there was a hole in the story. He also thought the young girl looked very familiar. What he did do, was get the tag number of the car, as they drove off.

"Uri, I assume you don't really want to stay at my house," she said.

"If it will make things easier for you, I will," he said.

"It won't, but thank you," she replied. "The ranger said there have been bear sightings in the area, and you told me you can't kill a full grown grizzly," she said, her worry very clear in her voice.

"Bears will not hunt me," Uri said, his confidence too strong for her liking. It sounded like the confidence of a naive child, which she knew he was.

"You are small, and will be easy prey for them," she said, and Uri actually laughed.

"Bears will stay away from me. I smell bad to them," he said.

"Huh," she said, not understanding his response.

"Bob put his smell on me. His smell scares predators away. The last time I was hunted was by a mountain lion, and he killed it. He put his scent on me after that, and they will not hunt me anymore," Uri tried to explain.

"Who is Bob, and what scent does he put on you that it will keep a bear away, or a mountain lion," she asked.

"Bob is my friend. He teaches me, and takes care of me. I do not know why his scent keeps them away, but it scares them," Uri told her.

"Uri, I know you believe that, but I can't, and I can't let you run off into the woods alone, with bears out there. I'd never forgive myself if something happened to you," she said, and he could feel the worry inside her.

"I do not know what to do, then," he said.

"Do you have any friends that would let you stay with them," she asked.

"The only friends I have are Bob, you and Mia. Deputy Landers, or Deputy Faulk, would let me stay with them but if I go to them, they will not let me go again, and I do not think I will be able to escape again. But Bob told me that if they see me with my hair like this the disguise will never work again," he said.

"I hadn't thought about that," she agreed. "So what do we do," she then asked.

"Let me go home, but at a different place," Uri suggested. "I promise you, the bears will not try to hurt me," he assured her.

"But...," she began, but Uri stopped her.

"Take me to the bridge. It is as close to my home as here, and there are no bear reports there. I think the bears are here because of the meat I left for them," he said, somewhat chagrined at having caused the problem.

"You might be right, but I'll still worry," she told him.

"I have been in these woods my whole life. I know how to go places without the bears or cats bothering me. I promise you, Anne, I will be safe," he tried to assure her. This time it worked.

"Okay," she finally conceded.

"I will have to change my clothes before I go, though. I cannot climb down the rock like this," he said.

"What," Anne burst out.

"I must climb down to the river, to get to where I go back up to get home," he explained, not understanding her outburst.

"That...," she began, stammering to say something.

"I have done it many times," he said, again trying to assure her.

"Uri, you need to come out of the woods, and live a normal life, one that doesn't give me high blood pressure worrying about you," she said. "If I had any other option, I wouldn't do this," she then said, glancing at him with a serious and stern expression.

Without any further discussion, Uri hopped into the back seat and began changing clothes. He didn't think anything of Anne being in the front of the car as he stripped completely to return to his clothes. Once done, he neatly folded the clothes for the disguise and put them in his pack. Done with that, he hopped back into the front seat.

"You aren't supposed to be without a seatbelt," she jokingly scolded him.

"I am not sure I could change with it on, and sitting in this seat. I think you would be uncomfortable with me changing here, anyway," he said. She chuckled a little at that, unable to stop herself.

"You're probably right about that," she agreed.

When they got to the road for the bridge, she pulled off into a pullout. Uri got out and grabbed his stuff, placing everything for the best way to carry it, especially as he was going to be climbing the rock face in a moment.

"You be careful, and I'll see you tomorrow," she told him, and grabbed him into a hug. There was the typical boyish resistance for a moment, but he finally gave into it.

"I will be careful, and I will see you tomorrow," he promised, when she finally released him.

She watched him jump to the rock face and start moving down much more rapidly than she thought prudent. She cringed, as he dropped a couple of times, seeming to do it deliberately, to get a better spot. Finally, she realized he was accurate in his claim to have no problem climbing down, and she got back in her car. She couldn't watch any longer.

It wasn't very far from where Anne let Uri out that she was pulled over, the blue and red strobe lights glaring behind her. There was also a spotlight shining in her back window, further blinding her. Knowing the proper rules for being pulled over, she lowered her window and placed her hands high on the steering wheel, then waited.

"Would you hand me your license, registration and proof of insurance, please," the officer asked.

"Yes, sir," she replied, and retrieved what he'd asked for.

"Ms. Hawthorne, I pulled you over because there was a report that you might have seen a child that we are searching for. He is approximately nine years old, long blonde hair and blue eyes. He has been known to disguise himself in girl's clothing, but most often he is seen wearing fur for clothing. It is not uncommon for him to have a spear, and there are some reports of him having a bow," the officer said.

Before she could try and deny it, he continued, "The report we received said you had a young girl with you, about that age, with long blonde hair. The report did not have eye color, as it was a little too dark, but the officer stated that the child that was with you fit the description, and looked like the picture that is posted," he said.

"The girl that was with me is a friend, who I'm trying to lead to the Lord. Her name is Elizabeth and she's from The Netherlands. I dropped her off not that long ago, and I'm heading home. We've been seen in the ice cream shop by a deputy not that long ago, but I don't know the deputy's name," she told him. "His daughter was with him, and she got really upset, while we were there," she suddenly blurted out.

"That would likely be Deputy Faulk, and Mia," he said.

"I think that was her name," Anne said, trying to recall.

"Where did you drop your friend, Elizabeth, off," he asked.

She was suddenly in trouble, and she knew it. In a moment of sudden insight, she said, "The little church back up the road. She said she's been staying there."

"If there's any more questions, can I get a phone number so we can find you," he asked. When he handed her a pad and pen, she wrote her home phone number on it, without really thinking about it. "Well, I guess that's it for tonight. Thank you, and be careful out there," he said, handing her stuff back.

"Good night, officer," she said, and started rolling her window up. Once she was done, she carefully pulled out and made her way home. She knew her meetings with Uri might be coming to an end. They were in danger of being caught, but she had to be there, at least one more time.

Once she had driven off, the deputy went to the church she claimed to have dropped Uri off at. As he pulled into the parking lot, it was fairly clear no one was there, but he got out and looked around the grounds.

Getting back into his car, he radioed in, "I think we have a new sighting. He's been seen with a teenage girl, Anna Claire Hawthorne. Claims she was seen at the ice cream parlor in North Bonneville by Faulk and Mia. Over," he said.

"Roger that. We did see a girl named Anne with a blonde girl named Elizabeth, supposedly from The Netherlands. I believed it was the boy, but was convinced it was not. Over," came Faulk's reply.

A short while later, Baker was sitting in the Sheriff's office, along with the Sheriff, Landers, Faulk and Logan. It was time for them to compare notes.

"Anna Hawthorne said she dropped the girl off, claiming her name was Elizabeth, and she was simply sharing the gospel with her. I searched the church grounds, but there was no one there. Either she is unaware of who she is with, or she is helping to conceal him," Baker said.

"I think she's aware, if it really is him," Faulk said, considering the older girl's reaction at the ice cream parlor. The more he thought about it, the more he realized it was likely. Further, it made sense. This girl could have helped the boy perfect his disguise.

"We don't know for sure, though. Remember, innocent until proven guilty," the Sheriff said, a smile on his face.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

110M 3.4M 115
The Bad Boy and The Tomboy is now published as a Wattpad Book! As a Wattpad reader, you can access both the Original Edition and Books Edition upon p...