The Gang Leader

By ieatplants

Ophelia Vanderwood has the perfect life in New York City, her fashion company is flourishing, she is dating a... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten

Chapter Eleven

25 0 0
By ieatplants

Jasper took Adeline to the house under Ophelia's strict orders which she fought Lance until he caved in. Lance was about to tell Ophelia that they needed to go until she wandered into her own room. It was strange for her to be back, she was here a month ago. She was normal a month ago, one night at a stupid club and she doesn't know who she even is anymore. Lance watched her from the doorway as she grabbed a purse and shoved a few of her starter scrapbooks with her designs when she was younger. She grabbed a few more sentimental things before Lance heard sirens in the distance. "Come on Ophelia," Lance said and she looked at him and sighed. She looked tired and exhausted, like she lost a lot of her light and that devastated Lance. "We're going out." Ophelia looked at the apartment one last time before nodding and started to the front door but that was too risky. Lance grabbed her arm and climbed down the fire escape out the window. There was less risk of getting caught and questioned by the cops.

"Won't they find me eventually? It's inevitable Lance," Ophelia sighed as Lance was on the ground and motioning her to follow him.

"No it's not. I have someone on it." Ophelia shook her head as Lance stared at her questionably. "What do you mean?"

"There's security videos of me in the apartment complex, me going to that room, the fucking apartment is in my name." Ophelia explained and Lance rolled his eyes at her.

"Maddox is on it. The videos are wiped out and it's under some random guys name. Please hurry Ophelia." Lance looked out to see the blinking lights down the street and Ophelia quickly climbed down and grabbed the handle of the car door but Lance shook his head. "It's too dangerous. It's a stolen car anyways. It'll be fine come on." Lance gripped Ophelia's hand tightly as they walked to the end of the alley and looked around but no cops were out there. They walked down the street hand in hand and when Lance looked back, he saw the cops entering the building. He nudged Ophelia and they looked back, Lance smirking about his smart getaway.

"I don't think I like your New York." Lance stopped and looked at her confused. "It's not the New York I know. It was never dangerous for me until you showed up in my life. It was the best place in the world."

"Show me your New York then." Ophelia smiled and they weaved their way through the crowds, Lance behind her and she would turn around sometimes and shoot him a breathtaking smile. Eventually they slowed down when they reached Central Park. "I've been here before Ophelia." Lance stared skeptically at the girl as she sat under a tree and pulled out the books she grabbed at the apartment.

"But not with me." Ophelia pointed out and grabbed five dollars out of her purse before walking over to a hotdog stand and getting one for each of them.

Ophelia opened her sketchbook and flipped through to find a few of the first sketches she did. "Every Thanksgiving my family would come here, I was obsessed with this vintage look my mom had. It was a blue dress, the color of Tiffany's boxes you know? I fell in love with it. Every time I would play dress up, I would wear that dress. So I did a more modern version of it for my first sketch," Ophelia explained and pointed to the sketch of a blue dress. Lance watched and was mesmerized by Ophelia looking through the book. He was hardly focused on the sketches more as he was focused on her.

Ophelia stopped at another one with a saddened smile. "My mom loved lilac, it was her favorite color. I remember that my parents went to a gala thing every year and she wore this lilac dress with white elegant lace on the skirt." Lance could watch her talk about stuff she was passionate about for hours and hours.

Lance stopped the page on a sketch of the Bronze Dragon necklace and a golden dress sketch next to it. "What's this?" Ophelia's eyes widened as she forgot all about this since it was from 15 years ago.

"My mom would always show us pictures of her best friend when I was young. She carried this certain elegance about her that demanded attention and carried class, even in photos. Every single photo she was wearing this necklace, the Bronze Dragon necklace." Lance grabbed the sketch and studied all the detail.

"What was her name?" Ophelia couldn't remember and simply just shrugged. "This can crack the case of why they want you so bad Ophelia. If I get a better understanding then I can help keep you safe."

"I can't remember Lance." Ophelia sighed and Lance groaned as they are in silence until Lance remembered something that was in the letters to his grandfather.

"Luna Dragon." Ophelia looked confused and Lance remembered, she was barely mentioned and it was towards the end of the letters.

"Is that name supposed to have significance to me babe?" The word slipped out and neither of the two decided to acknowledge it as some teen girls walked by and snapped pictures of the couple.

"She was Violet Dragons daughter. What if that's your mom?" Ophelia automatically shook her head, denying the possibility that some random lady could be her mom.

"It's a mistake Lance." Ophelia took a bite out of her hotdog and got ketchup on the corner of her mouth. Lance moved closer and got the ketchup of the corner with his thumb. Ophelia knew that it was now or never, she needed to get her mind off everything.

Ophelia leaned in and closed her eyes, when her lips were centimeters from his, Lance decided to come clean. "I slept with Vivian." Ophelia quickly pulled away and tucked a loose strand of hair behind her head.

Ophelia flustered and started to stutter when she spoke. "Yeah of course. I have to stop by my office really quickly. I'll catch you at the house." She quickly got up and closed her book. Ophelia tried to fast walk out of the park but Lance was close on her heels.

"It's still not safe Ophelia." Lance reached for her arm but she took a sharp turn, causing him to miss her arm by a few inches. He stumbled over his own feet and ran into a little boy, losing his sight on Ophelia when he looked down. Lance quickly apologized and tried to search for Ophelia who was already getting into a cab to get to her work building as soon as possible. Lance knew that her work was a few blocks away and he could just meet her there, he was hoping and praying she was there and he walked down the street of the crowded city.

Lance didn't know why he said that at that time, nothing Vivian did was even remotely close to enchanting as Ophelia. He didn't sleep with her, he got the texts about Ophelia and Adeline before it could go any further. But the stupidest things rush out of his mouth, before he could explain to Ophelia, she dashed off. Lance quickly grabbed his phone out and called Maddox, impatient as he walked towards Ophelia's office. When Maddox answered, Lance ordered him to track a license plate and send the location to him and he started walking towards her building. Lance quickly stopped by and bought two dozen pink roses from a vender a block away from her building. The building was frantic this Thursday afternoon as Lance went into the elevator with six other people.

Lance smiled at the receptionist who was a knock-off Ophelia but she quickly ran in front of her desk to stop him. "I'm sorry, she's in a meeting right now. I can take a message though, if you'd like," she said as she grabbed a pen and a piece of paper. Lance glanced at her desk and saw her name plate on the desk.

"I just needed to drop these off for her, for helping me and taking the time off to help me," Lance said carefully and coldly. "I know that she isn't in a meeting Penelope." Just then, Ophelia's laughter filled the room. Everyone seemed to stop and listen to her laugh as it drew in closer and Penelope's smile fell off her face, replacing it with a deer in the headlight eyes.

Ophelia rounded the corner, her hand on some guy's arm and her laughter and smile reached her eyes. For a brief moment, Lance saw the life she wanted. Lance saw a life without him and gangs, he saw the regular life that she desperately wanted to cling onto. Lance saw her going out on dates with normal guys that didn't have to watch their back every second. Lance saw her with her picket fence life, and for the first time in forever, Lance felt guilty. 

If he hadn't walked into her life, she could have this life that she wanted. But he was selfish, he just needed her for one night, to flush her out of his system. Ophelia's eyes never left the boy that she was talking to until the flashes of pink roses were in her peripheral vision and then her laughter stopped once she saw Lance. Lance stepped in front of the couple heading towards the elevator. "I'll see you in my office in few minutes Lance," Ophelia said, all playfulness in her voice was gone. The boy next to her put a hand on the small of her back, leading her towards the elevator. 

"It is always a pleasure to see you my dearest Ophelia," the man said with an accent once they reached the elevator. "I hope you think about my proposal, sit on it for a day or two then call me. You know my number."

"Please, you act as if I've forgotten my dearest Giovani. Your number is engrained in my memory love." Ophelia could feel the burning of Lance's glare on them but it didn't bother her. The elevator dinged and the pair kissed on both cheeks.

"Think about my offer amore mio." Ophelia walked back and passed Lance, not even looking in his direction. She turned around when she was at her door and nodded her head at him.

When Lance walked in, Ophelia was sat at her desk with sketches scattered neatly. Neither of them said anything. Ophelia was mad about Vivian and Lance was mad about Giovani. Lance's head was all over the place and before he could even wrap his head around what he was feeling, he said, "I got these for you."

He handed Ophelia the roses and a small smile spread all over her face, all of her anger was slowly disappearing when she smelled the roses. "They are lovely Lance," Ophelia said before calling Penelope to get her two vases.

"I didn't sleep with her." Lance stalked closer to Ophelia and Ophelia let out a sigh. Lance needed her to know the truth, he didn't care if she doesn't believe him, he just needed to get it out. "I need you to know the truth. I didn't sleep with her Ophelia, I got the call about you being in danger before anything could happen."

"Okay." 

"Okay?"

"Okay, I believe you." Something struck Ophelia, she realized that she has no reason to be mad, she likes Lance but he doesn't reciprocate those feelings. Ophelia has dealt with crushes and rejection before, it is nothing new to her. She will just have to get over it. Lance could feel confusion cloud his mind and his heart fell a bit, did he want her to be jealous? Did she not reciprocate these feelings for him? Ophelia began to pile up her sketches and put her coat on. "Come on, it's snowing. Let's head back to your place."

Ophelia grabbed her purse and Penelope came in with two vases. Ophelia helped Penelope and apologized because she only needed one for the office. Saying she wanted one for Lance's place and the other dozen for her office. "Will you be in tomorrow ma'am," Penelope asked and Ophelia nodded her head eagerly.

"Of course, it's the Christmas party tomorrow isn't it?" Penelope nods her eager head and Ophelia smiles. "I'll see you tomorrow Penelope." Ophelia gathered her purse and flowers and followed Lance outside. The second the snow hits Ophelia's face, she lit up and spun around on a crowded New York sidewalk. Lance saw that no one seemed to mind, everyone was staring at her with wonder. There was a Christmas tree right across from her and she looked like an angel. The snow soon melted and her face was covered in water, but she didn't mind.

Her cheeks were rosy and flushed while the rest of her face was pale, but she was still beautiful. Lance hurried over to her and caught her from tripping and busting her face. The smile on Ophelia's face slowly turned to a nervous look as her eyes went to Lance's lips. Lance slowly lifted her up as her eyes never left his lips. Then Lance did the unspeakable.

He cupped her face and kissed her like he was dying and she was the only oxygen source. Igniting a fire between the two of them.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.8K 39 9
Sasha lives a protected, loved life. Of course, it is a life no parent wishes for her child. After running away at 18, she found herself in NYC and h...
354K 11K 32
Alicia Monee is a single, gorgeous assistant, living alone in the big city of New York. By night, she is a wild stripper named Cinnamon. Hakim Willi...
266 117 26
Never thought that she had to move out with a guy especially when she's not used to living with somebody. Maya's parents had to travel throughout the...
438 8 15
When your aspiration in life is to become a drug lord and to follow the steps of your grandfather who happens to be one of the most dangerous drug lo...