The Verdant Prince

By Geeks4Squeaks

Asgard- home of the beautiful. Home of the gods and goddesses of the Norse Tales. Buildings built in gold and... More

Chapter 1: Beginnings
Chapter 2: The Ass of Asgard
Chapter 3: Wealthy Poors
Chapter 4: Broken Sticks
Chapter 5: Our Final Feast
Chapter 6: 5 Years Too Long
Chapter 7: Useful Tools
Chapter 8: Broken Tools
Chapter 9: Somber Dancing
Chapter 10: Falling Boats
Chapter 11: Vomiting Vanguards
Chapter 12: Guttural Words
Chapter 13: The Eddas
Chapter 14: The Snapping of Bones
Chapter 15: Handsama
Chapter 17: Wreak Havoc
Chapter 18: Escape from the Fires
Chapter 19: Refugees
Chapter 20: The Striking of Deals
Chapter 21: Equals
Chapter 22: Let Go
Chapter 23: Last Night of Innocence
Chapter 24: Burning Bridges
Chapter 25: A Warrior's Tears
Chapter 26: Lively Nightmares
Chapter 27: Disorientation and Direction
Chapter 28: Rainy Thoughts
Chapter 29: The Tunnel System
Chapter 30: Conformation
Chapter 31: The Perfect Distraction
Chapter 32: Burst Bottles
Chapter 33: Sweet, Sweet Revenge
Chapter 34: To Hel With Pity
A Thank You
Update/Help
Sneak Peek

Chapter 16: Hide and Seek

5.4K 267 201
By Geeks4Squeaks

           **** Contains graphic violent/gruesome scenes later in the chapter. If you wish to skip over it, read until you see this: ++ and skip over the text until you see another ++**** 

Home. The smell of fresh bread. Blooma, her hair braided back beautifully. Beside her a man and a woman. They looked fresh, clean and as if they were really glowing. I began walking towards them, my body feeling like feathers as I seemed to glide. There were no smells, no sounds, only the bright light and my family waiting. They were waiting for me, I could not let them wait any longer.

Suddenly a force began to pull me back, preventing me from pushing on towards the happy scene. I fought, and it resulted in me screaming vulgarly and kicking. But nothing changed as I was dragged back to the darkness.

-

"Y/N." Hissed a familiar brute voice. I exhaled slowly, remembering what I had done. I was on a chilled stone floor, barely any light shone through stone pillared cage-like corridor.

"What?" I asked, sitting up slowly and feeling my brain beat thunderously against my head.

"Where is Loki? Have you seen him?" Thor asked, scooting closer to me. It was only then I realized we had both been chained by our hands and feet to a heavy bolder in the middle of the cage.

"He was with me, he was unharmed." I explained. "What happened? How did you get captured while making little to no sound?" I asked, angry and confused. We were trained for five years to prevent ourselves from getting captured. How did every one of us succeed in doing so so easily?

"Spell. We hadn't heard anything, there was all of the sudden dark Jotuns and they had attacked all at the same time. All they had to do was rest their filthy hands on our heads and then there was nothing. I only awoke when the door was opened and they threw you in here," Thor explained quickly.

"I wasn't able to see which way we had headed. They took the horses, too," I said. My heart yearned for the comfort of Bjorn. Thor sighed, resting his head in his calloused palms. "Where are the rest of warriors?"

"Our prison, which is what I assume we are in, is side by side with the rest. They separated Orgnar and I. It's probably for the same reason they separated Loki and you." Thor said, gesturing towards the large stone door.

"And why is that?" I asked, resting my head against the cool bolder behind me.

"Too powerful, too smart, too bold," Thor trailed off, smirking softly as he continued. "Or at least I would think so. Judging by the galaxy looking bruises on your face, you did not yield- which of course you technically are not allowed to. My gratitude is extended to you," Thor said, opening his hands slightly. I nod my head to him.

"I knelt to yield and sliced five of their ankles. Long story short by the time the rest of them reacted they had been killed," I explained. Thor furrowed his eyebrows, rubbing the small bit of stubble on his chin.

"Do you think that is their weakness?" He asked.

"Yes. They dropped like flies when I did it. It's their soft spot," I stated and Thor nodded again. We were silent, both anxious and fidgeting with our hands.

"Why do you think they did not kill us?" I asked. Thor shifted, the glint of his armor reflecting off in the room.

"I have thought of that. There would be only three reasons." Thor said grimly. "One, they will enter us in an arena fight. We fight like dogs for money. Much like the Spartans in Midgard ages ago. Two, we are sold or kept as slaves. Or three, we are turned in to the King and slaughtered."

"I have reason to believe that none of those options are good," I said sarcastically. Thor chuckled lowly.

"As do I," He said.

It seemed like ages before we spoke, or heard anything for that matter. There were footsteps, clinking, and grunts until it stopped at our door. The troll-like creature shoved a single food tray into the cell and left. That was it.

"I do not trust it," I hissed. Thor nodded his head and we left it be. "Can you not summon Mjolnir?" I asked suddenly.

"No. It was left at our camp and even then something is preventing our magic from being used or manipulated in the cells," Thor sighed, pushing his sweaty hair out of his face.

"There has to be a weak point in the cell that allows little magic," I thought out loud.

"If there was anywhere, it would be closest to the doors. That is the only opening in the cell," he said. "But we can't reach it. The chains are too short."

I groaned in frustration and leaned forward to rest my head between my knees. I had to think, think of a way to get out. Could Thor and I move the boulder together? Push it towards the door and burst open?

Y/N.

I flinched and looked around rapidly.

"What is it?" Thor asked leaning forward in excitement as if I could have really found a new way to get out.

"Hush and let me find out," I said sharply, my face was scrunched in concentration. It had been Loki's voice. I panicked. Loki hadn't told me anything on how telepathy worked. I wanted to punch him and hug him all at the same time.

"Do you know how telepathy works?" I asked Thor quickly. Thor looked at me as if I was insane. And opened his mouth to talk but I cut him off. "Nevermind- do not answer."

I know I have not taught you anything about telepathy, so what I am teaching you now you better get down quick. Loki said. His voice made my head feel tingly and odd. I nodded my head but quickly realized that it was no good. He would be able to see me nod.

Pinpoint your energy to your head like you would so with your hands to create light. Loki said, his voice sounding softer. Now using that energy, create a bubble or cube in your mind and put whatever message you want to say in it. Concentrate and focus hard. Then imagine moving that cube with the message in it to the person you want. See them in your mind vividly and it will be delivered.

Easier said than done.

The cube. The message. Loki.

There was no response.

The cube. The message. Loki.

Again no response. I tried again another five times before I beat my fists down into the ground in frustration.

"Can I speak now?" Thor asked.

"Yes, I apologize," I sighed, rubbing my eyes tiredly. Thor simply chuckled until he is serious for once.

"Are you speaking to someone?" He asked.

"No, though I wish. Telepathy. Loki is trying to telepathically speak to me but I cannot respond. I don't know how to." I said. This was pathetic, I was pathetic. Asmund could have probably done this much easier. Maybe Loki could reach Asmund instead.

"He can speak to you through these shielded walls? What cell is he in?" Thor asked, a renewed energy in him as he scoots towards the boulder and me.

"Yes, and I do not know, I am sorry," I replied. Thor only nodded his head. "Can you do it? Speak telepathically."

Thor shook his head. "No. The strength that I have is from the sky and myself, otherwise, I have no magical talent. I am a warrior, not a sorcerer." I hummed in response.

"Then I will try again," I said.

--

It was too long. Too long I had spent attempting to contact Loki and he had not responded yet. I had not slept well for too long as well. It was mere minutes until I laid my head back against the boulder and let sleep consume me.

Black. Onyx. Night. I knew it was a nightmare. I could feel it. I knew I was in a nightmare- my own nightmare. But I could not wake. I could not wake myself from the Hel that tried to drag me down once more.

++

Asmund- disappointment displayed on his severed head. Thor- limbs torn to make brute runic symbols. Orgnar- arrows piercing his skin like a hunted animal. I saw these scenes in the eyes of a monster, atop a hill of bloodied bodies. In the monster's hand was another head. The head's silky black hair was tangled between the monster's silver fingers. The monster held the head up to show a man with clouded verdant green eyes, pale skin, and his face slack. I wanted to scream in rage, or fear- I wasn't quite sure. It was the Dark Prince's head.

Suddenly there was darkness. No piles of bodies. No severed heads. Just a dark room with eerie feelings and sounds of heavy breathing. I was in the room with the beast, the monster. The monster that had done such things to my friends and comrades. I drew my sword and readied myself for the inevitable battle. The heavy breathing and quickened footsteps circled, drawing closer to me. A quick blow to the side of my shoulder sent me stumbling, unbalanced. I spun around, slicing the thin darkness to see nothing was there. The monster quickly disarmed me, throwing my silvery daggers away from me- leaving me without a decent weapon.

++

"Show yourself, you coward," I hissed lowly. Suddenly the beast's breath was tickling my cheeks. I came face to face with it. Slowly, a light shown from the darkness, displaying the monster's form.

It was me. The exact replica of me. The creases in my tired forehead, the bruises upon my face, my white, gold and silver lined armor, my daggers. Everything. I was speechless. The fear of myself and what I was able to do was boiling inside of me.

I couldn't ever escape the monster.

I couldn't ever escape myself.

Y/N- get up. A familiar voice pleaded. He sounded distressed and or angry.

But I couldn't leave. She was standing in front of me, staring at me with horrible judgment in her eyes.

Get out. Get out! Wake up. He shouted again, rumbling the floor under us. The light that had appeared began to shrink, sucking me up with it. The figure of myself below shrieked and screamed, clawing its way up to me, pleading and begging me to release her. I kicked her bruised face, sending her spiraling down below me in a raging shrieking fury.

I woke with a start, gasping and coughing as I ungracefully choked on my own saliva. I took deep heavy breaths. The image of me, the beast was still fresh in my head.

Calm down, by the Gods. Loki's voice said heavily. He sounded tired and afraid. I glanced to the side to see Thor resting with his arms crossed in front of him.

How did he know I was not calm? I thought to myself.

Your last thoughts before falling asleep were probably of me and the message you were attempting to give me. Loki explained, exhaling slowly- I could almost picture him in my mind. His dark hair messier than usual and dark bags beneath his striking eyes. So when you fell asleep and witnessed a nightmare, it set a very strong emotion toward your brain where your energy was pinpointed. You unconsciously sent your nightmare to me. Meaning the telepathic link between us now permanent unless we draw out of it together. It takes less concentration. Congratulations, Lady Y/N, you have truly impressed me.

I was still processing my nightmare as well as all of the confusingly accurate information Loki had just provided me with. I take a deep breath and calm my racing heart as I gently lean against the boulder again.

You can hear me then, correct? I asked.

Indeed. He responded.

What cell are you in? I am with your elder brother. I believe they have purposely separated you and I as well as Thor and Orgnar. I said quickly, leaning forward once again. I couldn't seem to sit still now. I was uncomfortable knowing Loki had witnessed my nightmare.

I felt Loki's deep chuckle vibrate in my head before sending shivers down my spine.

I am not in a cell, Y/N. When you were so beautifully retaliating, I was able to create an illusion of myself. I am currently at the door of your cell. He said smoothly. I snapped my head up to the cell door and stood, the chains rattling and scraping against the cold stone floor. I walked forward, as close to the door as I could, which was still too far away. The chains were pulling at my arms and shoulders, but I didn't care. Out the door, I could only see faint torchlight and stone. It was always stone. There was no Loki.

I thought you said you couldn't draw an illusion. I also thought you said you were outside my door. I said and exhaled. He was the Sly Prince after all. Lying was his strong suit.

I had a quick spurt of power, just enough to create an illusion to slip away while you were, well, being beaten. I walked alongside the company of Jotun's while I kept my illusion up. They didn't once touch me, I believe it's in their code to not touch a being who has surrendered. Loki said. He seemed to know how to explain everything in detail. Everything. And as for outside your door.

"I did not lie to you, Y/N," Loki said, but it was not in my head. It had echoed softly against the vast prison cell. I looked again at the wide door to see Loki, smirking, as he clasped his hands behind his back.

"How in the Gods-" I said slowly, pulling forward as the chains also pulled at my shoulders.

"Like I said, if you imagine it, you can do it," Loki said. I sighed in relief and glanced back to Thor who was stirring slightly.

"Do you know how to get us out?" I asked quietly. Loki frowned slowly.

"Yes, but you will have to wait another few hours. Even then I don't think I will be able to get everyone out," he said.

"What do you mean by that?" I asked harshly.

"The Jotun's are sorting all of you out into groups at this moment. Arena warriors, slaves, and selling slaves," He said. "They won't turn us into the King, otherwise they would not make a profit from it."

I sighed tiredly, scratching the back of my head.

"So you can only get us out when we are being delivered?" I asked.

"Yes. I couldn't hold my invisible state up long enough to watch and figure out who was being assigned where." Loki said and he quickly snapped his head to the right then back at me. He leaned forward, pressing his face against the rugged stone bars. "Just trust me, and don't eat the food," Loki whispered. Suddenly he disappeared just as a very round Jotun turned the corner, glancing into our cell and spitting at it. I spat back.

I sighed and returned to my not so cozy seat against the boulder. I was too tired to reach out and wake Thor to explain to him the news so I grabbed a small loose rock and threw it at him. It hit him right in the shoulder and he woke up fairly quick, looking around for any signs of distress. I chuckled softly.

"I have just spoken to Loki." I said quietly, a hint of amusement lacing my tired words.

---

It wasn't long after I had explained to Thor what had happened that there were angry screams and grunts echoing the vast corridors. We were being moved. Dark shadows appeared at our door before it was open, creaking eerily. The Jotun had thick armor and large round chains. I guess those were supposed to go around our necks. I sighed, knowing full well I probably wouldn't win against this monster of a Jotun, but I could try. I cracked my neck and knuckles before standing tall and drawing my fists in front of me. Thor stood beside me in the same stance.

"You're going to get in trouble with the Allfather," I said lowly as the Dark Jotun approached, chains rattling as he began to swing them.

"The Allfather can't see me right now," Thor said back. I couldn't help but smile. Thor disobeying? Unlikely but happened in front of my own eyes.

The Jotun swung his meaty fist at us, and so began the game of hide and seek with Asgardians and Jotuns.

*************** NOT PART OF THE STORY BELOW *****************

Hello again! You may be wondering, did I read that right?? TWO chapters in one day? Within an hour apart? Oh yes. Yes indeed. I had started typing the second chapter before I even published the first once today. I wanted to just save up on chapters and start to upload on a schedule but I am not that organized yet which I apologize for. I couldn't resist uploading a second story because I really love you guys and I figured cliffhangers suck. (Ironically there is a cliffhanger at the end of this chapter.) So I figured why not anyways. I have also been wondering about you all! I would love to do a Q and A with you all in the comments! You can ask me any question and I will answer as best I can regarding the question. As for you, my lovely readers, here are my questions for you! (You can answer as many or as little questions as you want to!)

*Verdant Prince Questions*
-------------------------
What's your favorite chapter so far?
Who's your favorite character so far?
What do you want to see more of?
What do you want to see less of?
What's your favorite part about reading any fanfiction?
Do you have any predictions on what's going to happen?
Are the characters sort of accurate?
Do you enjoy these Q and A's or do you want me to scratch it because it's kind of lame?

*Regular Questions*
-----------------
What's your favorite color?
Do you have any fanfictions written?
Your favorite TV shows?
Your favorite food?
Your favorite animal?
Do you have a job if so do you enjoy working it?
Books or Movies?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

445K 18.6K 66
{SET BEFORE THE EVENTS OF 'THOR'} - "Did you know," she said, sitting on the ground and turning to the prince, "that Midgard has an entire language d...
2.2K 48 16
Loki X reader Y/n is an asgardian who was living an amazing life far away from the city of Asgard with her mother. Her mother was the head of the ser...
5.2K 112 13
Nimue, Frost Giant Loki, Asgardian Prince Both met each other when he came to Jotunheim with his brother and the warriors three, plus Sif Will Loki h...
569K 22.1K 65
The chambers of Loki Odinson have always been off-limits to everyone, including the staff of Asgard Palace---that is until Y/N. ___ After a brief enc...