Welcome to Milton

By cursedreverie

John and Margaret Thornton had a wonderfully happy marriage. Alas, things were not meant to be. Eighteen mont... More

1
2
3
4
5
6
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21

7

220 4 1
By cursedreverie

Three weeks later, John Thornton sat in his home speaking to the other men at his annual Masters Dinner. After having a very long talk with his brother-in-law about his sister, his mood was most foul. Watson, of course, denied ever laying a hand on Fanny. Yet, Thornton believed Alexandria over his own brother-in-law. He was unsure of what to do now. John Thornton was not a man that liked uncertainties in his world.

He hadn't seen Alexandria Copeland since the dinner party. Originally, he hadn't desired to speak to Alex after finding out her virginity was gone. Not because it bothered him but because his jealousy ran deep for the man that deflowered the pretty doctor. Part of it thrilled him. He wouldn't lie to himself. She, most likely, would not be a woman that was frightened by relations. Actually, he was fairly certain that there was little that actually frightened her. Now, she was all he could think of.

She would not be a proper wife for a man of his station, John understood this. God in heaven, he wanted her in his bed desperately. Could he come to terms with what he wanted and what he needed? John wasn't certain he could.

The familiar scowl he sported most of the time had returned to his handsome visage. It deepened further when he thought of the pretty doctor. She was far too independent for a man like him. Women were to make a man's life comfortable. Oh she would in the privacy of their marriage bed, for that he was certain. The rest of the time? She would bring down his status amongst the other masters considerably. Women of their class didn't work, outside of rearing the children. Even that was mostly handled by nurses and nannies.

Yet, the night of the party at the Slickson's, she had looked so very beautiful. There was not another woman that could compare to her in Milton. He was certain of that. It wasn't just her beauty either. She was an intelligent, strong, and witty woman. He was certain she would hold her own with any man. He had no idea how prophetic that thought was about to become.

Watson, Thornton's brother in law, said something. "Hamper old man! So how did you get that bruise on your cheek? It looks as if you have been boxing."

Thornton looked over, there indeed was a large dark bruise along the man's cheek. He hadn't noticed until now, so lost in thought he was.

"One of my hands had an accident, dislocated his shoulder and broke his arm. I had to take him to the lady doctor to get fixed up."

"My god man! He did this to you?" Slickson exclaimed. "Why did you not have him arrested?"

"No, no, no. It wasn't the hand but that lady doctor. She is a pretty thing. I thought about setting her up in some special place."

"Hamper, you are a bloody fool." Thornton scowled. The thought of Hamper touching Alexandria in such an intimate way infuriated him.

"A man has to do what a man has to do!" Hamper laughed. "She turned me down right quick. So when the hand was resting from whatever she gave him, I was a bit friendlier with her. The woman didn't take too kindly to that and let me tell you boys, she packs a mean left hook."

All the men laughed loudly, except for John.

Slickson smacked Hamper on the back with a grin. "I have to admit I tried to get her skirts up myself. At least my bruise was unseen by anyone but myself! She busted me a good one and I couldn't even see my mistress for a week after that!"

Slickson and the rest laughed once more.

"Gentlemen, what if I told you that I had success with the lady?" Watson looked smug.

"Careful Watson, your brother-in-law is seated next to you." Hamper grinned at John, who was seething. "You actually got her to give you a little something?"

"Well, she didn't welcome it in the least but I can say with knowledge that she has an extraordinary pair of tits. If she were to give me a bastard? That child wouldn't get a chance to suckle upon those teats I swear to each of you!"

"Speaking of, I am surprised you didn't invite her to the dinner Thornton. Not all of us are married." One of the other men spoke.

Watson shook his head at the younger mill owner. "That girl is one to bed but not wed gentlemen. She is far too independent to make a good wife but with that sweet little mouth on her she would make an interesting mistress."

It would be another two hours before the party would end. By that time, John Thornton was in a rage that could barely be contained. Apparently, this was not the first time the Masters of Milton had try to compromise Alexandria's good nature. Each one of the men had a story or two, save for Thornton. Watson's words made him so furious that he was unable to speak for long moments and had to excuse himself to calm down.

When the last guest left, Hannah Thornton sought out her son. "Another successful event and another 11 months to not have to worry about it John."

"I am thankful for that."

"Did something happen?"

"It is nothing to concern yourself with Mother." What had happened with the other masters was not a tale for a woman to hear. "I think I need to take a walk."

Hannah Thornton nodded, but said nothing. She was unsure of what had gotten into her son, but his late night walks were not that uncommon since Margaret passed away.

He walked to the small house in Crampton. It was here that John Thornton had been properly introduced to Margaret. It was also here where he first declared his love for her. The house was empty but well kept. He made sure of that. The only thing the house held for him now were ghosts. Not real ones, he did not believe in such nonsense. These were but memories that would haunt him until his end of days.

Turning, he went to head back home. The journey took him elsewhere instead, the small clinic that was operated by Dr. Copeland.

He rapped on the door loudly, hat in hand, and waited. He could hear her running down the stairs. Thornton winced. Alexandria, as he had begun to call her in his mind, probably thought it was an emergency. When she threw the door open she looked startled. John Thornton was the last person she expected to see.

"Mr. Thornton! Did Johnny get into dairy again?" She appeared alarmed.

"No. I wished to speak to you on a different matter. May I come in, please?"

"Yes. Of course." She looked shocked by his asking.

Thornton noticed her state of undress immediately. It wasn't that the dressing grown didn't cover as much as a dress, it was the fact it was a dressing gown. Alexandria's hair was unbound, it flowed around her like a ripple of silk. Seeing her as such stopped him in his tracks as his hands itched to reach out and stroke her dark tresses.

He spoke with a mix of fury, lust, and jealousy. "Do you always answer the door dressed as this?" The words were snarled.

"No. You are the first person that has come to my door this long after midnight Mr. Thornton. Yet, I most certainly would answer the door as I am. I am showing less than I would on a hot summer day." She was haughty in her reply.

Thornton hung his head and ran a hand through his hair. He took a deep breath before speaking. "I apologize Dr. Copeland. That is none of my business. I saw the mark you left on Hamper's cheek. I merely wished to check on you."

"I'm fine, I swear." She looked amused at his concern.

"I'm pleased to hear that. Have all the masters given you problems?"

"All except you."

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"Mr. Thornton, I saw no reason to do such. You are not a relative of mine."

"I feel responsible." He was the one that permitted her to stay, in his mind, after all.

She smiled. "Please, don't. You would think that men of their ages knew how to behave properly around a woman."

"One would." He said archly.

"Do you need to talk? Perhaps some tea?"

"Yes, please. I would appreciate it."

Alex fixed the tea while Thornton took a spot on the settee. Passing him a cup, she sat next to Thornton.

"I wanted to apologize to you."

"For?" She looked puzzled.

"I said some things at the dinner that were not meant to be spoken. It was rude of me to do such." He looked down at his hands. "Then tonight I found out about Hamper and the others getting fresh with you, I wanted to beat them all senseless."

"I'm glad that you didn't beat anyone senseless Mr. Thornton. I would have hated to have to treat your damages AND mine." There was just enough of impish good humor in her eyes that made him smile in return. "No, it wasn't rude. I told you. I prefer blunt honesty over innuendo any day." She looked to him briefly. "I'm afraid where I have lived and Milton have different customs and etiquette."

"I also didn't take well to your admission about your virginity."

"I did that on purpose."

"Why?" Thornton was surprised.

"If I may be my normal overly blunt self, Mr. Thornton. If you couldn't handle the truth of the woman that I am, then you would have no business being near me except in the professional sense. I can take care of myself. I promise you that. On the other hand, I do appreciate your candor and your concern."

He studied her silently for a moment. "If you were agreeable to me courting you, you could have easily made up an excuse."

"I don't feel the need to make up an excuse. I am not ashamed of what I have done with my life. To be perfectly honest, my only regret is that I didn't tell my parents I loved them as often as I should have."

"How long have they been gone?"

"Too long."

"I understand." There was sadness in his smile.

"I wish you didn't understand."

"Would you speak of yourself? Would you tell me of your youth?"

"Only if you will do so as well."

"I will."

"What would you like to know?"

"You are obviously English, but you spent time elsewhere?"

"I was born and raised in London. My father is from America but my mother is from Leeds. They met in London through friends. I spent several years over there. It is where I studied medicine and became a doctor."

"You use doctor, physician, and surgeon interchangeably."

"It is a bad habit of mine. Doctor is my title, just as your title is Master. I am technically a surgeon, physician, and an apothecary." Thank god I remembered that, thought Alex.

"How so?"

"I can perform surgery on people, give them medicine, and create medicine."

"I have never heard such a thing!"

"I told you that you would never find a better doctor than I." She teased.

Thornton laughed. "Yes you did." Reaching up, he tucked a curl back behind her ear. John would never have done that to another woman, but with Alex it felt natural. "May I call you Alexandria?"

"Of course."

"Will you call me by my Christian name?"

"Yes John. If you wish."

"I do believe you can take care of yourself." Going back to what she said, John nodded." I saw the bruise you left Hamper with." Thornton smiled.

She laughed. "Alas, not one of my finer moments but it did take care of the situation."

"Indeed it did." Thornton smiled. "What happened with Watson, if I may ask?"

Alex chuckled softly. "He upended a bowl of water I was carrying when I had treated one of his people. I believe he thinks he saw more than he did." She shook her head with amusement.

"How do you do this?"

"What do you mean?"

"All of this. Treating people all the time while the men tend to try to compromise your good name."

"It has only been the mill masters that have tried that nonsense. The mill workers and the other merchants would never take such liberties, nor have they tried."

"How strange."

"Not really. I have earned the respect of the workers and merchants."

John Thornton studied the woman before him, contemplating what she had just said. Shaking his head, John didn't know what to say. "It is very strange to be speaking to a woman, while she wears her night clothes, about liberties."

Blushing, Alex looked away. "My apologies Sir. I had forgotten what I was wearing or not wearing as the case may be." She stood to go change into a day dress.

Reaching out, he wrapped his hand around her wrist to stop her from going. "Don't be." He was pleased that she was that comfortable with him. Or was she that comfortable with everyone? The bitter taste of jealousy filled him once again. What was it about her that fascinated him so? "You frustrate and confuse me Alexandria."

"Why? Other than my lack of social finesse."

"You the most honest and open person I have ever met in my life."

"Honest and open are far less difficult than closed and lying. You don't have to remember the tales you tell."

"People hide their true selves and true natures. You do not. You show yourself in all of your facets. "

"John, I uhm...."

"Please allow me to finish? You are as refreshing as you are lovely my dear Dr. Copeland. I cannot help but wonder what it would be like to uncover whatever it is that you do hide from the prying eyes of polite society. We started out poorly, I would like to rectify that. I also would enjoy getting to know you better. There is something about you that I find thrilling and fascinating. I would still like to court you Alexandria, if you would have me. "

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

77.6K 2.4K 24
Margaret just misses Mr Thornton at the train station, she ends up marrying Henry Lennox her old friend thinking that Mr Thornton wants nothing to do...
39.2K 1K 20
If you know that love might get hopeless, what should you do? In my case, my only crush, Sonic the Hedgehog is going to propose to my best friend, Pr...
7 0 7
Mark never took his wife Emily seriously during their three-year marriage. An "accidental" abortion drove her into despair. She divorced with her hus...
145K 2.2K 91
John Thornton has an eager mind, starved for intellectual stimulation. But what John could not have foreseen was that just as his mind needs nourish...