Two Gangs and a Golden Girl

By HollyShmit

"I didn't ask to be in the middle of your ego-battle," I grumble. Blake pins me to my locker, hands resting o... More

I n t r o d u c t i o n
Two Gangs and a Golden Girl
Chapter 1, Ego brawl
Chapter 2, Trouble
Chapter 3, The test
Chapter 4, My hero
Chapter 5, Rejected
Chapter 6, Unknown number
Chapter 7, The bet
Chapter 8, Round two
Chapter 9, Fake boyfriend
Chapter 10, Left hook
Chapter 11, Knockout
Chapter 12, Followed
Chapter 13, Finally Friday
Chapter 14, The party
Chapter 15, Drinking deal
Chapter 16, The hunt
Chapter 17, Getting chased
Chapter 18, Li'l lady
Chapter 19, Race for gold
Chapter 20, Never say never
Chapter 21, Bloodshed
Chapter 22, Poisonous eyes
Chapter 23, Bleak boy
Chapter 24, Not just average
Chapter 25, Suspect list
Chapter 26, Bathrobe fight club
Chapter 27, Unconventional interrogation
Chapter 28, The invitation
Chapter 29, The Northern plan
Chapter 30, Picking a date
Chapter 31, Not worried at all
Chapter 32, Pot of gold
Chapter 33, The Past
Chapter 34, First dance
Chapter 35, The distraction
Chapter 37, Much worse
Chapter 38, The big reveal
Chapter 39, Stakes are higher
Chapter 40, Mysterious friend
Chapter 41, Bound to happen
Chapter 42, Not just fall
Chapter 43, Earthworms
Chapter 44, The show
Chapter 45, Jealous boys and other toys
Chapter 46, Not a choice
Chapter 47, Xavier's weapon
Chapter 48, Little toe
Chapter 49, Blank notes
Chapter 50, The big day
Chapter 51.1, Welcome
Chapter 51.2, The trade
A u t h o r ' s N o t e
Chapter 52, Want a cookie?
Chapter 53, Gold vs Flame
Chapter 54, Shakespeare
Chapter 55, Cornered in a circle
Chapter 56.1, Breaking bones
Chapter 56.2, Not pretty anymore
Chapter 57, Impossible choice
Chapter 58, When gold falls
Chapter 59.1, Toasters and Tictacs
Chapter 59.2, Darkness and pledges
Chapter 60, Mysterious Fucker
P u b l i s h e d
Q & A
C o n t e s t
M e e t H o l l y

Chapter 36, Blood and chaos

317K 19.7K 35.8K
By HollyShmit

"The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time."

- Mark Twain

I need to get everything done before 11 PM, I tell myself. The unknown number said that I have a window frame to dance with Amber before that, but...

But how can I dance with someone that might disappear in my arms?

What happened two years ago quickly flashes through my memory.

"Hey, stop looking so glum little bro," Kyle said. He had always been the enthusiastic one between the two of us.

I handed my brother a smile when I spotted the orange paint on the sleeves of his tailored jacket. I always loved the fact that he was constantly covered in paint. He was going to be a great leader.

What followed was the deafening sound of great cries of gunfire and warning as the street lit up. The sound of automatics were everywhere and my father shouted at us to get down before a swarm of bullets forced him to duck himself.

Rhodes. Owen Rhodes and his Dad were the first people I saw.

"Watch out!" Kyle yelled and dived for me just as a loud shot came from Owen's Dad.

My brother landed with a hard thud on top me and he grinned when he looked down. "Always got to save my little bro," he said and got back up from where we were hiding behind the van.

I smiled right back, but then Kyle frowned and slowly reached back with his hand. He felt at the back of his left shoulder and when he brought back his hand, it was covered in blood...

"Blake?" he asked just as a pool of red formed from under him and he collapsed.

The gunfire turned louder. Unbearable. Smothering. I couldn't breathe... I still can't...

I'm back in the warmly lit mansion.

11 PM. I just have to dance with Amber before then and then I can be rest assured I might still be in the running for this bet.

But I miss all my chances.

When she walks into the ballroom like a golden sunrise, I don't walk up to her. When she's at the buffet table, I let Matt ask her for a dance. And during the many partner switches, I keep to the side and don't dance.

I like to pretend it's because I don't feel like dancing, but... But when you've been robbed of what you love most, it's better not to love.

Love is a weakness.

I'm about to head to the library and general meeting place for the gangs to discus territories and the treaty, but Xavier suddenly leads Amber to the dance floor. My whole existence turns cold and I can do nothing but stand at the side of the dance floor and watch as everybody parts to let them lead a solo dance.

It's just a dance, I tell myself. We'll head into the meeting after this and then I can go home. I'm not dancing with Amber in room full of dangerous people. Especially with Xavier's flimsy plan that'll spring at 11 PM.

Jack steps beside me with his frosty hair, just as Xavier and Amber start dancing. I hate to admit it, but they look hypnotizing together. I can tell Amber isn't exactly enjoying it, but nobody in here can deny they would be excellent dancing partners. With the sheer power and control they're executing, they could be professional.

With her magnificent golden dress, Amber truly looks like liquid gold in the dance and I suddenly realize:

If Amber is the gold, Xavier would be the flame that melts her.

This is not good. This is not good at all...

"You look like you've seen a ghost," Jack comments.

"I'm not too sure if I can go through with this bet," I admit.

Jack doesn't respond. His ice-blue eyes stay fixed on Amber and Xavier.

"Have you figured out who the unknown number is yet?" I ask my hacker.

Jack hesitates before he answers: "No. Their wall is too high. I can't hack into anything from that number."

Typical. Jack can hack into anything except the one thing I need him to hack into for the last month now. It's just my damn luck.

I'm about to ask Jack if he's trying hard enough, but when I take my eyes off of Amber and Xavier for long enough, Jack isn't next to me anymore. Instead a smirking Camila is standing there. She's dressed in red and the gown is nearly double her size. I admit, the red is lovely for her tanned skin and dark hair, but it really is just too much.

"Camila," I grumble before looking back at Amber just as Xavier swings her into a low dip.

"Oh, por favor! Call me Cam," she says with bedroom eyes.

"Go stand somewhere else," I dismiss.

"Oh, but I like it over here..." she pouts.

"How did you even get in?" I ask.

"Oh, my brother is my date," she happily announces.

"BD is disgusting and the fact that he's your brother is probably why I feel like vomiting whenever you're too close," I growl.

A flash of anger and hurt crosses Camila's eyes and her expression turns a little cold. "Oh, you better start being nicer to me and my brother," Camila says. "The North isn't as pathetic as we look and you'll all know it soon enough."

Yeah, I know about Xavier's flimsy plan at 11 PM, but that's still two hours away. I'll get out right after we gangs have our meeting.

I snort and look back at Amber and Xavier. They move so well together. Like they've been practicing the dance for years. How is any of this fair?

"Oh, they do look stunning together," Camila comments.

"She's not even eighteen yet, Camila. That bastard is twenty-two. It's not going to happen," I growl. I try telling myself that I'm saying this because I want to win the bet. Not because I actually want the stupid golden that's always covered in paint.

Like my brother was...

"oh, either, way, I guess the slut's lucky," Camila says.

"What do you mean?" I ask and the music is getting closer to it's end.

"Oh, it's just that if Xavier thinks Amber would be a good fuck, maybe he'll let her live when everything goes to shit," Camila smiles before walking off.

I suddenly notice the couple of guys in identical suits that are slowly, surrounding the ballroom.

But... but the plan is at 11 PM, I tell myself.

I quickly grab my phone that's been on silent from my pocket and gasp at the message from the unknown number.

That was sent half an hour ago...

I look up just in time as the song ends and Amber has an expression of horror before she turns and looks right at me. Her eyes seem to scream at me to run.

And then chaos erupts.

The men that are all wearing similar suits, pull out automatics and start lighting the place up. The gun shots are so loud and I keep getting damn flashbacks from what happened two years ago. The ballroom appearing like an empty street every now and then.

I spot Calvin and yell: "Get down!" just as I stand taller and pull out a gun from my back pocket.

I take careful aim at a particularly nasty-looking guy and fire. He goes down just as his automatic clatters next to him. I run past Calvin and tell him to start taking these fuckers out.

He nods and grabs his own gun, but the buffet tables on the other side of the room suddenly explodes and Calvin's eyes stretches before he jumps up and runs towards the scene: "No!!! Not the fucking food!" he yells and shoots down three guys that are in his way.

Damn, that guy loves his food.

I turn around and duck just in time as someone aims for me. When I feel the bullet whiz above me, I come back up and land three shots in his chest. The guy goes down and I look around for who to kill next.

The place is in hysteria. People are running to get out, but the entrance is too clogged for anyone to make progress. Women in glittering gowns are crying and screaming and those of us that are in gangs, all have our guns out. Even Rhodes and the East are taking out the many guys with automatics.

I run past a pillar and Lynch suddenly grabs me.

"Dude, I need a gun!" he says.

"No, get out of here Lynch!" I yell.

"Stop treating me like a little kid! You don't have to take care of me the whole time! Let me stand for myself," he begs.

My adrenaline is rocketing sky high and I don't have time to argue with him right now.

"Go. Hide," I growl before sprinting towards a new attacker.

All the while my mind is racing with: where's Amber? Where's Amber? Where's Amber? I can't have her die. Not her. Not someone made of paint and everything that's good in this world.

After shooting down another guy, I turn and finally spot Amber.

But, it's nothing like I pictured it.

I can see all the way from here her ocean eyes have turned into shark-infested waters as she blows a piece of golden hair from her face. She punches someone that was about to hit her and when the guy goes lights out, she reaches down to her dress and rips it - creating a slit at her left leg.

And then, this beautiful golden goddess, reaches for the gun that's strapped at her leg and opens fire at whoever is even stupid enough to look at her.

I'm in a trance while I watch her carefully shoot guys at places that aren't going to kill them, but that'll definitely stop them from using their guns.

She whips the gun back and the ammunition falls out before she quickly reloads and rips a slit at the other leg if her dress. She grabs a second gun at her right leg and chucks it at Jessy that has just showed up at the scene.

"Aim and shoot," Amber orders before continuing her shooting spree.

I quickly snap out of my trance long enough to hear someone running up to me. I turn and duck before aiming. But, I quickly stop myself before I can shoot Liam.

"Where's Jessy?" he begs.

"Don't worry, your girl and Amber has got it covered," I reassure my friend before picking up a fallen automatic and chucking it at him. "Go make these Northern bastards pay," I say and watch Liam run towards where Jessy and Amber are located.

I spot Rhodes again as he drops his gun and goes one on one with three guys. The boxing is really paying off as he kicks and jabs his way through his attackers.

I turn back at the ballroom and spot Xavier at the top of the staircase - smiling down at the scene.

Lifting my gun, I take aim of the bastard and we lock eyes.

He smiles before making his way down the stairs. I fire, but only hear a click when I realize I'm out of bullets.

"Fuck," I mutter before dropping the gun and sprinting towards Xavier.

The guy keeps his feral calm smile when I reach him and he easily avoids my first punch.

"You're a fucking coward!" I growl and jab for his side.

He dodges my attacks and keeps the defensive position as he twist and turns to avoid my blows.

"And you're but a child," Xavier chuckles before switching to attacking.

He has this wicked smile as he kicks my leg and punches my cheek when I wince in pain. I stumble and that gives Xavier the opportunity to kick me off my feet - sending me sliding across the floor.

I plan to jump up and continue our fight, but there's a heavy pain in my chest from the power kick and Xavier is already walking away to deal with the now approaching Rhodes.

God, I knew Xavier was planning something, but I didn't expect so many guys with automatics to show up. There's no way that all of them are actually in the Northern gang... He must have hired these people or teamed up with another gang...

I stay on the floor and when I look up, Camila is running towards Amber from behind. I don't even have the breath to warn Amber as Camila tackles her. Amber's gun goes sliding away, but the girl quickly twists from under Camila and kicks her off.

"I've tried being nice!" Amber yells and flips back onto her feat.

Horrified, Camila scrambles up, but quickly pastes a cocky smirk when she lowers herself in a fighting stance.

"My brother tought me how to fight," Camila says.

"And I'm going to teach you to be a nicer fucking person next time," Amber growls before attacking.

I'll give Camila credits for holding her own at one point, but there's this violent force behind Amber's moves that I know all too well...

It's the darkness... Where I find myself now, Amber will find herself as well if she doesn't pull herself back...

Amber roundhouse kicks Camila and the latter blocks it, but grabs for her arm when the pain settles. Amber twists around and lands a power punch right onto Camila's chin and the girl lowers before Amber kicks her in the stomach.

Camila cries out, but Amber has no mercy as she spins her body, gaining momentum, and landing a power kick across Camilla's soon-to-be-purple cheek.

Camila goes down cold, but Amber doesn't stop.

Instead, she picks up her fallen gun and aims at the unconscious girl.

Rhodes is fighting Xavier, but the guy is good enough to have a moment where he sees Amber aiming her gun at Camila. He ignores it before turning back to Xavier. Rhodes doesn't seem to care about Amber staining her soul.

A buried part of me knows that if Amber kills that girl, she won't be getting out of the darkness soon.

So, with the last bit of strength I've got, I jump up and dive for Amber.

She fires the gun just as I tackle her and then looks back up at me with clear, horrified eyes.

"What did I do..." she whispers.

I feel a pain at my side and when I pull my shirt up, I notice it's just a graze from the bullet. I turn back and Camila is still on the ground, but not shot. Not dead.

"You didn't kill anyone," I reassure Amber.

"I wanted to..." she whispers.

"I won't let you," I promise her, because I'd never want someone as pure and good as Amber to fall to where I am now. To have her mind corrupted and her soul stained.

"You're hurt," she points out.

"Its nothing," I reassure Amber and pull her back up.

I'm taller so when she looks up at me, she looks so vulnerable with her smeared makeup and wild hair that got lose through all the commotion.

"I knew about the plans... I should've told you guys," she says. Her lip starts to quiver.

"I also knew," I admit and grip her shoulder because she looks like she might break.

She drops her gun and we turn around when we hear a loud yell coming from Jessy.

There, on the other side of the ballroom is Liam - bleeding onto the floor and Jessy that's clutching him. "Stay with me!" Jessy yells as tears stream down her face.

"Oh god..." Amber whispers.

Pain settles into my chest when Liam looks like a fallen soldier. His chest is still rising and lowering so he might make it if we get out of here now.

"We need to get everyone out," I tell Amber.

She nods, but when we turn back to the ballroom, Xavier is standing there with his gun raised. Owen is a defeated pulp on the floor behind him.

"The East and West are just a couple of boys trying to play in a game for grown-ups," Xavier smirks.

"Pig!" Amber shouts.

He sends her a wink, "I'll deal with you later," he says.

"NO! I HAVE HAD IT WITH PEOPLE TREATING ME LIKE AN OBJECT!" she exclaims.

Xavier raises his eyebrows as Amber's ocean eyes turn dangerous again.

"You!" she yells, "You are responsible for the Sterling murders! The North killed members of the Sterling gang!" she accuses.

It's a bold statement, because my money is still on Rhodes and the East.

"What would the Sterling gang be to you?" Xavier asks. His gun is still raised more towards me which lets me breathe a tight breath of relief.

"My dad was in the gang!" Amber growls.

Xavier raises his eyebrows, "Well, this changes a few things," he says and then aims at Amber.

The golden girl doesn't even flinch as she says: "I am not afraid. Much less of death."

"Oh, dear Amber Marigold, there are things much worse than death," Xavier snickers, "Ask poor Owen Rhodes how his father is coping with that wheelchair."

Owen stirs from behind Xavier, but he's too weak to get up.

"I wonder what gold looks like when it falls into darkness," Xavier muses to himself. "Goodbye, Amber Marigold," he says and squeezes the trigger.

"No!" I yell out and dive in front of Amber.

It's this slow motion moment where the world is blurring all around me and all I can think about is how I should've been the one to die and not my brother. How the world is so much darker when an painter dies and that if Amber... This girl I've known for less than two weeks... That has managed to make me see color for a few moments... if Amber Marigold dies, it's not only my house that would have a lack of color.

The universe will turn into a shade of ash and all the stars might blink out of existence.

I hear the gun shot just as I land on top of Amber.

The breath leaves our lungs for a moment before she scrambles out from under me and looks me over with shock. "What did you do?" she asks.

But my heart stops when I don't feel pain.

When I'm not shot...

I look up at the sound of a gun that clatters.

Xavier is on the ground - struggling to get back up and a step away from him is Lynch with his goofy smile and wild hair.

"I did something useful," he announces as Xavier drags himself up and runs away.

"Yes you did, you idiot,' I say back. Amber helps me up and her smile is nothing short of radiant.

But then Lynch's smile falters.

Everything becomes quiet and loud at the same time as he slowly reaches with his hand at the back of his head. The world completely stops as Lynch brings his hand back - covered in a dark red.

"I... I wasn't expecting that," he says before falling to the floor.

And not getting back up.

Hey goldies!

THIS IS THE END OF THE BOOK.

TGAAGG ENDS HERE.

I wanted to end the book on something like this because, well, I'm just not feeling it anymore and I'd rather end it strong than just.... eh. You know what I mean?

Goodbye and I hope you enjoyed the story!

It was a great ride!

~ Holly Shmit

I'M KIDDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OF COURSE THIS ISN'T HOW IT ENDS! MWAHAHAAHAHA!

Annnnnnnnnnnd if it gets 400 votes I might let Lynch live. MIGHT.

700 votes and Lynch definitely survives.

Lol, I'm cruel, because my chapters barely get over 300 votes even though like 1.5k people read it so..... GHOST READERS YOU BETTER HELP OUT.

~ Holly Shmit

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

50.7K 1.8K 42
I suddenly crashed to the floor, my papers flying everywhere "Watch where you're going, Jesus!" The middle one said and kept walking. "Hey, asshole...
262K 10.8K 25
"I knew if I wanted a relationship, I should find someone else. But I didn't want anyone else and I still don't." I managed to take his arm from arou...
11.8K 1.1K 34
"What's wrong with you?" I asked, finally tired with his annoying stares. "What's your deal with Lucas?" He asked back, gritting his teeth. Geez what...
28.2K 960 28
Complete! "You know I really like you, right?" He was definitely drunk. "You do?" I asked. My voice was supposed to be teasing, but I think it ca...