The Legendary Female Strategi...

By Celestial_Immortal

Eight years after the Great War, the world is now ruled by four kingdoms. On the surface, there is peace and... More

Chapter 1 - A Simple Peasant Girl
Chapter 2 - Facing fate with Steam Buns and Candied Apples
Chapter 3 - Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder
Chapter 4 - With Silver Needles Comes Great Responsibility
Chapter 5 - The Faint Bitter Scent of Tea
Chapter 6 - When the Dragon Calls, There is No Choice But to Answer
Chapter 7 - Anything Can Happen During an Emperor's Banquet
Chapter 8 - The Person Called Hui Yi
Chapter 9 - The Meeting of Two Individuals
Chapter 10 - The Beginning of the Emperor's Game
Chapter 11 - A Morning in the City
Chapter 12 - Captured Once Again
Chapter 13 - Oranges and Food Brings Forth Friendships
Chapter 14 - A Familiar Face
Chapter 15 - The First Night with the Emperor
Chapter 16 - A Bright Sunny Day Often Brings Bad Memories
Chapter 17 - A Tale of Two Birds
Chapter 18 - Ru Qiang's Deal with the Devil
Chapter 19 - Fruit Dessert is Best Served Last
Chapter 20 - A Hint of the Calm Before the Storm
* Information List (Chapters 1 - 20) *
Chapter 21 - Behind a Mask Hides Another
Chapter 22 - A Dagger Hidden Within the Darkness and One's Heart
Chapter 24 - The Illusion of Escape
Chapter 25 - The Lie of a Liar
Chapter 26 - Planning for Destruction
Chapter 27 - A Way to Trick Them All
Chapter 28 - Dutifully Carrying Out a Paid Service
Chapter 29 - Onward They Continue
Chapter 30 - Even the Quietest Man Can Be Quite Stubborn
Chapter 31 - Being A Potato Has Its Benefits
Chapter 32 - New Territory Always Brings New Troubles
Chapter 33 - Even the Scent of Flowers Can't Mask the Coldness of Winter
Chapter 34 - A Puzzle Without Its Pieces Are Unsolvable
Chapter 35 - The Color Of Black Hides Many Secrets
Chapter 36 - From A Fellow Stubborn Individual To Another
Chapter 37 - For Foodies Like Us
Chapter 38 - A Complete and Utter Mess
Chapter 39 - A Faint Flicker of the Past
Chapter 40 - The Self-Proclaimed Assassin
Chapter 41 - The Veiled Young Master
~Announcement~
Chapter 42 - A Fateful Encounter in a Small City
Chapter 43 - A Lonesome Heart
Chapter 44 - Poison of the Past
Chapter 45 - The Wandering Village
Chapter 46 - Secrets Buried Deeply in the Night
Chapter 47 - A Race Against Time
Chapter 48 - The Truth Intertwined with Despair

Chapter 23 - The Truth Behind Her Mask

25.6K 1.5K 351
By Celestial_Immortal

A/N: Warning! This chapter contains explicit material that may not be suited for young readers.

* * * * *

The night was pitch black as Feng Yao walked down the city streets. When she reached the corner, she abruptly changed direction and headed down a familiar street.

Everything looked the same as usual; a few darkened shops and buildings, the occasional stray animal hiding in the corners, and the sight of the uneven muddy road greeted her eyes.

She glanced over towards a small, abandoned shack on the side. It had used to be such an easy building to spot, but now it had been overtaken by weeds and wild flora that made it blend into the background. The few stray vines climbing over the windows and walls made the house look almost untouched since the last time she'd been here.

Almost.

Her eyes flickered over towards a hidden stump within the tall grass. Feng Yao briefly paused before making her way to it. The small tree she was so used to seeing in front of the old man's clinic had already been chopped down. Most likely, it had been taken by trespassers who had stolen it for firewood.

I wonder what that old man would say if he saw how his clinic looked like now. Was it really worth it leaving behind this small illusion of happiness to enter the merciless world of politics once again?

There was a strange sort of sadness hidden behind her masked expression.

Was it worth it, old man? Did you really hate me that much?

A memory flashed in her mind.

Stumbling from hunger and exhaustion, the legs of the little girl finally gave way. She collapsed into the middle of the street as the burning sun laughed at her. Her lungs ached and her heart was pumping wildly as her body tried to stay alive. But it was almost as though she was already past the point of saving.

Not even one of the passing citizens of the city spared her a glance as they all pretended not to notice the dying child laying at the edge of the street. They knew that it was better to not be involved in such trouble.

She could feel her eyelids getting heavier and heavier as she felt sleep begin to overcome her. The logical part of her brain warned her that if she gave in, she'd never wake up again.

But there was nothing keeping her in this world. She had no family. No friends. No one to remember. And no one to remember her. What was even the point of living?

Just as she was about to finally let go of her consciousness, a child's voice suddenly called out as they touched her shoulder filling her with unfamiliar warmth.

"Hey! Are you okay!?"

At that moment, the wind suddenly picked up and blew a cold gust of air across Feng Yao's skin. It was as thought it was whispering a secret that only she could hear.

Her memory from earlier was forgotten as she tilted her head up to look at the stars that somehow seemed dimmer than usual. But perhaps this could work in her favor.

A wry smile came across her lips as she bent down towards the tree stump and began to dig in the dirt exactly at a right angle to its base.

Her hands soon became stained dark with dirt almost the same color as if her hands were to be stained with blood. But still, she continued to search in the dirt until she finally felt something. Feeling the object buried deep in the ground, she quickly began to clear away the dirt around it before pulling it out.

It was a small black box about the size of a quarter of her palm. With its size, no wonder no one had been able to find it before.

There were no engravings, ornaments, or any other indication of what could be inside. It really looked just like a simple and insignificant black box. When Feng Yao lifted it up to the moonlight, she couldn't even spot the crack for opening it up. But seeing this, she only gave a dry chuckle.

Her fingers expertly moved to the bottom and tapped on it twice before pressing a secret button on the left side. Immediately after, her other hand held onto the top of the box and twisted it until she heard a click.

Silently, Feng Yao lifted the top off to reveal a single red pill sitting solemnly in the center of the inside. It was as if it had been eagerly awaiting her return.

"I'll be counting on you, little buddy..."

The soft whisper that escaped through her lips quickly evaporated into the breeze as she picked up the blood-red pill and inserted it carefully into a hidden pocket within her inner robes. Right after that, she quickly stuffed the empty box back into the ground and covered it with dirt while taking care to rearrange the grass roots around it to make the area seem undisturbed.

As soon as she was finished, she stood up and began walking down the road again. She didn't once look back behind her at the old man's clinic.

The pill felt ice cold against her skin. It was just a small object, yet it held an incredible trick. Feng Yao had personally created it a long time ago by grinding red flower petals into a paste that looked no different than blood. She had been hoping to create an extra pill with the red roses she grew in the palace, but it seemed like there was no more time to do that.

Feng Yao discretely glanced around her to make sure no one was around before leaving the area. She molded herself into the shadows, not allowing for her figure to be seen as she silently left.

There was only one thing left to do before she escaped from the city. She quickly made her way back through the streets towards the main area of the kingdom. As she glanced upwards, she noticed that the skies were getting lighter.

I have to hurry. There's not much time left.

Picking up her pace, Feng Yao hurried along the path. But as she turned another corner, she was slightly surprised to see a large amount of people crowding around something.

Why are there so many people this early?

But as she got closer, her feet gradually slowed to a heavy stop. Her expression had slightly stiffened as she stared at the sight in front of her that had already awakened this entire section of the city.

Hanging from high above a wooden pole was the dead body of the old man's corpse. The skin had already turned an ugly shade of yellow as flies swarmed loudly around it while the body slightly swung back and forth from the rope hanging around the neck. It was an eerie scene to behold as the lifeless eyes of the old man stared blankly back at all the shocked people below as if he was still alive.

"Oh my goodness! What happened!?"

"Isn't that the imperial physician!? Who dared to kill him so boldly?"

"Shh! If the Emperor hasn't reacted, doesn't that mean...?"

Feng Yao listened as the people's exclamations and speculations echoed in the crisp, morning air. She didn't say anything as she continued staring at the old man's body.

Your Majesty, did you really have to do this just to warn me?

There was an indescribable ache in her heart. The old man truly didn't know anything. Yet, somehow he still managed to end up with this kind of ending.

His last words flashed in Feng Yao's mind.

"Why did you suddenly remind me of my daughter...? I'm sure if she was still alive...she would have looked just like you...My poor Mi'er..."

Feng Yao's lips slightly tilted up in a bitter smile. Her eyes glazed over as she watched his corpse slowly begin getting pecked at by hungry crows.

Old man, did I ever tell you about the short period of time before I met you?

I escaped from the Yuan Kingdom right at the end of the war. Lost and alone, I stumbled along the roads and almost died on the streets of the Wei Kingdom.

One person saved me. But it was not you. It was a homeless girl slightly older than me.

She told me to call her Big Sister Mi'er.

The previous me that had never before experienced how to show emotions on my face was abruptly thrown headfirst into her carefree lifestyle. With her foolishly bright grin, she taught me how to genuinely live like a person, not like a tool. I remember being shocked when she realized my skill of thieving yet had still decided to not take advantage of me.

Instead of making me steal money, she smacked me on my head and scolded my dumfounded self.

That was the first time I ever cried. That was the first time I ever felt shame. But that was also the first time I ever felt loved.

She had immediately began bawling her eyes out as she tightly hugged me and apologized for hitting me. Snot had been running down her face as she tearfully wailed that it was her job as an older sister to make sure I walked the right path.

I didn't tell her that her hit hadn't actually hurt. I was too preoccupied with my own tears running down my face. Because of her, I became someone who could actually laugh when happy or cry when sad. Because of her, I became the person I am today.

I never managed to ask why she was also alone in the Wei Kingdom though. Her happy expressions were almost like she was telling me that she didn't want me to know. I didn't want Big Sister Mi'er to hurt, so the stupid me refused to pry anymore into her situation.

But that was a mistake. I should have pried. I should've realized sooner that there was a reason why she refused to let me know her true identity.

The two of us had created a secret home in the slums. Right behind an insignificant wall laid our little hideout. I remember excitedly running back to find her after buying my very first steam bun with money that I had worked hard to collect. But as I entered our small hideout, I immediately noticed something off.

It had been too quiet. Too calm. As if a storm had already come and gone.

I was a coward. I could only timidly call out her name as I scurried all around the slums looking for her. Just when I was about to give up, my feet suddenly tripped over something hidden underneath a pile of garbage in the middle of an abandoned ally.

I knew it then without even looking down. She was dead.

When I finally forced my eyes to tilt downwards, I could only see her naked arm sticking out of the pile of disgusting waste. Rats had already sniffed out her dead body and were beginning to lay claim to it. I could do nothing, but stare blankly at her—my first and only friend—who had been murdered and tossed away like a rag doll.

We had only known each other for a few weeks, but to me, it felt like a life-time friendship. Realizing that I was all alone again, I began wandering the streets like before. But this time, I ran into you, old man.

I was scared of facing the world after what happened to Mi'er. I only wanted someone to accept me—a small beggar girl.

You had offered me food for the first time in my life. Sensing your kindness, I didn't want you to hate me. Suddenly, I remembered the way that Mi'er had always seemed so bright and happy. Thinking that it would make you like me more, I shed away my blank mask and took on her persona.

It makes sense now about why you seemed so taken aback at first. My smiles back then had been forcibly recreated by myself to look just like hers, and my laughter always seemed a bit too artificial and uncomfortable as if it didn't belong to me. The reason why I must have reminded you of your daughter so much, even up until your end, probably was because she was the person I used to try to imitate.

Feng Yao blinked as she felt her eyes begin to burn.

If only those assassins had never stumbled across me. If only they hadn't recognized me. If only the old man hadn't been there. Then he wouldn't have ever suspected my identity and decided to investigate on his own.

Big Sister Mi'er. I'm so sorry. I tried so hard to save him after realizing that he was your father, yet his hatred towards me didn't allow him to accept me. Even though we knew each other for eight years, none of it meant anything for him once he realized that I was from the Kingdom of Yuan—the kingdom responsible for everything that happened.

"But, I think you had it all wrong, old man..." She whispered.

His country had told him that his entire family had been executed for treason. But what if they had lied? What if they had actually staged the old man's family's deaths? Had the Qin Emperor been trying to protect them from something? Or perhaps, someone?

Even now, Feng Yao believed that the Kingdom of Qin, the old man's homeland that he ended up loathing to the bone, had not actually betrayed him.

The fact that Mi'er, when she was still alive, had never seemed pressured or anxious despite having to live in the slums with Feng Yao only furthered supported her conclusion. But that still left the huge question of what actually happened?

Suddenly, Feng Yao felt someone's warm hand cover her eyes. The sight of the old man's corpse in her vision was suddenly replaced by darkness.

"You don't have to keep looking."

Ru Qiang's quiet voice sounded out behind her. Feng Yao's lips automatically turned upwards into a small smile.

"I know." She felt him pause at the unusual seriousness hidden underneath her words.

Reaching up, Feng Yao removed his hand away from her eyes and turned around to look at him. His appearance looked the same as usual. But something tipped her off that there was something different about him today.

She looked a bit closer. Were those dark circles underneath his eyes?

He didn't say anything at her scrutiny of him and instead turned to look at the old man's hanging body.

In a soft voice, he asked, "Did you know him?"

"...No."

Feng Yao lied, but there was no shift of emotion on her face. There was no point in worrying now. The old man was already dead.

Ru Qiang turned to look back at her. His eyes seemed unnaturally piercing at that very moment, as if he could see right through her outer mask.

A moment passed before he finally replied. "...I see."

At that exact moment, Feng Yao felt a slight breeze over her skin just as Li Yue appeared. It was like he had just materialized out of thin air. He quickly bowed towards her before turning his sole attention to Ru Qiang. Just like his master, he seemed much more tired than usual.

"Young Master. We really cannot waste anymore time."

Ru Qiang slowly nodded at him. "En. I know."

Feng Yao watched as Li Yue nodded and quickly disappeared just as fast as he had appeared. As soon as he was gone, Ru Qiang turned towards Feng Yao. It looked as though he wanted to say something but couldn't find the right words.

He finally let out a deep sigh before meeting her gaze. "I am leaving. I do not know when I'll be back."

She blinked at him before a smile appeared on her lips. There was a twinkle of laughter in her eyes for the first time today. "Did you come here looking for me just to let me know that you were leaving?"

He ignored her teasing and continued. "I am not a person who likes to leave strings untied. I still owe you a favor from before when you helped me."

Feng Yao was slightly taken aback at his words. Was he really taking what she had said that time so seriously?

Her smile slowly warmed as she let out a genuine laugh. "Hahaha. I see then." She thought for a moment before continuing.

"How about you hold onto that debt until the next time we see each other? There isn't anything that I need from you right now."

Ru Qiang seemed satisfied with that answer as he nodded once. "En. I understand then."

He hesitated before adding, "But will you be okay?"

Feng Yao wasn't surprised that Ru Qiang knew something was strange about the situation inside the palace. She didn't know how much he knew, but it was likely that he had excellent informants.

"Of course. There's no need to worry about me. Besides, we don't even know each other."

Ru Qiang paused at her words, but he could do nothing but agree. They really didn't know much about the other at all.

He quickly glanced at the rising sun. Feng Yao could tell that he was in a hurry.

"Go. I know that you're busy." She encouraged him.

He nodded at her words. "En. Then, I will be leaving."

Feng Yao watched silently as his figure quickly disappeared from her view. As soon as he was gone, she let out a sigh.

I'm sorry, Ru Qiang. I hope you don't take our promise too seriously. I don't think that we'll meet again after today.

She turned around to leave to complete the task she had originally come here to do before she came across the old man's corpse. The entire area had already steadily become more crowded as the news of the old man's hanging body spread.

Suddenly, she heard a loud shout accompanied by a wave of shocked shouts and disbelief in the crowd around her.

"The Emperor has just announced a new decree! It's completely shocking! Everyone listen!"

Feng Yao froze at the mention of Long Yi. No one paid her any attention as they all swarmed around the messenger.

"The Emperor's favored woman is a magnanimous and beautiful lady and has accomplished what no other woman in the world can hope to do. Not only is she a graceful and elegant young woman, but she also is a legend in the world of politics and battle!"

Some of the listeners scoffed. "A woman dabbling in the business of politics and fighting? Don't joke around with us! Tell us the real news!"

The messenger looked greatly offended. "It is no lie! His Majesty's woman is definitely capable of such things!"

A few other listeners butted in. "How? We definitely would have heard of her if she's that famous!"

Their words made the messenger suddenly grin. "Why, of course you've all heard of her! She is the legendary strategist that defeated the Yuan Kingdom eight years ago!"

Feng Yao didn't dare move as the crowd was swept up into a sudden uproar.

"What do you mean!? Isn't the legendary strategist a male?"

"Wait a minute! How do we know that she ended the war for sure? Weren't there rumors saying that she was the one who actually started it?"

The messenger held up his hands and tried to silence everyone.

"It doesn't matter! Apparently, our great Wei Emperor was one of her closest confidents during the war! And--!"

Feng Yao had the sudden urge to run, but it was too late to stop the messenger's words.

"—she has decided to be our new Empress!"

* * * * *

Author's Note:

Why hello everyone! *waves excitedly*

I apologize for the long wait! I'm currently on a road trip, so I ended up having to write this chapter on my computer and then transferring it to my USB to transfer to my phone so that I could use my phone data to go online and upload since my phone isn't able to create a mobile hotspot for my laptop and...sigh...it's a long story~

Haha, but I'm so happy to see all of your theories and comments! It always makes my day :D

Secrets are starting to come out, so we're beginning to wrap up this first (although slightly long) arc! Woo hoo!

And as always, thanks for reading, voting, and commenting!

~(^_^)~

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

12.6K 168 121
The ancient saying goes: Most generals come from Guan Xi, while ministers come from Guan Dong. He Lisa was born to be a Star General. She was merely...
13.8K 1.4K 37
" The darkness closed in around him, like a shroud of silence. Veeranshu's eyes fluttered open, and he was met with an unfamiliar ceiling. Groggily...
46.4K 6.3K 19
This is the sequel of RRR, so new readers please read it before starting this book. Agneya, the soon to be crown prince of Rakshatra, was bounded by...
620K 19.5K 111
[Not MY Story] OFFLINE Purpose. I possessed the wife of the Emperor, the mad villain of a tragic novel. After a while, when the evil Emperor looks t...