The Girl Who Loved | A Tom Ri...

By AugustLikeTheMonth

Tom Marvolo Riddle. The most infamous dark wizard of all time. His legendary rise to power as the Dark Lord w... More

Character Aesthetics
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
AUTHOR'S NOTE
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
AUTHORS NOTE
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
AUTHOR'S NOTE
Chapter 29
AUTHOR'S NOTE
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Epilogue
A Note From Your's Truly (SEQUEL)
Fan Art

Chapter 25

5.3K 219 66
By AugustLikeTheMonth

Thank ya'll so much for reading The Girl Who Loved! Every one of your votes and comments is so important to me. Keep it up! :)

Ellison walked down the west corridor, on her way to Transfiguration class. The last cold snap of April had finally ended, ushering in the warm spring days of May. It had been three weeks since hers' and Tom's trip to Hogsmead, and things had finally begun to feel normal again. She still hadn't been able to wrap her mind around the words Tom had uttered almost a month ago. "I love you." He had said it so concretely... so effortlessly, yet so softly she hadn't known whether or not she had actually heard it. He hadn't said it again since that day, but for once, she hadn't pressed him.

Ellison continued down the corridor stopping when a squat second year with plump rosy cheeks stopped directly in front of her holding out his arm with a piece of parchment folded in his hand.

"Professor Dumbledore asked me to give this to you," He said to the floor, his pink cheeks brightening a shade or two. Ellison took the note from the boy's shaking hand, giving him a warm smile.

"Thank you," She said. The boy nodded, stealing a glance at her face before rushing down the corridor. She chuckled, breaking the seal on the parchment. Unfolding the note, she quickly scanned the paper.

Ms. Pennifold,

                Please stop by my office before your Transfiguration lesson. There is something I would like to discuss with you.

-          Professor Albus Dumbledore

She folded the parchment, placing it in the pocket of her robes. What did Dumbledore want to speak with her about? It had been nearly a month since their last conversation. Surely he wouldn't be calling her to his office to speak with her about Tom again. But what else could it be. She hadn't missed an assignment in his class, or done anything to warrant punishment by her head of house. She sighed, turning on her heal as she made her way down the spiral staircase to the floor that Dumbledore's office was located. Reaching his office door she lifted a hand to knock stopping short when she heard voices on the other side. Craning her neck she peered through the barely open door. Dumbledore was speaking with the headmaster. Ellison placed her ear against the door, listening intently.

"Albus I understand your concerns ... believe me I do, but I can't very well turn the young man down for a position he hasn't even applied for yet." Professor Dippet spoke.

"Yes headmaster, I know, but when Tom Riddle does apply for the position-" Dumbledore began.

"Then he will be respectfully declined, just as all new graduates desiring to teach here at Hogwarts are. Now in a few years, when he has gained some experience, if he wishes to apply again he can be considered for a position ... though I expect that decision will no longer be under my discretion by that time." Professor Dippet smiled. Dumbledore nodded knowingly. "Albus, we have been colleagues and friends for years ... but I have to ask ... what is the reasoning behind your firm stance on this issue?"

"I would be more than happy to tell you headmaster, though I think it will have to wait for another time. You see ... I believe we have company. "Ms. Pennifold, please, do come in." Ellison's cheeks flushed as she pushed the door open. They had certainly not intended her to hear that conversation, and how much of it Dumbledore knew she had heard, she had no clue. Professor Dippet smiled politely at her, oblivious to the fact she had been eavesdropping moments before.

"Well I wouldn't want to keep you from your other appointment Albus. I'll be on my way." Professor Dumbledore nodded returning the headmaster's polite smile before turning to face Ellison.

"Please, have a seat," Dumbledore spoke, gesturing towards the empty armchair that sat in front of his desk. Ellison sat down, sitting her book bag in her lap. "I trust your week is going well?" Dumbledore asked, seating himself behind the old wooden desk.

"Yes sir," Ellison nodded, shifting uncomfortably in her seat. Had he known she had been standing at the door listening? If he did, he certainly wasn't eluding to it.

"I'm sure your wondering why I've called you here today," Dumbledore spoke, a polite smile on his face.

"Sir, if this is about Tom-" Ellison began but he cut her off.

"It's actually about you." He pressed on at the confused look on her face. "You see, your father and I have been acquainted with on another for quite some time. He asked me to speak with you about your plans for the future." Warmth flooded Ellison's cheeks. So, she had heard the last from her father about the ministry position. He was getting other people to do his dirty work now.

"Sir, all due respect, I think he's wasted your time. I don't have any intent on taking a ministry position after graduation. In fact, I'd like to do the exact opposite." Dumbledore smiled.

"I'm not here to convince you of anything Ms. Pennifold. But if you don't mind me asking, what would you like to do after graduation?" Ellison blinked, the anger that had been rising within her simmered down. She hadn't expected this ... to be asked what she wanted. She had grown so accustomed to defending her decision to not take the job, she hadn't actually stopped to think about what she actually wanted to do.

"Well..." She began, pondering the thought for the first time since Tom had asked her. "I'm not actually sure." Dumbledore smiled at her. "But I know I don't want to work behind a desk at the Ministry for the rest of my life," she added a bit defensively.

"I didn't figure that sort of work would suit you," Dumbledore spoke, the smile on his face widening a bit. "Ms. Pennifold, if there's one thing I've learned about you during your seven years at Hogwarts and my seven years as your teacher, it's that you are passionate about what you do. I never thought for a second that a desk job would satisfy that passion inside of you ... and I don't believe your father believes that either." Dumbledore continued at the perplexed look on her face. "You see ... parents, though they have our best interest at heart, can sometimes be blinded by their own desires."

"So you think my father is wrong?"

"I think your father loves you and is passionate about doing what is best for you, and by doing so, has lost sight of what his daughter is passionate about," Dumbledore spoke matter-of-factly. Ellison nodded. She hadn't thought about it that way. Tom had told her the same thing over a month ago, though she had been too angry to think – or care – about the fact her father thought he was doing what was best for her.

"Tell me Ellison, what is it that you're passionate about?" Ellison thought about it for a moment. What was she passionate about? Did she even know herself?

"I want to make a difference in the world ... To help people," she said finally, deciding this best summed it up.

"I see..." Dumbledore spoke, the smile returning to his face. "Well, in that case, have you ever thought about pursuing a job as a healer?" Ellison contemplated the idea. She hadn't ever considered the possibility, though it made perfect sense. Healers certainly helped people. She could travel or work in a local hospital like Saint Mungo's.

"I haven't sir," she replied after a moment. Why the idea had never crossed her mind, she didn't know. But, she definitely liked the sound of it.

"Well, it's certainly a thought," Dumbledore said, smiling.

"Yes ... it is," Ellison replied vaguely, lost in her thoughts.

"Well, I think we best be getting on, or we'll both be late for class," Dumbledore spoke after a moment, breaking Ellison from the sea of thoughts that had been flooding her mind. She glanced at the clock on the wall. It was nearly five till three. Dumbledore was right. They were both going to be late for Transfiguration if they didn't leave now. She stood up, throwing her book bag over her shoulder. Dumbledore grasped the door, holding it open for her. "After you."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, guys ... I'm literally the worst (x2).

1. For taking over a month to update.

2. For not updating last Thursday like I said I would.

I'm super sorry its taken so long for me to give ya'll another chapter! And I'm also sorry that this one is short and doesn't really have any Tom in it. I know it might be a hard/boring read, but trust me, its pertinent to the story, and I felt like I needed to expand on Ellison's character a little more considering we already know so much about Tom. I promise the story will pick back up ... hang in there all you Tellison fans!

P.S. I HAVE AN ENDING FOR THE STORY AND ITS COMING SOON SO PREPARE YOURSELVES! :D

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

790K 31.2K 42
Being a single dad is difficult. Being a Formula 1 driver is also tricky. Charles Leclerc is living both situations and it's hard, especially since h...
15.2K 518 47
" The dark does not Destroy the light; It defines it. It's our fear of the dark That casts our joy Into the shadows..." B.Brown ~~...
1.5M 49.6K 66
In which the reader from our universe gets added to the UA staff chat For reasons the humor will be the same in both dimensions Dark Humor- Read at...
129K 3.3K 20
Takes place after season two of Young Justice. The last time Nightwing was seen he was working a case in Bludhaven, only to disappear. *WARNING* Thi...