The Renaissance Of A Romance...

Від jenniejeann

For a multi-millionaire contemporary artist like Jennie, her long-time girlfriend and pianist prodigy, Park C... Більше

playwright • note
prologue • us
i. she
ii. dreamstate
iii. skirmish
iv. ultimate fate
v. lalisa
vi. coincidence
viii. alcazar
ix. miss roseanne
x. le crépuscule
xi. retrouvailles
xii. naked art
xiii. flavors
xiv. emergence
xv. lunisolar
xvi. castle on the hudson
xvii. death of a heart
xviii. death of a love
xix. death of a soul
xx. the renaissance (I)
xxi. the renaissance (II)
xxii. the enlightenment
au revoir

vii. nineteen sixty-five

4.3K 229 142
Від jenniejeann

vii. nineteen sixty-five

[ yiruma - time forgets ]

The Independent Republic of Greenwich Village, New York. Located on the lower part of Manhattan, between Houston Street and 14th West. The home of innovators, creators, artists, musicians, and poets alike. Diversity was the key to the district's successful recognition, the epitome of liberty and the dawn of limits . This is where a lost soul could seek its home, a place for revolution,  a place for reckoning, a neighborhood that exercises freedom & passion. You can see artistry in all corners of the place, whether in a bar, a resto,  dark alley, or on the side street. This is an artists' haven, the bohemian capital, the cradle of the 60s counterculture movements. The place that witnessed New York's renaissance.

timeframe ;  1965. September

JENNIE.

"Baby, you okay?" The velvety angel-like voice was all too familiar to my ears, and on cue, my system started to regenerate, my eyes opened with curiosity of the owner's voice. My orbs refocused and slowly, I realized that I was standing in a wide bright space where the love of my life that I missed so much appeared before me, my heart leaped in joy because it was all too good to be true. 

"Chaeyoung . . ." I muttered right then and there as I cupped her face, the overwhelming sensation lingered through me as I felt my heart ached and smiled at the same time. She was in this long white dress, and she was glowing. Like a dream. Or is this a dream?

Everything else was white and blurry but her face was clear to me. Actually, she's been the only clear thing in my life. Her milky skin that I've touched for the first time in the longest time sent shivers down my spine as each of my fingers fondled upon her complexion. "You don't know how much I've been waiting to see you again." I uttered as my voice have gone sobby. She flashed a gentle smile that melted my soul. "What were you doing when I was gone?" she asked with great echo. Finally, a tear fell as I felt it stream down my face. "Waiting for you to come home." I answered.

"I've been home all along." She whispered gently as she pressed her hand into my chest, "Here. I live in every beat of your heart, Jennie." she said knowingly. Her touch pressed my heart even more, adding more pain as I reminisce all those last moments with her alive. "It's not the same when you were still breathing with me. I want you back alive." I said with plead.

She embraced me as a response, her warmth went down through my soul I felt salvation and haven. I closed my eyes, "I love you." I uttered. At last, after for so long, I am home. She pulled herself closer as she reached my ears and whispered the gentlest words, "I love you, Jennie...Jennie...Jennie...Jen...."

I was flustered her voice suddenly became a fading echo, like it was going away. Seconds later, I began to feel the coldness as Chaeyoung's body faded away but the fleeting voice was still there . . . uttering my name over and over again . "Jen . . .Jen. . .Jen. . ." I started to feel dizzy as I tried opening my blurry eyes. Then a queer transition happened, like I was warped back into a place that sensed reality. I felt heavy all of a sudden. My body was lying onto something soft, like a bed. Wait, it is a bed.

My head ached so bad as I slowly gained my vision back, "Jen . . . Jen, wake up." the voice was strong again, this time it wasn't Chaeyoung's voice, it was feminine but distinct, it was a tone lower than before. "Hey, you're awake. Finally." a girl that had a long slicked ebony hair topped with a black beret,  with lips that formed like a heart greeted me with a smile as I wake. I had to strength to react in shock because the pain in my head flashed hot and hard. "Ugh!" I groaned in pain as the hammering started to hurt more. "Yeah, I know, it hurts." she said with comfortability, I was taken aback. Does she know me perhaps?  I thought in curiosity. "Wait, where am I?" I finally had the strength to lift myself up from what it seems like an old designed mattress that stretched way too long for only one person to sleep in. It looked very antique, heavy but bold with color of hot pink. It was strange. Not to mention that the room was kind of poppy and ranging with bright colors. The wallpaper was generally made out of a bold red palette of paisleys, there was pop art portraits displayed on each wall, the chandelier from above was in the shade of deep blue, the lamps were unusually big and dim, white curtains cascaded through a small edged balcony, the floor was wooden with more than three textured rugs occupying it. The chairs and stools were somewhat S-shaped, with a lot of curves dominating the figures and colors that ranged from pink to red. The design, color and scheme was strange for my liking, it didn't feel modern at all. I didn't know New York apartments still design old-school interiors like these. Quite intriguing. 

"Pfft. So you have amnesia now?" My attention snapped back when she huffed a short laugh like I was bluffing, but it made me more confused. "No. I just don't know this place nor do I know you." I said with sureness. Her face flipped into questioning. "What?!" Same girl, same. I thought.

"I'm really sorry, I'm so lost right now. I don't know why I got here. The last thing I remember was that I was on a street near Grand Central and a car ran over me." I stammered throughout my explanation but managed to finish. "Are you psyching with me right now?! Because Jen I'm not in the mood." She shot a malicious look. "Psyching? What do you mean?" Her choice of words bothered me. "Maybe you were just too drunk last night or maybe your dream was too real." Her excuse convinced herself to ignore what I was saying. "No. I was not drunk. I really don't fucking know you!" I said with a pinch of desperation.

 She took a moment and looked me in the eyes, I felt a little too conscious, "That's weird." She spoke. "What's weird?" I retorted a question. "Your eyes." She quickly replied as she flexed her body closer to mine, I quickly made space and distanced myself safely. I don't like her boldness. "Your eyes aren't the same. Like they speak differently." I found myself looking at her back with fixation, she had a dark pool of black orbs that tells me that I should know her, like I know her, I just forgot. "How would that help me remember anything?" I commented.

"Don't you remember?!" She asked again, I shook my head in honesty. "Last night? We went to The Bitter End  to hang? You had too much Bourbon Whiskey so you fell asleep on the table and you didn't wake up after that? I needed to rush you to your doctor but he said that you were just weirdly unconscious so I sent you home." her words made me the most confused person in the world, and I thought gays were having the most difficult time. Wait. "The Bitter End? Isn't that located on downtown Manhattan?" I asked with furrowed eyebrows. "Yeah, that's right. Downtown Manhattan. Greenwich Village, where we are right now." she nodded in confirmation. I bulged my eyes out. WHY IN THE HEAVEN'S DID I END UP HERE. "But why am I here?!" I tried to not look like a panicking gay but it was no use. "You live here." She answered. "No. I live uptown." I strongly disagreed. "You think your bestfriend would lie to you?" Her words triggered my headache again, I swiveled my head to the side hoping the pain would subside.  My guts were telling me that I should believe her. "Who are you?" I managed to ask, this time the atmosphere was more cunning and serious. "I told you, I'm your bestfriend. Kim Jisoo." She revealed. Then a spark of memory reemerged, my dream suddenly became evocative in my mind. I vividly remember that she was that girl in the coffee shop, I still smell the brewing caffeine, the live music, the surrogate people that smoked and drank with us.  Don't tell me that my dream just came true because I would fucking faint! My insides started to slur in panic, "Can I ask you questions?" I asked in favor. She nodded. "Sure, if that'll ease your mind." 

I proceeded. "What were we doing there?" 

Jisu or whatever her name is, stood up from bed and crossed her arms as she explained.  "We went to the Café to see Bob Dylan, he performs there every saturday night and you love his odd taste of music so I compromised and accompanied you." 

"Bob Dylan? I've met him on a music gala once. He's like 70 now, with breaking bones and a dehydrated throat. Why would he perform in an old coffee house?!" I expressed an obscure face, I suddenly felt foreign to this place, this moment, this time. Like I shouldn't be here.

"Uhm-because he's not fucking 70. He's actually 24 and you said he could pass as your husband. I also clearly remember you blabbering about walking up to him and ask him to marry you but that was just drunk talk" She stopped and looked at me in worry. ". . . Are you sure you're okay?!" She added, she doesn't know what to make out of the situation and neither am I.

"No. I'm sure he's old. Are you sure that it was Bob Dylan?" I shook my head firmly remembering the time when Chaeyoung and I snapped a quick photo with old Dylan on the red carpet.

"Uhm- no it's the sixties everyone could be a fucking clone." Her sarcasm bursted out, an obvious manner that I've noticed amidst the tight skirt and beret that made her look formal and reserved. But there was one word that baffled me. "What did you say?" I begged for repetition as my eyes fixated on her, "I said yes I'm sure it was Bob Dylan, he's the only man in town who could sing and pull off that tousled up hairstyle at the same time." Her added sarcasm just confirmed the dignified and woman-like fashion that she wears is just a cascading material she uses to hide her true personality and yet she freely expresses herself to me. Somehow, I'm convinced that this lady is really my bestfriend.

"No, the sixties part. What year is it?" She was a little bit flustered with my sudden taunting behavior but she answered, "Oh, you mean the date today? It's September 24th. 1965." My face crunched even more. I fucking don't see why it is a sensical phrase to say right now.

I huffed a nervous laugh, "Stop bluffing, Jisu. It's 2018." I insisted but worry is creeping out at the back of my head. "Hey, it's Jisoo with smooth double Os. And no, I'm not bluffing it's 1965." She confirmed, her tone was convincing and full of assurance. My anxiety cradled up my bones again, as I hear my heart beat a little faster. My mind was all over the place. 

This is just some kind of delusional dream right? Like some kind of nightmare that feels so real and true that I can even feel my heart beat so loud? Oh, fuck! Who am I kidding! I stood up and briskly walked all over the room. Then I saw a pink rotary phone on the desk, a wooden chiffonier with a pop up poster of a young Twiggy. A silver platted phonograph and a midget wall unit that displayed LP records of the Beatles, Rolling Stones, The Kinks, The Beach Boys, and Bob Dylan. An antique walnut clock that said 9 am. I was sweating out of fear already, this couldn't be real. Later then, I took notice of a white door, I opened it out of curiosity and it revealed an area full of clothes with shocking diversity. From bell-bottoms, mini-skirts, turtlenecks, culottes, petticoats, and a vast amount of bright colored shift dresses. Everything just screamed 60s. "No. No. No. It should be 2018 right now, I should have monotone crop tops and off shoulders! Not these blinding neon fluffies and baggy pants!" I was a bit irritated as I scanned the hangered clothing one by one. "You're seriously making your hysterical act very convincing." Jisoo was leaning on the front door, watching me in real panic. My head ached again, as every hair on my skin rose up, I think the realization that I traveled back in time and that I was really living and breathing in 1965 was finally creeping into my system. The bizarreness of this situation was just too overwhelming to handle. So I did what I do best, I panicked. "Oh my g- I just - tra-veled ba-ck in t-ime !!! Sh-" I quickly turned and took a step closer out of the door but she blocked me with her palms. "Stop! What are you doing?!" 

"P- panicking???" I said while continuously shaking my hands as I felt my legs wobble in hysteria. Then I started to loose my breath. A cold sensation traveled through my lungs,  like locking the air out with no space to breathe. My throat stiffened and I thought my nose shrunk as I was barely inhaling any air. It was the first time that I felt so far from oxygen like I was choking very very hard. "W-hy am I n-ot brea-th-ing?" I quickly uttered in between my suffocation. 

"Oh shit! It's because of your asthma, it comes when you overthink and panic. Hold still!" She said with authority. WHAT!? I HAVE FUCKING ASTHMA NOW!?  WELL THAT'S GREAT!  I screamed internally with sarcastic frustration. Jisoo instantly cupped my face as she inhaled and exhaled with me slowly, instructing me to calm down. She acted like she knew what she was doing, like it was a normal thing for her. I was surprised, truly.  "Come on, it'll subside if you breathe properly." She encouraged. Automatically, I followed her breathing and my heart went back to its normal beat. My sanity resurfaced and I felt relief again. I breathed out deeply, "Thanks."

...

"Well, then tell me who you are, I mean, base on what you believe you are?" she prompted. We went back to my supposed bedroom which I still find hard to believe and settled to talk seriously. I was still trying to convince her that I wasn't from this time frame, and that I'm a modern woman of the 21st century. I hesitated but her eyes that was full of confusion made me decide to tell. "I lived uptown, near Central Park. I've never had a bestfriend. I was a rich heiress of a telecommunication company. I was a contemporary artist. I graduated from the Royal College of Art. I lost my girlfriend a year ago. And I was hit by a car because I was trying to save my . . . friend." I revealed. "What? I was already lost when you said the telecommunication shit. I'm sorry." I wanted to laugh just because her vibe was just naturally funny, but I decided to control myself. 

Then I was reminded. I quickly tapped my hands to the pocket helms of my leather jacket. hoping that it was still there. Then a rectangular lump met my touch, and I smiled and grabbed it out for Jisoo to see. "Here." I showed her my smartphone, an iphone specifically. Her eyebrow raised drastically as her lips puckered in question. "What is that?"

"Proof that I live in the future. This is a smartphone. A very complex and advanced model of the rotary telephone that you have." I explained with certainty. Her lips went on the edge with a face so unimpressed. "Mmmm, it's looks cheap and disposable, and definitely not smart." She just unknowingly offended a multi-billion tech company. I sighed out. "Anyways, this was made in the future." It took her awhile to sink that all in but she nodded continuously, "Okay, let's just say I believe you. So does this mean you're a different person? Like you're not the Jen that I know?" Jisoo asked interrogatively.   "Do you always call me that?" I asked as I noticed something weird from the way she addressed my name. "Call you what?" her eyebrows furrowed again, "You call me Jen a lot of times. It's just weird to hear. Everybody calls me Jennie." I said deliberately. "Jennie? Fuck no, your name's just Jen." She said with certainty. 

"Ugh, this is insane! Everything about me here doesn't match to what I know of myself but what's weird is I look exactly the same." I answered. "Oh, so you're like dead after that car incident and just randomly reincarnated back through time with no knowledge of who you'll be?" Her question was lowly constructed but it made sense, I guess. So I nodded and said, "Yeah, and I don't know how I did it. It just kind of did." 

Before Jisoo could utter another word, the telephone rang out of nowhere and she had to pick it up. I was feeling kind of nervous as she grabbed the phone by the hand and placed it on her ear. 

"Hello?"

"Oh, hi. Yes. She's already awake Ma'am."

She took the phone away from her for awhile and stretched her neck towards me as she mouthed the word, It's your fucking mother! Then went back to the telephone and smiled. Wow, my mother is even here.

"Don't worry, I'll be here to watch Jen." 

"What?! You're coming?" 

"No - Uhm - I don't think that's neccessary Ma'a-"

"Fuck! That witch hanged up on me again!" Jisoo blurted out as she dropped the phone with force, annoyance was written all over her face. "She's coming?" i asked for confirmation, and she nodded. "Listen to what I will say. You're mother is a strict anxious lady who is overly petrifying. She is a woman of anguish because she's divorced to your Father when you were ten.  In short, you don't like her. I don't like her. We don't like her. Okay?" She chattered so fast that it was hard to catch up so I simply nodded, realizing that my mother from the future had no difference from my mother now. "I told her we were at a restaurant and you fainted because the steak you ate wasn't medium rare." She chattered again, my face crunched even more. "She actually believed that?"I questioned the validity of her excuse. "Believe me, missy. Your mother is the most distressed woman I've ever known. I still remember that one time when we were on sixth grade, you had a splinter on your finger, and she really came over and brought a doctor to our school after hearing that. Then she locked you up in your ranched mansion for like a week. And if you haven't noticed yet, your family is rich and daunting. " Her tone made me more nervous, like I have to prepare myself from the terror that I'll be facing again, "That's terrifying." My jaw dropped as she told me what my mother was like. "You haven't heard the half of it, Jen." 

Before both of us could utter another word, a knock on the door surprised us. Well, that's quick. Both of us displayed a paled face in panic. "Quick, quick! Go grab some decent dress inside your wardrobe! I'll greet her." It was my cue to rush to the other room and make a quick change, so I hold onto the pain of knowing that I would be wearing any color other than black. I instantly grabbed a red collar mini-dress topped it with a white beret, and pinned my hair in a low ponytail. "Hey, Jennie! Can you come out now your mother's here." I heard Jisoo's nervous voice outside, I briskly walked out of the room and forced a smile out in greeting. "Hey - I mean, hello mother." 

Seems like her face's still the same. Her flawless sophistication and grace still aggravates through the atmosphere. She was in a sharp shoulder maroon dress with a big pearl jewelry hanging by her neck, "I'm glad to know that you're fine." Her voice was still stern just like before. I nodded, "Jisu - I mean - Jisoo took care of me well."

"Of course, she should take care of you well. Now, the doctor will give you more examinations, he will be arriving at noon. I made a reservation on a fine dining restaurant across the street if ever you want lunch. Jen, I don't want to hear you going into a inexpensive and cheap steak house next time. What if the press hears about this? Have you forgetten about the etiquette of an elite?" She taunted and sharped her eyes on me. 

She then retorted her gaze on Jisoo. "Especially you Jisoo. Your parents will be disappointed if they hear about this. So I've decided to keep it between the three of us, no more next time. " Her finger pointed on the both of us and on cue, we nodded simultaneously with heads a bit lower and more humble than before. She still expresses her power with stealth. She has always been impressive. I thought. She then expressed her goodbye and left the two of us in silent. "Congrats, you've met your mother." She said with sarcasm, "I don't know if I'll be glad or be terrified about it." I reacted. 

"We all have our confused moments." She said back, "Oh I forgot to tell you." Jisoo gained my attention back. "Tell me what?"I asked in response. "That you have a girlfriend." Her sly smile appeared but I can only wonder who she was talking about, "Do I?"

...

LISA.

The bustful engine of my newly purchased BMW R50 motorcycle roared around the tamed streets of Greenwich Village, making me more adrenalized. Actually, I was on a rush. It was nine in the evening, the time where I get to spend with my most favorite person in the world. I just got out from a photo gig near Central Park, and it was a prenuptial shoot for a rich business tycoon who'll be marrying a blonde model. A typical love affair with the mistress as the winner, I bet she dumped her old wife for a new doll to play with. Ugh, boys.  

So much for that, I've just arrived in my girlfriend's apartment. It was quiet as usual but her lamp was still on, and the white curtains from the balcony was open. She's waiting? Maybe, she missed me too much. I can't help but smirk with the thought. I grabbed my strap bag, inside was the surprise that i was going to give her. I'm sure she will love it.

So slowly, I pulled out a rope and tied it to the nearest solid pole, and positioned myself near the brick wall for support. I climbed my way up to the balcony. As I reached the steeled bars, I can already see Jen from afar, she was sitting on her mattress dressed in a white night gown with one lamp on. She was not moving, which means she was thinking deeply. I was still so ecstatic to see her and talk again, after one week of deprivation. "Jen!" I spoke in a loud whisper. She tilted her head on my direction, but I think she hasn't seen me still.

"Who's there?!" Her unusual panic voice resonated through the quiet room. The place was practically dark and I can't technically see her neither can she, but she would always know that it'll be, so why is she acting so strange?

Regardless of all my worried thoughts, I managed to slid into her room and closed the curtains from the balcony. She was not in her bed anymore and the lamp was switched off. Now, we're playing hide and seek. "Hey, Jen. Where are you?" I spanned my arms trying to familiarize the surroundings. She was still not responding. So I scavenged everywhere, trying to find the switch for the lights. "Jen? Can you talk now? It's really dark in here, I can't find the lights." I uttered in hope for her response, but it was nothing but pure silence. I decided to rush and crash myself into a wall and hunt for the switch. 

After a few seconds of blind finding, I felt a light switch on the edges of my left hand. I smiled in victory. But as I pulled the switch up, a pair of strong hands gripped the bones on my shoulders, "YAH!!!" The scream shocked me and made me loose my balance. "HEY! WHAT ARE YOU-" I volumed my voice in confusion as I tumble down, I held onto the person's waist, making both of us fall to the ground. Timingly, the lights were on and I get to see the face of the person who jumped on me. It was Jennie. Her porcelain skin, her cat like eyes, her scrunchy nose, and her luscious lips were too close to mine that I thought I was in danger. Maybe falling to the ground with her wasn't bad at all. I thought. The back pain from the crash suddenly faded away when I get to meet her eye to eye.

I felt her body stiffen, and her eyes were bulging out swiveling from left to right, like she can't believe what she was seeing. I still can't help but smile at our situation right now. "Hey, what'd you do that for?" I asked smittenly as I tucked a piece of her hair from below. "L-lisa?" Her stuttering voice from above just made her look more cute, her face was still pale and surprised. "Miss me, baby?" I teased with a smirk edging on my lips.

Then she keeps on surprising me, because she started crying out of nowhere. I started to feel worry. "Wait. Why are you tearing up?" I caressed her face, catching the tear that was dripping down. "Lisa..." She lowly muttered. Then she put her arms down and fully crashed herself into me. I embraced her. We were hugging on the floor. "I thought I've lost you..." She uttered in between her sobs. "I'm sorry." She added. My heart ached a little to see her sad, but I think it's best not to question her for now. So I tightened my hug, "Baby, I'm here. I will never leave." I whispered in certainty as I kissed the side of her face. 

...

a/n: please leave comments, suggestions, interpretations! love yall x

Продовжити читання

Вам також сподобається

56.2K 2.2K 39
'Words are not important to love someone' ____________________________________________________ Kim Y/N, daughter of the most successful business man...
212K 8.3K 27
Jennie describes herself as a self-reliant being, she does everything by herself and for herself. Ever since she gained conscious of the cruelty of t...
701K 19.2K 31
after accepting her boyfriend's proposal to marry him, there are a lot of plans in jennie's mind : building a new home, meeting a new family, startin...
217K 6.9K 26
Rosé knows how she feels about Lisa, she knows her feelings far exceed those of just a friendship. But does Lisa feel the same or does she see her ju...