Who We Were | ✓

Von happierplaces

[ COMPLETED ] a short story Like every high school student would dream of, Everly Clark and Ricardo Hans had... Mehr

who we were
prologue
chapter one
chapter two
chapter three
chapter four
chapter five
chapter six
chapter eight
chapter nine
chapter ten
chapter eleven
chapter twelve
chapter thirteen
chapter fourteen
chapter fifteen
epilogue
final note

chapter seven

1.9K 205 73
Von happierplaces

. . .

Everly Clark

NO, IT couldn't be. This was probably some silly old prank or something. I mean there is a huge chance that R.H. doesn't stand for Ricky Hans. It could stand for Ronaldo Henderson or something. He couldn't have found me, he hadn't for nine years so why now?

Wrong.

I can't believe I was so stupid. Did I really think that I could escape Ricky? He was like a lion, he was the king of beasts and he would never miss his prey. I will never be able to run from this, from him.

I sighed and looked at the check for five hundred thousand dollars I had earned last night. I picked it up and twirled it in my hands, making sure it was real and not my imagination. The Gwen Lights' mysterious husband had bought my painting, surprising I know.

I tilted my head to the side, remembering last nights events. The way I had smiled and laughed the entire night, feeling like a young teenager again. I was living in a fantasy but reality had caught up once again.

The sun was shining brightly and shined through my windows, making my little house look a lot more pleasant. Both my parents were on the way and luckily were both sober. I hadn't seen them both in a while and I wanted to tell them so much. Believe it or not, I still needed them.

They knew who I was before and after Scottie. They knew every part of me and that calmed me a bit. I needed someone who understood me, we all went through that together. Sure I had it worse but I still needed someone.

But, I will never be able to trust and look at them the same way ever again. Sure I forgave them, I wasn't big on grudges but I will never forget. The way they sat there waiting for Scottie and his men to be done with me. How selfish they were to not even try calling the cops even when they had the chance too. Or how nine years later and they still hadn't learned from their mistake.

I heard the doorknob jiggle and open making me turn my head swiftly to face them. Both my parents walked in, looking even worse since the last time I saw them. They looked older, way too old for their age.

"Mom," I paused to look at her before looking at dad, "Dad."

They said nothing but proceeded to make themselves comfortable on my couch. They then began to look around the house, small frowns on both of their faces.

"You both look amazing!" I said with fake enthusiasm, trying to make the mood lighter. Believe it or not, their frowns deepened.

"You got money," dad finally spoke, breaking the tense silence.

I looked at the ground, feeling disappointed all over again. Just once I wanted him to ask how I was, not about how much money I had earned. But, all his life depended on was money. That's all he ever cared about.

"Jesus Christ, Ricky you're freaking rich!" I gaped at him, my jaw nearly dangling.

"No," he paused, "My family's rich."'

"Y-You're still rich!" I repeated, still staring at him.

"Guess now I can spoil you," he murmured, smiling shyly at me.

I mean he had the audacity to ask for money when all he did was end up spending it on things that were destroying our family. Actually, things that had destroyed our family.

I looked up darlingly, looking him straight in his eyes, "Yes actually, a painting of mine was bought for half a million,"

He quirked an eyebrow, "That's surprising, I thought you sucked at your job?"

I swallowed the lump in my throat, "Guess not,"

"You look tense," mom finally spoke up, her head tilted to the side. She pursed her lips and an angry expression took over her face.

"Everly Clark what are you hiding from us?" she demanded. Ah, one of my mothers few talents. She could read anybody like a book, no matter how hard you tried she would figure you out in a matter of seconds.

I licked my lips and walked over to them, sitting on the couch parallel to them. The note was still in my hand and I opened it up, placing in on the coffee table in front of them. My mom picked it up and read over it quickly before handing it to my dad.

He did the same as her, his bushy eyebrows furrowing, "What the hell is this Everly?"

"I think you and I both know who this is," I responded, leaning back into the couch. They both clenched their jaw, their eyes stormy but with a hint of fear.

"There is no way it's him," my mom let out a dry laugh, "Nine years Everly, he couldn't have found you. He probably forgot about it a while ago."

My mom knew she was wrong. Everyone knew that she was wrong. We all were thinking the same exact thing but was too afraid to admit it.

"He can't come at us now. He has no case," my father remarked, his tone hard.

"Dad, he sure as hell has a case," I let out a bitter laugh, "We destroyed their freaking company, remember?"

He became tense, "Not we, just you,"

I bit my lip to keep from exploding, "Of course, it's all my fault,"

He ignored my sarcasm, "Well what are you going to do? You aren't going to throw us under the bus right?"

I didn't respond.

Mom let out a sob, "C'mon Everly honey, you wouldn't do that to us! You love us and we love you, we sacrificed everything for you. I am your mother Everly,"

Mom elbowed my dad, giving him a look. He glared at my mother before turning to me with a sweetly sick smile.

"Everly baby, I love you so much you know that? You shouldn't tell a word about our past to anyone okay?" his tone turned from loving to hard in less than thirty seconds. I looked up at him with wide eyes, not believing what he was saying.

"Okay," I agreed, not meeting their eyes. To be honest I wasn't sure anymore what to believe and who to trust. I couldn't even trust myself anymore.

They both nodded stiffly and left without another word. I released the breath I didn't know I was holding and buried my head in my hands.

I let out a string of curse words that would make a sailor blush under my breath before groaning loudly.

My phone's ringtone made me jump in surprise before I glared at it. I quickly picked it up, not even bothering to see who it was.

"Hello," my voice came out harsher than I intended.

"Whoa, what's got your panties in a twist?" responded a cool voice that I had gotten so familiar with.

"G-Gabriel," I said quickly, letting out a nervous laugh.

"The one and only, what's up?"

"Nothing much," I responded again, looking at the note.

"Nothing? Evy you should be celebrating, having the time of your life!" he screamed, making me move the phone away from my ear, "I mean you just got half a freaking million dollars from some rich fella!"

"Right, my bad," I chortled.

"Oh no. Please tell me that whole 'I don't have fun' thing was just a phase?" he asked, his voice laced with mischief.

I was about to respond when the doorbell dang, I scrunched my eyebrows in confusion and stood up.

"Hey Gabriel, I'll call you later," I didn't hear what he said next because I had already ended the call. Something was off and I knew it. I put my hand on the doorknob and slowly opened it up.

I regretted it the second I did it. Nothing in this world would've prepared me for this moment.

"Oh my God," I said, putting my hand over my mouth.

. . .

a/n: whooo i am getting it on with these cliffhangers am i right? well, i hope you all enjoyed this chapter !!

i'm going to mexico (yay!) tomorrow so updates will be a little messed up!!

anywho, who do you think is the mysterious person is at the door?

have an amazing day, peeps!

Weiterlesen

Das wird dir gefallen

2.2M 41.2K 25
How far would you go to protect the ones you love? A successful architect with a promising career in London, Brian's world spins out of control when...
65 2 5
This story talk about a young woman who lose her hopes in everything she does, even in love. One night she meet a mysterious, nice, kind and handsome...
783K 18.3K 32
"I remember his face, his eyes that begged for forgiveness, his body as it shook with anger and emotion. I remember how my world fell apart right bef...
7.7K 231 23
"I never planned on falling in love with you, but I did, and oh what an adventure it has been." When an unlikely pair find themselves instantly draw...