Glee: To the Next Level (the...

By arias3

With all of its original members gone, the glee club must struggle to survive at McKinley High School. Having... More

To The Next Level [Glee FanFic #2]
Chapter 1: Excited
Chapter 2: Trio
Chapter 3: Britney x3
Chapter 4: Rite of Passage
Chapter 5: Payback's a Bree
Chapter 6: Hot N' Cold
Chapter 7: Awkward
Chapter 8: Complicated
Chapter 9: Over
Not a Chapter-- QUESTION TIME ^_^
Chapter 10: Legacy
Chapter 11: Adams-Wilde vs Hart-Brown
Chapter 12: Misunderstandings
Chapter 13: The End of the Beginning
Chapter 14: The Fall Musical
Chapter 15: War for a Role
Chapter 17: Never Set Me Free
Chapter 18: Halloween Bash
Chapter 19: Burning Up
Chapter 20: Hairspray
Chapter 21: Friend or Foe
Chapter 22: Revelations
Chapter 23: Duets and Vulnerabilities
Chapter 24: Birthday
Chapter 25: Replacement
Chapter 26: Competition
Chapter 27: Generosity
Chapter 28: Feliz Navidad and a Happy New Year
Chapter 29: Eye of the Tiger
Chapter 30: The Creative Process
Chapter 31: Film Do-It's
Chapter 32: Guilty Pleasures
Chapter 33: New Information
Chapter 34: Right Where You Want Me
Chapter 35: Before You Go
Chapter 36: King of Laziness
Chapter 37: That 70s Show
Chapter 38: Decades Dance
Chapter 39: The Next Forty Minutes
Chapter 40: Valentine Grams
Chapter 41: A Time for Love
Chapter 42: Addicted to Love
Chapter 43: Project Popularity
Chapter 44: The Girls' Demands
Chapter 45: One End and Two Beginnings
Chapter 46: Sorting Hat
Chapter 47: One Week
Chapter 48: The Girlfriend
Chapter 49: The Show
Chapter 50: Finale
Chapter 51: New Girl
Chapter 52: Cheerleaders and Angels
Chapter 53: Regionals
Chapter 54: Denial
Chapter 55: Anger
Chapter 56: Fed Up
Chapter 57: Bargaining
Chapter 58: Back to the Beginning
Chapter 59: Poor Unfortunate Souls
Chapter 60: Boys Will Be Boys
Chapter 61: The Full Killing Machine
Chapter 62: Picnic
Chapter 63: Looking For Salvation
Chapter 64: Wonderland
Chapter 65: Downward
Chapter 66: Getting Involved
Chapter 67: Depression
Chapter 68: Change
Chapter 69: Before Prom
Chapter 70: Prom
Chapter 71: After Prom
Chapter 72: The Drinking Game
Chapter 73: No Habla EspaƱol
Not a Chapter-- READERS' CHOICE ^_^
Chapter 74: The Super Secret of the Super Devious Super Girl
Chapter 75: Know Your Enemy
Chapter 76: Whatever Comes Next
Chapter 77: The Only Way is Up
Chapter 78: Crazy
Chapter 79: Harlie
Chapter 80: Late Night Bonding
Chapter 81: Athens of the South
Chapter 82: Fly Away
Chapter 83: Superlatives
Chapter 84: One, Two, Three
Chapter 85: Graduation
Character Contest

Chapter 16: Resurface

4.4K 95 35
By arias3

"I love having the guys directing the musical," Bree said as she applied lip gloss. We were getting ready for our first table read-- finally!-- the Thursday after the first boot camp.

"They're pretty awesome," I agreed. "And talented."

"Who cares about that?" said Bree with a laugh. "The three of them are smoking hot. That Puckerman is--"

"Okay, eww," I stopped her. "He's dating Quinn first of all, and also, Kitty dated him already. Like she dated Jake? History repeating itself, no."

"You think Kitty will care if I date another ex of hers?" she asked, to which I nodded. "As if that mattered. What harm's a little bang for your Puck?" She snickered. "Besides, even if he's for whatever reason off limits, there's still Mike and his sexy, dancing abs. Oh, and you can't forget about Finn Hudson, ugh!"

"Please stop!" I groaned. "You're talking about the guys who mentored us last year. I mean, they're old and they're kind of like big brothers so you're really disgusting!"

"Amity is the same age apart from Sam as you are from Finn," Bree pointed out. "Don't you think it grosses her out that you dated him?" Before I could respond she added, "And let's not forget that you have an actual brother, Cory. And how old was he? Oh, that's right. The same age as your precious little Sam!"

"Ok, enough!" I said, feeling like I might throw up my lunch from earlier. "Let's just head to the choir room already okay."

We chuckled as we left the restroom and she smacked my butt with a loud, "Whoo!" Bree had been urging me to have fun, while also pushing me in Sam's direction. Meanwhile, Ryder seemed to be getting chummier and chummier with that Katie girl. 

***

"Okay," said Finn. "Where were we?"

"Sugar," sighed Mike. We had to stop almost every five lines because there were all sorts of questions interrupting the script reading.

"Oh, right," said Finn. "Okay, let's take it from there again. Remember guys, you just walked into Maybelle's party. Black kids and white kids are mixing. And we have Julie and Sugar on the other side of the wall. And... Action..."

Sugar: Now don't worry, Mommy will take care of everything...

"And here the music will start for Big, Blonde, and Beautiful," Mike murmured. "Sugar looks through her closet for a dress as Unique gets ready. And then Maybelle enters." We were skipping through the singing because it would take too long to get through the script if we went through the numbers. Besides, not all of the arrangements were finished, not even close, so we'd be focusing on music and choreography later.

Unique: Are you all hungry for some good fun?

"And she sings as Tracy and Link enter," Mike went on. "Okay, she's singing, Link and Tracy are loving it... She sees them and..."

Unique: Well... Looks like y'all took a step out of bounds... Now who do we got here?
Jake: Mom, I want you to meet my new friends. This here is Link. Tracy Turnblad.
Kitty: This is just so Afro-tastic!

We laughed at that line, as Kitty said it perfectly.

Jake: And this young lady right here... Is Penny Pingleton...
Marley: I'm very pleased and scared to be here.
Unique: Oh, now, honey. We got more reason to be scared on your street.

Unique mumbled some stuff about a record as Jake looked up at Marley.

Jake: Shall we dance?

Marley looked uncomfortable.

"And we shift over to the other half of the stage, where Amber is in her bedroom," said Mike. "Talking to Edna Turnblad on the phone."

Julie: My name is Mike.
Ryder: Mike?

I looked up at Mike and he grinned.

Julie: Yes, Mike. 
Ryder: Mike who?
Julie: It's Mike! Anyway... 

I cleared my throat as it said to do on the script, but Marley spoke before I could read my next line. "I'm sorry," she said. "We need to stop."

"What?" I said.

"She's doing fine," Ryder told her. I blushed and looked at Marley.

"Not you," she explained. "Me. I'm sorry Finn, but I can't play Penny."

"Why not?" asked Finn.

"Marley," said Jake, "if this has anything to do with me, I'm--"

"Not everything is about you!" she burst. Then she creased her forehead and shook her head as she said, "Guys, I'm really sorry. I just have too much going on and I think I should switch to a smaller role on this one."

"Who would play Penny?" asked Mike.

"Umm..." said Marley, looking around at our main cast. "Amity. Amity can do it."

"What?" said Amity, who probably felt as though she'd just been thrown under a bus. "No I can't."

"Yes you can," Marley told her.

"No, I really can't," Amity insisted. "Besides, I'm playing Penny's mom, I can't--"

"You have time to learn my lines," said Marley. "And I'll learn yours. We'll switch."

"I really can't," Amity repeated. But Marley was already looking pleadingly at her. We all watched them intensely as they exchanged glances. Then Amity sighed. "Yeah, okay," she said. "I'll switch roles."

Marley sighed, too, but with relief. "Thank you so much," she told her.

***

"Now, before we get into choreography," said Mike the next Monday. "We need to talk wardrobe. So I've brought an expert." He extended his arms in a voila way as Tina walked onto the stage. We were in the auditorium, hoping to finally act out some of the numbers.

"Queen T!" Unique exclaimed as she and Kitty rushed over to hug her. We greeted her with warmth and she smiled widely.

"Hi!" Tina shrieked with excitement. "I'm here to help you guys prepare your outfits. We're mostly going to be changing up some of the things from Grease last year and making them work, but there are some outfits that I'll need to make specifically for this show."

"The reason we're doing this now and not later," said Mike, "is that we need to make sure you all can dance in your wardrobe. Especially Kitty and Ryder."

"Right," said Kitty with a grin. "The fat suit."

"You guys also need to diet, please," said Tina. "Last year we had wardrobe issues and--"

Marley's face was flushed. I thought smoke might escape from her ears. 

"Umm..." Tina mumbled. "Just stay healthy okay?" She looked around for something to move onto. "Umm... So Amity, we're going to have to get some extensions on you to make the Penny pigtails and, uh, Kitty, I'm not sure if the guys want you in a wig or they'll just let you stay blonde but, uh... Oh, Julie!" She turned to me, snapping her fingers and startling me. "That hair has got to go, though. Amber has to be blonde. As does her mom." She turned to Sugar.

"We'll go dye our hair," said Sugar.

Tina laughed. "A wig will be fine," she told her with a laugh.

"It's ready," Puck said as he walked in.

"What is?" asked Joe.

"The surprise I brought you guys," Tina grinned. "Come on, to the choir room!" As we headed back to the choir room, I slowed down and watched as Marley lagged behind.

"Hey girly girl," I told her. "You doing okay?"

"She's so nonchalant about it," she immediately said. I followed her gaze. A few yards ahead of us, Kitty was making her way to the choir room on John's back, laughing as he pretended to almost drop her.

"Ahh..." I murmured. 

"I thought I was past it," Marley said. "You know, what she did to me during Grease and after... I thought I had forgiven her but I hear her talking about her role and the fat suit and... You know what she had told me when she saw that I wasn't fitting into my Sandy outfit?" I waited. "She walks in, sees me, and asks, 'Are you playing the lead in Grease or Hairspray?' And now look at her..."

We walked into the choir room and took our usual seats. Then Alex, who hadn't been in school that morning, walked in, too, and took a seat next to Marley. She seemed to like this, as she finally smiled when she saw him.

"Is he the surprise?" Sugar asked Tina.

"I have no clue who he is," Tina said. "Anyway, no. The surprise is this... A performance by me!" The band got ready to play, Tina turned her back on us, and Ryder turned to me.

"Should've known Tina's surprise was going to be her singing," he joked as Tina began. I laughed and looked at him. It was so nice that he was finally talking to me.

Tina: Ladies leave your men at home.
Blaine: The club is full of ballas and they pockets full grown
Sam: And all you fellas leave yo girl with her friends

I turned around at the sound of his voice and nearly jumped up with excitement.

Sam and Tina: 'Cause it's 11:30 and the club is jumpin' jumpin'

From behind me, Bree leaned in and shook my shoulders happily. Not only was Sam back, but he had a sexy new haircut and was looking better than ever.

Blaine, Sam, and Tina: Boys say you got a girl? Yes true you got a man. But the party ain't gonna stop. So let's make it hot hot!

I tried not to get too excited. After all, as Blaine and Sam stood back to back, Sam had made absolutely no eye contact with me.

Tina (with Blaine): Last week and you stayed at home alone and lonely (Couldn't find yo man, he was chillin' with his homies) 

Tina grabbed Sam's lower back and he shook her off, looking pretty uncomfortable. He looked serious but I couldn't tell if he was just too into the song to smile.

Tina (with Blaine): This week and your goin' out if he (Try to stop you, your goin' off)
(You got ya) hair done (and ya nails done too) Outfit and (your fendi shoes) 

The three went over to the piano and took a seat.

Tina (with Blaine): You and you who parlayin' at the hottest (spot tonight) (You're gonna find the fellas rollin' in the lexus, trucks and hummers)

Then they made their way back to the center of the room.

Blaine and Sam (Tina): Boys say you got a girl? (Ooh) Yes true you got a man (Ooh) But the party ain't gonna stop (Oooh) So let's make it hot hot! (Oooh!)

Then they did the cutest little choreography I'd ever seen as the rest of us cheered.

Blaine and Sam: Ladies leave yo man at home
Tina with Blaine and Sam: The club is full of ballas and they pockets full grown
Blaine and Sam: And all you fellas leave yo girl with her friends
Tina with Blaine and Sam: 'Cause it's 11:30 and the club is jumpin' jumpin'
Blaine and Tina (Tina): Ladies leave yo man at home (Oh woah) The club is full of ballas and they pockets full grown (Whoa oh oh) And all you fellas leave yo girl with her friends (Friends!) (Oh) 'Cause it's 11:30 and the club is jumpin' jumpin'

They made their way into the rows and Sam walked right up to Kitty, doing his famous body roll... All over her. A flustered Kitty laughed and looked over at me, making a face.

Blaine and Sam (Tina): Sexy women do your dance (Oooh) fly ladies work yo man (Oooh)
All them fellas time to clown we can get down now

Then he moved back over to Tina and twerked on her.

Blaine and Sam (Tina): Bounce, baby, bounce, bounce, bounce (Oooh) Twerk it, twerk it. Shake, baby, shake, shake, shake, (Yeaah-yeah) Work it work it. Twist, baby, twist, twist, twist. You better (I'm gonna, I'm gonna) dip that thang (I'm gonna dip that thang)
Sam: One more time, bounce, bounce

He danced over to me. My stomach fluttered with anticipation. But it ended up being Ryder who he was going to as he repeatedly high fived him and practically gave him a lap dance similar to the one he'd given Kitty.

Blaine and Sam (Tina): Bounce, baby, bounce, bounce, bounce (Oh-oh no no!) Twerk it, twerk it. Shake, baby, shake, shake, shake, (Shake it!) Wwork it work it. Twist, (Twist it) baby, twist, twist (Twist it, twist it) Twist you better dip that thang (Dip that thang)
Sam: I said up and down bounce bounce

Flushed, I turned to see what the others were doing. Tina was shaking her thang in front of Unique, Marley and Alex, while Blaine was twerking for Jake and Bree. When I was turning back, I noticed Shana's eyes on Jake.

Blaine and Sam (Tina): Boys say you got a girl? Yes true you got a man (Oh!) But the party ain't gonna stop (Oh!) So let's make it hot hot! (Oooh-Ooo!)

They got back to the center of the floor and danced together one last time before heading to the black piano.

Blaine and Sam (Tina): Ladies leave yo man at home (L-l-ladies-ladies) The club is full of ballas and they pockets full grown (B-b-ballas-ballas) And all you fellas leave yo girl with her friends. 'Cause it's 11:30 and the club is
Blaine, Sam, and Tina: Jumpin' jumpin' 

 Sam jumped on top of the piano as the song ended and the other two posed on either side of him. We cheered for them extremely loudly. I turned to Ryder, who was watching me and then quickly turned to face our visitors.

"On behalf of New Directions," Joe started. "We are so happy to--" But he stopped because everyone was watching Sam make his way over to me. He nearly fell over as he leaned down to hug me. Ryder scooted his chair when Sam got too close to him, so Sam stood and pulled me up to give me a proper hug. I could feel everyone's eyes on us.

"I missed you so much," Sam said as he pressed me to his chest.

"I missed you, too, dork," I said, hoping he understood my muffled voice. He let me go and I could finally breathe, but as soon as I looked up at him I lost my breath again. It had been too long.

I turned back, remembering the room was full of people, and Bree began a slow clap. Now all eyes were on her. I gave her a look so she stopped but a few people laughed, easing the awkwardness.

***

"I really didn't think everything could resurface so quickly," Sam said as we walked down the hall together. 

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"Seeing you," he elaborated. "I mean, I knew I missed you but I was making it through, with our texting and our webchatting and our phone calls and all that. But as soon as I stepped into that room and saw you there I just came so close to losing it. I was trying so hard to keep it together during the entire performance."

I laughed. "Yeah," I said sarcastically. "I could tell as you gave my best friend and my ex-boyfriend lap dances."

"Okay," he said, "so that was more to make you jealous." I laughed. "That and to make you want to have this rockin' bod all over you instead." I laughed even more.

"It's great to have you back," I told him. "Seriously, it's not every day we get to have a model walking among us."

He grinned. "Well, I was always a model," he said. "At least I liked to think so. Remember the calendars?"

I smiled. "How could I forget?" He showed a hint of blush so I asked, "What are you all doing here anyway? You kind of pulled me out of that room before I could hear Tina explain."

"I've been struggling to keep this a secret from you the last few weeks," he said, the excitement in his voice and his eyes growing, "but... Ok, here it comes... We're running our own event!"

"Umm..." I said, unsure what this meant. "A what now?"

"Yeah," he said happily. "Santana's kind of becoming this publicist, event planner person and so she asked Blaine, Tina, and I to help out. She's throwing this big Halloween Bash in Tribeca and it's going to be awesome. I'm in charge of a few things and among them is rallying some cool people to come so..." He reached into his back pocket and pulled out a plane ticket. I gasped. "You're one of them," he said.

"Wow," I said, my eyes wide in surprise. New York was exciting, but I couldn't believe it would be possible to go.

"So what do you say?" he asked. 

"Wow," I repeated.

"Other than that," he said, looking as though he was starting to freak out.

"Sorry," I said, shaking out of my shock. "Umm, I'd love to, I just don't know if my dad will let me miss school."

Sam grinned. "Santana's an evil genius," he said. "There's this off-Broadway show and she scored tickets for everyone, including those two new kids who--"

"They haven't joined," I interrupted him. "Shana might so she's been hanging around and I think Alex just wants to score some with Marley."

"Well, we got them tickets, too," he responded. "Rachel's busy with Funny Girl coming up very soon and so we wanted to kind of do something a little different from routine and we thought what better than to take you guys up there. The show you'll have to watch is supposed to be pretty lame but Halloween won't so--"

"Wait, it's on Halloween?" I asked.

"Umm, yeah," he said. "It's a Halloween Bash."

"That's this Thursday," I said, freaking out.

"The show is Friday," he said. "But it's counting as a school field trip because Mr. Schue's taking you guys and there's no money for hotel rooms so you all will be splitting up and staying with us all for the night after the party."

"All fourteen of us and Mr. Schue?" I asked. "Then there's also Tina and Puck and Mike. How is everyone going to fit with you guys and Finn?"

"Oh, right, that's my other news," he said with a smile. He pulled out a set of keys from his front pocket and said, "I moved out."

"Really?" I said, excited for him.

"Yup," he nodded. "Quinn is going to move in with me in a few--"

"Quinn?" I asked. "As in the most gorgeous girl on the planet and your ex girlfriend Quinn?"

He smiled. "Your jealousy today is extremely cute and awesome," he gawked. "And there's nothing going on between us, trust me. She's just moving in because she's tired of Finn's messiness. But honestly, if she couldn't put up with him, she's gonna have a hard time with me. Oh, and Santana and Brittany have also been on the hunt for their own place so hopefully they find something before you guys get there and then there'll be plenty of space to put you all in."

"Great," I said.

"So now..." he said, holding up the plane ticket. "Now what do you say?"

I smiled and took a deep breath before saying, "When do we leave?"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

454K 10.3K 53
Everyone at McKinley High knows about New Directions. When the glee club does a production of Grease, sophomore Juliet Vasquez is dragged along to se...
49.8K 871 25
Ryley Berry's junior year at McKinley has begun and it's going to be a good one this year. With the New Directions finished, Ryley doesn't really kn...
76.6K 1.8K 69
Lia Torres just recently moved to Lima, Ohio leaving behind her best friend Kaydon. She gets a new shot at life but of course problems that arise tha...
2.9K 19 38
Based on Season Two... What happens when Rachel's sister Ashleigh Berry tries out for Glee Club, but will they accept her? Rachel's jealousy gets in...