Chapter Five

Quick Note: I apologize for the four day wait for this. I was busy with editing, then errands, a bit of a writer's block moment and a little upset about a few things. I hope you all like this chapter though it is kind of short. I didn't want to add much more to the end as its supposed to be a good reunion. *winks*

*

“Are you alright?” Eddie asked coming into my office.

“I’m fine. I have work to do and I still need to pick two more clients.” I snapped slapping my files onto my desk. Of course he would come to bother me first thing in the morning.

After Evan disappeared from the court room, when it finished, I left and went directly back to work. Most the day my face was tear-stained. The whole office saw. Eddie and Stacy steered clear of me, but now that it’s a new day, they figured one night meant it was safe to approach me.

“Alright, still not safe to talk to you, I take it court went badly,” Eddie spoke calmly putting his hands up in surrender. I glared at him as I sat down.

Eddie held my gaze. “Okay, I’ll check on you later,” he conceded.

“I rather you didn’t” I snapped viciously again, but he ignored me as he left my office.

I could see other people in the building looking apprehensively into my office. I growled and stood up to close the blinds. There, no more curious eyes. My mood was already ruined.

I dived into my work and let my mind zone out with my thoughts.

The news was devastating. Bail was set, but too high. I couldn’t even comfort him. It was like he would be, just out of arms reach, out of my arms, for a long time. At work yesterday all I wanted to do was go home and wait for him to call, but I knew that wouldn’t help. Evan knew I only had the morning off so he wouldn’t have tried.

Then in the evening I waited and he never did either. I knew he must not have wanted to with how upset it had made him, made both of us. In a manly attempt to protect me from seeing how upset the news had made both of us. It was obvious in his eyes after his arraignment was done. A new wait had begun to sit on my shoulders.

Trying to concentrate on my work, I picked out two more clients. I managed to speak professionally on the phone as I let them know and tried to keep it together for work – just barely. Just as I hung up with the last client a knock came on my door and Stacy stepped inside.

“I just let Everett and Connor know I chose them for clients,” I pushed the other three towards her as she came in. They would have to be given to someone else.

“Oh okay, cool. That was what I was coming in here for and Hollister faxed over an outline for what he would like to discuss at the next meeting.”

I raised an eyebrow. “Seriously?” Stacy grinned nodding at me. “That’s a first.”

“A meticulous one he is,” she commented.

She sat down cautiously after handing me the paper. Lifting a bag I hadn’t seen that she was carrying she spoke. “Lunch?”

I looked at the time, it was lunch hour. “Sure my mind is just not here. What did you bring?”

“Sub sandwiches.” She handed me one. I smiled as she had gotten exactly what I eat from the deli.

“It’s obvious you’re not really here, you never close your blinds.”

“Yeah, well after yesterday the prying eyes were too much,” I said and began to eat realizing I was famished.

“So what happened at court?” She asked knowing it was safe enough to bring it up now.

I sighed. “Bail was set, but at 300,000 dollars.”