The Masks we Hide Behind || P...

By prkerweb

❝ How did we get here? How did we end up hovering at the edge of the universe? ❞ ❝ You don't remember? It all... More

extended summary + disclaimers (PLEASE READ)
one: the beginning of a friendship
two: the world is watching
three: spider-woman
four: just my luck
five: old wounds
six: the football game
seven: so, we almost died
eight: can i trust you?
nine: yes, ned
ten: so, we almost died again
eleven: uh oh
twelve: avalanche [part one]
thirteen: avalanche [part two]
fourteen: broken
fifteen: empty
sixteen: that was cute
seventeen: the day did, in fact, get worse
eighteen: back at it again
nineteen: it was the last straw.
twenty: thank you, MJ
twenty-one: home
twenty-two: just some kids
twenty-three: i should've stayed in bed
twenty-four: flashbacks
twenty-six: yep, definitely not okay
twenty-seven: everybody wants to rule the world
twenty-eight: let's make a plan
twenty-nine: i care.
thirty: emptiness
thirty-one: o-o-h, child
thirty-two: benjamin lee
thirty-three: speechless
thirty-four: my lowest point, it seems
thirty-five: the warehouse
thirty-six: a new plan
thirty-seven: mads, you've done screwed up!
thirty-eight: dancin' with myself
thirty-nine: we did it
forty: relief and reveal
forty-one: idiot!
forty-three: the ned factor
forty-three: final conflict
forty-four: what you've all been waiting for...
author's note & sequel
book two: the truths we never told

twenty-five: maybe i'm not okay

4.7K 173 10
By prkerweb

The next morning, I find myself waking up to the sound of screaming police sirens speeding down my street. I roll over onto my side with a groan, savoring the soft, warm feeling of my bed. My cheeks feel sticky and my eyes are puffy from last night, since I couldn't stop myself from crying. My hair is a tangled, frizzy mess, and I hadn't even bothered to throw pajamas on to sleep in last night, I literally had crashed into my bed wearing only my undergarments.

My hand slithers out of under the warm, plush quilt on my bed and over to my bedside table to grab my phone. I yank it out of the plug and watch as the screen lights up, and I begin to scroll through my notifications, not even bothering to check the time. Then, I realize that I should be checking the time, and when I do, I realize that I should have woken up and been dressed a good twenty minutes before. Lovely.

With a groan I let my phone fall onto my white sheets beside me, and I shiver as I throw my blanket off of me. Goosebumps rise on my bare skin as I slide out of bed and wander over to my closet. I look over my shoulder and out my window at the overcast sky before snatching a pair of sweatpants that I had worn earlier in the week, along with one of my many old hoodies.

I get myself dressed quickly and with a yawn I exit the door and enter the tiny bathroom. I glance in the mirror quickly and focus on something else, before quickly returning my attention to my reflection. I sigh once I set my eyes on a giant, purple bruise on my forehead, from last night. I gently graze my fingertips across the spot, frowning. Great.

I attempt to run a brush through my hair, and once it's all brushed out, it hangs down in an even frizzier mess. I sigh and pull it up into the most half-assed messy bun I've ever seen, then continue to wash my face. I then walk into the small kitchen, and my eyes fall onto my older brother, who's hunched over the counter and looking very suspicious.

"Lucas, what are you - wait a minute, are those donuts?!" I end up practically screeching the last part as I realize that he's literally shoving all of the mini powdered donuts into his mouth.

I ran the rest of the way into the kitchen and Lucas slams me to the side, continuing to eat the entire bag of donuts, which happens to be quite large. I shove him back and snatch the paper bag, opening it and frowning.

"Asshole. You ate, like, all of them." I mutter as I reach into the bag.

Lucas shrugs and wipes at his mouth. "Whatever. You're the one who woke up late."

"Not my fault," I say and roll my eyes in response and watch as he runs his fingers messily through his hair and collapses onto our couch.

"Kinda is," He says and gives a fake chuckle. "also, where were you last night?"

I carry the bag of donuts with me into my bedroom and open the drawer of my bedside table, grabbing my small bag full of makeup and heading over to sit on the floor of my bedroom, in front of the tall mirror leaning against the wall.

"Out doing stuff," I call as I unzip the back and pour everything out. I sigh as I spot two large, inflamed pimples on my lower right cheek. I pull out my concealer and begin to do my work.

"What kind of stuff?"

"Spider-Woman stuff," I reply, practically caking concealer onto the pimples until most of the redness is somewhat covered up. Good enough.

"So, that's where that giant bruise came from?" Lucas asks.

"Yes." I mutter, wiping and dapping a large, stained blender across my cheek. I sigh and push all of my makeup aside, standing up and stretching with a yawn. I look like complete and utter shit, and I couldn't care less.

I take way too long to finish the donuts and end up making myself even later than I already was, so I'm forced to brush my teeth in well under thirty seconds. With him actually being on time, Lucas leaves well before me. I sprint out of the door and quickly lock it behind me before flying down the three flights of stairs to get outside.

Since I've already missed my train, I'm forced to walk to school, or rather swing, in my case. I enter the alleyway beside my apartment building and release a web to the building backing up to mine, landing on both of my feet smoothly. I pull up the hood of my sweatshirt and yank down on the drawstrings so it tightens around my face. Now I definitely look ridiculous.

I quickly release webs and let myself fly through the air with my backpack on my back, hoping that I'll arrive to school on time. I descend down from a tall building and catch myself with a web, causing me to swing past a large crowd of people crossing a street.

"Oh my god!"

"Where's the suit?"

"Is that the Spider-Woman?"

The comments and shouts fade away as I fly through the streets, my heart racing from the energy. My limbs flail through the air, my stomach drops, and the breeze slaps my face, and soon, I'm rushing into the building of Midtown High. My hood lies around my neck and my backpack lightly bumps against my back, and the bell signaling the beginning of first period is just about to ring, meaning I'm officially late, since I missed advisory.

I sprint down the empty halls of Midtown, and just as I reach my locker, the bell rings and students pour out of their advisory classrooms.

With a sigh, I enter my combination and open my locker. A feeling of emptiness looms over me, and ever since last night, I haven't felt...right, I guess. As I empty everything into my locker and grab what I need, the memories of last night keep replaying in my head, haunting me.

"Jesus."

I flinch and my head snaps in the direction of MJ's smooth voice sounds beside me. I shut my locker door and turn to her, leaning against the gray metal.

"What?"

"There's a huge ass bruise on your forehead." She murmurs, studying my face and furrowing her eyebrows just slightly.

"I'm aware." I note softly, pursing my lips into a tight smile. She rolls her eyes with the slightest of grins on her full lips before she announces that she's leaving for her next class and walks away.

Peter crosses my mind only once as I head to the art room, and I just hope that he actually talks to me today. I smile at Miss Bostra on my way in, and plop down next to Ned with a sigh.

"Hey." He chides, glancing at me with a grin. I set my belongings in a neat pile on top of the wooden desk and set my chin in my hand.

"Hi."

"I'm guessing you didn't see the video?" He asks as he pulls out his phone with an excited grin. Oh for the love of god, if it's about me again...

"What video?" I manage to drawl out. I blink slowly as I watch him open up the YouTube app on his phone, and I meet his eyes as he glances up at me.

"The video of the Spider-Woman. From last night." Well, would ya look at that.

"Nope, haven't seen it yet." I force out as he rapidly types something into the search bar on YouTube. He pulls the video up and slides the phone over to me and presses play.

You have got to be kidding me.

Several thoughts race through my mind as I watch in horror, realizing I that I practically lost my mind when attacking Avalanche last night. The video has a little over half of a million views, and I don't want to read even a single comment on the video. I look insane, and Avalanche is kicking my ass.

And it's online.

With almost half a million views.

I. Am. Fucked.

"She's so badass!" Ned exclaims.

"She's insane!" I blurt out, my eyes wide as I look at Ned.

"Insane?! How could you say she's - whoa, what happened?" He counters, then his voice grows only slightly softer as he reaches for the bruise on my forehead. His fingers graze my skin slightly, then he accidentally smashes them into the bruise.

"Ow!"

"Sorry!" He shouts quickly, earning stares from certain classmates. The whole situation probably looked quite amusing from anybody else's point of view, aside from Ned and I.

"It's fine." I mutter, before turning to look at the video again. I wince as I watch myself be thrown by Avalanche, practically feeling the pain all over again.

"What happened?" Ned asks.

"Nothing, I must have fallen or something." I murmur, my eyes lingering on the screen.

"Okay, but how could you say that she's insane?! I mean, look at her!" He whispers excitedly and shuts off his phone as the bell rings and Miss Bostra steps into the classroom.

"She's going nuts on the guy. Sure, he deserves it, but, I mean...look at her." I murmur.

"...Ooookay." Ned drawls. Ned and I exchange glances of disagreement before Miss Bostra officially starts the class by taking roll. And with that, the already stressful school day officially starts.

~~~

Oh, but the stress only grew.

I had three packets of homework from different classes assigned (that are due tomorrow.) and yet another essay in language arts. Thankfully, the essay is due Friday, but still, it's Wednesday, leaving only two days to start and finish it. God I hate school.

So now, it's 11:58 PM, and I've been working on homework all night. My phone has been on do not disturb for at least four hours or so, and the bags under my eyes have only grown. I've taken zero breaks, since I'm very determined to get everything done.

You're probably wondering, why did it take you so long? Well, I didn't understand 80% of the shit on the three packets due tomorrow, so I literally had to go through and teach myself everything. But it's fine! It's fine.

Once it's finally midnight, I decide to put everything to the side and take a break, because I certainly need it. I fish through my blankets and papers for my phone and pull it out, scrolling through the What feels like thousands of notifications, all from my friends.

Including Peter.

One missed call, two hours ago.

Well, shit.

I unlock my phone and immediately go to call him, silently praying that he'll pick up. The phone rings exactly four times before he answers, and it's quiet as we both hesitate to say the first words.

"Hey." Peter says softly.

"Hey." I murmur, rubbing my left eye and pressing my hand against the skin on my cheek.

"You're still up, huh?" He asks.

"Yeah, homework. You?" I reply, slowly getting up from my bed.

"Couldn't sleep." He murmurs into the phone.

"Oh." I reply.

It's silent for a good few minutes, and neither of us say anything. It's awkward, but it isn't at the same time. I begin to pace across my room.

"I'm sorry." Peter's voice finally breaks the silence, but I don't reply. "I-I was such an asshole. I'm sorry." He continues.

"It's okay," I respond. "I just want to know what's wrong..?"

"I don't...I-I mean...It's nothing." He stammers. I respond with a short sigh.

"Promise?"

"Promise." He affirms. I bite my lip and pace across my small room and over to my window.

"Pinkie promise." He adds. I can't help but smile and laugh slightly as I stare out of my window.

"You sound tired. Go to sleep." Peter laughs. I smile and yawn, running my fingers through my hair.

"Okay. Goodnight, Peter." I respond, the smile clear in my voice.

"Goodnight, Mads."

I hang up the call and smile as I stare out of my window before flopping onto my bed. I lay there and stare at my ceiling in silence for what seems like forever, until I realize that I have a ton of homework waiting to be finished.

~~~

Author's Note
Another late update whwhwhwhw I'm so sorry I don't deserve any of you guys. This chapter is so slapped together and messy and ugh, I'm so sorry! I hoped you enjoy it anyways and thank you so much for reading! If you notice any spelling/grammar mistakes please feel free to let me know! Have a wonderful day/night!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

145K 3.1K 20
What happened to you MJ? Who hurt you? Peter is looking for popularity at high school. He finally has a chance to prove himself worthy to his crush a...
3.4M 87.6K 122
this is an mcu peter parker imagines book! requests are closed as of 8/3/2021
64.2K 2.3K 50
꒷ ͝͝͝ ꒦ ͝ ꒷ ͝͝͝ ꒦ ͝ ꒷ ͝͝͝ ꒦ ͝ ꒷ ͝͝͝ ꒦ ͝ ꒷ ͝͝͝ ꒦ ͝ ꒷͏ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀
⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀
⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀
⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ༒ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀...
5.6K 148 12
|| Book 2 of 6 || Its been 2 months since the events of the Civil War. You and Peter are still happily together and attending Midtown School of Scien...