Carlton ✔

By TheEuphoricWriter

[COMPLETED] [Selected for @ProjectBadboys official reading list: Knights] Carlton Hargrave is arrogant and ut... More

✦| Introduction
✦| Prologue
2| The Masquerade Mishap
3| The Runaway Blonde
4| The Whimsical Escape
5| The Northwing Gunshots
6| The Unwinding Pursuit
7| The Homicidal Duo
8| The Dating Deal
9| The Dynamite Girl
10| The Unforeseen Encounter
11| The Safehouse Ambush
12| The Redhead's Condo
13| The Unravelling Past
14| The Puzzling Letter
15| The Anticipated End
16| The Unceremonious Plan
17| The Price Villa
18| The Red Flower
BOOK TRAILER
19| The Killer Instinct
20| The Erroneous Murder
21| The Truthful Lies
22| The Shady Conundrums
23| The Implausible Secret
24| The Broken Wings
25| The Hot Pursuit
26| The Mysterious Stalker
27| The First Step
28| The Ice Princess
29| The Ballroom Death
30| The Backalley Shootings
31| The Unfolding Fates
32| The Unsettling Claim
33| The Dreaded Conference
34| The Ulterior Motive
35| The Startling Destiny
36| The Bloodshot Schemes
37| The Raving Monster
38| The Unplanned Escape
39| The Crumbling Faith
40| The Assassination Attempt
41| The Unfortunate Events
42| The Unhinged Heartbeats
43| The Uncertain Decision
44| The Awful Mistake
45| The Welcomed Burden
46| The Scathed Wits
47| The Last Fight
48| The Avid Breakout
49| The Bewildering Embrace
50| The New Hargrave
✦| Epilogue

1| The Bancroft Family

1.7K 121 729
By TheEuphoricWriter

Dedicated to:kisacollins

Thanks a tonne for being so supportive in my endeavors! I really appreciate your sweet comments and votes ^^

"Listen, smile, agree. And then do whatever the fuck you were going to do anyway."

~ Pinterest

Carlton's POV

It was late in the evening. New York City dwelled with bustling tourists, screaming vehicles, and singing lights.

Beyond the horizon, the sun illuminated the shimmering haze of pollution. In the far distance, the silhouette of the skyline pierced through the warm glow like a jagged mountain ridge. The structures glimmered under the faint moonlight of the crescent peeking from the clouds.

My two thousand dollar, heavy brogue shoes, carved solely out of the rarest of the rare fabrics, made hefty clicking sounds as I walked up the gargantuan marble stairs of, supposedly, the most expensive hotel in NYC.

As I made my way from amid the crowds of people, with dresses and gowns, each with a fancy mask to fit the theme of their costumes, they threw glances towards me, trying to catch a glimpse of the son of one of the biggest billionaires in the country.

My suit was tailored to stand out.

It did.

I could easily bet, in this entire masquerade party, my custom made attire was the most phenomenal and expensive. The awe-inspiring, four thousand-dollar suit hung from my shoulders, catering to six of the world's rarest fabrics.

I lived by the quote – dress to impress.

My guard leaned towards me, asking if I wanted to put my mask on. I shrugged it off. I was here to do business, not have fun.

The champagne glasses shimmered under the bright lights of the gigantic chandeliers hanging from the ceilings as I tried to avoid eye contact with people who were trying to start a conversation with me.

"Dude, this party sucks."

I stopped when I heard that, inhaled sharply, and turned around. Staring deeply into the eyes of my friend, I exclaimed, "Listen to me Dylan, we're not here to enjoy this party but to finish a task, and then we're outta here so kindly shut your mouth for a few minutes, thank you."

"I know, man!" Dylan whined, "I'm just saying that this party sucks. I mean, just look at you rich brats. What's fun about standing in groups and drinking champagne that costs my whole rent? I'd rather pass out at a cheap local bar or something."

"Only, you don't pay your rent. I do. So shut the fuck up and look for that man."

"I don't even know what he looks like."

I whipped my head around, cursing my situation slightly. I didn't want to be here either, but for a different reason and Dylan wasn't making it any easier for me.

My numerous endeavors to call my elder brother were useless; he never picked up his phone when I called.

Moron!

All of a sudden, Dylan let out a slow whistle beside me, nudging my arm urgently, "Dude, look at that...damn."

I followed his gaze and my eyes landed on a girl in the far end of the hall, talking to a bunch of people. She looked as normal as every other girl here but without a mask. Only her glistening white gown stood out. I wondered if that was what attracted my friend's attention.

"She's hot," he muttered and began walking towards her.

My eyes widened when I realized who she was and jogged after Dylan. Hooking my arms around his, I pulled him back into the crowd before he stole disgustful glances.

"What in the world do you think you're doing?!" I whispered harshly, "This is not your typical college party where you walk up to to a girl and hit it! Do you even know who she is?!"

"Dude I don't even know who the fuck I am anymore!"

I growled with anger at his stupidity and began to have second thoughts about bringing him here. "Her name is Alexandra Bancroft, she's way way out of your league. She's the daughter of one of the most influential businessman this year - Albrecht Bancroft - who also happens to be the person we were looking for."

"You sound like a fan."

"That's because I am!" I whispered, glancing at the Mr.Bancroft, standing proudly alongside his daughter, talking to other businessmen that I knew about too. "He is very hardworking and went from being broke to making it as big as my father."

"Pfft, as if you give a shit about any of those things."

I glared angrily at Dylan for making that unnecessary and untrue comment.

"I'm sorry," he chuckled as a response, "Why were we here, again?"

Still clutching his arm, I said, "I'm here to make an impression on Mr.Bancroft and his daughter."

"Why?"

"Because my asshole of a brother decided to partner with him and since he doesn't have time to attend this party, he wants me to represent him here."

"Cool! Let's go!" Dylan began to walk over to them.

And yet again, I grabbed his arm and yanked him back. "Where do you think you're going, Dylan? You're staying right here."

"Hey! I wanna sound professional and expensive too!"

"Cut it, will you? Can't you see how important this is? Does this look like a joke to you?"

"Hey, I can talk like a rich person, alright?" He cleared his throat and muttered in a deep and husky voice, "Uhm excuse me but my poodle only drinks sparkling bottled water fresh from the Himalayas. See?!"

I stared at him expressionless until he groaned.

"Fine! I'll stay here!"

Gritting my teeth together, I walked away from him. Bringing him here was the biggest mistake. All I wanted was to show him my lifestyle and help him get accustomed to it.

Never again will I try that.

Swiftly, I picked up a champagne glass from the tray of a butler passing by and focused my thoughts on the task.

All I had to do was go up to them and make a good impression on Mr.Bancroft, which was no big deal at all. I was already the limelight in the eyes of every person who saw me that night.

But there was one hurdle that I was a bit concerned about - Mr. Garrett North, the businessman who hated my elder brother to the point where he attempted to scam his entire business - and he was here talking to Mr.Bancroft and his daughter, chatting and laughing.

This was going to be fun.

I walked over to them, confidently and arrogantly, taking a sip of the drink from my flute. "Mr. Bancroft?"

The aged man turned around and his face brightened when he saw me. "Hargrave! Oh how long I've waited to meet you."

"It's a pleasure to finally get a chance to meet you, Sir."

"Ally?" He ushered his daughter towards me. "This is Carlton, Caden Hargrave's younger brother."

Alexandra nodded at me, giving me a small smile that screamed elegance. Now that I saw her up close, she really was beautiful.

Her flowing, white gown encasing her ivory skin, shimmered under the lights; the blood-red lipstick enhanced her sharp features, contrasting with her sky blue eyes and straight, long, platinum blonde hair that she tied up into a bun, in the most beautiful manner possible.

It was her deep stare that really got me, the way she dug her glance into mine, challenging me to look away first, but I couldn't.

Finally, Mr. Garrett North and his sluggish, rough voice interrupted my trance.

"So Mr.Hargrave," the middle-aged man spoke, sipping casually from his champagne, "I wouldn't say it's a pleasure to meet you. I've heard around that your mother is about to hand you her entire fortune. What does it feel like not having to make any efforts from your side? Surely, it must suck to achieve nothing yourself amid a family of achievers"

If this man thought he was successfully angering a youth who was twenty years younger to him, he couldn't be more wrong.

I smiled at him, bearing in mind the gaze that Alexandra and Mr.Bancroft had on me, and casually said, "With all due respect Mr.North, the garbage collector visits New York every morning at seven to pick up the trash."

Garret North looked confused. He raised his shameless eyebrows and asked, "And why are you telling me that?"

"It's a useless fact I learned just to remind you," I shrugged, "To be ready when he arrives."

Mr. Bancroft choked on his drink.

Alexandra tried to hide a smile unsuccessfully.

I could've roasted him way worse, but I pitied the old man. What did he have...like...ten more years to live?

"I'll see you around Hargrave," he muttered sternly, yet smirking as if exclaiming 'it's on'. It was a mystery why he enjoyed troubling the people way younger than him but there was something about the way he looked at me as if I was the reason he had suffered a big loss.

Did he look at everyone like that?

He nodded at the Bancrofts and slowly strode away.

Mr. Bancroft had a grin plastered on his face and so did Alexandra, she tucked her blonde hair behind her ear exposing her sparkling diamond earrings.

"Carlton," exclaimed Mr.Bancroft, "I want you to meet my daughter Alexandra, I hope you two get along. Farewell for now."

And so he disappeared into the crowd, leaving Alexandra the Great in my custody.

**********

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

38.7K 1.4K 53
Red Easton is on the brink of becoming one of New York's most successful young CEOs. The intense, stone-faced thirty-four-year-old built a cybersecur...
135K 3.8K 45
When you are a member of the mafia family, you need to be strong, ruthless, and cunning. But when you are one of the heirs you need to be untouchable...
741 65 49
Billionaire. Bad boy. Mafiosos. ...None of which describes Christian personally; he just happens to know them all. Meet Christian, a self-contained...
11.1K 410 25
People run away, love doesn't. The woeful life of Rose Barnes is showing no signs of improvement. She's alone in a new city, drowning in debt, with d...