Masked Permanently

By kelseybluewolfe

Marinette Dupain-Cheng has disappeared for good. Chat Noir refuses to give up on finding her, even if Ladybug... More

About Master Fu!!!
After The Fight
Dinner Plans
Disguising the Mask
Third Identity
Fault
Video
Message Delivered
Bug!
Facing Facts
Confessions
Meeting Marinette
Answers..?
Forced Adjustment
Senses
Staying Positive
History's Heroes
She Will Be Found
Secrets Uncovered
Power of Contribution
History Repeats Itself
Researching
Contributing Factors
Facing Absence
Tingles and Pricks
Strong Light
The Rebirth of Lady Luck
Distortion
Blame
Until Eternity's End
The Broken Half
The Last Nail
Like Fire
One Down
A Protector's Service
Be That Consequence
Red Liberation
Coming Home
Forgathering
Effects of the Mask
Captive
Readjustments
Into the Dust
Raisin Bagel
Last Puzzle Piece
Epilogue
Bonus: Unused Art
2020 Illustration Redraws

Chloe's Delivery

14.9K 597 608
By kelseybluewolfe

Reminder 🚨: This story is an AU, meaning there are some differences between this fanfiction and the show.

Marinette sat back on the blue platform beside Felix with a weary sigh. Wasn't it bad enough for Adrien with his mother gone? She didn't need to ruin his life, nor be haunting his dreams.

"It's hard, isn't it? You're struggling to hear someone you love tell you things after they think you've died or something," Felix said sympathetically.

"I just... I can't stand to hear him like that. I've never heard Adrien cry, and it just reminds me of my partner, who was so sensitive to the idea that I'd disappear, and I love them both." She replied. "Chat Noir, I love him like a partner. I'd do anything for him. Adrien, I love him romantically, and it's... why am I talking and comparing them?" Marinette shook her head.

Felix had a knowing smirk, realizing the obvious.

"I just miss everyone so much. How are you still okay, Felix?" Marinette turned to him.

"Being alone for who knows how long was depressing for a while. I assume it was five years. You know, at one point, I counted up to two years, five months, thirteen days, seven hours, and fifty-seven minutes?" Felix joked a little.

"Really?! Is it that boring here?!" Marinette asked, her eyes wide with worry.

"I'm kidding! It's pretty boring, so I did actually count for a while, but I don't think I made it over six hours," he assured her. "It was depressing being alone, but now I have you to chat with."

"Did you come up with that pun before or after you got stuck here?" She grumbled, realizing this was another Chat Noir she'd be dealing with for eternity.

"I actually came up with it in here, but I never thought I'd be able to let anyone else hear it," Felix laughed at her grumpy expression, "I wish I could've told it to my Lady Luck though..."

Marinette's face softened. "Why don't you just tell it to her in that weird dream thing?" She asked.

"I just don't want to remind her of me anymore. If she's moved on, I don't want to suddenly show up in her dream and make her upset," he explained, letting his gaze wander to the distance in front.

"She would do anything to see you again! Trust me," she told him, "Every time she brings you up, she talks about how much she misses you and how it's all her fault that she couldn't save you."

A new blade of pain struck Felix through the heart, and he gasped. "Why would she blame herself?! It's my own dumb fault for not using my energy correctly. If getting stuck here for eternity means she gets to live on Earth for the rest of her life with family and friends, it's worth it."

Marinette knew from that statement that Felix was truly in love with Nathalie. She could feel her heart crumbling to a million pieces for the two, being in love but unable to ever see each other, like her and Adrien. His love was unconditional for Nathalie.

"Isn't there any... any possible way we could work together and find a way out of here? We have to get back to the people we love, and you've already had to wait almost nineteen years. Come on, Felix. There has to be something," Marinette pushed on.

He gave her a half-smile, mostly filled with sadness. "I've tried everything, kiddo. Unless you can find some kind of loophole, it doesn't seem that bright ahead," Felix replied.

"Maybe there is a loophole! Let's try to reconnect with someone who can help us in their dream, and maybe we could formulate a plan. Maybe Master Fu could help us! Do you know him?" She asked, causing Felix to nod.

"I remember that dude. He was cool, but pretty clueless about the development. I figured he should've known more about it, considering he is a guardian, but who knows? Maybe Nathalie offered him more information after I disappeared and gave him my research notes," He gave her the benefit of the doubt.

Marinette cringed a little, remembering how Master Fu wasn't very savvy with her issue. He offered advice, but she never did actually go back to him in the end. "People kinda thought you died in a battle..."

Maybe there wasn't a way, she thought sadly. If Master Fu wasn't even sure of what was happening, with him being a guardian, maybe they would get stuck there forever. Felix was probably right, seeing as he tried, and he was way more knowledgeable than her.

Felix frowned, asking, "Didn't Nathalie tell them about the development? What about Fu?"

"It really wasn't until recently that she confessed to him that you didn't die in a battle. It was really hard for her to talk about it," She answered, looking down.

Of course, it wasn't likely that someone could help them out of this prison-like infinite energy vacuum, but if there was a small possibility, it was best to take it as soon as possible. He'd already lost nineteen years of his life to this place, meaning he'd lost nineteen years with Nathalie, his family, and his friends. No one was getting any younger. If there was a time to act, it was then.

"Does anyone have any good information about the development? Who's the most knowledgeable person on this subject so far?" Felix persisted.

"Besides you, probably Nathalie. My friends, Chloe, Alya, and Chat Noir were pretty involved with the whole issue as well. Adrien was also pretty involved too."

"Well, let's try to think of something, then we could figure out who could help us," Felix offered his positivity.

But if Felix was getting hopeful about this, maybe there really was a shot.

* * *
"I'm just pretty confused, Alya," Nino told her as they both sat down with their bag of cookies.

"About what?" Alya asked him, taking a small bite of the chocolate chip cookie she got from the bakery.

Nino shuffled uncomfortably, knowing this would probably be an controversial question to ask. He tried to think of a strategically kind way to put it."Well... I'm just confused about what's been happening with... you know, our group. I've just been pretty out of the loop, you know? I've seen how you and Adrien kinda just adopted Chloe and Bridgette into the group, which is totally cool and all, but I don't know... Am I still a friend to you guys?"

Nino lowered his head, shoving his hands into his pocket. His hat was low enough to cover his eyes so she wasn't able to take a good look at his hurt.

Alya placed their dessert bag down, looking at Nino. They really did neglect him as a friend, and he probably thought he did something.

"Nino, you're always going to be our friend. You're always going to be my friend," Alya told him, holding one of his shoulders with a hand.

"Why have I been so... excluded, Alya? I've been left out of everything for a while, and it just doesn't feel like we're friends anymore. Even Adrien refuses to answer my texts for some reason, and it just feels like we've been in some fight for a long time." Nino finally admitted.

"Look Nino, it's just been really crazy with our friend going missing. Ever since then, it's just been once weird thing after another, and we've just been so busy. I promise, I'll talk to Adrien. I don't know why he's being a jerk right now, since he won't even answer my texts either," Alya told him. "But listen, I won't exclude you anymore. The whole craziness is over, and I'm pretty sure Marinette is okay. She sent us that video, and like you said, she wouldn't lie to us."

Alya took another big bite of the cookie, giving Nino a smile.

Nino gave her a grateful smile, suddenly glad to have her back again. She was definitely his favorite person. "Thanks, Alya. I appreciate it. I get what you mean about Marinette. She's missing, and-"

They were completely unaware about an angered blonde running up to them.

"Adrien is a freaking liar! I can't even stand to look at him! He lied to my face, and Marinette is freaking dead!!" Chloe yelled, interrupting Nino.

Alya's cookie fell from her hand as she stared at Chloe incredulously. "Marinette? Chloe, what are you talking about?"

Nino's heart dropped, and he looked over at Alya, then at Chloe, who's face was streaked with runny mascara tears. Having accidentally used her civilian name, the blonde looked back at Nino with teary blue eyes, then over at Jean who was working at the bakery during the time.

He dropped his oven mitt, and walked over to Chloe quickly. "Marinette Dupain-Cheng? Is she really dead, Chloe?" Jean worriedly asked, holding her arm gently.

Chloe's face crumpled into a cringe, realizing this was a horrible place to accidentally reveal the truth.

"She's gone... I'm so sorry," Chloe whispered, causing Alya to step back with tears in her eyes.

"Marinette is dead?" Nino yanked his hat off, looking at Chloe fearfully.

"Oh my goodness, this is... so bad. I'm so sorry," Jean pulled Chloe into a hug.

"So wait, Adrien knew all this time that Marinette was dead?!" Alya cried out, tears running from her own eyes.

"Oh my gosh. Oh my gosh... Poor Marinette," Nino gripped his hat tightly in his clenched fists.

"She can't be gone! Adrien probably lied about that too! Maybe he's just playing a really dumb joke! A really really dumb joke! She's not gone! I bet if I just... if I just-" Alya cried, shakily pulling her own phone out of her pocket and pulling up Marinette's contact.

"Alya..." Nino tried to interject, knowing she was in denial. Tears leaked out of his own eyes, but he pushed them away, as he tried to calm Alya down.

"No Nino! I'm going to call her, and she's- she's gonna pick up!" Alya pulled away, angrily sobbing as she smashed her thumb into the option to call her.

As the phone dial continued on, and the ringing continued on, Alya anxiously held the phone up to her ear.

"It's Marinette!" The phone answered cheerfully, causing Alya to cry out.

"Marinette! You aren't-"

"Leave a message! Beep!" Marinette giggled in the voicemail.

"I'm so sorry," Chloe whispered sadly.

"Y-You better call me back, Marinette Dupain-Cheng! You hear?! You... have to!" Alya yelled into the phone, sobbing shortly after. It fell from her hand as her knees nearly buckled.

Nino caught her, pulling her into a chair. She clung onto him, fearful he would too disappear if she didn't hang onto him. He held her, letting the both of them mourn.

"H-How are we going to tell the Dupain-Chengs?" Chloe asked Jean, crying.

"We'll think of something. Don't worry," Jean offered sympathetically.

"Chloe... how did she die?" Alya finally dared to ask, but was fearful of the answer.

Did she get pushed from a great height? Did she accidentally get killed? Was Marinette kidnapped and tortured? Alya's mind couldn't stop running through all the painful possibilities.

Chloe opened her mouth, but couldn't find a way to say it without exposing her identity. Should she expose her identity after promising the heroine, who pleaded her to never say her name in connection to Ladybug's? It was unforgivable to expose her identity, especially after swearing to Ladybug she wouldn't.

"But more importantly, you know my identity now. I need to know, can I trust you?" Ladybug asked Chloe, hoping with every fiber that she could trust her friend.

"Marinette, I- you're Ladybug! You've saved me more times than I can count! Why the heck would I betray you?" Chloe asked, completely oblivious as to why she would ever expose her friend's secret identity.

"I really need you to keep this to yourself. Please don't tell a soul. This could put people in danger, including yourself," the heroine begged Chloe, warning her of the consequences.

"I won't tell anyone!" Chloe promised.

She couldn't lie like Adrien did. It wasn't right to lie about Marinette's death to her loved ones. She had no right to make everyone think that she died differently.

As everyone awaited her answer, they all heard a pile of thuds and screams from the outside.

"It's an akuma attack!" Chloe shouted, pointing outside shakily. At least she could buy some time to think about what she could say.

A/N: So here's a little summary:

• Marinette and Felix are formulating ideas and trying to find a way out.

• Chloe accidentally used Marinette's name rather than Ladybug's when telling Alya that Adrien lied about Ladybug's whereabouts.

• Now Chloe is struggling whether it's best not to tell the truth or betray Ladybug.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.8K 572 16
For two years war has raged between King Gabriel of DuPont and the House of Bourgeois. Prince Adrien is missing in action and Marinette is doing what...
76.3K 4.1K 47
When an akumatized victim begins to attack Marinette with the supervision of Hawkmoth, Chat Noir attempts at being her protector. Due to a distracti...
19K 519 40
"The magazine that Adrien is currently modeling for, has asked that I provide them with a new medium to present Adrien in. They do not want a photosh...
237K 5.7K 30
"What is Marinette doing?" Adrien said. This was the fifth time she rejected his invitation to hangout and she was avoiding him at school. There was...