On the Bench [Sequel to On th...

By ACNichols

The sequel to ‘On the Couch’ An unexpected arrest… Selfish aspirations… Grudges and revenge fester… True love... More

Dedication Page/Introduction
Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Epilogue
Authors Note
Sequel's Link

Chapter Twenty Two

34.1K 1.4K 115
By ACNichols

Quick Note: Okay here is the update. And the small surprise I mentioned yesterday in my broadcast is in the chapter itself. You know since they really didn't have a proper one.... *winks* Enjoy my lovies! =)

*

Rolling over, I woke up to Evan’s peaceful sleeping. Pulling the blanket up to my neck, I smiled as his chest rose and fell evenly in his slumber. It always amazed me how calm someone can look when in this unconscious state, no matter what else was going on in our lives.

My hand found my belly. Though I wouldn’t be showing or feeling the baby any time soon it was weird to think a child was growing inside me at this very moment. Evan and I’s child. I reached out to caress his face and my hand slipped into his hair.

Dinner with our parents was interesting. I wondered why his mother had it out for me. Being so uppity must be hard work. I chuckled softly and Evan stirred. His eyes slowly opened and began to focus.

“Morning,” I said softly.

“How long have you been watching me sleep,” he yawned.

“Only a minute.” I leaned over and kissed his lips.

His arms wrapped tightly around me. “Hmm, I like waking up to this….” he murmured.

“I know you do.” I chuckled against his jaw. “Time to start coffee.”

I turned to get up, but yelped as Evan yanked me back.

“I don’t need coffee.” He pulled my head down kissing deeper. His arms gripped my butt through the blankets holding me in place on top of him.

“I can tell,” I wiggled against his groin. “But I do need to go to work. I’ve missed too much as it is.”

Evan groaned making me laugh.

“Fine,” he conceded.

I put on a pot in the kitchen before hopping into the shower. I heard Evan come into the bathroom and then the running water of the sink, most likely to brush his teeth.

“I just got a call from Kyle.” He said over the running water coming from both of us.

“Oh, what about?”

“Our office has been getting some heat lately and pressed by the local media about the case since I told you about Hollister. He’s still keeping them away, but the vultures are circling. I guess the district attorney is giving an exclusive story to put his name out there that will go live when the trial is over. It’s making the company look bad and we have lost a few clients and sponsors.”

I finished my shower and pulled the curtain back.

“Is there anything I can do to help?” I looked hopefully at him. This was unfortunate, but not unexpected whether what happened with Hollister or not occurred.

“I don’t think so. Kyle and I can handle it. Just stressing him out a little, he was warning me for when I get there today. Just telling you to keep an eye out.”

“Okay,” I smiled at him in the mirror.

The way he acted so nonchalant about it worried me. I didn’t think he was hiding anything, but he wasn’t expressing the full depth of the hit they were taking. They just opened their new practice literally only weeks before his arrest. It’s a hard blow, but I knew when he was proven innocent and the trial was over things would settle down and people would begin to forget.

“I can see your worry, Sonja. It’s fine, really. I’m just telling you…. I don’t want any more surprises either.” He said following me out of the bathroom while I began to dress, attempting to reassure me.

My hand slipped on the last button of my blouse. Now I had a secret surprise for him for once. My upcoming testimony in court. Mostly, the one with the secrets has been the other way around. Once more guilt seeped into my nerves.

“It just seems strange still, to be going about daily routines with the trial still going. Almost like daily life should be on pause for it.”

Evan chuckled. “If daily life got put on pause every time something difficult came up no one would ever get anything else done. No matter what extra events will happen, daily life always continues. Navigating between the two is what becomes difficult.”

“You don’t have to tell me twice.” I scoffed, but was smiling.

*

Leaving for work Evan was being very playful. “We are going on a date tonight,” he announced.

Driving me to work, lately he has been very chivalrous and I suspected it was because of the pregnancy.

“Oh. What if I’m too tired?” I teased. He gave me the stink eye glancing over quickly and then his focus was back on the road.

“Just because you’re pregnant doesn’t mean you’re made of glass. Didn’t I prove that last night?”

The look he gave me at a red light was smoldering. Once more he always made me yearn for him with a deep passion. But my only response was a sly raise of my eye brow.

*

Most of the day, I sat in meetings with Stacy interviewing potential new clients since I fired Hollister. Was it fired when they were your client? I didn’t care. I was worried about the consequences from what I did since I haven’t told Eddie the real reason. He hasn’t questioned me yet about it, but I knew it was coming.

The other two clients I was working on have been completed and their websites would go live in two weeks. I also haven’t told Eddie about the pregnancy yet though that would hardly hinder my ability to function at work.

So after our fourth meeting I wasn’t surprised when Eddie buzzed me on my intercom asking me to come to his office.

“On my way,” I responded.

I took a sip from my water and smoothed out my dress before leaving my office. I snorted at the idea he would put me on admin leave twice in one year even though this was a more legitimate reason to do so.

Weaving through the office no one paid attention or looked my way. I smiled, how true it was what Evan had said in the morning. Business went on as usual. Even my colleagues whom I interacted with regularly knew what was going in my personal life didn’t second glance at my approach to Eddie’s office.

“Afternoon Eddie….” I stopped in my tracks when I turned around to see Dominique sitting with him. Eddie’s boss.

In an all-black tailored suit and a bit of paunch to his belly he smiled pleasantly at me. I hadn’t seen Dom since the Halloween party. He didn’t know what happened as I never reported Eddie and that incident.

“Hi, Sonja. You know Dom.”

“Yes, hi, good to see you again,” I sat down shaking his hand.

“Ms. Winters, I need to know why you let go of Mr. Hollister as a client. Being a personal friend of mine as well as business associate, I would like to know the details of the situation.” He asked in a calming tone, but showed his authority. Now I know he helped Eddie find me when I Was kidnapped so this formal setting worried me a bit.

“Okay. It’s pretty personal.”

“Just let us know, Sonja so we can handle it.” Eddie said and he looked concerned.

“As you know he paid Evan’s bail and this gained clout to keep the press out of the trial he also… made a deal to buy my affections in a manner of speaking.” I blushed with embarrassment expecting the worst.

Dom crossed his leg over a knee and rolled his eyes. “Typical John. I thought it was worse than that. I’ll take care of it. Sonja were you close to completing your work on his account?”

“Yes, I was almost ready to start with the final touches and the volunteers,” I answered honestly.

“Would you please complete the work? Eddie and I will handle John.”

“I can do that.”

How could I refuse the CEO of the company?

“Thank you, I appreciate it.” Dom stood. “If there is nothing else, I need to go.”

“Um,” I said sheepishly. Though I didn’t like the idea of finishing his account at least I wouldn’t have to deal with him directly.

“What is it, Sonja?” Eddie asked.

“I have some news and I hope it won’t be a problem.” I paused as they both waited patiently. “I’m pregnant and Evan and I are engaged.” I blurted out quickly feeling suddenly overheated.

Dom’s face lit up with a happy expression while Eddie’s eyes bulged out of his head and he sat back down slowly.

“Congratulations. I do expect an invitation to the wedding,” Dom said coming around and politely kissing both my cheeks and shook my hand.

“Thank you.”

“I apologize, but I do have to go now. Thank you for your honesty, Sonja.” He turned to Eddie, “Let me know when John can see us, I have a quite a few words for him.” Dom said fiercely.

“Yes, of course,” Eddie’s voice was barely audible.

After Dom left the office was silent. Dead silent.

“If that’s all, I’ve got to get back to work.” I began to turn.

“Why?”

“Excuse me?”

“Why did we never get together?”

I sighed. “Eddie, I just never felt that way for you. You are handsome, successful, a good man and I like you and will always be your friend, but you weren’t the one. I always knew you wanted to be and I tried to simply ignore it. Instead that gave you hope. I was wrong and I am sorry.”

I couldn’t believe the words came out of my mouth. Every memory or interaction with Eddie flashed in my mind and I saw where I was wrong. I should have told him this a long time ago.

He was silent for quite a few minutes, but I didn’t dare leave yet. “You know you could have saved a lot of trouble from me if you had said that three years ago.” He smirked. The cocky confident man was back and it was his way of finally accepting what was and defeat.

I laughed. “Sucks being human, doesn’t it?”

He stood up and came over to me. “Nah, I rather enjoy it.”

He kissed my cheek and it was completely platonic. I knew Eddie and I were good and the past put behind us.

“I better get back to work now.”

“Sure and congrats, I also will be looking for my invitation in the mail.”

“You got it.”

I left his office feeling positive about all the rest of what was left to come.

*

All I could hear was the traffic as Evan drove. My sight was blocked with the blind fold he asked me to wear for the trip to wherever we were going on this date. It must be near the ocean or water since I could smell the salt in the air. Not too difficult to figure out living in an ocean side city.

“Are we there yet?” I giggled.

“Ha-ha. I will turn this car around and go back home if you keep sassing me like that woman,” Evan purred. It only made me laugh more.

Curiosity was getting the best of me as we didn’t dress up for a date. Matter of fact we were in casual jeans and t-shirts. And he had me bring a sweater.

Finally, he parked and I waited for him to come to my side of the car to help me out. I knew we were near water from the sound and gust of chilly wind that hit me when I stood. Goosebumps rose on my arms.

“Cold?” he rumbled.

“Yes, good thing I brought the sweater.”

Evan chuckled leading me down a stone path, I assumed from the uneven feel of the ground through my flip flops. Then I felt sand seep in and between my toes.

“Ready?” he asked when he stopped walking.

“No. Think the butterflies in my stomach are suspense enough.”

“Cheeky, tonight aren’t we?” He tapped me on my ass.

I just smiled and waited.

The scarf he used slipped off and I recognized the small beach area off of one of the boat harbor’s in Sausalito. But what stood out was the small table set for two on the beach with a lantern in the center so the wind wouldn’t blow the light out.

“I think it’s been too long since we had a proper date,” he whispered in my ear and nibbled on the curve of it.

The light waves breaking on the shore made a pleasant setting with the boats swaying on their moorings in the distance under soft lamps. Night had already settled, so visibility was limited to maybe a mile out into the water and the opposite side of the bay. To the right was the exit out into the actual bay and across the water the city of San Francisco. We were more inland than a typical beach so it was quieter and more private. There was no one else out here at least that we could see.

“How did you do this?” I asked as we sat down.

“With some help.” He smirking knowingly and nodded to something past me. I turned to see two people walking over with covered plates in their hands. I recognized Stacy and Kenneth instantly.

In a faux English accent Kenneth began his speech: “Good evening and welcome to ‘Chateau Beach in Sausalito. Tonight we have a regal meal starting with a Caesar salad. For the main course we have chicken carbonara. And for dessert a rich champagne cake. To drink we have a nice bubbling crisp apple cider – no alcohol for zee preggo miss.” Thanks Stacy. “Bon appetite.” He finished playfully setting the food down with a flourish in front of Evan and me. Stacy was barely holding in her laughter.

“Thank you, but I think that is more French than English,” I said to both of them and Kenneth stuck his tongue out at me before they left back to where ever they had been hiding.

“This is great, Evan,” I added smiling and started with my salad.

“I’m glad.”

We ate and talked about our day. I told him what happened with Eddie and Dom and he seemed okay with it. Though neither of us wanted to deal with Hollister anymore.

“So who cooked?” It was hard to clear my face of the contentment I felt.

“I did. They finished though while I left to pick you up.”

I pulled the sweater from the back of my chair and over my shoulders as it was chilly out by the water. “And where did you cook exactly?” I asked confused.

“I used Kyle’s boat that’s docked here. His galley is fully stocked.”

“I didn’t know he had a boat.”

“Neither did I, until I told him about my plans for tonight.”

I put my fork down too full to eat anymore and dessert still waited. I wanted to eat more feeling hungry still, but my stomach disagreed. I wondered if it was pregnancy hunger, eating for two now and all.

“So what else is planned for tonight?” I asked sipping the cider.

Evan shifted in his seat and looked up at me. The atmosphere suddenly shifted becoming heavy and I felt a pleasant flutter in my gut.

“Well… my initial proposal wasn’t exactly what I had in mind.”

I choked into my glass as a gust of wind blew my hair into my face. That was unexpected as I scrambled to pull my hair out of my eyes. His proposal was sort of during a fight and in front of someone else in the lobby of my office building.

“Plus,” he dug into his pocket and pulled out a deep blue velvet box. “I didn’t have a ring either.”

“Evan…” I choked up as a plethora of emotions began to marathon run through me. “You don’t have to….”

“Yes I do.”

He stood up pulling the ring out of the box and came over to my side of the table. Kneeling down on one knee the tears dripped happily down from my eyes onto my jeans. I didn’t bother to stop them as Evan fixed me with his deep brown gaze. All the love and devotion clearly presented through them.

“Sonja Winters, from the moment you stomped out of my office last September I knew I had to know you. I didn’t expect to fall in love. There is no one I have ever wanted more or will again. Do me the honor and become my wife?” He looked up at me as hopeful as any man proposing though I had already said the answer he wanted.

He held up the ring which was a simple solitaire princess cut diamond on a white gold band.

“Yes.” I could barely get the word out as my hand shook while he slipped the ring on my finger. “I love you.”

“I love you more.” He rushed through the words and leaned up for a deep hungry passion fueled kiss.

I heard clapping in the distance and cheers. Clearly, Kenneth and Stacy.

“I told them. They blackmailed me otherwise they wouldn’t have helped.” He chuckled against my lips.

“I’m not surprised.”

I leaned my forehead against his and we just stayed there in the moment.

Things were falling into place. All that was left was the damn trial. And right now I felt like we could conquer anything.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

We✔ By Rhea

Teen Fiction

3.5K 493 48
Three best friends An amazing trip That's all it takes for life to be wonderful again. Except there's one question. ....... Three friends. Lily...
2.6M 98.4K 34
'The asshole' is back! You first met him in Just Tell Me You Love Me. And now he's back. And so is she, Allyson Cassidy. Adam Murray fell in love wit...
22.3K 1.4K 55
Book 3 of the Seasons Series ───────∘∘∘❁∘∘∘─────── Absence makes the heart grow fonder... With a new start and a new...
835 18 26
WARNING: MENTION OF MURDER, SEX, MATURE LANGUAGE, VIOLENCE, CRIME, CHEATING, TALK OF SELF HARM, UNDERAGE DRINKING AND DRUG ABUSE. TROPES: FRIENDS TO...