The Counterbalance Project

By Emaris97

In the year 30XX, the world developed the Counterbalancing Program, a sophisticated program for the rich, exe... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
A/N
Chapter 8
A/N

Chapter 9

3.2K 195 38
By Emaris97

Chapter 9

Okay, I am so sorry for the delay. I got into a small accident which left my arm dislocated. I always thought my left arm was slightly useless and I could do things just fine with my right, but as it turns out, typing is not one of them. So I am writing this thing picking out one letter at a time. I hope you guys enjoy this. And there may be a lot of mistakes as I didn't have the patience to go through it more than once.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Zhang Wei locked his eyes with the man who was swinging the gun around. His eyes were feverish and were swinging around wildly. He seemed to understand that he was being set up.

Song stood with her eyes wide and locked on the man. He finally trained his gun at Zhang Wei.

It was not the first time Zhang had to face down a gun. But this was the gun that murdered the original Zhang.

This was the fate of the cannon fodder.

He closed his eyes.

The gun fired.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 Week Earlier

"Would you request Mr Tan Liu to have a drink with me?"

Zhang Wei looked at Heng. "You know Tan Liu?"

Heng looked at him and smirked. "There's not many people I don't know, Wei. While I don't deal with him personally, we have had deals before."

"You do realise that I am a cop, right? That admitting you have any deals with a confirmed mob boss gives me enough grounds to cuff you?" Zhang asked, smirking.

Heng smiled widely at him before replying. "Ah, but I would love to be handcuffed to you, my dear. And while I am sure that being handcuffed to a bed would be a lot more interesting, I don't mind exploring any other kinks you may have."

Zhang leaned closer to the man and smirked. "Well, Mr Heng", he leaned close, his lips skimming Heng's lips. "Let's see how things go, shall we?"

Both of them looked at each other with lust clouding over their eyes. The room seemed to heat up around them and Heng could see Zhang's eyes misting up and could feel his control slip.

A knock snapped the both of them out of the mood and they pulled away from each other and turned to the door. The ambiguous air that had been over them seemed to vanish.

"Come in." Heng said, his hoarse voice the only indication of the previous mood.

The waiter opened the door for Tan and discreetly left the room, closing the door behind him. Heng smirked at the man and gestured to the seat opposite the one he and Wei were seated on.

"Well, if it isn't Heng!" Tan said sliding into the seat, smirking. Tan was a handsome man with high cheekbones and thin lips. Wei, however, lost all his respect for the man when he saw he was dressed in a black silk shirt and had a gold chain around his neck.

"Oh, and the City's mighty protector!"

Wei snapped out of his thoughts and smiled thinly at the man, hoping he didn't read much into his look of disgust at his clothes.

"Mr. Tan Liu. It's a pleasure to meet you." Wei greeted him. His eyes kept slipping down to the gleaming chain.

There was a moment of silence as all the men stared silently at each other.

"So, not that I don't like meeting with you Heng, but is there reason why you asked me to join you here?? I thought our deal was done." Tan said, smiling pleasantly all the while.

"I'm calling in that favor you owe me." Heng said, smiling just as pleasantly back at Tan.

Wei sighed in exasperation.

"I don't need you to do my job for me, Heng. Mr. Tan Liu, let's talk about David Sato."

Wei observed Tan as he realised he was not dealing with Heng but rather with him. Wei noticed that he was suddenly a lot more confident and the slight line of tension in his body had eased.

"David Sato? Oh, he is an employee. I didn't realise that the police had their attention on one of my employees."He said, smirking at Wei lanquidly.

Wei gave a half-hearted smirk at Tan's attempt at humour. Heng seemed to have taken Wei's admonishment seriously and was focused on scrolling through his mobile.

"We can place Mr. David at the scene of the crime and we have placed his arrival and departure within the time of the crime.

"Circumstantial."

"We also have a motive. We know that the director was sleeping with Mr. David's girlfriend. Someone with motive and opportunity? It will be easy enough to convict him."

"Oh?," Tan smirked and leaned forward."Then why haven't you arrested him yet, Detective?"

Wei looked at the man and rolled his eyes. "Because if he has even a modicum of brains, he will not step out of the protection your territory offers him."

There was a moment of silence before Tan guffawed. Wei jerked a little, not expecting the man to laugh at his face.

"Are you asking me to give up my....employee, from my protection, assuming of course, he is even under it?" Tan looked at him mockingly.

Wei smirked and leaned back. "I am asking you to give him over before he decides to go over to the Wolves and take that offer of theirs he has been deliberating over."

Tan's smile slipped of his face. "Do you think I am so stupid that I'll believe a cop about my employee's faithfullness?"

"No, I think you know I'm not stupid enough to lie about something this huge to you. Anyway, you can make the decison yourself. Give him over to us before he runs to the Wolves and you won't have to deal with all the court orders I will get to throughly sweep your place. Wouldn't want to disturb anything would you?"Wei leaned back and took a sip of the drink he had been neglecting.

Heng was staring at him with actual stars in his eyes. Wei looked at him bemusedly, before turning back to Tan.

Tan looked angry now. "Do you think I am a pushover?"

Wei sighed. "No, I think you are a smart man and will make the right decision. If he does make it safely into my custody, I will ensure none of this will point back to you."

Tan looked at him before draining his drink and standing up. "I will contact you. Heng."

He nodded at both of them before walking out.

Wei turned to Heng only to see that the man was still staring at him soppily.

"What?" Wei said, moving slightly away.

"You're so hot."

"What are you, 17? Listen, I have work in the morning and I need to sleep. I'm leaving."

"Wait! You promised to cuff me!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wei reached his apartment and sat down on his couch. He now knew, definitively, that Heng had to be another man.

Wei thought back to when he was first given the prospectus of the Counter Balance Project.

He had just finished a project that would lead his company to the top of the stock market and was in a bit of an ennui. He was bored with his job and with his life.

Feng never really had a clear memory of a family. He had vague impressions of a singing female voice and a gruff male one but nothing more.  His first clear memory was of one of the priests at his orphanage handing him an alphabet book which he taught himself. As an orphan Feng was ready to break into the wide world to become the best he could, as fast as he could. He kept his name, not because he felt particularly attached to it, but because it was the first thing he ever owned.

Becoming successful was fun, at first. Then the loses reduced to nothing, while the successes increased, until suddenly each win was simply boring.

Suddenly, this project dropped into his hands, and suddenly, he found something interesting again. He had only waited to ensure the thing was safe before throwing himself into the project and training himself without abandon.

Is it possible they lied about the energy requirements? Who designed this thing?

Wei sighed before looking up as his phone chirped.

He had a message from an unidentified number.

There will be a gathering in Lucas. You can arrest him there. I will ensure nobody helps him. Don't bring an entire team. Only you can enter the restaurant.

Wei smiled widely. Jackpot.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next day Wei walked into Sera's office and put the file he had compiled over night on top of her desk before sitting on top of her desk.

Sera pushed him of it before picking up the file and going through it. She was silent for a few minutes before looking at him with narrow eyes.

"You do realise how dangerous this is, right? You are asking me to sent you into a mob gathering without adequate protection or back up. You can die."

"i am not stupid Sera. But this is the only way we can capture this guy and you know it."

Sera looked at him for a long moment. "Fine. But you will have back up waiting for you outside and you will were a vest."

"Fine. I'll get the team ready."

He walked away to his pen only to see that most of the team was gathered and WeiWei was missing.

"What's going on?"

"WeiWei said something about how she knows who did it and ran out."

"Yeah, I figured it out yesterday. Strap up, all of you. Target is Mr. David Sato, one of Tan Liu's henchmen and location is the Lucas Steak-house."

He could see the looks of surprise and fear in their faces.

"I've negotiated with him to release David to us, but we have to arrest him personally. Tan won't openly give up one of his men to us. So wait out of the restaurant and do not move against any of the others. We are only targeting David."

His team nodded determindedly before turing around and putting on their vest and strapping on their guns. Wei wondered what exactly the female protagonist was doing but knew that whatever be the case, she would be at the steak-house today.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wei pulled his baseball cap lower to try to cover his face as he lounged in one of the booths at the steak-house.

He couldn't remember the last time he was so scared of failure. He knew that if he died, the story would simply go on as per the original story and there wouldn't be much of a backlash. He also knew that if he died, he would just wake up in the original world.

He thought about Heng. He wasn't in love with the man. And he knew Heng wasn't either. It was merely an obsession. A new type of person the man found interesting.

So he knew this fear of failure made no sense. He sighed when his thoughts were disturbed by the arrival of waiter depositing his order on the table.

His back was to the door, which made him fidgety, but he knew if David saw him, the man would bolt and Tan would be expected to protect the man from the law or execute him himself. Which would effect the story line too much.

He heard the raucous sounds of alughter as the silent steak-house was suddenly filled a group of men and a few women. He relaxed against the seat waiting for the right moment to confront the man.

The entire party had seated themselves and a team of waiters fanned out to serve the entire party. Wei felt many eyes examining him before moving away to eye the other diners. He felt the black wig Sera had forced on him itch at his ears and just wanted to tear it away.

He had already noticed David. The man looked vaguely sick but his body showed hidden strenght in the way he walked. He had seated himself close to the entrance.

Wei cursed under his breath before slowly starting to cut into his steak. He had to wait until the man moved.

He waited close to 15 minutes before Tan finally asked the man to come closer to his seat. Tan was seated at the head of the long table, with his back to a wall.

Wei slowly walked up to one of the diners sitting close by, before smiling up at the woman. She blushed and started talking to him.

Wei mindlessly shared small talk with her, keeping a close eye on David. He was now sitting close to Tan and seemed to be very nervous, while the men around him were starting to look angry.

Wei slowly started to stand up, whwne the doors of the restaurant opened with a bang. The loud steak-house was immediately quiet when Song WeiWei walked in wearing impractical heels, a tight blouse and a tight pair of jeans.

Wei cursed to himself and immediately moved closer to David, who was distracted by WeiWei.

The stupid woman then pulled out the gun they had taken as evidence moved closer to David and said in an obnoxious manner, "We found this gun with the body of Director Lee and it has been traced back to you. Mr David Sato you are under arrest for the murder of Director Lee. You have the right to remain silent....."

Wei thought the woman would actually be able to handle this herself when she suddenly noticed him and jolted in surprise. No, Oh God, please don't tell me she's that stupid!!!

"Ehhh?? Detective Zhang?"

David obviously used that distraction to wrestle the gun out of her hands and pushed her away before turning and pointing the gun at him.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In a way, Wei thought in a part of his brain not occupied with staring down a henchman of the mob, he was glad the man chose to fight and not flee. Atleast now he would be taken in on charges of threathening a police and the mafia wouldn't protect him.

Song had finally shut up. She seemed to have realised just what she had done.

The man was now visibly nervous, his eyes shifting for a possible escape route. The mob members didn't seem to want to give him an out and one of them even leaned lightly against the door to the entrance.

The world seemed suspended in tension.

David shifted his eyes to Tan, as thought pleading for his help and Wei chose that moment to leap forward.

The gun fired and Wei felt a flare of pain on his mid-riff through his bullet-proof vest before he wrestled the man onto the ground.

Wei punched the man twice on his solar plexus, before wrestling the gun away from him and pushing it away.

The man socked Wei once on his chest and Wei could feel his breathe stuttering and the world tilting around him.

He quickly kicked away at David before pushing him onto his stomache and pulling out his cuffs and quickly cuffing him. David tried to wriggle out from under him but Wei quickly smashed his head against the tiles once more, before the man finally went limp under him.

He looked up, to see a frightened WeiWei and a smirking Tan who was lounging against his seat as though he was watching a show.

"Call the ambulance."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wei lied on the back of the ambulance giving Sera his report.

"What was Miss Song doing at the scene?" Sera growled.

One of the paramedics was taping him up. Wei groaned lightly before answering "No clue. I don't even know how she managed to get her hands on the evidence or why she decided to bring it with her.."

He actually didn't know how she managed to get her hands on the evidence. Why would she be stupid enough to take evidence out of precinct and bring it to a confrontation in the first place?

"Rest." Sera said, lightly patting his hand. " I'll deal with the rest. Good work, Detective Zhang."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wei opened his eyes to a nurse checking on him. When she saw he was awake, she smiled brightly at him.

"Detective Zhang, you are XXX City Private Hospital. You have been unconsious for 1 day. Today is the 15th of June."

Zhang groaned slightly before taking in a deep breath. His eyes widened as a sharp pain swept through his body and struggled to take in more air through the pain.

The nurse immediately tried to calm him down and slowly breathe through his oxygen mask which he only felt once she pressed it down on him.

He calmed down slightly, before taking in short gasps of air to ensure his lungs wouldn't protest again.

He looked at the nurse, silently demanding an explanation.

"You have 2 broken ribs and a few of them are cracked. Thankfully, there's no internal damage. You'll have to stay for atleast a month.

Wei sighed. He would definitely be missing his brother's orchestra.

He heard the door opening and opened his eyes to look at it.

Heng walked in, clutching a duffle bag in one hand and an enormous bouquet in the other.

"Oh, Mr. Heng! You're just in time!! Mr. Zhang is awake."

The nurse quickly picked up her tray and walked away.

Zhang looked at the man who was scanning his face.

"You brought a bouquet? I don't really like flowers." Zhnag wheezed out beyond the pain in his chest.

Heng set the bouquet on of the side tables before sitting on the seat next to the bed. His face was inscrutable as he stared down at Zhang.

"You're not Zhang Wei and I'm not Heng. Lets not kid ourselves and have a real talk."

"Hmm. So who are you?" Zhnag asked his lips raising into a smirk.

Heng's lips twitched slightly. "Well, that wouldn't be fun, now would it?"

"What do you want from me?" Zhang asked, finally interested in knowing the answer to the question that had been plaguing his mind.

"Stay. Stay in this life with me. If you can trick me into saying who I really am, I will give you a stake in the Counterbalance Project."

"And if I don't?"Zhnag asked him lips twitching at the edges.

"Well, then you will have to follow me into the next world I enter. And don't tell me you won't find out who I am as soon as you exit this world."

Zhang smirked at him. "Deal."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Later, while Heng tried to feed him oatmeal, he told him how everything was handled.

Song's badge was stripped and she was booted out of the department. This would seem like a light punishment, except one of the diners in the steak-house had managed to video the entire altercation and had put it up on the web. Song was suddenly a pariah in the world and was mocked for her stupidity. Sera had given a press release which showed that the woman had used the team's efforts to get a promotion and did it in an extremely stupid manner. She didn't leave Song a path to make a come back.

Zhang didn't particularly care about what the woman was upto as he was forced by Heng to stay put on the hospital bed.

Two days after his hospitalisation and once the news went public, his parents and brothers swept like a tornado into the hospital room. His mother had burst into tears and his father bullied him into giving up his apartment and stying with them for his recovery. Everything was made worse when Heng swept in and introduced himself as his boyfriend.

His mother had blushed lightly after seeing Heng before pushing her husband and sons out of the room and sent him a discreet thumbs-up before closing the door behind her.

Heng had only grinned lightly before going through his daily routine of feeding him like he was an incapable baby and taking out his work documents and reading them out loud to him which always sparked debate between them which almost always ended up with them making out in weird positions to ensure his chest was protected.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Zhang was released from the hospital into his parents hands and they spent the days with them lavishly pampering him like they were making up for the years they spent apart.

It always made Zhang uneasy as he never really wanted parents always having the loving guidance of Father Joseph who had been his caretaker and mentor in his orphanage.

The Zhang parents over the top attention only made him more uneasy.

He finally couldn't take it anymore. He knew there was no way they would let him go back to his lovely apartment and knew there was only one thing left to do.

The next day, Zhang mother clutched at him with teary eyes as Heng loaded his bags into his car.

"Go get that boy, dear. He's hot."

"I-I..." Zhang faltered. "I am so uneasy, right now."

"I'm just saying! Quality goods like those don't last in the market very long." She winked at him.

Zhang could hear Heng snickering from inside the car.

"We are never talking about this ever again!!"

His father helped him into his seat and closed the door of the car.

Heng started down the driveway while Zhang waved to his parents.

"Well, atleast you're mom knows quality goods when she sees them."Heng said his lips twitching.

"Just drive."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So how was it?? Was it too fast?? Do you guys want a list of Au's I am planning on doing?

Tell me in the comments.

I have never written a fight scene before and this was my first try. What do you guys think??

I just watched Yuri On Ice and usually I don't really like anime's but this was so much fun!! I am deep into YOI Fanfiction now...Seriously, try it out you guys, you'll love it.   

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

634K 35.8K 56
Its journey of two opposite personalities. Will they fall in love or become enemies... Let's see.... *I don't own any characters. This story is pure...
Screw This By FOAA

General Fiction

30.5K 1.8K 21
Dying after moving was not on Yeong-Cheol's plans, nor was traveling to different worlds. Even worse suddenly the guy he's supposed to kill keeps fli...
44.6K 3.5K 12
A short story! "WEI YING!!!" I shouted the moment he shrugged my hand off. I tried! I tried my best to grab him! I would never let him go! But in the...
35.2K 1.1K 25
In the novel, there are always characters who are strong, powerful, and on top of that have stunning appearances, but because of the plot arrangement...