Beautiful, Beautiful

By CharlayMarieWrites

**** From the 2016 Watty Award winning author of White Fire**** Burst into this fantasy fairytale and journey... More

Born of Beauty
The Village
Crow
No Privacy
Meeting the King
Silver and Gold
The Welcoming Ball
Under the Castle
The Dance
A Garden of Schemes
George
Christian
Tea for Two
Happy Birthday
The King's Library
Betrothed

A Warning

3.3K 239 87
By CharlayMarieWrites

Sun watched quietly as Princess Adel dashed a spoon full of sugar into her cup of tea. The china was a fine, delicate set made of porcelain, and its floral pattern had been painted specifically to Adel's liking. It wasn't often when she'd bring the set out for guests, but today, she wanted to impress.

"Julian Boyardo painted the set," Adel mused, taking a sip of her tea. "Do you know him?"

"I've heard of him," Sun said, holding a warm cup in hand. Smoke from the tea rose into the air, the scent of spices dancing around her nostrils as she continued eying Adel.

"He is the most talented painter in Noch, but his work is even more famous than he. When my mother died, he painted me this tea set and called it, 'Daughter of the flower'."

"Tulips, your mother's favorite."

Adel raised a single brow, looking more like Crow than ever before. "Impressive. Father must've told you. I've been meaning to talk to you about him."

"You're father?" Sun took a sip of her tea. It tasted divine.

"Particularly about your visit to the garden," Adel explained, lifting a cookie to her mouth. She nibbled ever so delicately before returning the cookie to her plate. "Father only visits the garden when he's thinking about the future...or should I say his children's future. I'm curious to know why he'd take you."

"Well," Sun smiled, politely. She still wasn't very sure about the princess and wanted to tread waters carefully. "He wanted to gift me with a single tulip."

"Surely there's more to the story," Adel encouraged, placing a gloved hand on the table. "Don't hold out on me. It's been so long since I gossiped with a girl my own age. What is a tea party without entertainment? Besides, I'm sure I could offer you pointers on how to deal with father. He's always up to something."

"Well, he suggested I consider Prince Christian as a companion." Sun studied the smile on Adel's face and how she seemed to be struggling to keep it plastered there.

"Did he? And, how do you feel about it?"

"I've only just arrived at the castle, and honestly, my arrival was against my will. I didn't ask to be a countess, and I'm certainly not asking to be a future queen. His suggestion was very overwhelming."

"It bet it was overwhelming. I can only imagine how I'd feel if someone suggested I entertain the prince when I'm more attracted to his brother."

Sun almost spit out her tea as she took in Adel's mischievous grin. "Pardon?"

"Oh come on, we can be honest with each other, can't we? I saw the two of you on the dance floor under the castle. I saw the connection with my own eyes." Adel shook her head as she smiled. "I never thought I'd ever see Crow so affected by a girl. Once he had you, he wouldn't let you go. He would've waged a war right then and there, had I taken you from him."

"We were both intoxicated," Sun explained, her cheeks flushing a bright red. She could no longer meet Adel's eyes.

"A drunk's truth speaks the loudest. Have you heard the saying?" Adel asked. "Don't be ashamed. If you asked me, I'd tell you to ignore my father's suggestions and follow your heart. Being a queen is a lifestyle a girl like you should never be subjected to."

"Why do you care so much?" Sun asked.

"Us girls must stick together. Its really the reason why I invited you to tea." Adel took another sip. "Who will look out for us if not ourselves? If you can trust anyone in this castle, it would be me. Remember that."

"I'll be sure to," Sun smiled, although the gesture didn't reach her lips.

"There is also another reason I invited you. I wanted to offer my trust but also a warning. You see, Crow has a heart of stone, but it's how he protects himself from our father's demands. Deep down, he's desperate for love and I don't blame him

"Our mother had nurtured him most. She was his best friend, but when she died..." Adel paused, shadows clouding her eyes as she looked away from Sun. "His natured changed. The last of his youthfulness disappeared and once father caught of sight of it, he jumped on him like a vulture. Crow is stone because father used the grief of mother's passing to harden him.

"A week after our mother passed, father took Crow to the wilderness, left him there, and told him to find his way home. It took Crow two weeks, and when he returned, he didn't speak for months.

"Shortly after that, father made him quit his lessons to train full time with the knights. He was to be treated no differently than men twice his age. Who knows what things he suffered at that training camp. He never speaks of it.

"He trained for three years while Christian and I spoiled ourselves inside of the castle walls, with maids at our hands and feet. It was hard being without a mother, but at least Christian and I had each other. Crow had no one.

"When his training was over, he returned to the castle, but he wasn't the same brother I once knew. At sixteen, he had the seriousness of a man ten years his senior. He barely acknowledged us, only caring about his desire to be father's commander. I often invited him to tea, but he'd never come. He was no longer my beloved brother.

"I shared in his pain, because I knew father didn't love me, either. I was simply a tool in his future plans to restore an ally. I shared in Crow's pain because I too, hated father. I promised myself that my own hardening heart would always be soft enough for Crow, if no one else.

"I love my brother, more than anything, even if he doesn't let me love him. But I think he'd let you in. In fact, I think he already has." Adel leaned forward, her eyes hardening by the second. "But if you listen to my father and choose Prince Christian, you will be hurting my brother. And if you hurt Crow..."

Adel set back in her chair, a soft smile returning to face. She cleared her throat and looked down at Sun's tea cup trembling in her hand. "I just hope I never have to invite you back to tea for the wrong reasons."

"Well," Sun let out a shaky laugh. "I definitely don't plan on hurting anyone. Consider me warned." She took the last of the tea into her mouth and stood to her feet. "Thanks for tea. It was a pleasure."

"The pleasure was mine."

Sun nodded and quickly fled the room without another glance in the princess's direction. Who knew tea came with consequences?

The light of truth always had a way of illuminating even the darkest pits of deception. And as the sun casted its glorious ways through the high windows that trailed along the walls, Sun began to see the castle for what it was:

A house full of schemes.

Her heart pit-patterned at an increasing race as she rushed along the passageways, replaying every detail that happened to her since arriving at the castle, such as Crow's infuriating ways, Christian's never-ending supply of charm, the kings secret expectations, the maids insight into this new world, George's reproach and warning, and lastly, Adel's warning.

It wasn't hard for Sun to figure out that Princess Adel's tea parties were more about politics than tea. She'd made it very known that her opinions paralleled her father's. It was clear as day the moment she had planted the bug in Sun's ear to favor Crow over Christian.

It seemed as though the prophecy was going to come true. So far, Sun felt as if she had pinned the Princess against the King and prince against prince. Soon, the entire castle would be in shambles.

And it all started because she desired to try on that gold dress in her village's shop. If she would have stayed put, as Cale had instructed, she wouldn't have been careless enough to be exposed to Prince Christian. And as Sun entered into her room, she made a promise to herself to make everything right again.

"Ah, she's back!" Velda chimed while dusting the white vanity that already looked spotless. "How was tea?"

"I suppose it went well," Sun answered, plopping down on her bed.

"You don't look so well." The caring, motherly voice came from Alma as she sauntered around the bedframe, placing a hand on Sun's forehead.

"I'm well, Alma. Really," Sun replied, smiling up at Alma's gentleness. Usually, Alma was a bit standofish, honoring duty over personal relationships, but her concerned expression revealed a side of her that Sun didn't know existed. A motherly side. And as Alma's hand caressed her forehead, Sun let out a choked noise.

Alma frowned further. "Well that sound certainly gives you away. Go on, tell us what's happened."

"What hasn't happened?" Sun croaked, and the tears she'd been unknowingly holding back began to spill from her eyes. "I feel like I'm living and smiling and pretending to be grateful for everything the king has offered me, but in all actuallity, I've stopped breathing.

"I'm not supposed to be here. If I stay, I'm going to doom the entire kingdom! Beauty comes at a cost, and it is a cost I'd like to pay alone."

"Oh, you don't mean that!" Alma offered, but Sun slowly shook her head, begging to differ.

"I'm cursed. I'm fated. I cannot change who I am. The only thing I can do is try to keep others from being harmed." Sun abruptly stood to her feet. "I can't stay here."

"Now, now," Alma sushed as she pulled Sun into her vulumptious bussom. The display of affection reminded Sun of her own mother, and she sunk into Alma with a shudder.

When was the last time someone had showed her ginuine affection?

"Our gifts can sometimes feel like curses as the most powerful gifts are oftentimes the hardest ones to bear. But mark my words, Sun, you should never have to face it alone."

"I'm going to bring out the worse in people."

"You don't know that."

"I do, more than you could ever know," Sun sighed. "My gift came with a curse and it is very real. The only way I can stop the curse is to flee."

Alma pulled Sun away from her to give her a firm look. "You will not be going anywhere. You will stay right here and allow us to talk some sense into you."

"She's right," Velda said, coming to stand next to Alma. Her bright eyes were passionate and yet sorrowful. "Since you've arrived, you've inspired so many young maids to dream. I hear them all talk. They admire you and your courage to leave your life behind and become a countess. It gives them hope that when they come of age, that they too can leave their life behind to become everything they ever wanted to be.

"You've done that for me," Velda blushed. "I turn eighteen in less than a year, and when I do, I'm going to join the King's circus. I'm a very gifted acrobate. Bet you never would have guessed, right? Not many people know, as I spend most of my time cleaning up after people than I do practicing."

"And she's very good at it," Alma added.

"But it wasn't until I met you that I decided to go for it. You are my inspiration and if you give up, then what hope is there for me?"

Sun lowered her head, ashamed at her willingness to run away, especially knowing that people were watching her so closely. Sure, many watched her for selfish reasons, but others watched her as if she was their hero.

Maybe, just maybe she would stay and fight. Maybe she'd prove the curse wrong by being a light in a dim world. Maybe, just maybe, she would have a happy ending. One with the Prince of her choice, without a care in the world for anyone's opinion.

"If you were to choose a prince, which one would you choose?" the question was out of Sun's mouth before she's realized it.

"That's an east one," Alma smiled, happy for the change of subject. "Prince Christian. He's a true gentleman."

"Oh come on," Velda groaned. "Her vagina must not be working properly in her old age. The correct answer would be Prince Crow."

"Velda, you vile child!" Alma fumed. "How many times do I have to wash out that mouth of yours?"

"Until you run out of soap, I suppose," Velda giggled as she back away.

"Get back to work!" Alma ordered, but the tug at her lips gave her away. She enjoyed Velda's antics. With a huff, she faced Sun and her eyes were once again gentle. "Never the mind which prince we would choose. Never the mind who anyone suggests as your future mate. The only thing that matters is what you feel inside. When I look at you, I see the future queen. The only thing I can't see is who the future king will be. Choose with your heart, because if you choose incorrectly, the whole kingdom may suffer from it. But whatever you do, don't run from it."

"I guess you are right" Sun exclaimed. "I can't run from the inevitble anyway. The only thing I can do is play my part."

"Exactly," Alma concurred. "Now, lets get you off to bed. You need rest. It's been a long day."

Sun nodded and allowed the maids to help her out of her dress. Minutes later, she walked toward her bed and sank into the pillowed matress, watching as her maids took their leave.

With a sigh she turned onto her side, and reached for the lamp. A piece of paper on her night stand caught her eye, and she quickly sat up, retrieving it from the dresser.

With a fluttering heart, she unfolded the note and read the message:

You are the song of a rising sun,
And each day my heart shall sing at dawn.
- Prince C

It meant that whoever had written her that note was smitten. To him, she was a sweet song that escaped his mouth upon rising each morning. It was beautiful.

With a sigh, Sun opened her nightstand drawer and placed the note inside. And instead of a peaceful slumber, she lay awake, wondering which prince had wrote those two lines.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.9M 96.6K 38
Presenting the story of ISHIKA MEHRA Whose innocence made the king bow down to her AND ABHIRAJ SINGH RATHORE Whose presence is enough to make the per...
827K 29K 103
When Grace returns home from college, it doesn't go like she thought it would. With her past still haunting her everyday choices, she discovers a sid...
30K 980 34
Maenya Targaryen. Born in 96 AC, The first child of Aemma and Viserys Targaryen, All seemed well, Maenya was "The gem of the Kingdoms" her younger si...
37.5K 1.2K 15
Warning: 18+ ABO worldကို အခြေခံရေးသားထားပါသည်။စိတ်ကူးယဉ် ficလေးမို့ အပြင်လောကနှင့် များစွာ ကွာခြားနိုင်ပါသည်။