Things Left Unsaid | ✓

De infallibles

❝That's the thing about love. It isn't going to be easy, it isn't going to be smooth, but it's going to be wo... Mais

Information/Statistics
Dedications
Chapter One: New Beginnings?
Chapter Two: Breathe
Chapter Three: Still Sane
Chapter Four: When It Counts
Chapter Five: Crumbling Down
Chapter Six: Always
Chapter Seven: Plagued
Chapter Nine: Cheaters Never Prosper
Chapter Ten: Home
Chapter Eleven: Guilt
Chapter Twelve: The Best Thing
Chapter Thirteen: Happiness Never Did Last Very Long
Chapter Fourteen: Intoxicated
Chapter Fifteen: Not Your Fairytale Ending
Bonus Excerpt
My New Story

Chapter Eight: Smirks and Sweethearts

6.2K 223 37
De infallibles

VIII. Smirks and Sweethearts

I woke up the next morning with a pounding headache and nausea. It sucks to be a lightweight because I suffer from a few cups while Ryan can drink till the sun rises without major consequences. Hangovers are killer.

At least I'm home alone so I don't have to deal with anyone right now. Thank God for Saturday shifts and jobs. My Saturdays consisted of my sister and parents being out at work and me staying home watching Teen Wolf re-runs all day long. Yeah, I'm a loser, deal with it.

As I stumble blindly down the stairs to grab a cup of coffee, I hear noises outside. Peering out the window, I see a large moving truck parked next door. I guess someone finally bought the house beside us. Great, neighbors, I groaned internally. I made my way over to the kitchen and brewed my coffee. The magic of Keurig made the process so easy, and I had a toasty warm cup of coffee in a matter of a few minutes. After adding my favorite cinammon roll creamer, I found my way back to the window by the front door.

The large crew of moving men had to make about seventeen trips back and forth between the truck and the house. How much furniture could this family even own? After what seemed like an eternity, the moving truck finally rolled down the street and I was able to see what kind of neighbors we'd be getting. It was a family of five. Two parents, two little girls, and one teenage boy. I couldn't scope out their faces though, since they were all either facing away from me or behind their car.

Hearing the roar of a car engine, I focused my gaze on an obnoxiously bright red convertible pulling up by their curb. Another teenage boy stepped out, but he had blonde hair while the whole family were brunettes. I assumed that he was a friend of the other teenage boy. I watched as he slapped hands with the brown haired boy and passed a few words with him. Suddenly the blonde boy's gaze travels from the other boy to my eyes. And then, he smirks at me. And not the kind of silly, cute smirk. His kind of smirk is conceited and smug, like he caught me red-handed.

I felt a blush begin to creep onto my face as I realized what I've been doing. I didn't realize that I've been spying on my newfound neighbors for the past forty-five minutes or so. No wonder he smirked at me like that. My blush burned even worse as he began to laugh. His brown haired friend must have asked him what was going on, because before I knew it, he was pointing in my direction. Or rather, straight at pathetic little me. Almost right after the blonde pointed at me, the brown haired boy whipped his head around and faced me. And in that moment, I swear my jaw and stomach both dropped.

I couldn't forget that face. The chiseled jawline, the prominent cheekbones, the soft lips. And mostly, the blazing royal blue eyes framed, in all their glory, with full eyelashes. The same blue eyes that made me know I was a goner two years ago.

Dylan Hayes was back in town. And he didn't look too thrilled to see me.

The expression on his face could only be described as a mixture of shock, confusion, frustration, and curiosity. Mortified and upset, I yanked the window's curtain back in place and stormed upstairs without a second glance.

I threw open my bedroom door and flung myself onto my bed, fuming. Who the hell comes back from a huge move after just one year? Why did he look at me like that?

I suddenly became extremely wary of how I looked. I couldn't look that different could I? I mean, my hair was still long, my eyes still blue, and my face still as plain jane as ever. The only differences were sun streaks in my hair, a tad of eyeliner and mascara, and I was no longer mistaken as a boy when I wore a t-shirt. So then why did he look at me so oddly...? I guess we'll see what happens on Wednesday.

Now that I mention it, eww school.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wasn't even the slightest bit excited for junior year. All I could think about were the SATs, ACTs, and school work. Not to mention the drama that comes with typical high school life. Speaking of drama, this year would have even more due to the return of Dylan. The return of Dylan meant more trouble with Ashleigh, rumors starting up, and lastly, facing what he told me that one night at the kickback.

Could it be possible that he still liked me?

No way, I forced myself to think. Not after the way he looked at me. And regardless, I have a boyfriend, and I'm not a cheater.

I came a tad bit late today since Hanna wasn't home to wake me up. Late on my first day....great. I strolled into first period - US History kill me now - about 20 minutes past fashionably late with the most relaxed composure I could muster up. I didn't want to deal with an annoying teacher today, since so much was on my mind already. My teacher, Mrs. Wilson, greeted me with a stern nod.

"It's the first day of school and you're already late. I hope we won't have an issue like this all year, Ms. Sanders."

Oh. Well then you're in for a lovely school year, Mrs. Wilson.

"Of course not. My apologies, Mrs. Wilson," I lied with a fake smile.

"Well, the least you can do is bring the attendance sheet to the office since you're late already. Off you go now."

I opened my mouth to protest but thought better of it. Grabbing the thin sheet, I held in my exasperated huff until I exited the classroom. No need to get detention on the first day of school. When I reached the office, I saw a familiar head of chocolate brown hair.

No, no, no, this can't be happening. Please don't let him turn around.

I snuck over to the collection basket for attendance with my best tip-toeing possible. I made it back to the door and almost thought I had made it out alive when I heard a shrill voice.

"Kaylee? Is that you?"

I froze on the spot and turned to face our dean of admissions, just in time to see a very confused Dylan spin around. A smirk formed on his lips and he looked extremely humored at the current situation.

"Hi, Ms. Murtagh," I replied meekly.

"Oh, Kaylee, be a dear and show our new student around the campus. His name is Dylan," she gestured towards the cheeky boy standing next to her. "I've already informed your teachers, so you won't have to worry about how long it takes."

Oh Ms. Murtagh, it's so obvious that you just came to our school last year. Any other faculty member would remember Dylan. He and his friends pulled pranks that had all the office ladies and deans pulling their hair out.

Dylan's smirk formed into a grin and he raised an eyebrow, as if anticipating my response.

Cheeky little bastard.

"Sure, miss, no problem," I said as I tried to hide an obvious sigh.

Grabbing Dylan's wrist, I dragged him out of the office.

Boy, this was going to be a long day.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

➳ Dylan's POV

Her long brown hair whipped me as she dragged me along.

Did it get lighter?

But damn, how I missed her feistiness in our friendship. Life in New Hampshire was nothing like it was back here in California. I made some new friends, but none could compare to my Kaylee. We had the most relaxed friendship ever and it was perfect for me.

Wow, nostalgic much? What's up with me? Maybe it could be my crush on Kay still lurking around.

A sudden yank pulled me out of my thoughts. I found myself roughly shoved onto a couple of lockers in the corner.

"What are you doing back already?" she hissed.

Her spinning me around to face her allowed me to see her more clearly. And damn, how she's changed. Her hair definitely was lighter, and longer if that was even possible. Her eyes were now framed with eyeliner and mascara, which were definitely not present before. They made her startling blue eyes stand out even more. Her heels made me notice her long legs as well. Yup, that was definitely a tan I saw. She clearly got out of her hobo clothes phase, seeing that she was dressed in a tight, short top and skirt. Wow, that top showed that she, um, grew some muffins.

Muffins? Seriously, Dylan? How awkward and lame could I get when checking out my best friend? I should've at least said cupcakes, they're cuter. And perk -

"Are you done checking me out and are you gonna answer my question?" she interrupted my thoughts.

"You've changed, Kay. You're not the little, awkward fifteen year old that I left a year ago - you look amazing," I winked.

Her cheeks tinged with pink and I could tell that she was trying to hide it.

"Enough with the jokes, Dyl. Seriously, what are you doing back?"

"Ouch, I didn't think you wanted me to go that badly," I replied. "It's a long story. I'll tell you some other time."

Her voice was filled with annoyance and a sort of...resentment. She seemed genuinely not happy to see me. Guess she changed more than just appearances.

"What makes you think there's gonna be another time?" she spat with irritation.

Gosh, who twisted her panties this morning.

"Well, sweetheart, last time I was here we were best friends. And if I'm not mistaken -," I said, moving towards her and trapping her against the wall between my arms. "- we were almost something more."

I could hear her breath hitch in her throat and I grinned with the knowledge that I could still do that to her. I pressed her against the wall a little roughly and leaned into her. I'm just teasing her, but I could practically feel the heat radiate off of her. My lips skimmed her cheekbone and moved to her ear.

"Shall we continue where we left off?" I whisper.

Her eyelids flutter and her cheeks flush. She moves her head and leans closer to me. Just as I think that she's about to kiss me, she seems to snap out of her trance and shoves me off of her.

"I have a boyfriend, Dylan!!! God!" she groaned and yelled.

"Well, how did you expect me to know that??" I retorted.

"Well, maybe I would have told you if the first thing you did wasn't try to make a move on me!"

Ouch, she got me there.

"Sorry," I said with a sheepish grin.

Her eyes softened and the tension in the room seemed to be lifted.

"No, I'm sorry. I'm just kind of having an off day today," Kaylee apologized.

"Ohhh...is it a visit from the big red wave again?"

Her jaw dropped and her eyes sparked with delight as she laughed. It was nice to see the old Kaylee coming back.

"Oh my God, Dylan!! It's called a period, not some deranged form of a tsunami!" she shrieked with embarrassment. "And no, I'm just not feeling that good today."

"What? You know I find that name way funnier!" I said chuckling. "Well, are you down for another one of our famous movie nights tonight? They always used to cheer you up. My place? I'll provide the popcorn, extra butter just the way you like it, and you provide the movies!"

Her eyes twinkled with the very idea of one of our old traditions. And then her face fell.

"I can't make it tonight, sorry. I have a date with Ryan."

"Ryan?"

"Yeah, my boyfriend. Ryan Gray."

Ryan Gray, Ryan Gray. Why does that name make me feel uncomfortable? I couldn't put my finger on it.

"But I can make it on Friday night!" she blurted out, a little too excitedly.

My heart leaped at her eagerness and I threw her my classic smirk.

"Sounds good, sweetheart."

**********************************************************************

Sorry for the long wait for this update! I've been extremely busy with summer school, sports, projects, and other personal things. I hope it was worth it though! Personally, I like this chapter a lot because it's so lighthearted and playful. And come on, who wouldn't love a chapter with Dylan in it? ;) And surprise! Dylan POV! Is it odd that I find it way easier to write in his perspective than Kaylee's?

Do you like this new, flirtatious Dylan?

What do you think of Kaylee's behavior towards Dylan?

How do you think movie night will go?

#TeamRylee or #TeamKaylan?

Would you like me to go over Ryan and Kaylee's date or just skip it?

If you enjoyed this chapter, don't forget to vote, comment, and stay tuned for the chapters to follow! Add this story to your reading list or follow me if you'd like to be notified of every update :) Also, please share this story with your friends or followers if you think they'd enjoy it!

Continue lendo

Você também vai gostar

I Wish You Would De Em

Literatura Feminina

6.8K 682 36
Love. Such a delicate thing. And in young teenagers, so fresh and so confusing at the same time. Every person wants to love and feel loved by someone...
294K 10.1K 47
A stranger to her own existence, Kayla moves to a small town with the hope of finding comfort in fresh starts. But as she steps inside the unfamiliar...
524K 16K 49
"Kara, you're my best friend right?" "Umm yeah?" "You'd do anything for me, right?" "As long as it doesn't involve 10 years in prison, yeah." "Be my...
2.3K 121 31
I fell for a boy with the kindest blue eyes, and a charming dimple. He made me feel loved, and cared for, and most importantly he made me feel safe i...