Bane

Από AmbroseGrimm

True Evil exists in darkness, surviving even in the brightest places, in that shadow under foot. Monsters lur... Περισσότερα

Part One
March 16, 1866
November 3, 1963
November 6, 1963
January 13, 1964
January 14, 1964
January 22, 1964
February 1, 1964
September 27, 1964
September 29, 1964
December 31, 1964
November 3, 1968
December 31, 1970
January 1, 1971
April 1, 1972
September 27, 1973
November 3, 1975
December 1, 1975
February 4, 1976
September 9, 1978
April 26, 1979
December 20, 1979
December 31, 1979
January 5, 1980
January 6, 1980
January 7, 1980
January 10, 1980
February 1, 1980
February 26, 1980
February 29, 1980
March 25, 1980
April 2, 1980
April 5, 1980
April 8, 1980
April 10, 1980
April 15, 1980
April 29, 1980
April 30, 1980
May 21, 1980
May 22, 1980
May 25, 1980
Requiem
Part Two
February 5, 1993
September 27, 1993
October 1, 1993
October 2, 1993
October 3, 1993
October 5, 1993
October 16, 1993
October 18, 1993
October 19, 1993
October 25, 1993
October 26, 1993
October 31, 1993
November 4, 1993
November 10, 1993
November 15, 1993
November 18, 1993
November 18, 1993
November 19, 1993
November 20, 1993
November 25, 1993
November 26, 1993
November 30, 1993
December 01, 1993
December 5, 1993
December 6, 1993
December 7, 1993
December 15, 1993
December 24, 1993
December 28, 1993
August 10, 1994
Part Three
October 31, 1997
January 1, 1998
January 2, 1998
January 5, 1998
January 6, 1998
January 13, 1998
January 22, 1998
January 31, 1998
February 3, 1998
February 5, 1998
March 6, 1998
Part Four

December 2, 1993

23 4 2
Από AmbroseGrimm

"-ou what?"

Gina cringed, pulling the phone away from her ear a moment, the long string of Cameron's cursing broken only by the poor connection. "I took the fight to Grifford."

"You're fucking insane."

"Rosary, Cameron." Gina smirked. "Look, he wasn't going to let me in. He was never going to let me in. I'll play lackey to Bart Walker until Hutch, and David get back from Salem. Then, it's just you and me, Cam."

"Hutch? I -" the line went dark a moment. Gina felt a small pang of disappointment, but his voice came back into the receiver. "-et her hear you call her that."

"I'd give Karen Hutchinson a run for her money... a lot more than that, if I weren't yours."

Gina could sense his frustration, even over the line. Cameron disliked when she talked lurid over members of The Order. Probably over anyone, anymore.

"Gina..."

There it was. "I'm playing. I'm playing. Lighten up, Cameron Dean. You Order types need a better sense of humor."

"-ell that to Gri-" Cameron's voice was replaced by dial tone.

Gina hung up the phone unceremoniously.

She was on her feet before the knocking started, opening the door with a pistol already drawn, hidden behind her back.

"You can put your weapon away, Gina." Bart stood at the threshold of the door. "If I were here to assassinate you, you'd already be dead."

"So I hear." Gina opened the door wide, took a step back, and bolstered her pistol, her hands both resting on the grips of her twin desert eagles. "How can I help you, goodman?"

Bart hid a smile under a weary expression. "You can start by dispensing with formalities. You're here because you're just about the dumbest smart woman that's ever been."

"Maybe even a little lucky." Gina half shrugged.

"I'm here, because you're lucky. The judge apprised me of your relationship with a certain masked monster."

"I don't have a relationship with the judge."

"You know who I mean. Be careful, Gina. Be careful who you speak to, and how you speak. You're spunky, and plucky, and funny. That's fine. Not all of us share your sense of humor."

"Come on in, Walker."

Bart stared at the threshold a while longer, and the two stood in silence. "It would be inappropriate. You're an engaged woman."

"I'm offering you a beer, Walker. Not a good time, and unkept promises of calling you."

Bart Walker narrowed his eyes. "That mouth is going to get you into trouble."

Gina laughed. "I'm not even going to touch that one, old man. Get in here, and out of the rain. Beer's in the 'fridge, and the den's got a fire burning in the fireplace."

"Drawing room. Hearth."

"Beer. Fridge. Den. Fireplace. Stop stalling."

✟ ☧ ✟

Gina sipped her beer from the bottle, Bart from a crystal stein. "...see? That's the problem with you stuffy Order types. Can't drink from a bottle, you have to drink from a goblet."

"Stein." Bart stared at Gina, working hard to dislike the girl. She reminded him a lot of Karen, but her lack of propriety, and upbringing made it difficult for him to want to try and relate.

Gina made her voice deep. "It's a drawing room. A hearth. A stein. Man, you really need to relax. Doesn't the order own a strip club, or something?"

"Gina!"

Gina grinned. "That's better."

Bart shook his head, and set his stein on a coaster on the end table. "Oh, sure. It's all fun and games for you, right? Run and gun your way into the order by force, and suddenly you're old money. "

"Puto, what the fuck did you just say to me? You think I want to be like you? Shit, I wouldn't mind living to the age of retirement, but you've got a stick up your ass as wide as it is long. How do you walk?"

Bart Walker sighed. The impertinent wretch. As bad as Clay, stubborn as David, and foul mouthed as Karen. He liked her. "There's a reason for everything, and if you're going to survive in the order after the shit you pulled at Judge Grifford's, you're going to have to learn how to fit in."

"Really? How did that work out for Bishop? Or Divinae? How did that work out for any of the poor bastards at the lodge when some witch bitch burned it down around them? Did any of you learn anything at all?"

Bart glared.

"Stop pretending you're mad. You like me. You like the way I do things. Fuck, your precious traditions are so important, they're getting you killed. Your numbers are dropping to extinction levels, you've got a church that wants you gone on one side, a mean ass witch on the other, and you're worried about steins, and hearth, and drawing rooms like any of that shit matters out there."

"Propriety has its place in The Order."

"Bullshit, that's a cop out. Propriety makes you predictable. You do the shit you do because it's the way it's always been done. You developed bad habits, patterns, and complacency. Yes, Bart. I know big words. I went to school like any of you did. I got decent grades. Three times a week I studied my martial arts. I was a better fighter at ten than most of you at twenty, except for the mojo you get in your advanced schooling. Tell me, and I mean this... tell me how that held up against Lillian Plow, or Bane?"

Bart slumped back into his seat in stunned silence, and Gina scowled, chugging back her beer. The damned house was still decorated with the gypsy's furniture.

"Damned right you don't know what to say. You spent your life treating your next generation- your kids - like subordinates, delivering orders with the expectation they're not questioned. Look where it's gotten you."

"I'm still here."

Gina cocked her head. "Sure, you're still here. I get the feeling you've broken the rules a few times."

Bart only stared.

Gina felt her cheeks getting warm. "Look where it got Bishop... but, no. You're right. I'm the one with a lack of propriety. I'm the one who won't play crucible to your Order's personal Salem."

"...that's where you're wrong. It's not my Order. It's our Order. Mine, yours, David's, Karen's, and Cameron's Order."

"Well, I'm not here for prestige, birthright, blood or binding. I love Cameron Dean, and he was mine before he was yours. I'm here to keep him alive, and if keeping his dumb ass alive means I have to keep all your dumb asses alive, that's what I'm going to do... but I'm not going to do it your way, or their way, or his way, or even Bishop's way. I'm gonna do it my way, because my way's kept me alive so far, and it works."

Bart nodded. "They'll sing songs about you when you're gone. You'll fight hard, and you'll die, Gina."

"Sometimes we kill them." Gina raised her beer and finished the contents. She wiped her mouth with her forearm. "Sometimes they kill us. It's not when we die, or even how we die, Walker. It's why we died, and what we died for. Thats all that matters."

"I have a task for you." Bart Walker pulled a large yellow envelope from his faded black duster. "I know you can fight. I know you can run your mouth, but are you ready to put yourself to the test?"

"Name it."

"Convince the rogue element here in Driftwood to go. Get them to leave. I read your report on Mark and Penelope. They bit off more than they could chew. It nearly cost them their lives. "

"...and Bishop?"

"Grifford is willing to grant him a full pardon if he leaves."

Gina kept her gaze steady, but she could hear - she could feel - that teenaged defensive tone spreading inside her. "If he leaves his estate."

"If he leaves Driftwood. Convince your Bishop to leave Driftwood, and take up residence in Pridewater. He can take Mark and Penelope with him."

"You expect me to ask my mentor, my friend, to pack up and leave?"

"Bishop's rogues are upsetting the balance in Driftwood. It's a delicate balance. Convince them to take a station in Pridewater."

"...and what do they get out of this?"

"Admission to The Order, Gina."

"What does The Order get out of this?"

Bart scratched at the back of his neck. "Expansion."

Συνέχεια Ανάγνωσης

Θα σας αρέσει επίσης

280K 5.9K 33
WATTPAD BOOKS EDITION You do magic once, and it sticks to you like glitter glue... When Johnny and his best friend, Alison, pass their summer holid...