Glee: To the Next Level (the...

By arias3

With all of its original members gone, the glee club must struggle to survive at McKinley High School. Having... More

To The Next Level [Glee FanFic #2]
Chapter 1: Excited
Chapter 2: Trio
Chapter 3: Britney x3
Chapter 4: Rite of Passage
Chapter 5: Payback's a Bree
Chapter 6: Hot N' Cold
Chapter 7: Awkward
Chapter 8: Complicated
Chapter 9: Over
Not a Chapter-- QUESTION TIME ^_^
Chapter 10: Legacy
Chapter 11: Adams-Wilde vs Hart-Brown
Chapter 12: Misunderstandings
Chapter 13: The End of the Beginning
Chapter 14: The Fall Musical
Chapter 15: War for a Role
Chapter 16: Resurface
Chapter 17: Never Set Me Free
Chapter 18: Halloween Bash
Chapter 19: Burning Up
Chapter 21: Friend or Foe
Chapter 22: Revelations
Chapter 23: Duets and Vulnerabilities
Chapter 24: Birthday
Chapter 25: Replacement
Chapter 26: Competition
Chapter 27: Generosity
Chapter 28: Feliz Navidad and a Happy New Year
Chapter 29: Eye of the Tiger
Chapter 30: The Creative Process
Chapter 31: Film Do-It's
Chapter 32: Guilty Pleasures
Chapter 33: New Information
Chapter 34: Right Where You Want Me
Chapter 35: Before You Go
Chapter 36: King of Laziness
Chapter 37: That 70s Show
Chapter 38: Decades Dance
Chapter 39: The Next Forty Minutes
Chapter 40: Valentine Grams
Chapter 41: A Time for Love
Chapter 42: Addicted to Love
Chapter 43: Project Popularity
Chapter 44: The Girls' Demands
Chapter 45: One End and Two Beginnings
Chapter 46: Sorting Hat
Chapter 47: One Week
Chapter 48: The Girlfriend
Chapter 49: The Show
Chapter 50: Finale
Chapter 51: New Girl
Chapter 52: Cheerleaders and Angels
Chapter 53: Regionals
Chapter 54: Denial
Chapter 55: Anger
Chapter 56: Fed Up
Chapter 57: Bargaining
Chapter 58: Back to the Beginning
Chapter 59: Poor Unfortunate Souls
Chapter 60: Boys Will Be Boys
Chapter 61: The Full Killing Machine
Chapter 62: Picnic
Chapter 63: Looking For Salvation
Chapter 64: Wonderland
Chapter 65: Downward
Chapter 66: Getting Involved
Chapter 67: Depression
Chapter 68: Change
Chapter 69: Before Prom
Chapter 70: Prom
Chapter 71: After Prom
Chapter 72: The Drinking Game
Chapter 73: No Habla EspaƱol
Not a Chapter-- READERS' CHOICE ^_^
Chapter 74: The Super Secret of the Super Devious Super Girl
Chapter 75: Know Your Enemy
Chapter 76: Whatever Comes Next
Chapter 77: The Only Way is Up
Chapter 78: Crazy
Chapter 79: Harlie
Chapter 80: Late Night Bonding
Chapter 81: Athens of the South
Chapter 82: Fly Away
Chapter 83: Superlatives
Chapter 84: One, Two, Three
Chapter 85: Graduation
Character Contest

Chapter 20: Hairspray

4.5K 88 23
By arias3

Friday came quickly for the New Directions. A few of them, especially Amity, regretted going to New York and wished they'd have more time to rehearse.

"You'll be fine," Marley told Amity, waiting on the sidelines with her as Kitty strutted down the stage singing "Good Morning Baltimore."

"I can't do it," said Amity, her pigtails on and a lollipop in hand. "I can't."

"You have to!" Marley insisted. "Now, go go." On her cue, Amity froze. However Marley, who had been a helpful mentor during the Hairspray training, gave her a gentle push forward and forced her onto the stage to join Kitty at the edge of the stage in front of a television. The rest of the stage was cleared and replaced with the set for the The Corny Collins Show as Dan, who was also extremely nervous, walked out, followed by his dancers. They all fumbled around with hairspray cans, setting up for their mock-television show, as Kitty and Amity began to dance in front of the TV.

Dan took his place in the center of the stage as the others danced.

"Hey there, Teenage Baltimore!" Dan performed perfectly, trying to ignore the quiver of his knees. "Don't change the channel!"

Backstage, Jake watched from a distance as Marley looked out onto the stage nervously. He considered approaching her, starting up a small-talk conversation, but just as he was reaching her, she walked off and went over to talk to Alex. Trying not to make a scene or disrupt the show, Jake controlled his anger and instead watched the show as the music began and Dan began singing.

Dan: Oh every afternoon when the clock strikes four
Julie, John and other dancers: Bop-bee-ba, ba-ba-ba-ba, bee-ba
Dan: A crazy bunch of kids crash through that door yeah
Julie, John and other dancers: Bop-bee-ba, ba-ba-ba-ba, bee-ba

Jake smiled as he saw Kitty shaking her fake butt all over the stage television. He turned back to the dancers and noticed the tension between John and Julie. During rehearsals, they seemed a bit off. Everyone knew they weren't talking anymore, which was bound to cause problems for the on-stage couple. However, the tension worked for them, seeing as they weren't supposed to be a good couple. And now, there they were, smiling at the audience as they performed right next to each other.

He laughed as Julie pushed off one of the extras that was dancing on her spotlight, just as Amber did in Hairspray.

"She's doing great so far," Ryder said from behind him.

"Yeah, they--" Jake said as he turned around. He stopped when he saw Ryder, in John-Travolta-like drag, dressed as Edna.  Jake couldn't help laughing as he heard Julie yelp on stage. The audience laughed.

"I look ridiculous," he said. "I know. I tried all sorts of different costume designs Tina prepared and nothing helped make me look more normal. I look ridiculous."

"It suits you," Jake said jokingly.

"Oh that's got to be awkward..." Ryder mumbled. Jake turned around to find Julie and John in the middle of their partner dance. John dropped Julie and the audience laughed.

"You think he enjoys that?" Jake asked Ryder. "You know, being mean to her character?" Ryder shrugged.

On stage, Julie's face was flushed as Dan helped her up and she continued to dance, lining up for the roll call. Since she was first, she looked out at the audience and called out her name, only to be pushed by the guy behind her, as was scripted.

She returned to the back of the stage, waiting patiently as the extras went on. When John introduced himself as Link and Kitty, along with Amity, began shrieking excitedly, Julie fought hard to not roll her eyes. When she was a freshman and Rachel Berry had played Maria in West Side Stories, she'd done so alongside Blaine, not Finn. Sophomore year, Marley and Ryder had gotten the lead roles in Grease, and although they had crushed on each other, they weren't together. The spring semester, she and Jake played the couple for High School Musical, but there was no romance there. Somehow, John and Kitty being together for this didn't seem right. But Mr. Schue and the mentors loved it.

"I have to go now," said Ryder to Jake backstage, plugging his small mic in as he followed his cue and headed on stage to join Kitty and Amity. The crowd roared with laughter at the sight of him.

***

During "(The Legend of) Miss Baltimore Crabs," Sugar found herself disconnected with the cast members. She was glad that her character was meant to be emotionally distant, cold, and rude, because otherwise she would've seemed out of place in the musical. Julie and Kitty had great on-stage chemistry during the number, and Sugar panicked that her voice wouldn't be enough to match theirs.

She watched Julie with the extras, performing "The New Girl in Town" and felt a tinge of jealousy. Out of everyone in glee club, Julie was probably the most troubled, yet she never seemed to worry about her own problems. She had been with them for less than a year and she had already done so much for the club. That, and everyone seemed to like her, whereas everyone else seemed to have at least one person they didn't like. For Sugar, this was different. She didn't feel liked.

"Do you think we'll get to be remembered the way Finn and Rachel and Sam and Blaine are?" Sugar asked Joe backstage after he performed "(You're) Timeless to Me" with Ryder.

"Sure we will," he told her. "I mean, we're team captains."

"But..." Sugar began. "With them, it was like everyone knew they were leaders. And everyone wants to be like them. But this year, it doesn't seem like we're taking much initiative. Like... We aren't taking the lead as much as we should, you know?"

"What are you talking about?" said Joe as he adjusted his stage make up. "We wouldn't have the glee club without you."

"Well, yeah..." Sugar mumbled in response. "But that's my dad's money and it didn't take much effort. I quit on the club after Regionals just because Britt left and I didn't want to be in here without you."

"And I left on a Christian retreat," Joe pointed out to her. "But they accepted both of us back with open arms and even made us team captains. That's got to say something good about us."

"I think they see you more as a leader," said Sugar. "And I'm like, I don't know, your very cute and expensive accessory."

"Well, I've got the presidency to worry about," Joe told her. "And I'm newly captain of the Christian Club... So if you're really feeling like you aren't doing enough, maybe you can start taking my place at the biweekly meetings with Mr. Schue."

"Wait, there are meetings?" asked Sugar, dumbfounded. Joe looked at her with little suprise and smiled.

***

"Congratulations!" Kitty heard from multiple people she'd never spoken to before as she headed down to the costume removal room that had been set up in the Astronomy classroom. She was still in her fat suit and felt incredibly silly, but she walked with a big grin on her face, thrilled about the great reaction she'd received from the audience.

As soon as she walked in, the room filled with applause. John stepped in front of her with flowers.

"When did you have time to get those?" asked Kitty, her face flushed.

"My parents brought them," he said. "They're so excited to finally meet you."

"Oh, good!" exclaimed Kitty. She refused to admit that she was incredibly nervous about meeting them. "I'll just get out of my fat," she said with a smile. "And we can head out to dinner." John nodded, grinning as he hoped that his parents would love Kitty as he did. He hadn't mentioned it to her, but they had always wanted him to date Julie. Now they couldn't understand why she hadn't come over in months and they had asked to meet "that Kitty girl you go on and on about."

"Hey girly!" Bree exclaimed as Kitty joined her at the make-up removal area.

"Hey!" Kitty smiled. "I am so tired!"

"Me, too," said Bree, nodding. "Honestly, I didn't think I'd be this worn out after just one show. Are you heading to the cast and crew after party?"

Kitty shook her head. "Dinner with the Browns," she said.

"Oh right!" exclaimed Bree. "The big first meet. Good luck!"

"I really hope all goes well," Kitty told her.

"They already got to know overweight, angst-filled Kitty on stage," she joked. "I'm sure anything is a step up from that."

"Seriously," Kitty laughed. "I seriously can't understand how people have weight issues. A couple hours in this suit and I know I'd do whatever was in my power until I dropped a few pounds."

"It's a motivation thing," Bree said, turning to a mirror and removing some of her stage make-up. "I mean, we've worked really hard to stay in shape and keep looking healthy."

"Some people are just lazy, I guess," Kitty added. "I don't know how they excuse themselves."

"This is a new low," said Marley from behind them, causing them both to turn around, startled. She was standing in front of them, with an angry look on her face. Julie stood beside her, disappointedly looking back from Bree to Kitty. "Even for you guys," Marley added.

"Marley, we were just--" Kitty began.

"Calling overweight people lazy and making fun of eating disorders?" said Marley. "Yeah, I heard all of it."

"It wasn't like that," Bree said. She turned to Julie. "You know we didn't mean--" she began.

"You know," said Julie, "this doesn't surprise me from Bree. But Kitty... I thought after all this time, being put in that suit would've taught you to be more empathetic and not a bigger bitch."

"Julie!" Kitty exclaimed, her jaw dropping in shock at her friend's sudden disapproval. She turned to Marley and said, "Look, I'm sorry if what I said was offensive. You have to know that I'd never--"

"You'd never what, Kitty?" Marley asked, rolling her eyes. She had shouted, forcing everyone in the room quiet and turning all heads towards them. Marley didn't seem to notice or care. "Is there anything you wouldn't do at this point?" she asked. "I mean, you've belittled me and my mom. You did so for months until you had me thinking I was gaining weight. You even made my clothes tighter yourself to have me convinced I was getting fat."

"Wait, what?" said Ryder, looking at Jake, who didn't seem at all surprised.

"I don't--" Kitty started, shocked. She didn't dare look around the room, but inside she prayed that the one person who she couldn't stand to lose, John, wasn't listening.

"And did you forget that it was you who pressured me into making myself vomit?" Marley went on, her voice shaking and her eyes heavy with tears. "I tried so hard to forgive you because you helped me out with the superhero stuff and you apologized and I thought maybe it was my fault for not being confident enough but the truth is that you could've killed me and you didn't care. I mean, you still make the kind of comments that tore me down, one year later. You're never going to change."

Marley took a deep breath and stormed out of the room, not really knowing what had come over her. Julie followed after her.

Kitty turned around just in time to see John walking out, so she ran as fast as her suit would allow. "John!" she called out to him in the hallway. There was no trace of Marley or Julie.

John turned, slowly, and said, "You never told me about the puking thing..." he said softly.

"I sort of hoped to but that behind me," she said with shame. Her face was red and puffy, her eyes burning. "I'd really like for us to talk about this but I need to get out of my suit so that we don't keep your parents waiting."

"Actually..." murmured John, not meeting her eyes. "I'm really tired, so, uh... I think it'd be best to just call tonight off... See you in class on Monday..." He turned around and left her standing there, trembling as she tried to ignore the fact that he'd just shoved her aside like that.

***

"Wait up, Marley," said Julie, her high heels impeding her from chasing after Marley, who was in flats, quickly enough.

"I don't want to talk," Marley mumbled.

"Then you'll just have to listen," she responded. Marley turned around, her arms crossed, and waited, not making eye contact. "You have every right," Julie began, "to be upset. Kitty lied to you and manipulated you and you gave her another chance but she let you down." Marley nodded, wiping tears from her eyes. "But..." Julie went on. "This isn't the time to let it bring you down. I know what you must be feeling and--"

"No you don't," she interrupted her.

"Maybe not exactly," said Julie. "But last year, Bree had me convinced I needed cortisone injections when I hurt my ankle. She said it'd be better to have them instead of getting it checked out at the hospital. And I thought it was best for glee club, the squad, and me."

"I hate to say this," said Marley, who was surprised at hearing that this had occurred, "but Bree may have done it to help. Kitty did what she did with horrible intentions in mind. She wanted to destroy me and she almost did."

"But she didn't," said Julie. "And I am in no way asking you to forgive her because I don't know if I would if I were you. But I am begging you to use this to make you stronger, not weaker. You guys got to see me in my manic stage but you don't know what it's like when I'm at the other end of things. I know depression, and trust me... It's not pretty." Julie turned, leaving Marley to reflect on her words as she headed back to costume removal. She knew she'd probably be miserable at the after party, so she decided to head home instead.

After changing, she headed out to the main entrance of the school, where family and friends were waiting. She hadn't had a chance to see anyone yet, so she was surprised when a warm voice greeted her.

"Finally a mean girl role," Cory said as he approached her with their dad. "You know, I was wondering when you'd get a role that actually fit you." She rolled her eyes as she ran to him and hugged him.

"I've missed you so much!" Julie exclaimed. "How's college?"

"It's great," he said. "But I want to talk about you. How's glee club?" Julie smiled as she began telling him about everything that had gone on so far. She was so happy to see her big brother that she almost failed to notice Sam's absence as they left. Almost.

***

"And then Joe ended up winning," Julie was saying when her family reached their house and walked down the front yard to the door. "So I won, too. And I made Bree kiss Joe. Funniest thing is I think she was really into it!"

Cory laughed as their dad unlocked the front door. "Veronica and Dan are going to arrive soon," he told them as they walked in. "Would you all prefer to head out somewhere nice or eat here?"

Julie started making her way to the living room. "I don't know," she called out. "Maybe we can just order--" She stopped mid-sentence when she saw a woman standing in the living room. The woman faced the fireplace, over which pictures of Julie and her family rested.

Cory followed behind Julie, finding her standing their speechless. He also spotted the woman, who turned around with a picture in hand. "Hi..." she said softly.

Julie tried to speak but words would not come out. Cory, who had always been very passive, suddenly became alert. He put an arm in front of Julie, placing her behind him and turned to the woman. "You have no business here," he said. Without turning away from the lady he called out, "Dad!"

The woman tried to speak but she couldn't because their father had walked in and immediately kicked her out. "Out," he told her. "How'd you even break in here? You know what? It doesn't matter. Out."

"I just wanted to congratulate her," said the woman. "She did so well in her show. She's so beautiful and so talented and--"

"Out," he repeated, grabbing her arm and forcing her out of the living room as a shocked Julie stood frozen in place. Cory soothed her hair as he watched their father drag the woman out.

"I'm so sorry Cory!" the woman shouted on her way out. "I love you both!"

The door slam shut and they heard the locks all being set. As their father returned to the living room, Cory helped Julie onto the couch.

"Are you okay?" Cory asked her as the three took a seat together.

"I..." Julie murmured. "I don't even know what just happened. Was that..?"

Cory and Mr. Vasquez looked at each other. "Yes, it was..." Mr. Vasquez told her.

"Wow..." was all Julie could manage.

"How did she get inside?" Cory asked him.

"We haven't changed the locks since we moved in here," he answered. "She must have kept a spare key. I'm so sorry you both had to go through that..."

"Can't believe she had the nerve to show up at my musical..." Julie said, shaking her head slowly. "I wonder how she knew about it..."

"We can cancel on Veronica," said Mr. Vasquez.

"No, don't," said Julie, shaking her head and thinking about the advice she'd given Marley. "I'm not going to let that stranger stir up my life and that starts now."

Her dad nodded proudly and Cory looked unsure. He headed upstairs to shower as their father received a call from Veronica.

"She says they are having car problems," said Mr. Vasquez. "You mind if I head out for a few minutes and help them out?" Julie shook her head.

"I've got Cory here," she said. "We'll be fine. Go ahead."

 Julie slowly made her way to the piano, knees shivering. The truth was that Julie was very shaken up. When she heard the front door shut and the shower running, she sighed, immediately pulling up her phone and calling the first person who came to mind. As she connected on the line with John, she realized what she was doing and hung up. She didn't have him anymore.

***

When Marley got home, she thanked her mother for the flowers she'd given her and headed up to her room. She tossed her phone aside, for it had been buzzing all night with worried texts and apologies from her friends and non-friends. Instead of reading them, she pulled open her old, tattered laptop and logged in to check her email. Surprisingly, she caught one from Jake.

Marley,

What's going on? You haven't answered any of our calls or messages. I understand ignoring me or Kitty... But Ryder, Unique and Amity haven't done anything to harm you. I'm sorry for what happened. I know how much you hurt a year ago so I understand why this musical brought it all back. I'm worried about you. You have too much talent and determination to let things like these bring you down. I know you've pretty much given up on me and on any hope of there being an 'us' again, so I'll stop bugging you about that. But I still care about you and I'd really like to at least mend our friendship. I want to be there for you through these rough times.

Sincerely,

Jake P.

P. S. I really do mean it sincerely. I know we can still fix us, at least as friends.

Marley sighed, closing down her computer and grabbing her jacket. Quietly, she made her way downstairs and out the front door. She walked down her front lawn and took a stroll down the sidewalk.

***

Julie took a deep breath and called a different number.

The line rung several times before finally sending her to voicemail. She hung up and tried again three more times before giving up and leaving a message.

"Sam, hey..." she began. "Umm, I'm sorry for bothering you. I know it's late and you're probably busy but, uh... I really need to talk to someone. My mom just dropped by for the first time in fifteen years and I... I'm kind of a mess. So, uh, just contact me when you can... Bye."

Not two minutes later, she received a text. Sam: I think we should maybe put some distance between us. I don't think this friendship is going to work out.

Her eyes stung. What? This was unlike Sam. He'd never desert her after hearing that voicemail.

Nevertheless, she was alone. It was just her and the music now. She put her hands over the keys and instinctively played a song.

***

Marley: It's probably what's best for you... I only want the best for you... And if I'm not the best, then you're stuck. I tried to sever ties and I ended up with wounds to bind. Like your pouring salt in my cuts.

She passed by several houses, kicking a rock on the ground with her head hanging low and her hands in her jacket pocket.

Marley: And I just ran out of Band-Aids. I don't even know where to start. Cause you can bandage the damage... You never really can fix a heart...

***

As Cory turned off the water, he heard the faint sound of music followed by his sister's powerful vocals. He stood there for a second, a towel wrapped around his waist, and listened.

Julie: Even though I know what's wrong. How could I be so sure? If you never say what you feel... I must've held your hand so tight. You didn't have the will to fight. I guess you needed more time to heal.

Cory pressed his lips together as he started putting clothes on. Julie had been so immersed in the music that she didn't notice when the water stopped running.

Julie: Baby I just ran out of Band-Aids. I don't even know where to start. Cause you can bandage the damage... You never really can fix a heart... Oooh... Oooh... Oooh oooh ooh ooh, ooh oooh yeah.

Marley noticed how far from home she'd walked and, suddenly feeling unsafe, turned around and headed back.

Marley and Julie: Oooh, ooh, ooh, oooh, oooh ooh oh oh...
Marley: Yeah... You must be a miracle worker
Marley and Julie: Swearing up and down you can fix what's been broken

Cory headed down the stairs just as the front door opened and his father, along with Veronica and Dan, walked in. They all fell silent upon hearing Julie's voice.

Julie: Please don't... get my... hopes up...  No, no. Baby tell me how could you... be so cruel?
Marley: It's like you're pouring salt in my cuts.

Marley stopped suddenly as she heard footsteps behind her. Meanwhile, Julie felt a presence behind her and turned, finding four smiling faces watching her. Self-consciously, she ended the song early and stood.

"Alright," said Julie. "I guess we should have dinner now?"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13.1K 709 29
"Well, I don't like living under your spotlight. Maybe if you treat me right you won't have to worry." Violette Donovan and Quinn Fabray have always...
2.8K 19 38
Based on Season Two... What happens when Rachel's sister Ashleigh Berry tries out for Glee Club, but will they accept her? Rachel's jealousy gets in...
54.6K 696 38
Arica Dayton was the new girl at McKinley High, a mute. She had a rough past and wanted to make her future better. She had lost all hope, until she j...
5K 61 47
Based on Season 2 of Glee... After a tough loss at Regionals, the Glee Club is back as the underdogs of McKinley High. When the school is faced with...