The World Outside My Glasses

By megan_40andliz_53

She was a walking sad song. Her soul was a beautiful melody but her mind told lyrics about the razors that ki... More

The Letter
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Author's Note
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Bonus Chapter - 08/25/13
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47

Chapter 30

274 8 2
By megan_40andliz_53

"So it's called, 'Bridge Day?'" I asked.

"Pretty much. People from all over the world come to this bridge just to basejump. They say it's the strongest, steel bridge in America." He replied.

I nodded my head.

"This bridge used to be the biggest and longest in America. But as of now, not so much." He said.

"Then why celebrate Bridge Day here?" I asked again.

"Do I look like a tour guide to you?" he replied sarcastically.

"Maybe..." I said, smiling. He laughed. I laughed. Then he smiled. Then I smiled.

"Josh Teman from Charleston, WV?" A guy with a jacket, checkboard, and whistle around his neck called Josh.

He looked more like a coach. Maybe he's in his late thirties.

"That's me, sir." Josh said enthusiastically. "Well my boy, your up." The guy said.

Josh looked at me and I smiled at him. "Don't die." I teased. "In your dreams." He replied.

Josh walked at the edge of the bridge. I didn't quite see him anymore because of the crowd.

All I heard was a few mumbles from the guy.

Then the guy whistled. The crowd cheered him on.

"Woohoo!!!" I heard the descending voice of Josh as he jumped for the sky.

Honestly, I got a little scared. But this is Josh Teman we're talking about. He's got this.

The guy then got out a walkie-talkie and asked if Josh has landed safely.

Oh please let Josh be safe. I hope he's still alive. Please please plea-

"Teman has landed safely on shore!" The guy announced happily. The crowd cheered and clapped their hands. I took a sigh of relief.

Well, at least that went well.

"Next up, Hazelle San Agustin from Charleston, WV."

"Me?" I asked nervously. "Well, if your from Charleston and your names' Hazelle San Agustin, yeah I guess its pretty much you." The guy said in an annoyed tone.

I cleared my throat and gulped.

Why did I agree to do this?

The crowd was complaining already. Well, I couldn't back out now.

I walked towards the elastic platform and slowly and carefully walked onto it.

Oh shit.

Below me was the most horrifying view I've ever seen. There were a lot of clouds so you can't really see the ground clearly. You can't even see how far you would fall.

My hands were getting cold and my heart was beating terribly. My mind was on airplane mode. Just the sight of this makes me numb.

This was even worse than the Log Jam from Enchanted Kingdom.

Far more worse.

"You got your parachute?" The guy asked, not looking up from his checkboard.

"Uh...could I back out and-"

"You know how to use a parachute?"

"Actually, I really have to go-"

"That's great kid. Now when I blow the whistle you jump."

"But that's not-"

"Stop the excuses kid. You signed up for this thing."

"I honestly don't like to die so if you could just-"

"Hey! Just listen already!" Some guy said from the crowd. "Yeah!" Said a girl. "Just go already!" Said another.

"Just jump!" A person said. "Jump, jump, jump..."

And eventually, it turned into a crowd chant.

Oh my God, the pressure.

The Weather Channel's camera was pointed at me.

"Okay kid, on the count of three I'm gonna blow my whistle."

"Wait! Just give me a few-"

"One."

"Could you be patient for awhile and just-"

I got this churning feeling in my stomach. That's why Josh and I didn't have a full meal.

"Two"

"Oh my God. Please I can't-"

"Jump, jump, jump, jump..."

The crowd, the weird coach guy, the pressure...

My hands were shaking and I was clenching my fists.

Suddenly, I didn't look down. I chose to look ahead of me.

Oh my gosh. I've never seen it so beautiful before. The sky with purple, pink, and streaks of orange painted the clouds. I've never felt so...free.

I closed my eyes.

"Three!"

Oh shit.

And just like that, I was free-falling from that 900-meter steel arch.

And it wasn't as good as I expected.

Of course, I did spread my arms like most people do. But my mind was more like,

Oh my gosh. When am I supposed to pull that thingy from the parachute? Am I supposed to estimate how much feet? I need Jarvis from Ironman. What if I don't get to pull it in the right time? Where will I land? On shore? On water? What if I land on a tree? Will I be stuck there forever?

That.

But my whole body was so numb. I couldn't feel anything. I felt like all those problems I left behind were being washed away from me.

Like that will ever happen. But still...

In short, I was scared. Alot.

Don't panic, don't panic...

I did my best to calm down and regain my breathing.

From now I could already see the ground. And it got even scarier.

I was still high, but seeing the ground gave me goosebumps.

I closed my eyes.

"I love the sky. Especially when it's purple with a tinge of pink and orange."

"I love looking at the sky."

"It's just one big masterpiece"

"I always wanted to touch a cloud."

I opened my eyes and realized.

It was Josh I was with at the milktea shop. I told him I wanted to touch a cloud.

I didn't realize it, but he gave me something nearly impossible.

The chance to touch a cloud.

This time it not outside my window, something I couldn't reach.

It was all around me. I got this ticklish feeling and I started laughing.

"Eat your heart out laws of physics!" I shouted.

I spread my arms futher in enthusiasm, my messy bun getting messier.

The clouds felt soft around my skin, somewhat cold.

I just kept looking all around me. I felt like this was my territory. No wait. I felt like the purple sky was my home.

A place where I can be anyone who I want to be. A place where there are no bullies, no depression, and no painful memories.

A place where I was free.

I descended closer and closer to the ground where I got used to the ticklish feeling.

I almost forgot.

I need to use the parachute if I didn't wanna die.

I pulled the string behind the folded parachute and a huge force was slowing my fall.

I could already see alot of people cheering and clapping their hands on shore.

"Thank you! Thank you!" I shouted as I descended, pretending to act like I won an Oscar Award.

And in an instant, I plunged into the deep, cool river.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

445K 12.9K 34
Blaze White is the New Girl at the Prep school in her mothers old home town. But her only goal for senior year is to keep a low profile, no friends...
6.9M 208K 78
Mari Hansen ran away from home at 15 not being able to stand her radically religious family anymore and was desperate to be nothing like them which l...
1M 28.5K 35
Her mother is embarrassed of her. Her father doesn't care about her. The rest of her family thinks she's a bad influence on the little ones. Society...
2.9K 126 51
"You went to the medical centre on Friday. I begged them to let me see you, but they refused to let me see you. It's now Sunday and you're still in t...