The Weight of the Universe |...

By getbuckyplums

▷Set in Infinity War and Endgame It's all been leading to this... Six Infinity Sto... More

Introduction
Part I
Prelude
Prologue
0. Help in Norway
1. Travel Delays
2. Strange After All
3. Undying Fidelity
5. Broken Promise
6. Space Visitors
7. The Next Step
8. Home sweet Home
9. Medicine
10. Reunited
11. Nidavellir
12. The Battle of Wakanda
13. Stormbreaker
14. A new Hope
15. The End Game
Epilogue
Author's Note
It's out!
Part II
Prologue
16. Aftermath
17. No Trust
18. Inevitable
19. A World Alone
20. Liabilities
21. Lost and Found
22. A new Family
23. Panic Room
24. Better By Myself
25. Silver Lining
26. Time Travel
27. Team Up
28. Back to the Past
29. The Time Heist
30. The Battle of New York
31. Frigga's Last Day
32. Already Gone
33. Under Attack
34. Avengers Assemble
35. Together
36. One Last Fight
37. Goodbye
38. End of the Journey
Epilogue
Acknowledgments & Trivia
AU: A soul for a soul

4. Welcome Back

8.7K 435 302
By getbuckyplums

N E W  Y O R K

Present

"Okay, how about we take a break? I'm slowly getting tired." Eve Farrell Barnes pants slightly as the electricity still dances around her body, the noisy fizzle rushing into her ears. Fatigue is spreading through her veins while her fists loosen up. "The new powers require a lot of energy."

"Your body is probably still adapting to the great force. And it'll adjust better if you train and use it more often." Stephen Strange strictly ignores her request and skids a mandala force field at her without a warning. Quickly dodging the attack, Eve avoids getting hit by the golden energy circle and it bursts into sparks when it bounces against the wall of the Mirror Dimension. They have been training for two days now and it's been exhausting as hell.

"Okay, first off, thank you for the warning." She grimaces and shoots a voltage at him that he blocks with a force field as good as he can. "Second off, I hate training in the Mirror World– "

"Dimension." He corrects her and flies up with the help of the Cloak of Levitation before he creates Eldritch Whips. "And you're clearly holding back."

"Whatever." The soldier dodges his whip strike and forms a blast of electricity, blowing him away but leaving him unharmed. The cloak seems really helpful and protects him well. Eve had to get used to the fact that it's alive. "I just don't want to hurt the person who helped me. And I really appreciate your training and all but can we stop for today, please? I feel nauseous every time we're in here."

Hesitating, Doctor Strange reluctantly gives in and flies down to the ground. With his help, they leave the Mirror Dimension that still creeps Eve out. She hasn't even dared to try whatever he does with the sling ring. "All right. Wong wanted to have lunch anyway."

"Any progress?" Wong asks them when they return to the real world, awaiting them. His first priority is the security of the Sanctum Sanctorum and Eve Farrell Barnes doesn't exactly mean safety. The longer she stays, the more danger they're in.

"She's still struggling." Stephen's answer sounds like it's from a strict teacher and the cloak flies away, back to its place while Strange's attire changes from his blue robe to normal street clothes. Eve rolls her eyes.

"It's also only been two days. Back in the days, it took me months to control my first powers. Now it's different." She defends herself and shrugs. "Besides, we're gonna take a lunch break. You two should go get it, I'll wait here. It's too risky to be seen again after the whole disaster in England."

Wong nods as they walk down the stairs, "Wise decision. We are only in need of money."

"Seriously? You don't have any money?" Stephen Strange frowns at his friend and partner.

"Attachment to the material is detachment from the spiritual."

"I'll tell the guys at the deli. Maybe they'll make you a metaphysical Ham and Rye." Money had never been a problem for Stephen Strange before the accident, he never expected it to ever become one. Glancing at the former Avenger, he hopes that she has some money. "What about you?"

"I had some money left in my bag that was on the ship, so yeah..."

"Oh, wait, wait, wait." Wong intervenes and rummages around in his pockets, taking out the found money. "I think I have 200."

Stephen lifts a brow, "Dollars?"

"Rupees." Eve has never seen Wong smile that brightly, let alone smile at all in her presence. Doctor Strange sighs.

"Which is?"

"Uh, a buck and a half." That's definitely not enough for lunch for three. Continuing the walk down the stairs, Stephen decides to invest his last money in food.

"What do you two want?" He asks and Eve shrugs, actually thinking it's amusing how done Stephen is with everyone around him most of the time.

"I don't really care to be honest. Just choose anything."

Wong smiles contently and is already looking forward to lunch. "I wouldn't say no to a Tuna Melt."

All of sudden, something right behind the three crashes violently through the ceiling and the ground trembles. Eve immediately covers her head as she almost loses her balance, stumbling over her own feet. Turning around, a familiar beam faces her and she frowns when the light and fog disappears. The wooden stairs have shattered into a trail of fragments and there's a huge hole in the middle of the stairway now.

As Wong creates Tao Mandalas to grant protection and Stephen summons his cloak, changing back into his blue robe, Eve is the first one to run to the hole. The beam, the light– she has seen this before. And if her memory doesn't disappoint her and her instincts are right, then this can only be the beam of the Bifrost.

"Oh, my God..." Eve mumbles in astonishment and her heart almost tears her apart from relief and joy when she faces the intruder. It's been years since they have seen each other, her guilt has fed on her the whole time. Jumping down into the hole, not caring about the dust and still remaining sparks, Eve meets for the very first time one of her closest friends again. The long lost Avenger. "Bruce!"

Bruce Banner only wears his broad pants while his bare chest still carries what is left of the Hulk's green color, just like his eyes. Aside from his rough look, his appearance has generally changed throughout the years. His hair is shorter and his curls are gone, the black color has gained a grey tone.

While Stephen and Wong are still standing warily on the stairs, Eve wants to help Bruce up but his face worries her. Pure fear and anxiety are mirrored in his expression while the green on his skin disappears. "What happened??"

"Thanos is coming." Bruce breathes out and Eve has never heard the scientist that scared. "He's coming."

Although the soldier has no idea what he's talking about, she immediately grows anxious. Bruce Banner has never been afraid of anything but the Hulk, so this must be something grave. Doctor Strange and Wong frown and share a glance before Stephen asks in utter confusion.

"Who?"

***

"Why is your hair black? And what are you wearing??" Bruce asks, referring to Eve's grey robe which is similar to Wong's and Stephen's. They couldn't offer any other clothes, so the soldier has to wear this now.

"Well, you missed a lot." She mutters while the scientist tries to calm down. His concerns still circle around Thor and Aurora, feeling bad for leaving them behind. And the blanket around him doesn't help at all, neither does the cup of tea in his hands. At least he got Stephen's clothes since he was previously only wearing ripped pants.

"Understatement of the year." Stephen Strange comments behind Eve and she groans. His reaction makes Bruce frown at her, demanding answers.

"Shut up, Stephen." Eve just responds and her eyes grow softer when they look at Bruce. The poor Avenger has no idea. "Well, let's start with some good news. We could heal Bucky without you, Hydra is defeated and I got married."

"What?? That's great– "

"The Avengers are now on... slightly difficult terms. Tony and I don't talk anymore. Neither do Steve and Tony." Eve admits and shock is written on Bruce's face. Yet, he recovers quickly and shakes his head wildly. Aurora and Thor may be dead, he has to act now if he wants to avenge them and save the world from the Mad Titan.

"Well, we don't have time." Bruce stands up and puts the blanket and tea aside, surprising Eve with his sudden determination. "You and Tony, and also Steve, had a lot of arguments in the past, you guys always bickered. I'm sure you can make it up to each other again as always. We have to get Tony now, wherever he is."

"What?" Her eyes widen and chest tightens. She's not prepared to face Tony again. "Bruce, it's different compared to our other arguments, really– "

"Thor might be dead, Eve!" The Avenger suddenly yells, guilt lingering in his mind. "Heimdall sent me away while Thor was left on the ship along with Aurora! These fights between you and Tony can't matter more than the lives of the whole universe, we have to act now. I've told you what Thanos is capable of with the Infinity Stones, what he's already done with only one and now he has even two. The threat is too big and he's coming to Earth."

Bruce Banner barely gets upset but this time, it's really severe. Eve spots the guilt in his eyes and she knows damn well how he's feeling. Sighing, Eve gives in, knowing that he's right. The Sokovia Accords can't be the reason for the end of the world and Thanos sounds like the worst enemy they've ever had. It's time for the Avengers to assemble, the world needs them.

"You're right. Let's get Tony. Stephen, you think you can find him?"

Stephen Strange nods. "Already did. Social media follows him everywhere. I can create a portal, it'll be easier and faster to get him then."

"Okay, good." She presses her lips together and Bruce and her wait for Doctor Strange to create the portal. Her heart almost leaps to her throat at the thought alone of meeting Tony again. Eve feels like she has disappointed him by acting against the Accords but this was her choice. And she stands by it.

The portal opens and on the other side, Eve spots the park. Oh, how long hasn't she been in New York? It's always been her home. Hiding behind Bruce, the two Avengers let Stephen Strange step out first.

"Tony Stark, I'm Doctor Stephen Strange. I need you to come with me." Getting straight to the point, Doctor Strange doesn't sugar coat the urgency and ignores the reactions to the suddenly appearing portal. "Oh, uh, congratulations on the wedding, by the way."

Although the appearance of the stranger seems surreal, Tony remains calm. "I'm sorry, you giving out tickets or something?"

"We need your help. Look, it's not overselling to say that the fate of the universe is at stake." Stephen simply ignores the joke and Tony Stark frowns.

"And who's 'we'?"

"Hey, Tony." Now Bruce dares to step through the portal and his heart warms up in relief to see Tony again.

Tony Stark's eyes widen in shock, not believing that his long lost friend has returned, well and alive. The billionaire has spent years trying to find Bruce again and now he's back. Finally. "Bruce..."

"Pepper." Bruce greets the woman with a nod and she returns it with a taken aback 'Hi'. Completely happy to reunite with Tony, Bruce goes in for a hug while Tony still processes his return.

"You okay?" The billionaire asks his friend with concern and Eve is almost scared to leave the Sanctum Sanctorum and walk through the portal into the park. She can never bear it when Tony hates her and is mad at her, it's almost torture.

Yet, the Cloak of Levitation pushes her through the portal to her surprise, a shriek escaping her lips and now Tony notices her presence. It almost shocks him more to see her again, the person who's been his family before leaving him just like everyone else did. His glance darts at her as Tony slowly lets go of Bruce, taking a step towards her while Bruce, Stephen, and Pepper remain silent at the incredible tension.

"Hey," Eve mumbles almost weakly, not able to let another word slip through her lips.

Tony narrows his eyes, ignoring the pain spreading through his chest. He has trusted her, counted on her– but it was all in vain. "The last time I saw you, you were on the news about your sudden outburst in England. And the time before that in Romania months ago, but I also only heard that on SHIELD's line. The last time I saw you personally was two years ago."

"Wait, what??" Bruce hadn't realized how serious their argument is until now but Tony is only focused on Eve's reaction.

"You know why I had to leave." She defends herself. "They were gonna arrest me for not supporting the accords."

"Whatever. You could have still contacted me to let me know you were at least okay. Did you really think that I would betray you?"

Although his worries about her gives her hope for a functional team again, Eve still sighs. "Did you really think they wouldn't indirectly use you to get Bucky, Wanda and me?"

Tony's eyes are narrowed at her, the air between them getting rather thin and the quiet and uncomfortable tension doesn't make it any better. Stark lets out a tired sigh. There's a lot to talk about but it's not the time. Not now.

"Let's save the world first."

A/N- Excited?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

97.7K 2.1K 114
Welcome to The Blue Series. This is the Marvel Universe like you've never seen it before. Follow your favourite characters as they navigate tumultuou...
408K 10.9K 41
"Did you know" "Loki..." "DID YOU KNOW!!!" "yes....." "WHY.!....ARE YOU JUST LIKE FATHER!" "no... You're wrong, Loki..... I love you with all of my h...
101K 2.3K 36
"This plan is crazy." "It could be worse." "It's based on a movie!" "It could also be a plan that...
48K 2.1K 77
LokixFem!ReaderxBucky IMPORTANT: A little message to those who may not have read the full description: You end up with one of them, not both. This is...