The Verdant Prince

By Geeks4Squeaks

Asgard- home of the beautiful. Home of the gods and goddesses of the Norse Tales. Buildings built in gold and... More

Chapter 1: Beginnings
Chapter 2: The Ass of Asgard
Chapter 3: Wealthy Poors
Chapter 4: Broken Sticks
Chapter 5: Our Final Feast
Chapter 6: 5 Years Too Long
Chapter 7: Useful Tools
Chapter 8: Broken Tools
Chapter 9: Somber Dancing
Chapter 10: Falling Boats
Chapter 11: Vomiting Vanguards
Chapter 12: Guttural Words
Chapter 13: The Eddas
Chapter 14: The Snapping of Bones
Chapter 15: Handsama
Chapter 16: Hide and Seek
Chapter 17: Wreak Havoc
Chapter 18: Escape from the Fires
Chapter 20: The Striking of Deals
Chapter 21: Equals
Chapter 22: Let Go
Chapter 23: Last Night of Innocence
Chapter 24: Burning Bridges
Chapter 25: A Warrior's Tears
Chapter 26: Lively Nightmares
Chapter 27: Disorientation and Direction
Chapter 28: Rainy Thoughts
Chapter 29: The Tunnel System
Chapter 30: Conformation
Chapter 31: The Perfect Distraction
Chapter 32: Burst Bottles
Chapter 33: Sweet, Sweet Revenge
Chapter 34: To Hel With Pity
A Thank You
Update/Help
Sneak Peek

Chapter 19: Refugees

5.3K 245 105
By Geeks4Squeaks

I did not sleep the rest of the hour we had left to sleep. Instead, I stood and began stretching. Nothing better than a good old stretch to get myself warmed up through this. I packed my bag back up, brushing my hand against the cold metal and pendant from the necklace that Uthgard had given me. I sighed and pushed it back down into the bottom of the knapsack.

I stripped Bjorn of his saddle quickly, brushing away dandruff from his hide- anything to do to keep me awake and away from my dark nightmares.

It wasn't long before the watch awoke Orgnar, and Orgnar woke the rest of us. He would come around, kicking gently at our feet, sending the warriors straight up in their bedrolls. Slowly, the makeshift camp rose to life, packing their things tightly to their steeds, and nibbling on whatever they had left available for food. Each warrior wore a weary face as they carried on their tasks.

Thor joined Orgnar at his side, mounting his horse and speaking quietly to each other. Loki slid in next to them on Oldavi, a mildly disturbed expression on his face.

He would not look at me.

"Morning," Asmund muttered quietly, yawing and drawing Az closer to me and Bjorn

"Morning," I mumbled back. Asmund paused, and I busied myself with Bjorn so Asmund would not catch onto my troubled mind. He was clever though, quick to catch things out of place or unusual in others.

"What bothers you?" Asmund asked lowly, copying my busied movements of brushing our horses.

"What doesn't bother me, Asmund?" I replied both to him and myself.

"Did Loki-" Asmund began.

"No," I whispered. Asmund stopped and turned to me. He glanced to the side, to Loki who was probability sitting on his high horse, literally, his chin raised and a cocky glare in his eyes. Asmund wasn't even sure if he believed Loki had not done anything.

"What did you do?" Asmund pressed.

"There is something inside of me," I said lowly, worry ebbing at my words. "Something dark." My mind flashed to each nightmare I had, and suddenly in my thoughts came myself. The me who wanted more, the me I saw in my nightmares. She smiled at me, her head lowering and suddenly she was gone.

"We should tell Orgnar, then Loki. Loki... Loki is a powerful sorcerer," Asmund said as if it hurt him to say it. "Maybe he knows what to do."

"No. I do not wish to tell them anything. I should not have told you anything," I mumbled. Asmund rested his palm on my shoulder and turned me to the side.

"Don't tell me that. I am glad you told me. You never know what darkness could be inside you. Jotuns are known for their mind manipulation in these parts. Dark magic. Perhaps in captivity, they did something. Or perhaps a curse laid upon you-" Asmund said quickly, his mind racing to find all of the possibilities.

"It's me," I said. "It's what, deep inside, I truly want to do. To do to them."

Asmund's brows furrowed, and his amber orange eyes seemed to cloud, a new concern in them.

"Mount, and ride carefully," Orgnar instructed loudly. I turned away from Asmund and mounted Bjorn. I kicked his sides, turning sharply away from Asmund. And my own realization.

----------------------------

Asmund rode close to me most of the way, our ankles almost touching. I wanted to slap him, to tell him to leave me be, that I would not suddenly fall like a broken little girl. Loki, on the other hand, did quite the opposite. Loki kept his distance, always to the left of Orgnar, forming a small triangle with the trio of leaders. I felt bad, horrible even, but at the same time angry.

How was I supposed to know how to not share my demons with others? His own 'advice' was dull and blunt. He did not help whatsoever. I grunted and kicked at Bjorn's sides to catch up with the group.

It wasn't even a full hour before the forest began clearing and an open plain and several grain fields came across our path. We halted as Orgnar held his fist up, signalling for us to stop and stay silent. Scattered to the left of the field were several huts and structures. They all had thatched roofs that hung low and were badly patched. The small village seemed vacant, no dogs barking, no children playing, there wasn't even smoke rising from the huts indicating people were home. It was simply empty- it appeared to be vacant in every way.

His sharp eagle-like eyes scanned the horizon, and he flicked his fingers forward, looking to the two foot soldiers. The duo lead three empty horses forward, the clomping of their hooves the only sound amongst us.

Orgnar slapped their rears one by one, sending them whining and galloping forward into the open plain. We watched as the ran through the field, waiting for anything to jump out and snatch them, but nothing. The horses slowed when they were far enough out and before long they began grazing as if nothing had happened. The air seemed thick and unusual. Orgnar urged his chestnut steed forward slowly, caution on his every step. We followed quietly, our every move careful and thought out as we silently rode through the empty, vast village. There was bound to be supplies and more to be raided from the Frost Giant's village. Their wheat could be stored and eaten for both beast and warrior. It wouldn't be great, but it would have to do.

The horse's hooves left imprints on the loose dirt which one of the foot soldiers dragged a leaf to disperse. Orgnar held his fist up again and we stopped. In one of the huts a dish fell, it's eerie crack echoing in the supposed empty area. Orgnar slid off of his horse, motioning Lady Sif and Volstagg towards him, leaving the seven of us soldiers behind, our weapons drawn already.

Orgnar sidestepped slowly, prodding the hut door open. It creaked and swung open. Orgnar and Sif disappeared into the dark hut, Volstagg guarding the exterior. Suddenly, grunts and a faint shriek echoed through the village and out came Orgnar, gripping a young Jotun by the collar of his ragged tan tunic. Orgnar dropped the young boy and he quickly held his hands up in fear. Suddenly several Jotuns rushed out of huts, all of them as ragged and scrawny as the young Jotun boy cowering under Orgnar and Sif. We all raised our weapons further, creating a shield circle in case of ambush. This place was supposed to be empty.

"Wait!" A silky voice pleaded. An older Jotun stepped out from the small crowd of Jotuns, her hands raised in defense. Her accent was thick with Jotun language, but she knew her words and actions well regarding us. "We mean no harm!" The group of Jotuns that had rushed out of the village were all gaunt, all dark braided hair with few bronze hooks and piercings on their noses and ears. Almost all of them were women, aside from the young boy Orgnar had below him and the possible others in a few of the Jotun women's arms.

"Hynola!" The boy cried struggling to back up from Orgnar. Orgnar held his mace steady to his chest though, preventing the boy from moving further. The woman who had spoken, Hynola, looking at him pleadingly.

We all whipped our heads to the Jotun that had spoken, already scanning the rest of the crowd for intimate threats. None carried any weapons, only children or hole-filled clothing in their arms. Each of their faces held both fear and sadness.

"How do you speak our language so well?" Loki hissed, his own rounded blades pointed towards them and his snake-like eyes narrowed.

"Only a few of us know. It was required," she explained quickly, moving ever so closer to Orgnar and the boy. Volstagg raised his hefty ax to her throat and she instantly stopped moving forward. You could almost see her gulping and shaking where she stood.

"Where are your weapons?" Thor asked loudly, Orgnar flicked his eyes to her waist, also searching for any possible weapons.

"We do not carry nor make any. That is not our village's job," she answered, her hands still raised. "Now please, release the boy and I will be willing to exchange further words with you. Peacefully," she urged, her deep navy eyes flickering between Orgnar and the Jotun boy.

"Why should we trust your kind?" Orgnar spat. "Everyone in Jotunheim is trying to slaughter us or sell us out for their own amusement."

"You have invaded our home," Hynola said, her own anger and fierceness shining through. The quick outburst of anger was cut off though, for Volstagg brought the blade closer to her throat, making the crowd behind them gasp and whine.

"And you have invaded ours," Orgnar shouted, Sif looked bitterly to them. The Jotun woman's face changed to that of confusion. Her nose scrunched up and her jagged Jotun teeth shown. The Jotun crowd behind them looked at each other confused as well, their pale eyes flickering amongst each other in incertitude.

"What are you speaking of?" she asked, her brows furrowing further. Quickly we exchanged glances with each other. Either she was lying and playing fool, or she and the others truly did not know what had happened in the last month. The next few moments were silent as we awaited Orgnar's orders. Orgnar exhaled and withdrew his mace from the boy's chest, Volstagg followed suit, removing his large ax from her throat. The woman opened her arms and the boy rushed forward, falling into them gratefully. He began muttering things rapidly, none of which we could understand. The woman whispered something in his pointed ears and he ran behind her to another woman. The Jotun stood tall now, almost a half a foot taller than most of the warriors.

"Now, what invasion are you speaking so bitterly of?" Hynola hissed.

________________

The group of us explained what had happened in Asgard that fateful day, each detail sending Hynola's face into a more and more disturbed, twisted expression. We were still tense, unsure of what she could throw at us so quickly. However, she had invited us into her own hut, sent her maidens to fetch water for us and started a small fire to keep us warm.

"What did they look like? The barbarians?" Hynola asked, leaning forward on her knees. I swirled the water around in the clay cup, inspecting it before taking a sip. Thor kept gently flicking the liquid in the cup as it was denser than water and ale. He shook it once more before setting it down beside him, not daring to take a sip.

"Inbred. Foaming mouths, wild red blood filled eyes. Crude armor," Orgnar explained. "Do you know of them?"

Hynola's brows furrowed and she bit her blue lip. "Possibly. We have gotten word that a new tribe was beginning to form or at least a new alliance. Three of the most powerful war tribes have joined together. We know them as the Helvete in our language." She spoke as if the words themselves were painful and or forbidden.

"How come you did not know about the invasion? When we sent Jotunheim a message, there was no response. A common signal for War," Orgnar hissed. Hynola shook her head quickly, meeting our curious eyes one by one.

"This is the first news to us. We only heard rumors of a silent invasion from Asgard towards us. We were only told to ready ourselves and turn you in... or else," Hynola said.

"Or else what?" Sif pressed. Hynola glanced up at her, worry apparent in her shimmering eyes.

"We must slaughter you on sight." Hynola said quietly. As a group, we froze, out weapons gripped tightly in our hands. The few moments were silent as we waited for the attack, any attack against us.

"Why haven't you?" I asked, the silence breaking. Hynola pursed her lips and shrugged.

"Why haven't you killed us if that is what you were sent here to do?" She asked back softly. "Only the stars will ever know." She sighed. Suddenly, a young Jotun girl rushed in, a ragged doll in her hands and her dark braids flopping about.

"Hynola, skurkene!" She hissed, fear in her pale grey eyes. Hynola jumped up from her feet as did we, Sif's blade already near Hynola's knee.

"What does that mean?" Thor boomed and Hynola hushed him quickly. Orgnar turned and hissed something under his breath.

"The horses," Orgnar said softly, rubbing his tattooed forehead.

"Warriors from another tribe. They have come here," Hynola said turning about quickly in the crowded hut. "They must not see you here. If they do they will not only kill you, but everyone in this village!" She hissed. "Tali, hide them," she commanded to one of her maidens. Tali bowed quickly and ushered us out the back beaded doorway. The cool chilling air sent shivers down my spine and I could hear the clomping and grunting of the brute Jotun warriors. They were shouting and shrieking in their own crude words. How they caught up so quickly to us was beyond wonder to me.

Tali led us into another hut quickly, looking around before kicking the rug o the dusty floor over. Underneath the red woven rug was a wooden hatch. Tali lifted it quickly and gestured for us to climb down the ricked wooden ladder. Orgnar jumped down, not once touching the dust filled ladder. Next was Thor who followed suit, tossing Mjolnir in his hands.

"Why do we not stand and fight?" hissed Thor, eager to fight as always. Orgnar looked at Thor, his brows furrowed deeply as he shook his head.

"We don't know how many are out there and it could possibly kill more than wanted," Orgnar said back. The warriors continued to jump down the compact hole. "It would be best to stay hidden for now."

"We can handle them," Thor said, leaning towards Orgnar distastefully.

"But the villagers can't," Orgnar shot back quietly as he was squished against the damp basement wall. Asmund jumped down, tightly pressed against Lady Sif he smirked slightly and winked at me. I could only shake my head as Loki hopped in next, leaving me and the two foot soldiers next.

"Who cares about them! They did not care about our own villagers when they raided our home," Heskell said bitterly against Volstagg who sighed and rolled his eyes.

"Hush. End of discussion," Orgnar said sharply as Tali waved her hands quickly. The two foot soldiers jumped in and only one spot was left for me.

"Tali!" a very angry man shouted from outside the hut. Tali flinched and her pale blue knees shook as she glanced at me, a new fear in her eyes. She hurried off and out the door quickly. Asmund and Sif were gesturing for me to come forward but we all froze.

Quiet footsteps pattered against the stone floor just outside of the hut. I drew my weapons, quickly hiding behind the wooden shelf to the side of the door. Just in time, too, as a deep blue Jotun stepped in quietly, his own crude, chipped weapon drawn as he looked around. His eyes immediately snapped to the open door in the floor and he raised his weapon. Taking my chance I bounded forward, using my muscular arms to latch tightly around his neck. The Jotun staggered back in surprise and I jumped up, hooking my legs around his waist.

"Gah!" The Jotun spat out. I clamped my arms tighter around his throat, hoping to prevent him from calling out. The Jotun whipped his head backward, hitting my nose and mouth. I groaned, feeling a familiar tingling in my face. Blood had already begun to pour out of my nose and lower lip. I loosened my grip just enough and lodged my dagger into his throat. The Jotun sputtered out wispy gasps and breaths as he turned and staggered, falling towards the gaping hole in the floor. I quickly let go of the Jotun and he crumpled to the floor, his top half dipped into the hole. Asmund's curious and worried head poked up from the hole.

"What the Hel was that for?" Asmund hissed. "Get in here," he said quickly, not wanting to hear my smartass comment that would surely follow. I pushed the Jotun warrior into the hole, he landed with a heavy thud against one of the foot soldiers. He was already gagging and attempting to support the Jotun's uneven weight. I lowered myself on the ladder and set the rug on the trap door. I then pulled the trap door over us and the room went dark, fast. I could only pray that the rug also covered what blood was left up there from our battle.

I hopped down onto the dirt flooring and we were silent, waiting for something, anything to happen. We were all squished uncomfortably close to each other, I, however, was gently pressed up against the Dark Prince's back. I could only hope my bloody nose would not get on his verdant green armor.

------------------------------------

Hey, so I actually got the ambition to draw an example of how the reader's armor could look? I followed the white/silver and gold color scheme and slapped it on there. I also wanted to stick to the Asgardian sort of style?? It took about an hour or two but I am kind of hella proud of it. SO if you needed a better visual of the reader's armor- here you go!

https://geeks4squeaks.deviantart.com/art/Verdant-Prince-Armor-Colored-and-Shaded-751214744

PS: I have no idea why there is a little gray line running through the armor it's just kind of.. there. If anyone else would like to draw your idea of any of the armors, feel free to! Just put a link in the comments and I will post it in my next chapter. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.5K 112 13
Nimue, Frost Giant Loki, Asgardian Prince Both met each other when he came to Jotunheim with his brother and the warriors three, plus Sif Will Loki h...
447K 18.7K 66
{SET BEFORE THE EVENTS OF 'THOR'} - "Did you know," she said, sitting on the ground and turning to the prince, "that Midgard has an entire language d...
43.3K 1.6K 11
LOKI X READER - A SLOW-BURN ROMANCE & DARK FANTASY CHARACTER-DRIVEN STORY - COMPLETED You and your family are unexpectedly invited to a celebratory f...
70.4K 1.5K 19
ABUSE, VIOLENCE, TORTURE, GORE, SA(R too), DV tbh Honestly, I don't recommend this book to people, but people like it and think I should keep it. So...