Four Girls, One Problem

By WritingMelody

At the start of a new school year for four girls in the big city of New York, an assignment is given to them... More

Characters
Raine
Angel
Kourtney
Shianne
Angel's Idea
Kourtney's Feelings
Shianne's Discovery
Raine's Admierer
Angel's Bruise
Kourtney's Needed Therapy
Shianne's Disappointment

Raine Again

37 1 1
By WritingMelody

I walked in my house and shut the door quietly. Angel's mom had given me a ride home and it was pretty late. No lights were on. Either my parents were sleeping, or watching TV in their room. They knew about me going over to Kourtney's, Shianne's, and Angel's place for the assignment. And so did William.

I pulled my phone from my pocket and unlocked it long enough to get to my room. I can't see in the dark. I opened my door and turned on my light. The weekend was close. I dreaded every day of it. William was at his worst on the weekends. Three full days I stayed home. And usually, Mom and Dad left on the weekends. So you could imagine how, oh so fun my weekends were.

I never told my parents that William hurt me. One, they wouldn't believe me. And if they did, William would go balistic and make things worse than they already were. I grabbed clothes and went to the shower. I played music on my phone and made the shower quick. When I went back in my room, William was on my bed, looking around my room.

"Hey, sissy," he smiled and stood.

"What are you doing in here? You can't spare me for one night?" I asked.

He shrugged. "I would, but that'd be unlike me."

I sighed. "Make it quick."

He punched the side of my head, making me fall to the floor. Then he threw me on my bed. This was unlike him. I kicked weakly. I wasn't exactly trying, but William said it'd be longer if I didn't fight back. He never talked while he hit and kicked me. I guess he just found pleasure in seeing me getting hit. Lately, the abuse has been worse. Longer. Tomorrow was Friday and I was not looking foward to it.

William looked in my eyes and smirked. "I hope you like surprises, Raine. Because you're getting a huge one tomorrow."

He then left. I rolled on my stomach, put my face in my pillow, and screamed. I was so tired of this. I looked over at my phone. I could call the cops. Have him sent to jail. End this. But at the same time, I couldn't. My parents would say that I was being ridiculous. That there was no way that their only son could be abusive to his only little sister.

I could call my older sister, though.

Savanna. [AN: Savanna Marie Underwood, blonde hair, brown eyes, five foot nine, same parents as Raine and William, 21, born January 9th, 1991, oldest sister]

She'd believe me. Maybe. That was a 50-50 shot right there. Savanna was currently engaged. Or, so her Facebook status said. I had no idea to who. I guess her fiancee didn't have Facebook. More on that later. I sighed. I grabbed my phone and sent her a text.

Are you up?

I didn't expect her to reply. It was nearly midnight now. But when my phone buzzed, I was shocked. Savanna had texted back.

Yea. R u ok? Its late.

I was semi-happy. She was a good sister. Always concerned for others. I typed: No. William abuses me. I haven't told anyone. Mom and Dad probably won't believe me. I don't want to tell my friends. I need help. Please come home.

Of course I didn't send it. I just stared at it, wanting to hit send. But I erased it all and texted: Yeah, I'm fine. I just miss you.

She texted: Aw, I miss u 2! How bout I come home 4 a week?? I could introduce u guys 2 Cody. He's so sweet!! He has dark brown hair, green eyes, he's six foot two, 23, his parents are surgeons, and his bday is the same as Dad's. He's an only child. You guys will love him!

I smiled. Dad's birthday is July 21st. I texted back: That'd be great. Get here asap.

I fell asleep then.

***

I woke up, due to sunlight streaming in. I rolled off the bed and curled onto the floor. I curled into a ball on and closed my eyes tighter. I wasn't ready to face Friday--and the two days that followed. I finally got up and checked my phone. Savnna had just sent a smiley face at 12:01am. I didn't realize I'd stayed up that late.

I got ready and went downstairs. I chugged soome water, ate a Pop Tart, and walked to school. I walked in video class and everyone was in their groups. I sat and watched the video we made last night with Kourtney and Shianne. It was actually pretty funny, but I couldn't bring myself to laugh at it. Shianne kept staring at me--like she could see through me.

"Can I help you?" I asked her.

She shook her head. "What happened? You're face is all bruised."

"Oh, it is?" I asked. I hadn't looked in the mirror. "I must've fell."

I remembered William punching my face, and knocking me to the floor.

"I don't buy it," Shianne shook her head.

Angel and Kourtney looked at me and Angel, went pale. "Either that was some fall, or you're lying," she said.

"Is it really that bad?" I asked, placing a hand on my face.

"Haven't you looked in the mirror today?" Kourtney asked, handing me a mini mirror.

I took it and looked at William's work. I had dried blood on my right cheek, two consecutive bruises on the side of my head, a bruise under my left eye, and a little more dried blood where my forehead and nose met. I handed the mini mirror back to Kourtney and half-smiled. "I didn't think it was that bad."

"What happened?" she asked.

I sighed. "I fell down the stairs."

The bell rang and I stood.

"Hey, we're filming at your place tonight, remember?" Angel said.

"Right," I snapped my fingers with a fake smile. "Hey! Why not stay over the whole weekend?"

They looked at each other and nodded. "Sounds like fun," Shianne said.

"Great," I really smiled and walked out.

****

After final bell, I texted Mom to see if Shianne, Kourtney, and Angel could stay the weekend. She said she didn't care and she was happy that I was making friends. I got a text from Savanna saying:

Cody n I r coming down there rite now. :D It'll be a cool surprize 4 Mom n Dad. :) They'll finally meet him and I miss u and Willy!! See ya in a cuple of hrs. Xoxo!

I smiled and texted: I'm gonna have some friends over for the weekend, so I hope you don't mind. Lol. I miss you too. :D See you soon.

Course I don't mind!! I would LOOVVVEEEEE to meet your frendz!! :D

I laughed and walked home. I straightened up my room and threw my backpack in the corner. I went back downstairs and watched Mom fittle around in the kitchen. No conversation was made, but I just sat there. Dad and William came strolling in a little while later. Then five minutes after they walked in, Angel, Kourtney, and Shianne walked in.

Angel flipped open the video camera.

"Okay, so this is my brother, William," I pointed to William, "and my parents," I pointed to the kitchen.

"Nice place," Shianne nodded.

"Hi, girls!" Mom smiled at them and looked at the camera. "Why are we filming?"

"We have to film some of Raine's life. We've all been filmed," Angel explained.

"Remember, Mom? That's why I haven't been home on regular time?" I laughed, reminding her.

"Oh, the project! I completely forgot!" she hit her forehead, laughing and went to the kitchen again.

"Let's go to my room," I said pointing upstairs.

I opened my door and they set their bags down.

"Sorry, my mom can be an airhead," I faced them.

"Oh, it's fine," Angel said.

"Almost forgot, my sister, Savanna is coming down with her fiancee, but I'm the only one who knows. Okay?" I looked at them.

They nodded and we sat down on the floor.

"When is she getting here?" Shianne asked.

"Within, like, an hour, I think. She left when school ended," I said.

"So answer a few of these questions," Kourtney said, picking up the paper.

Before she could ask, I said, "I'm fine with my life, I have both of my parents--as you can plainly see, if I could change one thing about myself... It'd probably be the fact I'm quiet. Let's see, what else is there..."

I looked at the sheet and wrote some of the answers on there. When I finished, I smiled and handed them the sheet. "No more questions."

My phone buzzed and it was a text from Savanna.

We r here. Come open the door so we can surpize Mom and Dad and Willy! :D

K.

I put my phone in my pocket and smiled into the camera. "My sister and her fiancee are here. Let's go."

They followed me downstairs and we snuck in the front yard. I met Savanna and Cody in the driveway and hugged them. I explained everything to Savanna and we walked inside.

"Mom! Dad! William!" I called, as I shut the front door.

They walked into the living room and nearly ran me over to get to Savanna. She introduced Cody and they exchanged greetings and whatnot. I introduced Savanna and Cody to Angel, Kourtney, and Shianne, and we all sat in the living room floor. I looked at Angel and she kept recording. I didn't know if she should, though. I mean, this was the first time in a while, I'd seen my sister and I wasn't sure if I wanted it videoed.

Savanna was talking about how college was amazing and how Cody was still in college to become a surgeon, like his parents. Cody seemed nice. I expected him to be this untrustworthy creeper that everyone was oblivious to. But he actually seemed decent. After all of the introductions and biographies were shared, attention was thrown my way.

"So, what's with the video camera?" Savanna finally asked.

"Um, school project," I shrugged.

"Ah, I see," Savanna giggled.

"So, Savanna, what made you wanna come?" Mom asked.

I gave her a look and Savanna looked at Mom. "I missed you guys and thought y'all should meet Cody."

That was part of the truth.

"We've missed you, too," Dad smiled.

"You're quiet," Shianne said.

Everyone looked at her and she shrugged. "He is."

"Me?" Cody pointed at himself.

Shianne nodded.

Cody shrugged. "I just want to get to know everyone. Plus, Savanna already told my life story, so." He laughed and wrapped his arm around her. "Who're you three?"

"I'm Kourtney, that's Shianne, and this is Angel," Kourtney said.

And this is awkward,

I thought to myself.

"Hi," he nodded.

"I'm tired," William stood. "If you hurt Savanna, I'll kill you."

Cody nodded. As William, exited the room, he rubbed my shoulder casually and went up the stairs. It grew dark outside and everyone went to sleep. Angel, Kourtney, Shianne, and I went to my room to find William there. I sighed and faced them. "This is normal. Just step outside for a couple of minutes, or turn this thing off."

Angel shut the camera and set it by her bag.

"You girls might wanna leave, too," William said.

"Why?" Angel crossed her arms.

"Because this is a family thing," he said.

"Don't leave," I whispered to them.

"It'll only take a moment," William smiled.

He pushed them out my room and locked the door. He pushed me on my bed and hit my face.

"You invite your little buddies over, when you know things are going to be different between us now?!" I sneered.

"I--"

"I don't wanna hear it!" he punched me again.

He went for my jeans and I back up. "What the hell?!"

"Surprise," he chuckled.

"No, this is just sick now," I kicked between his legs and he gripped my throat.

"Help!" I choked.

I looked over at the doorknob as it rattled. It swung open and they helped me get William out. I coughed for air and tried to regain my breath. What was wrong with him? Was he high on something? What brother does that? Or attempts it, anyway.

"Are you okay?" Angel sat next to me.

"He abuses you every night?" Shianne asked.

I looked at them. "Don't worry about it. I'm fine."

"Raine, you're, like, bruised worse than you were," Kourtney said.

I sighed and looked down. "You can't say anything."

It was silent. I knew William would do this. He caused problems--it was his specailty.

Continue Reading