Sleeping With Snakes ~ A Dram...

By IRiSEaGLeS

8th year, meant to be a quiet, uneventful year after the fall of Voldemort. Most of the famous class that beg... More

Never Choose Dare
Love Letters
Voting
Results
Parent Trap
Beauty and the Beast
Prophet-ic Fun
In Sync
20 (Or 200) Questions
Honesty is the Best Policy?
Nuclear Fallout
Operation "Baby Malfoy"
No Condition
Mystery Boxes
Heart to HELP!
Love, Mother
After the Holidays
Of Babies and Betrothals
Literally Everything
Arts & Crafts
Only A Fantasy

In 5 Years

3.4K 74 8
By IRiSEaGLeS

Dinner that night rolled around and it was solemn. Harry and I went over more of what happened to us on the run, and the parts about what happened at Malfoy Manor Draco told for me. No one said anything, just let us tell our story, until we sat around the big bonfire making American style s'mores.

"How can you forgive him? You two are together after everything he put you through. It is something I still don't completely understand," the therapist healer stated and many of our classmates nodded in agreement.

I thought about my words carefully. I needed to get this right. Not just for me, or Draco, or Harry. But just 'right'. Whatever that was.

"I understand where Draco came from. I saw his home. I knew of the bigotry that surrounded his youth. When we were in the Manor, that day, I saw the pain that he was going through also. There was something deep down, he didn't need to tell me, but a fear. He lived in fear also. Just like Harry, Ron and I did. Our fear was what was 'out there' - Voldemort. His fear was the same but it was where he was. He lived in a constant state of fear also and it showed. Harry had told us about what happened on the Astronomy tower. But I didn't understand until that day. I looked to him when..." He took my hand because it was tracing my scar and had me rest my head on his shoulder, "I looked to him when his aunt... He held my gaze. Never wavered. He looked to be pleading with me, scared for me."

"Because I couldn't see you die. I cared too much for you love," he whispered and I looked up into his tearfilled eyes.

"I forgave him that night for everything in the past he did to hurt me. I honestly believe if it weren't for Draco and Dobby of course, I wouldn't have made it out of the Manor that night. It is my place to forgive him, and no one should judge either of us for it."

"I remember too much from that night," he began. "Everything from being called down to identify three people caught to listening to her cries. I think that night everything broke within me. It wasn't doing what my family wanted anymore, because I had just been surviving for so long. It was having them survive and thank Merlin, win. Everyday I look at her and wonder why I get to be forgiven, who am I to deserve it? Who am I to deserve this woman's love like she has given me?" His head bowed, "I will never deserve her, but every day I strive to deserve just her forgiveness. She makes me a better man. She makes this world a better place."

There could have been a pin dropped in the castle and we would have heard it. Everyone took it in. It seemed like an hour passed like this, in painful yet thoughtful silence, before the therapist healer spoke again, "I see that many of us, me included, have to think on the words said tonight. Why don't we all call it a night and resume in the morning. We have more fun activities planned. Good night everyone."

There were mumbles of friends saying their good nights. Draco, Harry and I just stayed watching the fire.

"You three are stronger than anyone gives you credit for." She spoke to us directly. "I mean what you went through Harry is legendary. Hermione, you are an exemplary and strong witch. Draco, the tragedy that you have suffered through unimaginable. I suggest you three stay here tonight and talk anything else out. None of you have brought up the third member of the famous trio, the one that isn't here today, Ronald Weasley. I don't know if it is too fresh or what, but you shouldn't let it stew for too long. Talk about him tonight. Just the three of you. I want to see you before breakfast."

We three remained silent for quite some time. Finally Harry broke, "I don't think there is enough firewhiskey in Hogsmeade to discuss Ron tonight."

Draco chuckled and I just nodded in agreement. Leaning back, I watched the stars come out and took in the insignificance of my life. I have done so much in such a short time, but in the grand scheme of the universe it meant less than a grain of sand. At that moment, I didn't know if that was calming or terrifying.

I heard Harry next to me take a deep breath before starting, "Ginny told me that Molly hasn't killed him. Yet. But if he remains an arse much longer, she is going to let George use him as a test dummy. To quote George, 'he has the dummy part down. Now I just need to test him.'" We sort of laughed at that.

"I miss George," I sighed.

"Other than Ginny, George is the most likeable Weasley. And baby, I like Ginny only because she is your best friend," Draco flat out lied. He appreciated Ginny more than he was willing to admit, nor will he ever admit.

We were silent for a long time again before it was my turn, "I don't think I can ever trust Ronald again. Ever. I love his family, I feel like they are my family in a way, but he... he can just disappear and I won't feel any regret."

"At least you won't have to go to every family event forever and see the git. Ginny said we only will get so many 'feebies' before Molly will expect Gin and I to attend," Harry lamented. There was a resignation in his voice that showed his support for me, yet balancing his probably future in-laws desires. "Molly wanted me to relay that you can come over as much or as little as you feel comfortable. And Draco, you're welcome whenever also. You both have Molly and Arthur's full support in whatever you decide."

"I will leave those decisions to Hermione. But tell the Weasleys we both appreciate the sentiment." His pureblood mannerisms show. Knowing him, he will follow it up with a grateful owl and some type of gift.

"But Ronald..." I say quietly. "We've been through so much with him, Harry. I still can't believe he could turn on me - on us - like he did."

"Baby, we've talked about this. He was jealous. You and Harry had all the fame. But you also did a majority of the work. Harry had to die - literally. You were tortured to..." He gagged on his own words. "Weasley he... tagged along. What monumental thing did he do? Honestly, even Longbottom killed the snake. Weasley he destroyed a locket. Something that didn't even move. Not something that he can really hang his hat on."

"He had his moments." I recall. The whole remembering how to open the Chamber, the Room of Requirement not being on the map... there were a few, and at some appropriate times, but he's right.

"He also was there when we needed it." Harry tried to reason, sounding like he was reasoning with himself.

"Fine," my prince huffed, "let me play devil's advocate here. Something I am accustomed to doing anyways. First year, he didn't like you love. He called you names. If it weren't for Harry here, you would have been troll dung by now. Weasley may have beaten the thing, but if I heard correctly it was at your direction and Harry's guts that lead him to save you in the first place."

I couldn't deny the veracity to that. Harry and I looked at each other, nodding.

"Second, let's fast forward to fourth year. There was a noticeable rift between the three of you. It was felt throughout the whole school. We Slytherins, enjoyed it immensely. At the time I know I hoped that it would break your little clique up for good."

We nod again.

"Then you both have said that sixth year he dated the blint Brown pretty much out of spite. If I wasn't preoccupied, trust me love, I would have been there for you."

My heart sinks a little listening to my prince go over year by year how we were used by Ronald. He duped us, it feels like.

"What did he really give to the three of you? He gave his family. The Weasleys. Is that something he could really 'give'? Yes he looks at you, Harry, like a brother. Hell, you probably will be his brother. Looking what you two have been through together, does that equal everything out? Especially after this year?" He looked at us emploring for an answer. One that Harry and I still probably don't want to give. It is too fresh. It may have been just a while ago that we won the war, but the battle scar that Ronald left still bleeds. "One last thing, this summer. What was that like for you both? You two stood up for Mother and I during our trials. But Weasley wasn't there. Neither of you have really said, but what happened there?"

I groan, because I know in my head that it was the start of the end of us. Truely. Completely. "He didn't agree with us. With us standing up for what you and your mother did." My shaky hand grips his tighter, "He said he needed to mourn with his family and wanted to stay away from anyone and everyone associated with the death of his brother. Including you."

I could see Harry still struggling for the words, "He has it in his mind that everyone on 'that side' killed his brother. No matter if it was their wand or not that did it. He can't seem to separate one person's actions from anothers. It's wrong. I know it. I can't hold Snape accountable for Voldemort's actions. I can't hold you accountable for the actions of your aunt. Each person has free will. Each person has a choice to act - be it for the good or bad - or not. Ron, doesn't see it. He sees in extremes - all black or all white. If you associate with the black, your actions may be for the white, but you are black. I keep thinking back to what Sirius told me about everyone having some light and dark in them. Ron has a hard time with that."

We fall silent once again, until Draco breaks it, "Hypocritical wouldn't you say. He who hovered in the grey for so long, whose actions both hurt and helped but did more hurt, he hangs on to the fact that he was on the right side to justify his 'goodness'. Honestly, I give more props to Snape than Weasley. Snape acted for the light, Weasley was in the light but his loyalties was much more questionable."

I laid my head down on Draco, who wrapped his arms around me. Harry pulled my legs onto his, so 'not to give us any ideas' and to 'protect my virtue like any good brother would'. We laughed at that as the three of us continued to watch the flames and the stars late into the night.

The next morning Seamus, Dean, Neville, Blaise and Theo were standing over us with Pansy taking pictures.

"This one must find its way to Skeeter. Just to have a little fun with the Prophet," she proclaimed.

"You're evil Pans. You're as evil as Voldemort," my prince grumbled. "Somebody please warn Mother about this. She will have a fit that I slept outside."

Pansy made a sound that was a cross between a huff and a snort. It was actually quite comical. Theo made a face at her, "What was that noise Parkinson? Oh lovebirds, the therapist healer wants to see you down by the lake."

We nod to Theo as Pansy tries to explain to Theo it was a dignified snort, one that since a 'proper lady doesn't snort, that is the closest thing because she hangs around these degenerate men too much.'

Harry laughed at the explanation, while Draco just silently agreed. He snuggled his head into the crux of my neck, "She and Mother can't wait to get their claws in you to teach you all the stupid etiquette lessons that we have been subjected to. But we do need to warn Mother. This will be as scandalous as you grinding Weasley."

I swat his arm as the three of us stretch and make our way down to the lake. By the time we make it to the therapist healer, we are laughing thinking about the reactions of the Malfoy heir and his 'pregnant girlfriend' sleeping outside with the boy-who-lived.

"Well it seems like you three are in a good mood. I can assume that you all talked about the missing member." The three of us nod before she continues, "Well what have you come to? Are you comfortable discussing it with me?"

Draco looks between the two of us, his look asking if we want him here for this discussion. I nod to him, holding onto his arm, "I am comfortable if Harry is." He nods so I continue, "it took an outsider" I nudge Draco, "to show the strained relationship through the years. Harry relayed that the Weasleys don't feel any different to Harry nor I, and have included Draco as part of their family."

"It was a little intense, but we wouldn't have come to this end without Draco's help," Harry offers. "He showed us Ron's true colors haven't changed, we just didn't see it as what it was. I feel comfortable in my decision to not have him part of us anymore."

"I agree," I chime in. "He has hurt me in different ways over many years. I don't think it would have changed with time. I think he would only get more dependant on Harry and I if we progressed in a relationship. He 'saw us married', but now I think he needs someone like his mum instead of me to really be happy. I am just glad to be still accepted by the rest of the Weasleys."

Draco shrugs, "I never liked the weasel, so it is no loss for me. Actually I am grateful for his loss."

"Where do you see yourselves in five years? And where does Ronald fit in?"

Harry and I had our eyes pop out at the question. It is really something we have talked about in the abstract, but never with Ronald in the picture.

"Well, he probably will be part of my family," Harry thinks aloud, "so I will have to see him at big events like weddings and Christmas. But I don't see us hanging out as friends. Professionally, I see myself as an auror and probably in five years married to Ginny."

The therapist healer nods, moving his gaze to Draco, "Professionally, eh I will manage the Malfoy organizations, that's a given. Actually I start right out of school. Personally, I see myself with this beauty." He holds me tighter to his side, "We are already talking about where we want to live out of school. Any relations with Weasley will be through Hermione."

She makes an agreeing sound as her gaze turns to me, "You are the one I am most interested in hearing from. It seems like you are the linchpin as to any further relationship with Ronald."

"At this time he has a long way to go to gain my forgiveness. I don't know if it is possible. I need him to show that he is truly sorry. I just don't see him doing that anytime soon. He's too stubborn." I reach for Harry, "But I would never hinder Harry's relationship with the Weasleys since they really are his family, and it is only time before it is official."

"Good, it sounds like you have really thought about this. I am glad to see that you not only are in agreement, but you understand the position each of you have individually. Harry's position with respect to Ronald will always differ from Hermione's. And Draco's completely differs from either of you. You must recognize these differences and try and understand them. You will drift apart in some ways over the years, that is part of growing up. Don't let those changes affect your underlying friendship. Don't let Ronald wedge himself into breaking you up. Acknowledge that you will have different roles, just like you did in the war. Don't let those differences break you; remember to use them to grow."

The three of us nod, taking it in. Everything changes. Change is inevitable. But who we align ourselves with do influence us. Seeing the changes in the Slytherins here, I see the extent that people can change. Seeing the way that Ronald has reacted to me, I see how he can change. Change can be good or it can be bad. Yet nothing will change the bond between Harry and I and now Draco.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.6M 51.2K 25
Harry has had weird years at Hogwarts, but his sixth year is possibly the most confusing and weirdest year. Hermione is moody, Snape keeps disappeari...
266 20 14
Harry defeated Voldemort. He done it, then he went back to school. For one last year. But nothing else went to plan for Harry, why should this? I do...
40K 1.2K 79
After the war, Hermione Granger was excited to go back to Hogwarts for her final year. Voldemort was gone, Harry, Ron and her had somehow managed to...
398K 8.5K 11
Hermione Granger is invited back to a 15 year reunion at Hogwarts. She hasn't seen her friends since she left school. She pretty much disappeared off...