Justice Eternal

By SWKata

Urban Fantasy - Romance - Immortals - Tournaments. Hidden throughout our modern world is an ancient, mythica... More

Author Note - CURRENT
01 - Class of Party (REWRITTEN)
02 - Switchblade
03 - Miss Hero
04 - Summoned
05 - No Strings
06 - Youngest Fledgling
07 - Ancient Ways
08 - Blame Game
09 - Olympus
10 - Round Two
11 - Dad
12 - Orientation
13 - Day One
15 - Politics
16 - Moonshine
17 - Close Call
18 - Opps
19 Unexpected Visitor

14 - Dirty Moves

153 28 122
By SWKata

This time Justice was prepared. As they bowed to each other, she centred herself and cleared her mind. Concentrated on Anton as a whole, and ignoring his devilish smile, and glittering eyes, she stepped back the moment he reached for her.

There was no time to gloat, and she spun sideways, swinging around an arm to hit against the side of his body. He raised an arm and deflected it. She spun back before relaunching her attack, which he blocked again.

They continued like this, their movements fast, and equally matched. As they traded hits back and forth, neither was able to break through the defence of the other.

Justice felt confident now. Her focus was sharp, and she could see many of his moves before they even came. A few times she managed to connect a hit, but he simply grunted and moved out of the way.

Anton was very good, and she was impressed. In a small break when they both pulled back to reassess, she noticed that his face was soft. It was not tense in thought like many other's she'd fought before. Instead, it was as though he was enjoying it. A smile was set permanently upon his lips, and messy blond hair swayed about his face with each movement. He radiated an aura of glowing assurance and skill.

Snap out of it, Justice. Frustrated at how her mind had wandered in the middle of a fight, she redoubled her attack.

"Don't hold back, Anton," said Viktor from the sideline.

The teen grunted and looked up at Justice as she flew around and delivered a kick in his back. He stumbled forward and laughed.

She rushed in after him, and he turned to meet her. She felt a thrill whip through her as a gap opened up in his stance. There was a brief moment where her mind faltered as she tried to understand why the boy had laughed, but there was no time - she focused back on the opening, and took it.

One step, two step...

She turned her body, twisting as she swung her fist around to connect with the side of his head.

It was a dirty move, and she knew it.

Anton's eyes widened and his mouth curled into another wicked smile. There was a sound like crunching bones, and a second later, Justice's hand was slamming into the soft fur of a grizzly bear. A clawed paw wrapped around her arm and Justice screamed in anger.

Anton the bear dragged her sideways and pushed her down against the ground. She felt the earth tremor at his heavy footsteps. In a moment, the teen returned, kneeling over her again.

She narrowed her eyes and growled at him. "That was a cheap move." She kicked, and he laughed, holding her down against the ground.

"Aw, come on now," he said teasingly. "I was just doing what I was told."

Justice made another wordless, frustrated sound. "You knew I was going to win, and so you cheated."

"Oh," he said, as he sat back on his heels and clutched dramatically at his heart. "You wound me, my dear."

Justice rolled her eyes and huffed. She pushed him back and clambered to stand over him.

He was quick to follow, and the feigned indignation fell from his face, replaced by worry.

"I'm sorry," he said in a desperate whisper. "I was just mucking around."

She brushed past him and demanded Viktor give them a rematch — one without Anton shifting. The man was impassive as he waved her away, claiming he'd seen enough of her karate to sufficiently assess her abilities.

An overwhelming sense of inequity bubbled away inside of Justice, and she stomped back to her group.

Ben seemed amused and smirked at her. "Ha. The karate star, Justice Edwards, shown up on her first day."

"Shut it, Ben."

He slipped his hands into baggy pockets, seemingly unconcerned by her words. The two of them had never gotten along well. Ben was a nerdy, snarky, geek and his very presence often rubbed her the wrong way. The only reason she put up with him was because he was Tora's warden and for some reason, he and Baulder were best friends.

She ignored everyone else and silently seethed through the rest of the class. All the students had a turn, either sparring against Anton or a fellow fledgling. Justice had probably laughed a bit too hard when Ben was sent sprawling across the grass by a girl.

After an hour, Thalente dismissed them for lunch. Justice and her friends made a group and began to head down the path back towards the main buildings.

Anton was quick to follow and called out her name. She sighed and motioned for everyone to continue without her.

"What do you want?" she asked as he caught up to her.

He rubbed the back of his neck. "I just came to say sorry. Using a bear was a dick move. You were doing really well." He ran a hand through his hair and then hastily fixed it back up again. The same little habit he'd displayed the first time they'd met.

"Yeah, it was," she said, narrowing her eyes. "I was going to win, and you knew it."

"I know. I was impressed." His blue eyes met hers, and she felt that familiar pull again. "Can we start over?" It sounded earnest, and as he scuffed a heel aimlessly in the tiny pebbles that made up the path, she groaned inwardly. How many people was she going to have to forgive?

"Fine. We can start over," she said begrudgingly.

"Excellent." His face lit up with a grin. "So, now I know how you got all healed up. I must say, I didn't expect you to be an Immortal."

"What did you think?" she said as they started to walk along the path slowly. Though she was being friendly, she hadn't still quite absolved of blame him yet. Nor herself. Though she'd like to believe that she wasn't pinning all her hopes on Anton, she felt embarrassed at how just much she'd already run away with it in her mind. Why did she think someone would fall in her lap on the first day?

With the events of Riley, and Wynn and now Anton, it was like nothing worked in her favour.

"Oh, I had no idea," continued Anton, breaking through her thoughts. "I was sort of imagining you devouring some poor random in your room. It was kinda hot."

"Anton!" she said and stopped to hit him in the chest. She could feel the heat in her cheeks.

He held up his hands in surrender. "When it's all 'don't ask, don't tell,' what's a guy to do but imagine the blonde thug-fighting girl, looking after needs?"

Justice rolled her eyes.

"Stop doing that," he said.

"What?"

"Rolling your eyes at me." He walked his fingers up her arm.

She stiffened and shrugged away from his touch.

"And, you stop doing that."

"What?"

"Touching me."

"You liked it in Ibiza..."

"Well, Ibiza was just playing around. It wasn't anything."

"But isn't this better?" he said in a low and seductive tone. "We're here for several months; we could have so much more fun..." He reached out a hand to stroke her face.

Justice slapped at his hand and glared at him.

"Please don't. I'm not wasting my time with a shifter."

Anton's face darkened, and his eyes narrowed. "I didn't take you to be racist. What's wrong with being a shifter?" There was a warning glint in the usually friendly boy-next-door eyes. A strong force seemed to emanate around him, and she realised that she'd pressed a hot button.

"Nothing's wrong with shifters," she said quickly. "But, when I saw you coming out of my dad's office, I assumed you were immortal. I was looking forward to getting to know you, to see if I could choose you as my warden."

Anton took a step backwards. "So you're only interested in me if I were an Immortal. That sounds pretty racist to me."

Justice groaned."No. It's not about that. I wanted to come to Olympus and find someone I could fall in love with and choose as my warden if I won the tournaments." Her heart raced, and she wanted to stamp her foot. She didn't want to have to explain herself.

"That sounds like the dumbest plan. Who "finds someone to fall in love with"? And, I don't know much about wardens, but I'm pretty sure no one says you have to love them. I mean, you don't love the Prince, obviously."

Justice groaned and did stamp her foot this time. "No, I don't love Baulder. Well, not like that anyway. And, I know I don't have to love my warden, but I want to. Eros bonding was designed for lovers. You can experience each other's emotions, - it's incredibly intimate. I want someone who I can trust with that part of me." She hung her head back and stared up at the sky. "If I can win the tournaments, it's the only choice I'll get to make in my life, for a long time. "

The sound of Anton's shoes crunched over the pebbles as he stepped towards her.

She looked back at him to see his face sympathetic.

"I'm sorry," he said. "But it sounds pretty dumb that they'd force you to even have that type of bond."

Justice sighed. "It is. But that's not something I can change."

"Really? You're like friends with the Prince, and your dad is the scary Edward Edwards. You're kinda, right in the middle of all the important people."

"It's not that easy."

"You should start a little revolution." He chuckled to himself. "You're no pushover. I can see it now. You'll gather an army of young girls and guys, and you'll storm the palace. You'll all demand the right to whatever kind of bond you want with whomever you want. And they won't be able to say no, because else you'll tear the whole place down." He waved passed an arm through the air in a dramatic sweep. "You'll be 'Miss Hero' to everyone." His face was glowing with mischief, and the passion and optimism felt addictive.

Her mouth curled up at the sides of their own volition, and she couldn't stop it breaking into a smile.

"No one will tell Justice what to do," he said.

She laughed. "Well, that all sounds very nice."

"We can plan your revolution tonight," he said, looping his arm in hers with a cautious look to see if she'd reject his touch again. At her wary gaze, he smiled and continued. "Delphine is hosting a party for all the fledglings."

"She is?"

Justice couldn't imagine the demure girl at a party, let along organising one.

"Yeah. Apparently, it's a tradition of her family. Whenever one of them is preparing for their trials, they host the first mingle. Delphine is nothing like the rest of her family. She's," he searched for a word, "odd."

This made sense to Justice. Though, on further thought, what didn't make sense was Anton's relationship with her.

"So why are you friends with her? I mean, you were on holidays together... If you're not her warden, what's the deal?" She paused. "Are you a couple?"

Anton snorted and laughed so hard he almost tripped. "Oh, god no. And would I have spent the time with you, if I was? I mean, I'm always up for fun, but, I'm not a cheater. Really." He stumbled over the last few words, and she noticed his cheeks flushed pink. "I'm her guardian," he continued quickly. "Like, why I'm guessing you had the fairy with you and the prince?"

At the mention of Wynn, Justice paused. She didn't want to bring up what had happened, and so pushing the painful thoughts aside she forced a smile. "Yes. She was his guardian. But, why does Delphine have one? I thought only Baulder did because he's the prince."

"Well, she's a princess too. Her parents are the King and Queen of Tokos."

Justice frowned. "Who?" There were no other Kings and Queens that she was aware of. She knew that there had been before the plague, but with all the other havens and kingdoms gone, only King Octavius and Olympus remained.

"King Louis and Queen Verity? Tokos might be gone, but apparently it will be rebuilt soon. I don't know much of the politics, but they're a big deal where I'm from."

This didn't sit right with Justice, but she didn't know enough to understand why. She made a mental note to ask Baulder about it later and nodded to Anton.

"So, the party? I'll be there."

He grinned happily and they began the walk back to the main buildings. As they did she became aware that Baulder wasn't far away and was quickly making his way towards them. A minute later he came into view, puffing slightly.

His eyes flickered over the Anton briefly, before landing on Justice with a seriousness that made her pay instant attention. She loosed her arm from Anton and jogged forward to meet Baulder.

"My father wants to see us," he said.

"Us? As in you and me?"

"Yes."

"Why would he want to see me?"

"I'm not sure. But we've got fifteen minutes to get across to the other side of the palace."

Justice could sense that the unexplained summons had him a little on edge. She nodded and with an apology to Anton, she let her warden lead them through the palace and to a conference room not far from her father's office.

______________

Author Note

How do you feel about Anton now?  Haha.

Also, just a heads up that I won't be uploading a chapter next Sunday. 

Instead, I'm going to use this week to polish up the first couple of chapters before throwing a #Wattys2018 tag on the book. 

I've already partially rewritten Chapter 1 and it's very different! Hope you all like it <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

56.8K 851 39
His Brother Is Entering The Tournament.... Her Sister Is The Prize.... But Neither Of Them Can Bare To Lose Eachother.... Persephone's new step-f...
Dark Mortals By Addie

Science Fiction

1.5K 5 35
Esmeralda Arquette, an extraordinary sixteen-year-old girl with a not-so-ordinary life. Learning to balance her two different identities, would be a...
353 54 20
Missing agency and direction in her life, River takes matters into her own hands to realize she never had much control to begin with. Thrust suddenly...
7.3K 866 13
[Vᴏʟᴜᴍᴇ 1 - Cᴏᴍᴘʟᴇᴛᴇ] Evelyn White was born with a gift - or rather, a curse: the first time she touches someone, she sees when and how that person d...