Enemies By Law

By Mysterious_Writer

Sapphire loved her family, especially her awkwardly still in love parents who she admired, so when she came b... More

Enemies By Law
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter ten: The unofficial date
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter 15

Chapter Three

50.5K 2.3K 467
By Mysterious_Writer

"You alright?"

I looked at Austin who was sitting beside me in the car clutching my hand like a toddler.

"No," I said clearing my throat, the last event I had been to like this was nearly four or five years ago, while Austin and Stephen probably went to it nearly ever month with dad. Mum and I would stay home, both preferring to be out of the spotlight.

"You'll be fine, you look great if that counts for anything couz" Austin said nudging me before going back to talk to Stephen. I swallowed, I better be. I felt so out of place in this dress and heels. 

I should have known something was up when Stephen told me they were coming over, I thought it was just a family gathering which we did way to often, not a night out where all the family had to go.

I couldn't even play the jet lag card, the plane was meant to take an hour but it didn't.

It didn't help Austin had burst into my room jumping on me like I was some mattress, they didn't believe the concussed card either.

I watched as the cars started lining up at the red carpet that led into the large banquet hall, I could also see the flashes from the photographers outside.

It was the biggest business Christmas party, which means all the business owners and sponsors would be there. I shrugged out off my jacket now before I forget and watched as our parents got out in the car in front of us. 

Dad stepped out first and held out a hand for mum and I nearly laughed when Uncle Adrian took is stepping out. I could even see dad's angry face as he tried not to hit him across in front of everyone.

Soon it was our turn and I groaned as the door opened.

"Welcome to hell," whispered Tristan as he appeared out of no where beside the carpet as I got out.

"Are you joining us?"

"No, I get to escape this torture," he said before Stephen dragged me onto the carpet and I was flanked as we entered inside, the lights so bright I was sure my eyes were going to be blind for a while.

The noise level dropped intensely as I stared at the massive hall decorated, the town hall. It was in the middle of the city and was prestigious, a heritage building I was sure. There were women dressed over flamboyantly in dresses and jewelry as they walked around holding their husbands like trophies.

And then there was my parents, mum who went straight for the champagne table dragging Uncle Adrian and dad following right behind with Aunt Rose. They were one of a kind.

A hand linked through mine and I nearly fell as Austin dragged me, "Come on Fire, live a little," he grabbed a glass of wine from the passing waiter and shoved it into my hand and I stepped back as the liquid swished inside.

"I don't like wine," I said but he was gone leaving me handing a tall glass filled with liquid. I sniffed it walking towards the stairs in the corner, away from all the people, god it smelt revolting. I looked up at the chairs that surrounded the upper area, usually the town hall was used for plays, concerts, events for school. But every now and then it was used for parties like these. 

Being in the middle of CBD, the city of Melbourne it was one of the best places to hold it. The stage had chairs and tables filled with trophies, no doubt dad would get another one for the most successful business, however many years in a row but right now there was a band playing live music.

The town hall had many halls or more smaller rooms for people to socialize, grab a bite to eat.

I looked around, where on earth did they all go to, leaving me by myself, that was nice.

I leaned against the wall looking around as people socialized, where was dad, I had slipped my phone into his before we got in knowing that my dress has no pockets. I looked at the plant beside me, was it real? 

I leaned over touching the leaf, no it was not, so why did it have real fertilizer around it?

I looked around, there were barely anyone here, would anyone noticed if I poured my wine into the soil?

I bit my lip tilting the glass when I heard a voice clear behind me, "I know what you did,"

I shot up straight my heart skipping a beat as I turned around staring into cobalt blue eyes.

"I didn't do it," was the first thing that came out of my mouth before I shut them, nice one Sapphire, act like a kid. I opened my eyes hearing a chuckle and rubbed the back of my neck nervously while holding the glass in the other hand. 

Why was I even thinking about pouring this in the fake tree, mum would freak thinking I killed it, but it was fake.

"I was only joking, Preston," he said holding a hand out, "You can shake it, or else I might have to report you for killing that plant,"

I cracked a nervous grin placing my hand in his, "The plants fake," I said scratching my head and looking back at it, yep definitely fake.

"I'm only kidding with you, you don't like wine?" I looked down at my glass and shrugged, "Not my thing," 

"I know this sounds like a total cliche pick up line, but do I know you?"

I raised an eyebrow, it did sound like a total cliche pick up line. 

"I'm being serious," he added.

"I highly doubt that,"

"You sure?"

"Well I've been inter-state for the last four years, so yes I am sure we haven't met before," I said. He frowned nodding, "Interesting," He said.

"You haven't been in the papers or anything lately?"

"No but my dad has?"

"Who's your dad?" he said his eyebrows knotting as he thought about it, I laughed I was sure recognition would hit his face as soon as I said the name but someone else bet me to it.

"I am,"

I spun around and blinked, "Dad," I said, well this was a surprise, now I see him. He smiled and I awkwardly cleared my throat, well this was awkward. I watched as Preston held out a hand looking slightly scared.

"Mr Q-quartz, pleasure to meet you, I'm Pr-," 

"I know who you are," I bit my lip from laughing as Preston started growing a shade of pink as my dad shook his hand.

"You don't mind if I borrow my daughter for a bit, do you?"

"Of course not, she's your daughter,"

"Thank you," said dad taking the glass out of my hand, "Why are you drinking this nasty stuff," and gave it to Preston who was standing there like a statue and then wrapped a hand around my shoulder pulling me away.

"Well that was fun," he said and I burst out laughing as we walked back into the main foyer, "Anyways that's why I came to get you, I need a favor," he stopped walking and pulled out my phone from his pocket handing it over, life saver.

"I need you to watch over your mum while I have a quick meeting in the cigar room," I nodded switching my phone back on.

"Can do," I said looking up. He gave me a half hug kissing my cheek, "Good, I'll get you when it's over,"

"Where is she?"

"It's your mother," he said raising an eyebrow. Oh right of course, I nodded raising a finger to show him I got it and walked around walking towards the food room. I walked back into the foyer and looked around but there was no sign of Preston, I smiled shaking my head, dad probably scared the shit out of him.

I walked as fast as I could and sure enough my mother was sitting on the chair with a plate of sweets looking bored.

"Mum," 

She brightened up smiling as I walked over and she waved me down patting the seat next to her, "Sapphire, I'm bored," 

"Join the club," I said as I unlocked my phone crossing my legs and looking around. 

"When can we go?" I asked her and she shrugged just as a figure came out of no where.

"I got it! Oh hey Saph,"

"Uncle," I said nodding before going back to my phone browsing through my messages and replying to them.

"Always on your phone," uncle Adrian commented as he pulled a chair over.

"Just like Dairy," said mum grabbing the glass from him.

"You didn't get it from me," and she nodded and I rolled my eyes, here they thought they were being so smart but I was sure dad knew when mum had her champagne, hell we all knew.

"Where's aunty Rose?" I asked looking up.

"Chasing the boys down," mum said leaning her head against my shoulder, "Who's that?" she said nodding to the person I was texting.

"Just a friend from Uni, Sasha," 

"Oh yea, you're early, I thought you were coming on Christmas Eve," I stiffened, crap. Think of something Sapphire.

"Um, I, yea I got a holiday leave," I said shrugging, she hummed before going back to dissecting the cake on her plate and I sighed, that was close.

"I'm glad you're back," she leaned over wrapping an arm around me, "You're a workaholic," 

"Not as much as dad," 

"No you're about the same, here eat," the next thing I knew was a slice of caramel cake being shoved in my mouth.

"Thanks," I caught half the cake as it dropped out of my mouth.

"You're disgusting, learn some manners," snapped Uncle Adrian but the smile on him face said a completely different thing.

"Do you want it?" I asked holding my hand out, "Oh god Saph," he yelled standing up. I laughed and mum told us off as she scraped it off with a napkin.

"Naughty child, I'm going to tell your dad,"

I rolled my eyes, like dad would believe anything that came out of his mouth.

"Tell me what?" I jumped in my seat as we all turned to see dad standing there, hands in his pocket and leaning back on his feet cool as a cucumber, how did he do that? None of us even noticed him walk in and I was practically staring at the doorway by the way I was sitting.

"Dairy!"

I grunted as mum jumped up knocking my head forward, she threw her arms over him, or tried seeing as he was significantly taller than her. 

"Adrian," 

"I didn't give her anything, I swea-oh right," he said looking at the champagne glass on her hair.

"You know how hyper she is with sugar, let alone alcohol,"

"Let's dance," 

I watched trying not to laugh as she dragged him towards the dance floor, tripping numerous times over her long dark blue dress and I smiled. 

"That's it," snapped Adrian standing up.

"What?"

"All these couples are making me sick, where the hell is my wife?"

I smiled looking around, "Well since she is one of the event organizers she's probably busy with people more important than you,"

Uncle Adrian scoffed waving a hand around, "There is no one more important than me, I'm going to go find her," and with that he threw his suit jacket back on and stormed off, I let him not telling him that he was going the wrong way.

"Oh my god Saph, you have to try these,"

Austin and Stephen came towards me running holding plates of food, "These are amazing," I grimaced seeing a half eaten sausage in his mouth.

"I'll pass," I said getting up stepping over the chaos that was on the ground, no doubt thanks to Adrian.

"Where are you going?"

I looked at Stephen, "To pee, do you want to come?"

He grimaced waving a hand, thought so. I smiled shaking my head turning around only to come fact first into a white shirt. 

"Oh look, it's tree killer,"

I looked up, Preston.

 Not Edited Sorry, Yay Preston has been introduced, anyone hate him yet? Or are we all for them? 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

483K 14K 34
Adrain Ivan Stone, a rich, handsome not to mention incredibly rude billionaire who, believes that love only happens in crappy TV shows Harmony Beverl...
1.4M 48.9K 39
Getting married to the love of your life is everyone's dream. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Drea Miles was in love with someone who didn't even know...
1.1M 34.2K 66
WARNING: THIS BOOK IS CUTE, HOT, SWEET, SEXY, ROMANTIC, MUSSY, DRAMATIC, EMOTIONAL, INTENSE. Beware. EXTRACT (SUMMARY BELOW): “Like father, like son...
474K 17.5K 28
Arranged marriage? In this day and age? Seriously? That's the proposition Elizabeth Westville, a young beautiful heiress, has to face in order to bri...