Still the One (Book 2 in the...

By eternalfelicity

**ATTENTION! This is a sequel to Not the Only One. Please please don't read any further until you read it... More

0000 | Friendly Disclaimer
00 | Preface
0 | Prologue
1 | Unexpected Visitor
2 | Why Not?
3 | Something Isn't Right
4 | Home Again
5 | In the Woods
6 | Brick Wall
7 | Lies Become the Truth
8 | Listen
9 | Back to School
10 | Broken
11 | Just a Play
12 | Domino
13 | Trapped
14 | Heart to Heart
15 | Awake
16 | Mercy
17 | Forgiven
18 | Why Now?
19 | Something's Missing
20 | Beyond Repair
21 | The Head and the Heart
22| Foiled Again?
23 | Slow
24 | Falling
25 | No Air
27 | Not Today
28 | If Looks Could Kill
29 | Battle
30 | Puzzle
31 | Trick or Treat
32 | Photograph
33 | Thin Line
34 | The Play's the Thing
35 | On My Own
36 | Revelation
37 | Iris
38 | Won't Let Her Down
39 | Thankful
40 | Take the Darkness
41 | Back Together
42 | Let It Go
43 | Lookin' Like Revenge
44 | New
45 | Everything
46 | Worth It
47 | This is Christmas - Part I
48 | This is Christmas - Part II
49 | Marry Me
|| Epilogue
|| Afterword

26 | Casting

544 52 88
By eternalfelicity

Well there's a million other girls who do it just like you

Looking as innocent as possible to get to who

They want and what they like, it's easy if you do it right...

-Paramore, "Misery Business"

Rachel

My eyes snapped open and I looked at the alarm clock - 10:07 am. Damnit, I thought. Fairchild said the cast list would be up at noon.

I rolled over to see Miles' side of the bed empty. He had class this morning, whereas I had somehow managed to have no Tuesday/Thursday classes at all.

I stood up and stretched, padding into the bathroom to take a shower. I wanted to be there when Professor Fairchild put up the cast list.

As I washed my hair, I thought about which part I wanted. Playing Sandy would be fun, but I would also be happy with Rizzo. I rinsed my hair, stepping out of the shower and pulling it up into a huge bun on top of my head. I really needed a haircut, but I was loving how long it had gotten.

I heard a knock at my door, and I turned around to see Luke standing in the doorway. "Morning, Rachel," he greeted. "Can I come in?"

"Sure," I said, applying some eyeliner and mascara.

"Wanna ride together to check out the cast list?" he asked, sitting down at Miles' desk.

"Definitely. Maybe Miles can meet us for lunch before. I think he gets out of class at 11," I said, looking at him in the mirror.

"I'll text him," he said, pulling out his phone.

A couple minutes later, Miles answered with an "okay" and Luke and I were on our way to campus.

We walked into the on-campus Chick-Fil-A and Miles was already in line. I snuck up behind him and wrapped my arms around his waist. "Give me all your nuggets," I murmured in his ear.

He jumped a little and turned around. "Hey, love," he greeted me, kissing my forehead.

"Hey, handsome. I really do want a number 8," I said.

"I know you do, my little nugget," he teased. We stepped up to the cash register and he ordered for me, also paying for Luke's lunch.

"Bro, you know I'm as rich as you now, right?" Luke joked.

"Yeah, yeah, you can get it next time. I'll be sure to request The Melting Pot or something equally as expensive," Miles shot back.

"Fine. Pocket change, bro."

I rolled my eyes. Luke and Miles were always making jokes about their giant bank account balances. But I suddenly had a thought as we sat down to wait for our food.

"Luke, have you told Jessica about your financial situation?" I asked.

"It hasn't exactly come up in conversation," he answered, ripping up his straw wrapper into tiny pieces.

"I just wondered. She has asked me before how we afford such a nice apartment as college students. I just told her that William had left you guys a little money when he passed away," I said.

He nodded. "I guess I should tell her that whole story pretty soon. Is it okay with you, Miles?"

Miles nodded. "Sure. It seems like she's going to be around for a while, so she should know."

Just then, our food arrived and we ate quietly.

When we finished, I checked my watch and it was 11:45. "Y'all. The list will be up in 15 minutes. Let's go," I urged them, picking up our trash and practically dragging them out the door.

***

When we reached the theater ten minutes later, we stood outside the door with the rest of the students from our theater class.

At 11:59, Professor Fairchild came into the lobby with a flourish, taping the cast list to each of the doors.

"You will receive scripts tomorrow in class. All of you did incredibly well on your auditions. Thank you for your hard work!" she gushed.

Luke leaned over and whispered to us, "God, I hope I don't get Danny. Maybe I'll just get Doody or Sonny."

I snorted.

When she went back inside, we gathered around the doors.

Grease Cast List - Fall 2020

Sandy Dumbrowski: Rachel Cross

Danny Zuko: Luke Salazar

I didn't look at the rest of the list. Grinning, I turned around to face Miles. "I got the lead," I murmured, not wanting to sound like I was bragging.

"Wow, babe! That's excellent!" he exclaimed, picking me up and spinning me around.

I giggled. "Luke got Danny," I whispered.

He laughed, looking over at Luke's pale face.

"Oh, shit," Luke breathed. "I should've sucked up the audition, huh?"

"Come on, Luke! It'll be great. At least we're the leads together!" 

He nodded. "True."

Miles grinned. "You're gonna be kissing my girl again, bro. Better tread carefully," he joked, elbowing Luke in the ribs.

We both slugged him on each arm at the same time, and he started laughing.

He looked at something over my shoulder and a confused look crossed his face.

"What? What is it?" I asked, turning around.

"Do you see that girl over there?" he asked, gesturing with his chin in what he thought was a subtle manner.

"The one with the glasses?" I asked.

"Yeah. Who is she?"

"She's in our theater class," Luke said. "She usually sits in the back and doesn't talk much."

"Damn. That's a small world. She's in my Hydraulic Engineering class too," he said.

"Oh yeah? Do you know her?" I asked.

"Not really. She talked to me after class yesterday after Dr. Douchebag made a fool out of me in front of everyone, and she was a little awkward. I think she said her name is Iris?" His face contorted and he forced a smile. "Oh shit, she saw me," he gritted through his teeth.

I bumped him with my hip. "Be nice," I muttered. "Hi!" I said brightly as she approached.

"Hi," she said shyly, looking at Miles.

I twisted my mouth in amusement. "I'm Rachel," I said, extending my hand graciously.

She hesitantly took my hand and shook it, her grip a little wilted. "I'm Iris."

"Nice to meet you, Iris. This is Luke, and it appears you already know my boyfriend, Miles," I said pointedly.

Her face turned red. "Yeah - um - we have a class together," she said, fiddling nervously with the lanyard on her keys.

"Yeah, she's in the class with Dr. Douchebag," Miles confirmed.

"Ah. Hey, what part did you get?" I asked, pointing toward the cast list.

Her face turned even redder. "Oh, I - uh - I got Jan," she mumbled.

Oh, man - the "Brusha Brusha Brusha" beaver girl. How unfortunate.

"Cool!" I said instead. "She's a fun part - and we'll get to work together."

She nodded reluctantly. "I was really hoping for Rizzo, but..." She trailed off, looking over at the tall, voluptuous, raven-haired beauty who had been given that part.

I shrugged. "It's all good, girl," I said brightly, trying really hard to ignore the way she was staring at my Miles.

She shifted uncomfortably from foot to foot. "Yeah - well, I gotta go," she said, waving at us, her eyes landing on Miles and staying there just a little too long.

"Bye," the three of us said in uneasy unison.

As she disappeared out the door into the October sunshine, I raised my eyebrows at Miles.

"I think you have an admirer," I stated bluntly.

He rolled his eyes. "Je-sus," he groaned. "Why me?"

Luke laughed. "Because! You're, like, so totally dreamy," he prattled, earning a glare from Miles.

I couldn't help but laugh. "Come on, babe. It's cute."

He narrowed his eyes at me. "It is not. It's totally cringe-worthy."

I shrugged. "Yeah, it kind of is. But look, I think I put my claim on you. She knows you're mine."

He growled at me playfully. "Damn right."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

22.6K 2.2K 48
***ATTENTION: This is the 3rd book in a series - don't go any further as there are MAJOR SPOILERS AHEAD!!! Go back to my profile and add Not the Only...
59.5K 1.6K 27
UNEDITED! "We're just friends, Cam." his eyes go to the left and he avoids my gaze. I walk up to him and he immediately looks up to my eyes, flickeri...
686K 8.9K 28
***Please Note: This is the sequel to Love Makes the Heart Beat...If you haven't read that story yet, I suggest you read it first as there are some s...