The Eventers Club

By Dressage_Queen

Evelyn Holloway's life seemed perfect. Being the daughter of a wealthy business tycoon and a professional mod... More

Chapter 1:
Chapter 2:
Chapter 3:
Chapter 4:
Chapter 5:
Chapter 6:
Chapter 7:
Chapter 8:
Chapter 9:
Chapter 10:
Chapter 11:
Chapter 12:
Chapter 13:
Chapter 14
Chapter 15:
Chapter 16:
Chapter 17:
Chapter 18:
Chapter 19:
Chapter 20:
Chapter 21:
Chapter 22:
Chapter 23:
Chapter 24:
Chapter 25:
Chapter 26:
Chapter 27:
Chapter 28:
Chapter 29:
Chapter 30:
Chapter 31:
Chapter 32:
Chapter 33:
Chapter 34:
Chapter 36:
Chapter 37:
Chapter 38:
Chapter 39:
Chapter 40:
Chapter 41:
Chapter 42:
Chapter 43:
Chapter 44:
The Eventer's Club 2: Junior Year

Chapter 35:

595 28 1
By Dressage_Queen

Evelyn's POV:

" That was Franklin Granelet on Harvey with a score of 80.40% putting him in 1st place "

I took a shaky breath as I struggled not to tense up on the reins.

Hugo snorted as he lowered his head, sniffing the grass below us. He didn't try to eat, I had a feeling he knew just as important this moment was as I did. Either that or he was too nervous to eat...like I felt.

Blair had been one of the first to go and was now sitting solidly in third place, while the guy who just went had almost a ten point lead over the second place rider. EFA had their riders all over the scoreboard, but none of them were placed lower than 10th.

I took a shaky breath as I made a final check of my stirrups and girth. Everything checked out from the last time I had checked it...about 5 minutes ago. I wanted to make sure nothing could go wrong with tack so that all of my focus in the ring was in my riding.

" Next up we have Evelyn Holloway on King of Holloway "

No more time to think.

It was time for action.

Before we entered the arena, I took a breath and leaned down over Hugo's muscular neck.

" Let's be there for each other this time boy... " I whispered. " Just focus on me and I'll focus on you... "

Hugo sighed as if he was relaxing as well. It made me smile.

I made sure my cues were invisible as Hugo entered the arena in a working trot. He was nice on the bit and felt relaxed, more than he has ever been during dressage.

We tracked left at a working trot and made a nice 15-meter circle to the left and then to the right after crossing X. I felt Hugo's body bend nicely around my leg and I felt a surge of pride at how well he was moving.

Guess dressage wasn' as useless and boring as I thought...

We turned down centreline at A and leg yielded over to the left. Hugo struggled greatly with movements like leg yielding, sometimes almost tripping over his own hooves, but he seemed to do well this time around.

We crossed the arena to change directions and I half halted to show the medium strides that the test called for during this segment. Hugo flicked an ear back to me and showed me that he was listening to doing exactly what I had told him.

After another leg yield to the right, it was time to pick up the canter. I took a breath, knowing that if I got nervous and tense, my cues to Hugo would be too heavy and he would take off.

Slowly I moved my inside leg back against his sides and sat deeper in the saddle while giving him a bit more rein to move. Hugo responded with a nice, smooth transition that was probably one of our best yet.

Hugo didn't bend as fluently during our 20-meter canter circle, but he kept a smooth rocking motion that made me feel like I was sitting on a cloud.

Now it was time for the most difficult moves in the test. One loop 5 meters from the side of the arena where we changed directions but kept a right lead canter. It was meant to show the balance of the horse, something Hugo always struggled with. It was the main reason we almost always picked up the correct lead when riding because Hugo would be too unbalanced otherwise.

" We've got this boy... " I whispered as I patted his neck quickly.

Hugo snorted as we cantered our loop. I could feel him lean against my leg more and I got scared for a moment that he would switch leads even though I didn't tell him to.

" Easy boy, you're okay... " I whispered as I kept my body firm, but not tense.

It was a struggle and probably didn't look as pretty as the rest of our test, but we had done it!

I slowed Hugo back down to a trot and changed leads across the arena. I couldn't keep the smile off my face. He was going to get so many carrots tonight!

Once we reached C I slowed him to a medium walk until we reached H, where I let the reins slide through my fingers so Hugo could have his head and move into a free walk. Hugo's free walk was his highlight in all of our tests, always earning 9s and 10s and when I looked back at old footage of it, I was always amazed by it. He put his head down low, almost touching the ground with his nose, but his walk maintained purpose and didn't get lazy like many other horses, who struggled with both their head and their impulsion during a free walk.

I gathered the reins before we reached B, where we moved back into a medium walk easily until we reached F.

I felt tears welling up in my eyes as we trotted at F over to A and down the centerline, halting and saluting the judges.

Cheers erupted from the crowd that had doubled since Hugo and I had entered the arena and I leaned down to kiss his sweaty neck.

" You did it, boy! " I giggled. " We did it! "

Hugo bobbed his head as he shook out his mane, walking calmly out of the arena as if this accomplishment had been no big deal. Such a modest boy...

" And that was a beautiful ride for Evelyn Holloway and her gelding King of Holloway! "

I dismounted and watched the judges eagerly. I was hoping for third place at the least...

" O.M.G! You are amazing! " Blair squealed as she pulled me into a hug. " That was the best dressage ever! "

I giggled. " Probably not the best, ever, but it was definitely me and Hugos best dressage to date "

" Hey! " Blair pulled away from me. " Evelyn Holloway doesn't have to be so modest all the time! Brag a little bit! "

I rolled my eyes teasingly. " What? Like say how I totally kicked everyone's butts and I'm the best rider here? " I teased. " We're barely through half of the riders competing. I'll brag when Hugo and I have won the whole event "

Blair giggled. " Fair enough! "

" Hey! "

I turned to see Jake walking over with Luna, who he had decided to ride in the final show instead of Titan. I was happy to see him on the mare again, but I knew that Titan was a great match for him and another nice horse for him to have.

Blair shot me a playful smirk. " Well...I better go see how Ash and Beauty are managing... " she replied not-so-casually as she backed away from us.

Jake and I laughed when she was gone.

" Congrats on your ride, that test was almost perfect "

I giggled. " Almost? "

He smirked. " Well, if you want my critique... "

I playfully punched his arm. " Don't you dare! Let me have my moment! "

He pretended to wince as he rubbed his arm. " Okay okay! " he laughed.

" Ladies and gentlemen, the score for Evelyn Holloway and King of Holloway are... "

Third place at the least.

" ...85.95%! They are currently in first place with a 5 point lead over Franklin and Harvey! "

I nearly screamed.

Jake's eyes widened. " Whoa! That's awesome! " he smirked. " But I think Luna and I can beat it... "

I stuck my tongue out at him. " Good luck! "

He suddenly pulled me into a hug!

I hesitated before hugging him back, feeling my face heat up and probably turn apple red.

We pulled away and awkwardly stayed quiet for a few minutes.

" Well... " He cleared his throat. " I better get her warmed up...we only have three riders before our test "

I held Luna as he mounted and the beautiful white mare and Hugo bumped noses. Hugo arched his neck and blew out a breath, while Luna seemed to bat her eyes at him and turn away mysteriously.

How were our horses better at flirting than Jake and I?

" Congrats again Eve " Jake spoke up.

I smiled and nodded. " Thanks, and good luck out there "

He returned the smile before he let Luna walk toward the warmup arena.

I turned after he was gone and immediately hugged Hugo. " We did it, boy! "

I wanted to celebrate, but I knew I couldn't get too comfortable, there were still a lot more riders to come, including Jake and Luna and Ash and Beauty.

However, if this summer has taught me anything, it was to live in the moment.

And I intended to live in this moment of being in first at Spruce Meadows during my first year competing Preliminary with my perfect horse for as long as I could.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7K 50 16
"Life isnt passing me by. It's trying to run me over." Everything crumbled around Ashleigh, horses were her life, the few friends she had, meant the...
94.8K 4.3K 30
~Book One of the Silverstone Series~ Silverstone Horse Riding Academy. It's the dream of every young rider. Over three quarters of the students...
5.9K 152 44
Ashlyn was an up-and-coming showjumper before a tragic accident turns her whole world upside down. So now dealing with losing someone she was closet...
508 38 21
Teagan Howard goes to an all girls boarding school, Whitfield High School for Girls. That's not the best part though. The best part is that they have...