Hero (Loki & Avengers)

By gillettenarry

Cassidy Martin didn't ask for any of this, and she doesn't want it. Her powers came to her by an accident, a... More

One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Seventeen
Eighteen
Nineteen
Twenty
Twenty-One
Twenty-Two
Twenty-Four
Twenty-Five
Twenty-Six
Twenty-Seven
Twenty-Eight
Twenty-Nine
Thirty
Thirty-One
Thirty-Two
Thirty-Three
Thirty-Four
Thirty-Five
Thirty-Six
Thirty-Seven
Thirty-Eight
Thirty-Nine
Forty

Twenty-Three

8.6K 336 250
By gillettenarry

"Shit." Tony says.

Him and I are currently down in his lab fixing my suit from the other day's battle that ravaged it apart.

"What's wrong?" I ask, hoping the suit isn't beyond repair.

"We have company." He says, and then flips a monitor to face me. A dozen armored trucks have pulled up outside the compound, and men in black armor with guns pour out of them.

A black SUV pulls up to the front gate, and a tall man with gray hair steps out of the vehicle and approaches the gates.

"Tony, let me in the easy way, please." The man says into the intercom.

"Uh, yeah, just a second." Tony says, before bolting up the stairs to where everyone else is lounging in the living room.

"Everyone, on their feet. Secretary Ross is at our doorstep and he doesn't look happy." Tony shouts, and everyone gathers around him in the entryway. "Thank God the Guardians are off fixing their ship, because that racoon would get us into so much more trouble than I probably will."

"Do we hide them too?" Bruce asks, gesturing to Steve and Nat and whoever else is technically a fugitive.

"No. We're done hiding." Cap says.

"Come on in." Tony says into his watch, presumably which connects to the intercom outside, and the gates swing open.

Secretary Ross walks forward followed by twenty or so armed guards.

Thor pulls me behind him, and Loki steps shoulder to shoulder with Thor so that I can barely be seen by someone coming in the front door.

"Don't get involved." Thor whispers to me. I nod. Loki reaches behind his brother to grab my hand and squeeze it for a moment.

"What a fun surprise, Ross. Maybe a little more warning next time though. I could've been indecent." Tony jokes as Ross walks through the door.

"You should've been expecting us after all the attention your little fight got the other day. You made too much noise, Tony." He says.

He walks confidently into the room and his men follow. They make a perimeter around the large open room, essentially pinning us all inside.

"Now, I'll give you a chance to explain to me why the United Nations was not informed that the Avengers are back in operation, and why you did not get permission before engaging in acts of war on the soil of the United States of America." He says, directing his question to Tony.

"Well, technically I bought the airport moments before an alien spaceship landed on it, so really it was my property." Tony begins and Ross rolls his eyes.

"Tony, I'm not in the mood for technicalities. You signed the Sokovia Accords. You work for the United Nations now." He snaps.

Tony stays quiet. I suspect he doesn't want to get himself into more trouble.

"Now, I need everyone in this room who did not sign the Sokovia Accords and is therefore a fugitive of the law to turn themselves in. This includes but is not limited to Steve Rogers, Samuel Wilson, Clint Barton, and Wanda Maximoff. You will be arrested under the sovereignty of the United Nations and dealt with accordingly." Ross states.

Nobody moves.

"For those of you who signed the accords but did not follow them, you will be punished as well and you are lucky that I am willing to consider allowing you to remain outside of prison and in operation. Maybe." He adds.

From what Nat told me about the huge fight over the Accords, her, Tony, Vision, and Rhodey are the ones who signed.

"And finally, to Thor and Dr. Banner, welcome back to Earth. We will brief you on the Accords since you were absent from the discussions, and hopefully you will sign them. If not I will politely have to ask you to leave my planet." Ross adds.

"It is not your planet. This planet belongs to nobody." Thor says in response.

"Well, tell that to your brother who tried to take over the planet. Who I haven't forgotten about, by the way. Loki, you made a big mistake by coming back here and I hope you know we've brought enough fire power with us to make sure you don't slip away again." Ross turns to Loki and I tense up.

"Gee Ross, I thought this was going to be a fun visit. I'm going to have to ask you to leave." Tony says. He moves to grab Ross's arm, and all of the guns in the room lock on Tony.

He backs up slowly and puts his hands up.

"I'll leave with the criminals when I'm ready. But not before I meet your newest friend. Ms. Martin, please step out from behind the Asgardians." Ross calls me out, and my throat tightens in fear.

I can't just hide here like an idiot, he clearly knows who I am.

I slowly walk around Thor and Loki, who I could sense tension from the moment there was a  mention of my name.

"Uh, hi." I wave shyly. This is the Secretary of State, after all. And he knows my name. It's not exactly a comfortable position to be in.

"Ross, drop it. She's just a kid." Tony immediately steps beside me, and I can tell he's furious.

"She's an enhanced individual, Tony. I need to know whether she's a friend, or a weapon." He says.

My cheeks flame up, and I can tell my hands are shaking.

"You should have reported her in the first place, be thankful I'm not going to arrest you for that." He says.

"How do you even know about her?" Tony asks, because I can tell the curiosity and fury are killing him.

"A friend of mine, William Connors, told me all about her. I had his lab working on a special project involving an alien substance, which now coincidentally she is in possession of. I know what runs through those veins, Ms. Martin. And I know what you can do. And I also know that substance and your powers don't belong to you." He tells me.

"Mr. Connors was trying to steal the vile for himself so he could sell it! He meant to make weapons out of it. He could've destroyed the world, I tried to save it." I spill the information I overheard at the lab while escaping.

I don't care, I have no more loyalty to the Connors family.

"Be careful what you say. That's an awfully big accusation to make." Ross warns me.

"Aren't you accusing me of doing the same thing?" I challenge him, and he chuckles with a smile.

"We'll just have to see about that." He says, and then he walks over to one of his men and grabs a heavy document from him. He walks over to me and hands me the papers. "The Sokovia Accords. Signing them means you are pledging your loyalty and your powers to the United Nations, who will call upon you only if and when they see fit. Power, if unchecked, is too dangerous. Too big a risk. So, Ms. Martin, let me ask you this. Are you going to be a friend...or a problem?"

"I-" Before I can respond, Tony interrupts me. I'm thankful, because that was way too much information to process.

"No, I don't want her to even have the option to sign the accords. I want her off of government radars. Don't involve her in this Ross. Please." Tony asks.

"I don't owe you any favors, Tony. She signs, or she forfeits her right to wield those powers. Whether that means she will be trusted to lay low on her own, or if it will be in a prison cell is to be determined." Ross says, and I can see Tony's fists tighten.

"Ross, what is this? Is this what the United States government is doing nowadays? Going after kids?" Cap adds, defending me.

I look over at him gratefully, because for even a few seconds people were staring at him and not at me. Cap is...difficult for me to deal with some times, but he's family. I love him like I'd love an annoying and overprotective brother.

I then remember the decision I have to make on the spot, in front of everyone, with no advice and no third option. Oh god, I feel like I might throw up.

"I'm doing my job protecting the people of this fine nation. I'm sorry if it doesn't align with your personal agenda, Rogers." Ross says.

What Ross just said really makes me think. He wants me to pledge my loyalty to the governments of the world to protect people, but I don't want to sign because I think I can protect even more people if I'm not under a contract.

We both are after the same thing.

"But it does. What both of you want is exactly the same." I blurt out boldly.

"And what is that?" Ross challenges me.

"Peace. Protection. To do the right thing." I say.

"Does this mean you'll sign?" Ross asks, handing me a pen. I take it in my hands.

I strongly consider signing and ending this debate. I mean, it's the United Nations for crying out loud. They should know what's right, right?

But then I think about Connors again. He worked for the government too, and look how corrupt he was. Corruption and greed and personal agendas exist everywhere. But I know they don't exist in my head.

I need my free will. I don't need men like Ross telling me who to kill and when to do it.

I was trapped in a cage once before. I'm not sure I want to be caged again.

I look at Tony, and at Cap, and then I take a deep breath. I hand Secretary Ross his document back, while saying, "I'm sorry. I can't do that. I'm done being a prisoner."

Ross sighs, growing annoyed, and tosses the Accords to the side where they land on a table with a thud.

"Alright then, guess we're doing this the hard way. Fellas, grab her." Just as he says this, two of his armed guards walk over to me and roughly grab me under my arms.

"Hey!" I shout, struggling against them. I don't fight back as hard as I could, because these are U.S. government officials after all, but I do struggle. Just not enough to hurt either of them.

"Ms. Martin, you are now under arrest and in the custody of the United States of America. Come quietly and no harm will be done to you." Ross says above the chaos.

The men place shackles on my hands behind my back, cuffing my arms in an extremely uncomfortable position.

"Ross what the hell! Are you insane? You take your hands off of her before I do it for you." Tony screams above the noise, pressing his watch so his Iron Man glove appears fully charged.

The men secure their grip on me, and for the most part I stop struggling. I just watch the scene in front of me unfold as Tony and Ross scream at one another while everyone else protests in the background.

"You signed this, Stark! Don't forget that." Ross says, shoving the Accords into Tony's chest.

Tony grabs the document with his Iron Man glove and lights it on fire, burning the Accords to dust.

"You've gone too far this time. The accords are done. Now get off of my property before about a hundred of my suits carry you off." Tony threatens, stepping closer to Ross.

The men release their grip on me to run in between Tony and Ross, stopping Tony before he does anything stupid.

"She is now the property of the United States, and she's coming with me even if I have to drag her out of here!" Ross shouts. He storms over to me and grabs me by the upper arm, pulling me towards the door.

I let out a screech of pain as he yanks my arm forwards even though they're handcuffed behind me, and before I can even blink Ross is on the floor after Loki tossed him to the ground.

A guard shoots at Loki, releasing an electric disk that attaches to Loki's skin and electrocutes him. He falls to the floor as his entire body convulses.

Another guard shoots at Cap, who dodges the hit and punches the guard in the face. Tony blasts another one, who nearly shoots Loki again when his gun clatters to the floor.

"Enough!" I finally scream, throwing my hands out to break off the metal cuffs with my powers, sending them flying across the room.

I let out a blast of magnetism that sends every gun and metal object in the room straight to the ceiling where they remain stuck. The guards look around for their weapons that were ripped from their grasps in shock.

I rush over to Loki and rip the electric disk off of him, as I can't be electrocuted. He catches his breath and I help him to his feet. Ross watches me intently in stunned silence.

"You asked me to sign the Sokovia Accords, sir. I was not in Sokovia. I don't understand the context or the stakes. It's not my document to sign. Frankly, the time of the Sokovia Accords is over. We have bigger problems to face than one another. So all of you need to stop acting like children. Thanos is coming, sir. If you don't know of him, you will soon. He means to destroy us, to wipe out half of the earth. Nobody in this room has that intention. Don't fight your allies, Secretary Ross. Help us." I plead, giving him my speech to try and be a rational voice in this chaos.

"Allies, huh?" He says, folding his arms over his chest. He's a lot less brash without his guns.

"It doesn't matter what a piece of paper says, sir. The Avengers stand with you. With life." I tell him, and he actually seems to consider it. Maybe because he knows he can't win here, that we will overpower him. Or maybe because I'm telling the truth, and he knows that.

"She's right, Ross. I know you've heard whispers about Thanos. I already told Director Fury everything we know." Tony begins.

Ross remains silent.

"C'mon Ross. Can we please just delay the paperwork until after we save the universe again?" Tony adds and Ross sighs, rubbing his forehead.

He smiles and shakes his head, "You taught her well Tony."

"Actually she taught me well. The kid's a natural born leader." He says, looking over at me. I smile.

"Alright then. You've all been pardoned...for now. Don't disappoint me again, Tony. I expect updates about this Thanos situation. Daily." Ross says.

"Weekly updates, you've got it." Tony smiles, shaking Ross's hand. He glares at Tony, but seems too exhausted to argue.

Ross holds up his hand and signals for his men to file out of the room. They leave without their weapons, because I'm not letting them down from the ceiling yet. I'm not a fool.

Then they're gone, and Tony closes the gate behind him and seals it shut, putting up a force field wall around the entire compound just to be safe.

"Well, shit." Clint says, summarizing all of our thoughts.

"Ross is an asshole, but he's not what's pissing me off the most right now." Tony says, and then he turns to me.

"This Connors guy is going to be a problem, Cassidy. First he tries to kill you, twice, and now he's blabbing about you to the highest bidding government. I know you said you didn't want me to do anything, but he needs to be dealt with." Tony says in front of everyone.

They all murmur agreements.

"Guys, I...it's not that easy. They were like family to me. I know they hurt me, but I don't want to hurt them." I say.

"Them?" Cap asks perceptively, and I mentally curse myself. I said 'they' hurt me, as in more than one person. I was planning on keeping what Dylan did a secret.

I remain silent.

"Cassidy, who else hurt you?" Tony asks, his jaw set.

"It's nothing." I sigh.

"I beg to differ." He answers, unyielding.

"His son, my best friend. Dylan. He tried to shoot me through the skull. Didn't work." I reveal, and it hurts me to even say it.

"Oh yeah, we're paying them a visit." Tony says.

"We can go talk to them. That's it. And not all of us. I don't need the entire Avengers squad pulling up to his house or office." I give in finally, because even I agree Mr. Connors needs to be spoken to. Scared straight.

He can't keep spilling all of my secrets, it's dangerous for me and my mother.

"Fine. Me, you, and Cap." He settles on.

"I'm coming too. Non negotiable." Loki adds, stepping beside me.

"Whatever, Reindeer Games." Tony says, and Loki smiles.

Everyone begins to disperse, and Loki and I walk back towards our rooms. He pauses in front of mine.

"You can come in for a little, it's fine." I tell him, noticing him awkwardly waiting in the door frame. He steps into the room and walks over to me.

"You were brilliant out there. You saved the Avengers." He tells me and I laugh.

"I wouldn't go that far." I reply.

"I mean it." Loki says in a more serious tone, "You are an extraordinary person."

I pause for a beat and stare at him for a moment, a small smile spreading on my lips, "Thank you."

"I should be the one thanking you." He replies, taking my hand and kissing the top of it.

"For what?" I ask, flustered from the gentlemanly move. Loki is so old-timey romantic sometimes that it melts my heart. It's like he's from a different era. More accurately, a different planet.

"For defending me at every chance you get. For teaching me how to be the best person I can, and for making me actually want to be that. For being you. And for seeing me. For really, truly seeing me." He says, and I smile so brightly I think I might cry.

His words are always so beautiful, but those ones really meant a lot to me.

"Would you walk with me outside? The stars look lovely." He tells me and I nod. He kisses my hand again, and says, "I'll meet you outside in five minutes."

I quickly fix up my hair and throw on a sweater because it's chilly outside, then I walk outside into the night.

I see Loki standing further into the backyard so I walk over to him. He smiles when he sees me, and takes my hand to twirl me around like we're dancing.

I laugh and smile up at him, "What has you in such a good mood?"

"You do." He tells me, leaning down to place a soft and sweet kiss on my lips.

He extends his arm for me to take, which I do, and we begin walking through the garden area of the compound's expansive backyard.

We pass a patch of daisies and I begin telling him about how I used to braid flowers into my friends' hair in elementary school when they were feeling sad, until one time my friend Rebecca had an allergic reaction to the flowers and I got in trouble with the principal.

"I got so scared I didn't go to school for a week, but Rebecca told me it was the prettiest she ever felt until her face swelled up." I finish my horribly mundane story and realize Loki has been staring at me with a silly grin this entire time.

I begin to laugh, embarrassed at myself.

"I'm sorry, sometimes I ramble. That was probably the world's most boring story." I say, but he continues to beam at me with an unforgettable twinkle in his eye.

"You are just...the brightest soul I have ever encountered." He tells me.

I stop walking to look up at him, and he takes my hands in his.

"I am absolutely fascinated by you, and infatuated with you. I didn't know a man like me could feel this way about anyone, and I didn't expect it to be you even if I could. But I am so grateful to you for everything you do and everything you are. You make me feel like I'm not broken anymore, and I haven't felt that way in so long. You make me whole." Loki begins, and I smile like a schoolgirl, "I am my truest self when I'm with you. You are scored on my heart irreversibly. And trust me I know I'm awful at this sort of thing because I've never done it before. I know it will be hard, and there are a million ways this could go wrong, but I don't care. I'm not afraid. I just want to be with you."

I'm speechless. There are no words to describe how much what he said means to me. I love him so much it hurts. He grabs my hand again and leads me over to a grassy opening in the garden, while I still wear my stupid grin.

"Basically what I'm trying to say is...well..." He says as we walk, and then suddenly he's gone. He disappeared from beside me, and I look around but can't see him anywhere.

Then out of nowhere, an entire circle of Loki's form around me. His multiple forms circle me, and in unison they all say what I've been dying to hear for awhile now.

"I love you." Loki says.

My heart leaps in joy. I smile and look around at all the Loki's trying to figure out which one is really him. I see that one of them carries a red rose, so I walk over to him and go to hug him.

I fall straight through him, a hologram, and then the other pretend Loki's disappear as well, leaving only the real one behind me.

I laugh and run over to him, throwing my arms around him and kissing him like it's for the first time. After I put all the passion I can possibly muster into that kiss, I pull away for a moment.

"I love you so much, Loki. Thank you for saying that, I know it's difficult for you." I tell him, and he brushes a hand against my cheek.

He smiles, "Actually, it was the easiest thing in the world."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

15.5K 506 25
It's an Avengers x female reader story. (this takes place in the first Avengers) Left behind by her birth parents and in the care of an elderly man...
861 62 10
After a long seven years of being apart from her sister, Y/n Romanoff manages to just barley escape HYDRA while on a mission. She goes to the Avenger...
215K 8.5K 11
(Book 1) A new villain is threatening the Avengers. During a fight that the Avengers are bound to lose, something happens. Loki. He saves them, bu...
9.6K 273 34
Y/N was a 22 year old woman who just moved to New York City, and trying to live a normal life as a nurse in a hospital, despite being born with stran...