Ziff under fire

By ziffdion

American security agents, suspecting Dr Zhang is hacking into U.S. computers, try to abduct him. The Canadian... More

Part 1 - Tidings of Doom
Part 2 - A Serious Security Situation
Part 3 - Fry! Fry! Fry!
Part 4 - Jump Starting
Part 5 - Snow Angel
Part 6 - Spitball
Part 7 - Under Surveillance
Part 8 - Yeast is a fungus
Part 9 - Operation OzBoz
Part 10 - The Terramax
Part 11 - Next left on Hoomalu
Part 12 - Moaning Minnies
Part 13 - A wee spot of bother
Part 14 - Boulevard des Allumettiéres
Part 15 - Radar lock-on
Part 16 - Don't Touch the Shower Handle
Part 17 - Bending space-time
Part 18 - Gravity Shear
Part 19 - The Atom Bomb
Part 20 - Sergei, Russian spy
Part 22 - Sabotage
Part 23 - Calutrons
Part 24 - A need to know basis
Part 25 - The kübelwagen
Part 26 - Lili-Marlene
Part 27 - The FOO
Part 28 - Compo rations
Part 29 - The Bren Gun Carrier
Part 30 - Back To The Guns
Part 31 - Alsos
Part 32 - Under Attack
Part 33 - Souvenirs
Part 34 - Escape
Part 35 - Item Eight Leader
Part 36 - A cloud of sparkling petals
Part 37 - Where's Ondy?
Part 38 - Immobilfoam
Part 39 - Yield Varlot
Part 40 - Souvenirs
Part 41 - Home
Part 42 - Who is Toktakunov?
Part 43 - Epilogue: The Bombs
Part 44 - Appendix - Nuclear Science

Part 21 - Thermal Diffusion

16 3 3
By ziffdion

I must have looked surprised because he slapped me on the shoulder and laughed uproariously. 'I make joke! I tell everybody I am Russian spy, so . . . no one believes me!'

'But I fool them . . . Really I am German spy! Heil Hitler! Ha, ha, ha, ha. Big joke. Ha, ha . . . Now, we get down to do business. Where is my burnt toasted bread?'

Beryl gave Sergei a plate of toast as he rummaged through the pile of papers on the kitchen table and pulled out a map. 'This is the separation plant for U-235. For security reasons it is called the Clinton Engineering Works but everyone knows it is Oak Ridge.'

'Where is my egg?'

'Sorry,' Beryl said. 'We finished the box last night.'

Sergei grunted. 'So . . . in just two years, these crazy Americans built three colossal plants just to separate uranium-235 from uranium-238. At the same time they built three big reactors at Hanford to make plutonium and then to extract it from all the radioactive fission products. Also they build a huge laboratory in the New Mexico desert to design, build and test the bombs . . . Only the Americans could do this!'

He slammed a fist onto the table for emphasis and the table replied, 'Guluk gloyk!'

It was Sergei's turn to be surprised. 'Holy Zeus! What is that?'

Dunc stuck his head out from under the table. 'Would yeh no make so much noise. Ah was trying to catch a wink o' sleep.'

Sergei recoiled. 'What is that? A puppet?'

I laughed. 'Sergei, let me introduce my pet goose, Duncan. He likes to be known as Chunky Dunc.'

'Ah'm nobody's pet,' Dunc said irritably. 'And Ah'm no overweight. Ah'm yehr guardian goose uncle and Ah would appreciate a wee bit o' respect.'

Sergei shook his head as Dunc waddled from under the table. 'He is real?' Sergei gasped. 'A talking goose?'

'O' course ah'm real. The question is, are you?'

'This will all make more sense with some beer,' Sergei said. 'Would anyone else like some?'

Kozak and Beryl nodded and Dunc said, 'Ah'll drink a beer wi' yeh if yeh'll pour it into mah dish.'

Sergei returned from the refrigerator with five bottles, one containing a cola for me. He snapped the caps off and poured beer into Dunc's dish. Dunc filled his beak and lifted his head to swallow.

Sergei watched him until Dunc said, 'Well now that ah'm awake you might tell us your plan.' He jerked his beak at the map. 'What's this?'

Sergei rummaged through the untidy mess on the kitchen table and produced a diagram.

'This is one end of a thermal diffusion column,' he said, 'and there are thousands of columns containing uranium hexafluoride gas. The U-235 tends to rise to the top and is drawn off and sent to the next column. This increases the concentration of U-235 from about 0.7% to 0.9%.

Beryl swallowed some beer. 'That's nowhere near concentrated enough for a bomb.'

'You are right,' Sergei said and pointed at the map again. 'This plant is the largest industrial building in the world, four-stories tall and half a mile long. The uranium hexafluoride gas from the thermal diffusion plant is forced through filters of porous nickel to increase the concentration of U-235 to nearly 7% enrichment.'

'That's still not enough,' Beryl said.

'When do we get to make a bomb?' Dunc grumbled.

 K25 building

'I'm getting there,' Sergei said. 'In the third plant, ionized uranium hexafluoride gas molecules are accelerated to into a vacuum chamber mounted between two magnets. The magnetic field forces the gas molecules to follow a circular path dependent on their mass. The heavier U-238 flies further out than the U-235 which is collect in a trap. So, the Americans are separating the U-235 one molecule at a time. I told them to use centrifuges but the engineers don't think they can make them go fast enough.'

'Using the output from the first two plants as feedstock , we expect get the enrichment up to about 89%, the remaining 11% being U-238.'

'Now we're getting somewhere,' Beryl said.

'Gloik, Ah could celebrate with a wee dram more beer,' Dunc said.

'Sorry,' Sergei said. 'We're out of beer. How about some Bourbon?'

'Gloik. A poor substitute for Scotch, but it'll have to do.'

Sergei poured a shot of Bourbon into Dunc's dish and topped it up with some beer from his own bottle.

Sergei produced a packet of cigarettes and offered them to Kozak. Beryl said, 'I hope you're not going to smoke in here. It is a dangerous habit that makes you stink.'

Sergei put the cigarettes away.

Kozak interrupted. 'Zis is all very interesting but Murga wants us to steal a bomb or enough U-235 to build a bomb. 'Ow can we do zhis?'

Diagram of final electro-magnetic separation system.   Tuballoy was the code name for the project.

One of the 'race track' assemblies

'I think it is not possible,' Sergei said sadly. 'The atom bombs are made at Los Alamos in New Mexico and the Americans do not yet have enough U-235 to make a bomb. Every molecule we extract here is sent to Los Alamos. Don't tell anyone I said that! It's top secret. Ha, Ha . . . Maybe we wait a few more months.'

'Zat will be too late,' Kozak groaned. 'Murga will not be pleased.'

'What about plutonium?' Beryl asked.

'That is even less possible. The production reactor is at Hanford in Washington State. We make only a little here at Oak Ridge with a pile which uses heavy water as a moderator instead of graphite. We get the heavy water and the uranium from Canada.'

'I looked into stealing some of the plutonium but it is too difficult. The security is tight and the radiation very dangerous. It sets off the geiger-müller radiation counters. They go mad. Also, making a bomb is difficult because it will explode too quickly.'

'Zhen we must use plan B,' Kozak announced. 'Murga says Germany will be defeated so we must sabotage ze process and get ze plans to Russia so Joseph Stalin can build a bomb quickly.'

Sergei looked puzzled. 'So now Germany is kaput . . . finished. And am a real Russian spy? Now I work for Mother Russia?'

'Why don't we go forward to a time when the Americans have the bombs in production?' I asked. 'Then we can steal one and take it backward in time to now.'

'Paradox.' Kozak said. ''itler did not explode a bomb so we can only succeed where there is no clear history.'

'Wait a minute,' I said sarcastically. 'Why are we trying to steal a bomb if you already know it didn't happen?'

'I already said zat to Murga. 'E wants it for ze Russians.'

'So 'ow we sabotage ze process?' Kozak asked.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

22 0 1
Die K-Pop Boygroup Ateez wird vom Südkoreanischem Staat zu einer Art TV Show eingeladen. Was erst noch als harmlos erscheint, entpuppt sich später al...
Wraith By SeventhAries

Science Fiction

42 1 34
Governmental officials unite with a team of elite scientists to create a manifestation of their vision of perfection, which comes in the form of a li...
957 78 15
Grace Herlum was never meant to be born. The human population was massive and had continued to expand at an astounding rate. The government began to...
Morag By Sol Milne

Science Fiction

1 0 1
Set in a dystopian future, Morag navigates her refugee camp to find a way out - for her & a secret hidden in backpack.