My brother's best friend

By Leya0239

Lindsey thought she had it all figured out. This was her last year at University and she was happily engaged... More

Chapter one
Chapter two
Chapter three
Chapter four
Chapter five
Chapter six
Chapter seven
Chapter eight
Chapter nine
Chapter ten
Chapter eleven
Chapter twelve
Chapter thirteen
Chapter fourteen
Chapter fifteen
Chapter sixteen
Chapter seventeen
Chapter eighteen
Chapter nineteen
Chapter twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Author's note

Chapter Thirty-Six

1.8K 52 6
By Leya0239

Daniel POV

I ring the doorbell and wait for Abby to open. The door swings open and there she is, dressed in a red dress that comes to her knees that seem to flow from somewhere. Maybe the sparkling red flower broach between her breasts?

I kiss her cheek and as we walk to the car I remember seeing Lindsey in a black dress, also going out. I shut the car door, slightly too loudly, in an attempt to stop the memory from running through my head, but it does.

The door opens and there Lindsey is, dressed in a black lace dress, looking beautiful as ever. I try not to think too much of it. I also try not to look too long. "Where are you going?" I get out just as she asks, "What are you doing here?". I answer first, "I came for a visit. I was going to come in two weeks, but I missed Aiden, so I came up." She steps aside and lets me. She doesn't answer me. She's going out. I know it. And for some reason, it leaves a little sour taste in my mouth just thinking about it.

"Who were you expecting?" I ask, getting past the bitterness, and put down my bag. "Your sister." She says, still sounding bitter over the fact that I left so soon after Aiden came. "She's supposed to watch Aiden tonight." She continues.

I couldn't hold it in any longer, "Going on a date then?" I hope the bitterness isn't evident in my voice, but by the look in her face, I assume it is. "Yeah, well she made me." She doesn't sound too happy about it. Wait, why do I care? I love Abby. I shouldn't care how Lindsey is feeling about this. I watch as she pulls her hair into a ponytail.

"Where's Aiden?" Just as the words left my mouth the baby monitor's light goes on and we hear Aiden crying. "He's just woke up." She says, the tiredness evident all over her face and in her voice. She starts to head for the stairs, but I hurry past her, "I'll get him." I run up the stairs and into the room. I reach down and pick up Aiden, making sure not to hurt him. I hold him to my chest and softly touch his head. I walk out to where Lindsey just arrived. "Hello, my love." She coos before kissing his head. "Are you hungry?" She looks up at me, her sparkling green eyes looking as tired as ever, "There's a bottle in the fridge, remember to-" "Heat it up, I know." I cut her off before going downstairs.

I grab the bottle from the fridge and pop it into the microwave. I place Aiden in his play ring in the living room before heading back to the kitchen for the bottle. After the beep I take out the bottle and test the milk on my wrist, making sure it isn't too hot. I head to the living room and pick up my son again. I cradle him in my arms and start feeding him. The doorbell rings and I get up and quickly go to answer it.

I place the bottle on the table next to the door, where Lindsey leaves her keys, and reach out to shake the guy's hand. "Hello, I'm Daniel." I see the man's eyes flick to my son, then very unsure, "Lucas." He shakes my hand before letting his arm fall to his side limply. I hear Lindsey coming down the stairs and send him a smile.

"Hello, I'm ready to go." She says stepping in front of me. I see him eyeing Aiden and me before looking at her again, "Sure." She steps out and shuts the door. For a moment I just stare at the door. Aiden tugs on my shirt and I remember I was busy feeding him. I take the bottle and go sit on the couch again, feeding him.

The door opens and I can hear Taylor before I see her, "I'm sorry I'm late, you can leave now, I-" She stops talking when she sees me. "You're back." She sounds kind of stunned. "Please tell me you're back?" She says softly. "I'm visiting for the weekend." Her shoulders droop, "Damn it, Daniel, just when I thought my sleepless nights were over." I frown, "What do you mean?" She rolls her eyes and sinks down onto the couch next to me, "I've been helping Linds, she really struggled the first few days. I offered to help, and it's been one long sleepless helping expedition."

"Sorry." I mumble. She shrugs, "You did what you thought was best." "You don't think I did what's best?" She doesn't look at me. "Taylor." I grumble. "Fine. No, I think you left her all alone with a newborn to care for. It's hard waking up every few hours to get your baby to sleep. And it's usually something you do with your partner." She takes a breather, "All I'm saying is that it's been hard."

She reaches for the TV controller and switches it on. "It's been hard for me too." She gives me a side glans, "Yeah, but you have Abby. She's got no one. She didn't even want to go out with this guy. She can't end up alone, Daniel. And let's face it, you left her. And not just with the baby these past few weeks." I bite my lip before I say something I might regret.

I hear the door open and look at my watch, she can't be back yet. Can she? I turn around slightly to see her face. She looks like she's about to fall apart. But Taylor doesn't notice and just chirps, "That was quick." I roll my eyes at my sister, who doesn't notice.

I turn down the TV's volume and turn so I can face her more, "What happened?" She shrugs, "He, uh, wanted something uncomplicated." Taylor finally seems to be interested in the situation, "So?" She walks over to Aiden and starts cooing over him, "Hello, my love, is daddy letting you watch TV?" My heart swells when I hear her talk about me. "Doesn't he know we go to bed early?" She kisses his cheek.

"What happened with Lucas?" Taylor presses, but Lindsey ignores her and looks at me, "I'm just going to change. I'll help you put him to bed." She turns away, but not before I notice her lip biting. I quickly go upstairs and put Aiden down. I coo over him for a while and wait for him to close his eyes.

Just as I finish closing the door I hear Lindsey letting out frustrated groans. I knock on her door before opening it. I peek into the room, "Can I come in?" Lindsey sinks to the floor and starts to silently sob. I shut the door behind me before going over to her. I sit down in front of her, "Linds, what happened?" She doesn't respond so I reach out and take her face in my hands, making her look at me, "Talk to me." I wipe the tears from her cheeks with my thumb.

"What's wrong with me? I can't even go on a date. Am I ugly? Fat?" My heart breaks as she speaks. Past the tear stains, puffy eyes and swollen lip from where she was nervously biting, she was perfect. Hell, even with all of that she's still beautiful. Why couldn't she see that? "There's nothing wrong with you. You're beautiful." I say, hoping she'll believe me. I tuck a strand of hair behind her ear so I can see her green eyes better, "It's his loss, Linds. You are wonderful."

I watch as her eyes soften for a moment, and I am sure she believes me. But then I see her face pull into a scowl and she sucks in her bottom lip to bite it some more. She doesn't believe me. I wouldn't either, not after what I did. I know she hates me. I know I've hurt her. But she needs to know how beautiful she is. Before I can say anything else she pushes off the floor. She walks past me and starts reaching for the dress' zipper. "Here let me." I say getting up and turning her to face away from me.

I gather her hair and place it over her shoulder, not wanting to hurt her. I pull the zipper down and watch as tiny goosebumps appear on her skin as the cold night air hits the naked skin. My head starts pounding as my heart races. Images of that night flash in my mind and I have to fight against the urge to lean down and kiss the bare skin. I shut my eyes and remind myself I have a beautiful red-haired girl who loves me and I love her. At least I think I do.

When there's an image of Abby on the back of my eyelids and the zipper hits the end of its line I speak softly, "Done." She turns around, her arm holding the dress to her body. Her green eyes are watery and I wish I could just shield her from the pain she is feeling. I try not to look too hard, still keeping Abby in mind. I cup her cheek and focus on her green orbs, "You are so much more than any of us deserve." I want to kiss her. I want to show her how wonderful I think she is. I want her to see herself through my eyes.

I take the risk, I lean down and kiss her forehead as I hear my heart pounding in my chest. I step back after letting my lips linger on the soft skin. "I'll go put Aiden down." I walk out and shut the door. I lean against it as I try to calm myself down. Images of Abby come to mind. I love her. Just as I'm about to push off the door I hear muffled sobs from within. I want to go in, but decide she needs to be alone.

For the rest of the night, I listened to her crying into her pillow. She only fell asleep in the early morning hours. I wish I could save her from the pain, but I don't know how. I don't know if I can.

I watch Abby from across the table she chats and laughs at her own jokes. I feel silly for not being part of the conversation. But she seems to be doing fine on her own. I do nod and try to laugh, however. I assume she'd notice if I, the only other person in the conversation, isn't responding.

The box with a ring inside is burning a hole in my pocket. Suddenly my mind fills with memories of Lindsey and I eating pizza together.

"Would you have married me?" I look at Lindsey, shocked at the question. She shakes her head, redness spreading to her cheeks and I can't help think how cute she is. Then she says, "You don't need to answer."

My heart thunders in my chest as I prepare to answer her. Pain. That's what she will feel after I've said these words, but I need to say them. Not just for her, but me. A reminder. "I suppose I would have if I hadn't met Abby." Even though she's trying to hide it, I can see the pain come onto her face. She gets off the couch and walks to the picture of her parents. She wraps her arms around herself like she's holding herself together.

"Linds," I say behind her, I hesitate but decide to rub her arms in an attempt to comfort her, "are you alright? I-" She shakes her head and pulls away from me. The pain in my heart is nothing compared to what she must be feeling. "I am just tired." She whispers, then she turns to face me, "I think I just want to go to bed." I nod, "Oh, alright. I guess I'll go then." She hugs herself tighter. "I'll see you tomorrow then?" I ask and she nods.

I turn around at the door, "We didn't pick a colour." She bites her lip, in the way that makes me go crazy sometimes, "I think we can stick to the mint green and grey." I nod, "I'll get the paint." I turn around and leave.

Abby leans forward and touches my hand, "Daniel, are you listening?" I look at her, "Sorry, I was thinking about what to have." She grins, "Always think of food." She then carries on with her story. I try to focus but I really can't. I spot a couple a few tables away. There's a baby with them, a bit older than Aiden.

I smile to myself as I remember holding him for the first time. Lindsey was asleep for a while. She was tired. Aiden started crying and I had picked him up. He was so small. Not too small, but still small. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

She won By R

Short Story

289 77 18
When a child is given birth , usually the child is expected to behave in a certain way, follow a certain religion,groom accordingly But what happens...
2.3M 40.9K 61
Football players are assholes. I know; I'm related to their king. My older, and annoyingly overprotective, brother Jake is the star quarterback at Sa...
330K 11.8K 46
"And it took me a while to realize it, but everything I've had to go through in this life, all the pain and sadness I've had to bear . . . well, its...
7.7K 432 27
#93 in Young Adult #4 in janitor #51 in projectbadboys Shortlisted in The Global Awards 2018 Honourable Mention in 2018 Bell Awards Previously featu...