Firecracker ➝ Daryl Dixon

Bởi restlesslovee

Book One. Complete. Arden was a fighter, or as Daryl liked to call her- a firecracker. But when Arden's bro... Xem Thêm

Prologue: Found
Chapter 1: Saved
Chapter 2: Panic
Chapter 3: Questions
Chapter 4: Empty
Chapter 5: Help
Chapter 6: Foolish
Chapter 7: Darkness
Chapter 8: Insanity
Chapter 9: Wound
Chapter 10: Letter
Chapter 11: Captivated
Chapter 12: Strangers
Chapter 13: Threat
Chapter 14: Realization
Chapter 15: Inevitable
Chapter 16: Demon
Chapter 17: Mistake
Chapter 18: Promise
Chapter 19: Leaving
Chapter 20: Horror
Chapter 21: Together
Chapter 23: Devil
Chapter 24: Partnership
Chapter 25: Taken
Chapter 26: Run
Chapter 27: Monsters
Chapter 28: Hopeless
Chapter 29: Farewell

Chapter 22: Menace

14.4K 595 237
Bởi restlesslovee

The new group run by Caesar Martinez was only a shell of the comradery Arden had in the prison.  These people, while decently nice, were living out of RVs and tents under constant fear of walker attack.  Early on her third morning at camp Arden stood over what was termed the “walker pit”- a large hole in the ground which approaching walkers fell into and were later killed.  Arden lifted a gun, resting the butt against her shoulder blade and with an exhale steadied the rifle.  Dark eyes looked through the scope at the decaying skull of a female walker who groaned and clawed at her prison.  The shot rang out, recoil pushing Arden back but her blank expression didn’t change.  Instead she re-aimed the rifle and with an exhale pulled the trigger, another walker falling down to its final resting place.

“Arden!”  Another shot, eyes still focusing into the pit.  “Hey,” Matt grabbed onto Arden’s arm and quickly ducked as the girl spun around, the gun still in her hands, “Woah, point it down at the ground.”

Arden blinked slowly as if attempting to distinguish where she was.  Her mouth opened and she lowered the gun, “I’m, I’m sorry I-“

“Hey!”  Martinez stormed out of the RV, his voice booming and footsteps long and purposeful, “What the fuck do you think you’re doing!?”  The male grabbed the rifle out of Arden’s hands, turned the safety on, and threw it to the ground.  “You wanna attract all the walkers in this area huh?”

Matt stepped between Arden and Martinez, his eyes narrowed, “Don’t yell at her.”

Martinez groaned already understanding how the dynamic between Arden and Matt.  The two were fiercely protective of each other to an aggravating level.  “Then get her in line,” Martinez pointed at Arden, his voice lowering, “Or I will.”

Once the man was back inside his RV Matt turned around and grabbed Arden’s face with one hand, pinching her cheeks together and causing her lips to pout.  “What are you doing?  Why are you acting like this?”

Arden pulled away but could only step backwards so far lest she fall into the pit.  “I already said I’m sorry so back off okay?”

“No,” Matt took a menacing step towards his sister, “I won’t back off.  You’re different and don’t tell me you aren’t.  You don’t talk anymore.  You won’t tell me about what happened during those months we were apart and you keep hinting that we should actually stay with these people.”

“Yeah well when you think your brother is dead you might just change a little,” Arden hissed, pushing past Matt and picking up the rifle, “And no I don’t want to stay with these people.  I just want a group okay?  I’m tired of it just being us.”

Matt’s face instantly fell and Arden’s stomach followed suit.  “Matt,” she whispered, dropping the gun and rushing towards her brother who had begun to tremble, “Matt I didn’t mean it.” 

And she held him tightly, face buried in his neck and praying that he would wrap his arms around her.  Praying that his sanity would keep because she was aware of her importance in Matt’s life.  She was all he had.  The only person who claimed to understand him.  The only one who knew of his ugly crime yet still hugged and loved him and promised him that he was not a monster but her wonderful brother.  “Me and you,” Arden whispered, “Right?”

Matt shoved Arden backwards, her steps stumbling and the ground beneath her feet disappearing.  She fell into the pit with a thud, landing on her bottom but her mind did not have time to process the pain.  Instead she was confronted with six walkers, all moving towards her with open mouths and outstretched arms. “Matt!”  Arden screamed, standing up and attempting to climb up the dirt wall but it was pointless, “Matt!”

Monstrous hands wrapped around her ankle.  Arden yelped and kicked the walker in the chest, sending it tumbling into the other undead creatures who were not fazed by their companion falling into them.  “Matt,” Arden shouted, “Help me out of here!”

Matt stood at the edge of the pit, void and tear pricked eyes staring down at his sister.  “Who’s Daryl, Arden?”

His name made Arden’s spine tingled.  Her stomach lurched and she couldn’t help but gape up at her brother, who bent down to pick up the gun and effectively shot a walker which was closing in on  his sister.  “W-What?”

“You heard me,” shot, “Daryl.  Hank told me there was a man named Daryl at the prison, you two were close.  Who is he?”

Arden pressed her back into the dirt wall and continued kicking the walkers back, their stench making her want to vomit and their proximity filling Arden with anxiety.  “Matt, please get me out of here.”  She screamed as a walker grabbed her wrist and with flailing movements she managed to release herself but the walker did not stop his pursuit.  “Matt!”

“Did he change you Arden?  Is he why you’re different?  Is it still just you and me?”

“It’s you and me!”  Tears were streaking down Arden’s cheeks.  She fumbled for a stick on the ground and attempted to use it as a weapon, jamming it into the eye of a walker but the wound was not deep enough and the being continued its assault.  Three walkers were left, Matt having killed the others once they truly threatened Arden’s life.

“You and me?”  Matt shouted and he sounded insane and reminded Arden of that night.  The night where he lost his mind and brutally murdered a man they had never met but shared genetic code with.

“Yes! You and me!”  Another shot fired and Arden shut her eyes and began mumbling to whatever deity she could think of.  She vaguely heard yelling and soon felt herself being roughly hoisted out of the pit.

“Hey, hey,” Martinez kept shouting, snapping his fingers in front of Arden’s face as him and two other males laid her down on the dirt, “What happened?”

“She fell,” Matt answered plainly, wiping tears from his eyes, “I tried to get her out but I couldn’t so I tried to shoot the walkers.”

“This true?” a light haired male asked Arden, who was hyperventilating and attempting to slow her tears.

“Y-yes,” she stuttered and nodded her head, sitting up and clutching her chest to feel her racing heart.

Two males helped Arden stand up and led her towards a patio table, instructing a woman named Alisha to get some water.  The whole time she could feel Matt’s gaze on her yet she felt no anger.  Instead she felt fear.  Fear for her brother’s wellbeing and guilt at her change in demeanor which led to this incident.  I should have known better, Arden thought, sipping water and repeating how she was okay and didn’t need any more help.  Reluctantly the other members of camp dispersed, but not after Martinez ordered that neither Matt nor Arden were allowed any fire arms. 

“Arden?”  Matt stuttered and sat down next to her, “I, I don’t know what happened but-“

“I know,” she placed her hand on Matt’s knee and gave it a squeeze, “That’s not you.  You’re not a monster.”

“I’m not a monster.”

“No,” Arden tried to smile but it was difficult, “You’re not and it’s me and you Matt.  Me and you.”

“And what about what Hank said?  About Daryl?”

“He’s no one,” Arden lied and while speaking the words her heart faltered but her fake smile never fell. 

Daryl was someone.  He was a light in this despicable world.  He was her protector and savior.  For a short time in her life he was her everything, and now he was gone.  Now they were separated and no amount of denial changed how Arden felt for Daryl.  Nothing could remove the aching in her chest, the depression which had set in over her missing him.  Missing the prison.  But before her sat her brother with sorrowful eyes and a sad smile and Matt needed her.  So with a nod of her head Arden assured Matt that Daryl was a no one when in reality he was one of the most important someones in her crumbling life.

---------------------------------------

Author's Note:  I'm sorry if this chapter was sort of slow and filler-ish but I wanted to establish the state Arden and Matt's reltionship is in.  Next chapter should be more intriguing (:  let me know what you thought of this chapter though?  do you think Matt will ever allow other people to be in Arden's life?  will Arden grow to like the people in Martinez's group?  I'd love to know what you all are thinking.

Đọc tiếp

Bạn Cũng Sẽ Thích

317K 7.2K 72
Starlet or Star as everyone calls her, has been alone since the beginning. But when Daryl comes across her during a hunt in the middle of the night s...
835K 22.7K 164
"When there's no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth." Ever since the world turned, all Lily did was hide. She didn't know how to fight...
174K 1.8K 19
Basically the title...
22.8K 753 39
Shannon is always running away from her troubles. Even before the dead started coming back to life, she was on the road searching for something bette...