The Commander's Sister // Reg...

By deanwinchesterstan

Irene (Definitely not Conrad) Brown. Daughter of Robert and Betty Brown, step-sister of James Conrad. She's a... More

Photographs and Flirts
Family
Holding Hands and Flushed Cheeks
Bombs
Rivers and Creatures
Villagers
Kisses and Skies
The Ploat
Poison Gas and Dog Tags
Kong
Wounds and Shrieks
Rescued
Surgeries and Cover Stories
Next
Tears and Worries
Airport Kisses
Childhood Homes and Childhood Traumas
Waffles
hi please read this part!!

Brothers

6.1K 94 7
By deanwinchesterstan

SAIGON, VIETNAM

I caught the ball as it bounced back from the wall. James had gone out for the night, and he refused to let me come with him. It was already enough that he had brought me out to Saigon with him. The hotel room was cramped, with one bed, a wooden chair, and a TV that didn't work perched atop a large dresser with drawers that only pulled halfway out. James and I kept our stuff in bags anyway. I had finished reading The Time Machine, and only read halfway through The Island of Doctor Moreau because it was rather horrifying. James told me he'd be back rather late, so I was to lock the door and go to sleep at a reasonable time.

I sighed deep as I threw the bouncy ball again, only this time it bounced onto the floor instead of onto the bed. I let it go and rolled onto my stomach. James had been decommissioned for the past week and a half, but he didn't want to talk much about the war. It was understandable. I had never been to war, but I had seen things as simple as photographs that had shook me to my core. I couldn't imagine what being out there fighting would be like.

I realized my body was falling asleep while my mind was still running, which was unsurprising. James and I had spent the day exploring the city. He had almost forced me into picking something out from a store, because my birthday was coming up soon. I responded with a cheesy classic.

"All I want is for you to stay home."

He ate that one up. James had basically been taking care of me since I was barely a teenager. That was when my father married his mom. My father had died a year or two after, and his mother three months after, of grief. I was thirteen by the time that happened, but James was much older. He could've taken me to an orphanage or left me on my own. He took me in instead. He joined British Special Forces three years after he brought me to live with him. He was decommissioned two years later, which brings us to today. I had been living basically on my own for that time, but somehow my brother always found a way to make sure I had enough of everything to get by.

I jerked up when I heard the door open.

"You didn't lock it?" Blue eyes squinted at me.

"I was going to, I promise. I'm not even asleep yet, Jay." I stifled a yawn.

He gave me a deadpan face, locking both locks on the door as loudly as possible. His face softened as he pushed me over, making room for himself to sit down next to me.

"What's up?" I could tell something was bugging him.

I felt my heart drop to my stomach. He wasn't going back to war, was he?

"Irene, listen ... you know I've been decommissioned." He trailed off, picking stray hairs off the blanket as he avoided my glances.

"Yeah, and?"

He sighed, contemplating something. I scratched at my finger, increasingly nervous.

"I've been offered a job." He blurted.

I looked up. Why was he so slow about telling me that?

"Where?" I heard the weak sense of betrayal in my own voice.

He looked up to meet my eyes. I felt like I was on the verge of holding back tears as he stuttered.

"A-ah-an island. An uncharted island in the South Pacific." He averted his gaze back down.

I paused before speaking, more aggressive than I wanted to be. "You're ex-special forces, what do they need you for? Who even needs you?"

He sighed. "It's a group of scientists, Ire. Look, they need me to be their tracker, essentially. It's only supposed to take a week, and I could leave you wi-"

"No." I stopped him, feeling my own face contort into one of despair.

"Irene." He raised an eyebrow at me.

"You did not already say yes." I felt the tears well in my eyes.

His face mirrored mine, sadness and what was probably regret on his features.

"Jay, you've only been back a week, and you're leaving again?" I cried.

"Irene, I didn't think it would upset you so much." He pulled me to him, hugging me.

I slumped against him and whimpered. If he was going, he was taking me with him. I would guilt him into it if I had to.

"Irene, I'm so sorry." He mumbled, rubbing circles on my back.

I curled up tighter. "James, please don't leave me."

"Bitsy, I-I..." He trailed off.

I pulled back far enough to look up at him.

"Take me with you." I urged with tear-stained cheeks.

He met my eye, which was a mistake on his part. I frowned again, letting my shoulders drop. He sighed through his nose before finally breaking.

"Fine. I'll tell them you're good with jungles and animals." He let his hand drop on the bed.

"And?" I smiled a little.

"And that we're a package deal." He narrowed his eyes at me.

"Thank you, thank you, thank you!" I threw myself at him, hugging him tightly.

He hugged back with a grunt, taken off guard by my excitement.

"We're leaving in a few hours, so pack up whatever's lying around."

I finally pulled away from the hug, ready to shove my toothbrush and two books into the bag.

"And the island might be extremely dangerous. So when we get there, stick to me, okay?" He was serious about that part, because he grabbed my hand and practically made me promise.

I nodded. "Okay."

He broke into a smile. "Now pack and get some sleep, I have a feeling you aren't going to like the plane ride."

BANGKOK, THAILAND

"James Conrad. This is my younger sister Irene. I need her skill for the biological aspect of tracking." James spoke to the blond man in a Landsat uniform.

"Oh, no. You can't bring her with you." The man answered rather snarky.

"I don't think you understand. We're a package deal. If she can't go, you don't get me." James reached back to grab my hand, which I gladly gave with a squeeze.

The man eyed me before sighing. "Fine, whatever. You take responsibility for her."

James scoffed. "Of course I will. She's my sister."

The man rolled his eyes, but James just pulled me past, pushing me ahead of him and holding onto my hand.

"Jay, I don't know which way we're going." I mumbled back over my shoulder.

He pointed ahead, "Follow the soldiers."

I caught sight of who he was talking about, the group of tall men dressed in army green. I followed loosely, but I stopped when they did. I looked back at James, then to the man that was standing at the start of the boat's ramp.

James took my hand again, this time leading the way. I stood off to his side as we waited for the men to finish talking to him. As they began to walk away, and James approached the man, one of their hats fell to the ground. I bent down to pick it up before the wind could take it away. I realized how close I was to the guy who's hat it was once I stood up. I bit my lip, suddenly anxious.

"Here." I pushed the hat in his direction.

He grinned toothily before taking it. "Thank you, miss."

I felt my cheeks heat up, but I was sure that he couldn't see considering it was dark and he was at least half a foot taller than me.

"Slivko, stop flirting with the girl and get! We've got things to do!" The man that James had been talking to yelled.

The guy, who was more likely my age than actually a man, winked before scampering off, following the rest of the army men. James pulled on my wrist, breaking my attention.

"You've just gotta stick with me, but other than that Colonel Packard over there don't care that you'll be joining us." He explained.

I nodded, following him up the ramp and avoiding the glare of the colonel.

***

I leaned against the same wall James leaned against. I scratched at my wrist, uncomfortable around all the Landsat people and the soldiers. I wasn't sure what we were waiting on, and the loud cranking of the projector in the middle was making my skin crawl. James noticed this, and ruffled my hair.

"This should only take a few minutes, and it's just a briefing. After this you can hole yourself up in the room if you want to."

I scoffed and pushed his hand off, narrowing my eyes at him. "I don't want to hole myself up. I'm just a little antsy."

"Almost done, Bitsy." He motioned at the man who had taken his place at the front of the room.

"Hello and welcome. I'm Landsat Field Supervisor, Victor Nieves." He had an awkward posture, but smiled anyway as he pointed to the blond guy from earlier.

"This is my colleague Steve Woodward, our data wrangler." There was a light chuckle from the Landsat team, but James remained stoic and I noticed a few soldiers roll their eyes.

The projector cranked again. "Our expedition takes us to a place every nautical trade route known to man has avoided for centuries."

An image of an island popped up, shaped somewhat like a skull.

"As our satellites show, the island is surrounded by a perpetual storm system, allowing it to remain hidden from the outside world."

That doesn't sound right.

I felt James shift his posture, but my eyes remained on the projections as they changed.

"But with Colonel Packard's helicopter transport, we will be the first to break through to the other side."

My eyebrows furrowed. This sounded very much like something out of a twisted horror movie.

"We're also pleased to be joined, for the first time, by the resource exploration team, led by Mr. Randa and accompanied by biologist Miss San and geologist Mr. Brooks."

"Aren't those the guys that hired you?" I whispered over my shoulder at James.

"Yeah." He whispered back, eyes still narrowed.

He didn't like this either.

Nieves continued, "Our focus will be on the island's surface, theirs, what lies beneath. Mr. Brooks."

The man with glasses stepped up to the front of the room.

"Simple, really. We'll use explosions to shake the earth and create vibrations, helping us to map the subsurface of the island."

The projection changed again.

"We'll fly in over the south shore and then strategically drop seismic charges to better help us understand the density of the Earth."

I hadn't exactly gone through any type of geological science in high school, but I understood the words "seismic charges" and it raised some concern.

"You're dropping bombs?" James spoke up.

All eyes turned to him, including mine. I would've never actually spoken aloud in a room full of people, but James didn't care. And I trusted him to make sure things were safe before getting involved.

"Mmm.. S-scientific instruments." Mr. Brooks countered.

"You hear that, boys? We're scientists now." A voice called from the rows of soldiers.

Even though he was sitting low in his chair, I could tell it was the one that had dropped his hat earlier.

Slivko, I think?

The soldiers laughed, but the Landsat people didn't seem amused. I'm sure James would have laughed, had Mr. Brooks not dodged his question about the bombs.

"You guys are not scientists." Steve muttered.

I rolled my eyes.

"We'll then land and make basecamp for ground excursions led by Mr. Conrad and Miss Brown." Nieves gestured our way.

I glanced up at James. He met my eyes, his face softer now. I shot a face at him, one screaming "I am definitely not a tracker!!" He only shook his head.

"Major Jack Chapman." Nieves stepped aside.

My eyes snapped up.

Before my father had married James's mother, he had dated a few women. One of those women had been Elise Chapman. They dated for a few years, during the prime of my childhood. Her son Jack had become my best friend. My dad moved me away after a few years, never really telling me what had happened between them. Jack and I would write each other letters, but after a few years he stopped answering. I hadn't talked to Jack in two years.

But here he was now, about to tell us whatever it was he had to tell us about this possibly lethal island.

He stepped up and took the pointer from Houston, "All right, once on this island-" he caught my eye.

I shivered, seemingly unable to pull my eyes away. James clasped a hand onto my shoulder. He knew all about Jack, just like he knew about every detail of my life.

Jack snapped himself out of it and started talking again.

"Once on the island, the storm's interference will block all radio contact with the ship. That means we'll be by ourselves."

The projector again. I swallowed hard.

"Three days later, the refuel team will meet us here on the North end of the island. That may be our only safe departure window for an unknown period of time." He glanced back my way.

"So, tip for everybody. Don't miss it. Please." His eyes came back around, but it seemed that James caught him this time.

Jack looked away, and he didn't look back again.

***

"James, where are you going?" I asked as he turned to leave the room.

"I want to check something out. Why don't you stay here, catch up with Chapman?" He tried to pull himself from my grip.

"James, I haven't seen him since I was a kid." I grabbed at his wrist again.

He sighed and faced me, hands on my shoulders. "It'll be okay."

I bit down hard and closed my eyes, sighing hard through my nose.

"Okay." My voice was quiet.

"I'll see you up in the room later?" He patted my cheek.

I nodded, slowly letting go of his wrists.

"Be careful." I mumbled.

He kissed my forehead. "Of course, you too."

I heard someone clear their throat from behind me. I breathed hard before turning myself around.

"Hey Irene." Jack stood there, a gentle smile on his face.

I looked up at him. "Hey, Jack."

"How're you, kid?"

I broke into a grin, unsure of what else to say. He gingerly pulled me into a hug.

"I missed you, ya know."

I hugged back, nodding even though I knew he couldn't see it. "I missed you too."

"Colonel told us 'Conrad', but I didn't even think it could be your brother." Jack finally pulled away, hands on my shoulders.

I only shrugged. "I didn't exactly think I'd see you here either."

He chuckled and shook his head. "You haven't grown since you were twelve, have you?"

"Shut up." I shoved him, laughing.

We both quieted down quickly. I sighed, twiddling with my fingers.

"How's Billy?" I asked. Last time Jack had written to me, Billy was four years old.

Jack perked up at the mention of his son. "He's doing good. Gracie's sent me a few photographs. I can show you later if you'd like. He looks just like his momma." He gushed.

"Well I would hope so. Jack, you're uglier than a dog. I would feel bad if the poor kid looked like you."

It was a teasing lie, of course. Jack was what I considered pretty, with dark hair that he always styled up at the front, tiny freckles that you could only see if you were close enough, and eyes that switched between shades of green like nobody's business.

He narrowed his eyes at me. I narrowed mine right back before breaking out into another fit of laughter. He messed my hair up.

"Where'd your brother go? I was planning on introducing myself." He hesitated on the word brother, but forced it out anyways, looking around the room.

I wasn't exactly about to tell him that James had gone to snoop around the ship, so I just shrugged again.

"Not sure, he told me I should stay and talk to you. I don't really think you need to formally introduce yourself, though. He knows all about you."

Jack nodded. "I see. Do you wanna meet the rest of the boys? I've got a feeling they'll just love you." He extended his hand to me.

I smiled and took it. "Sure."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

161K 4.8K 32
Book 1 in the Salute Series When Charlotte Wilson gets recruited to go into the mission, get into Monarch, and go with them to an uncharted Island an...
8.3K 254 16
𝗙!𝗢𝗖 𝘅 𝗥𝗲𝗴 𝗦𝗹𝗶𝘃𝗸𝗼 Analeah Conrad has been taught by her older brother, James Conrad how to survive. Analeah was only seventeen when she...
16.3K 479 16
She's photographer Mason Weaver's partner, Matilda (Tilda) Riley, a journalist, always eager for a good story. Her next writing project comes in the...
76.8K 1.6K 11
"The last time I went west I was attacked by one of those things because I tried to befriend it. It nearly took my leg off- if it wasn't for Hank and...