The Legendary Female Strategi...

By Celestial_Immortal

Eight years after the Great War, the world is now ruled by four kingdoms. On the surface, there is peace and... More

Chapter 1 - A Simple Peasant Girl
Chapter 2 - Facing fate with Steam Buns and Candied Apples
Chapter 3 - Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder
Chapter 4 - With Silver Needles Comes Great Responsibility
Chapter 5 - The Faint Bitter Scent of Tea
Chapter 6 - When the Dragon Calls, There is No Choice But to Answer
Chapter 7 - Anything Can Happen During an Emperor's Banquet
Chapter 8 - The Person Called Hui Yi
Chapter 9 - The Meeting of Two Individuals
Chapter 10 - The Beginning of the Emperor's Game
Chapter 11 - A Morning in the City
Chapter 13 - Oranges and Food Brings Forth Friendships
Chapter 14 - A Familiar Face
Chapter 15 - The First Night with the Emperor
Chapter 16 - A Bright Sunny Day Often Brings Bad Memories
Chapter 17 - A Tale of Two Birds
Chapter 18 - Ru Qiang's Deal with the Devil
Chapter 19 - Fruit Dessert is Best Served Last
Chapter 20 - A Hint of the Calm Before the Storm
* Information List (Chapters 1 - 20) *
Chapter 21 - Behind a Mask Hides Another
Chapter 22 - A Dagger Hidden Within the Darkness and One's Heart
Chapter 23 - The Truth Behind Her Mask
Chapter 24 - The Illusion of Escape
Chapter 25 - The Lie of a Liar
Chapter 26 - Planning for Destruction
Chapter 27 - A Way to Trick Them All
Chapter 28 - Dutifully Carrying Out a Paid Service
Chapter 29 - Onward They Continue
Chapter 30 - Even the Quietest Man Can Be Quite Stubborn
Chapter 31 - Being A Potato Has Its Benefits
Chapter 32 - New Territory Always Brings New Troubles
Chapter 33 - Even the Scent of Flowers Can't Mask the Coldness of Winter
Chapter 34 - A Puzzle Without Its Pieces Are Unsolvable
Chapter 35 - The Color Of Black Hides Many Secrets
Chapter 36 - From A Fellow Stubborn Individual To Another
Chapter 37 - For Foodies Like Us
Chapter 38 - A Complete and Utter Mess
Chapter 39 - A Faint Flicker of the Past
Chapter 40 - The Self-Proclaimed Assassin
Chapter 41 - The Veiled Young Master
~Announcement~
Chapter 42 - A Fateful Encounter in a Small City
Chapter 43 - A Lonesome Heart
Chapter 44 - Poison of the Past
Chapter 45 - The Wandering Village
Chapter 46 - Secrets Buried Deeply in the Night
Chapter 47 - A Race Against Time
Chapter 48 - The Truth Intertwined with Despair

Chapter 12 - Captured Once Again

33.4K 1.9K 345
By Celestial_Immortal

Feng Yao followed behind the group of men. Her small figure made it easy for her to blend in with the rest of the people strolling down the street for the morning market.

Hm? Where are they going? This way seems to be leading out of the city.

The men were travelling steadily down the street that led towards the outside of the city parameters. As Feng Yao followed them farther and farther, she could see the crowds of civilians dwindle down until there was no one left. No one except for the dirty beggars and poor orphan children hiding in the shadows.

Here, in the outskirts of the city, were the slums that the kingdom often tried to pretend that didn't exist. Feng Yao could sense hungry and desperate stares as she walked by. A few weeks ago, she had also been one of them here. Yet now, she was someone that they were all waiting to jump and rob.

Feng Yao ignored the stares and focused on staying far enough from the group of men so that they wouldn't notice her. She saw them pause at the end of the street before turning onto a hidden alleyway shrouded in darkness. It seemed like even the local beggars knew to stay away from that deserted path.

Her silent footsteps had none of the usual 'pitter patters' as she slowly walked closer. Just as she was about to reach the corner, she felt someone suddenly pick her up by the back collar and pull her backwards. 

Sighing, she hummed to herself, Mother bear must have finally caught up~

As her body was forcibly turned around, Ru Qiang's indifferent face appeared right in front of her. Like usual, he was beautiful like a god. Elegant like flowers. Sturdy like a tree. Stubborn like weeds. Bitter like potatoes. Mean like a villain. Evil like...

Wait. Did she get those wrong? 

Nah, probably not.

Smiling sweetly, Feng Yao showed no trace of having just insulted him in her mind. "Ah, my dear fiance. Fancy seeing you here in the slums! What ever is the matter that you have come here too?"

Ru Qiang's lips pressed together at hearing that his title had been changed to 'dear fiance' by her. Ignoring the question, he looked at her with a flat expression.

"Where are you going?" 

His voice was emotionless making it hard to understand what he was thinking. But Feng Yao didn't seem to mind as she lightly laughed and patted his shoulder.

"What ever do you mean, my lovable fiance? You amuse me with your doting actions and thoughtful concern." 

The bright grin on Feng Yao's face was so blinding that Ru Qiang's lips automatically turned into a frown without him realizing it. 

"Stop calling me your fiance. We are not engaged." 

Ru Qiang  backed away a half-step. Instantly, he felt better at the increase in space between them. But the next moment, his relief was shattered as Feng Yao stepped forward blinking innocently. True to his request, she didn't call him 'fiance' anymore.

"My dear hubby~ Oh how I do love this hot and cold attitude of yours." With bright loving eyes, she dotingly poked him in the chest where his heart was. From behind Ru Qiang, Li Yue watched uncomfortably at their lovey dovey interaction. 

Feng Yao stealthily slid her hand inside the front of Ru Qiang's robe as she stepped even closer. Ru Qiang was about to step away before realizing that something was off. He completely forgot about maintaining the dignity of his personal bubble as he noticed the suddenly sharp look in her eyes that contrast her carefree movements. Before he could say anything, she had already removed her hand and moved away. 

"Hubby, I'll be off now. No need to send me off. I'll be back to see you soon!" She waved goodbye and quickly turned around and left. As they disappeared from view, her thoughts immediately went back to the group of men that she'd been following. 

No more need going to find them. It seems as though they've already come to me.

Her lips twisted up in a wry smile as her eyes discreetly glanced towards the moving shadows following her. As expected, the men she'd been following earlier were now following her. Looking in the distance past them, Feng Yao could no longer see the two figures of Ru Qiang and Li Yue.

I wonder if Ru Qiang understood my message?

Earlier, she had slipped a single white ribbon from the bottom of her dress into his robes. She had seen from the slight surprise in his eyes that he knew she was trying to send him a message.

The color white could mean many things. It symbolized purity and grace. Rebirth and beginnings. Innocence and light.

In war, it also symbolized surrendering to the enemies.

Feng Yao's plan was to get kidnapped. Because sometimes, the best information came from within. She hoped that Ru Qiang wouldn't interfere and let her complete her task quickly so that she could return to that dreadful emperor. Just the thought of his royally handsome face with that cocky smirk made her want to stick her tongue out at him spitefully.

Ah, Your Majesty. Why must you make things so difficult for me~

Just as she was turning the corner, she suddenly slammed face first into something hard. Immediately, Feng Yao squatted down and held her head. 

"Wuuuu....Who's the meanie that ran into this young maiden so harshly?"

As she rubbed at her red forehead throbbing with pain, a familiar voice coldly sounded out above her.

"You think I'll let you get away again?"

Ru Qiang? Why is he still here!? Didn't he get my message? Didn't he understand it!?

Or maybe, Ru Qiang also has a plan? Is that why he ignored it? Of course! He's so smart that he probably has already made plans up until next year.

But Ru Qiang's next words completed shattered any thoughts Feng Yao had left about him wanting to help her.

"You stole my breakfast. I am waiting for compensation." 

Ahhhh! Forget about not understanding it! He just doesn't care about anything else besides his vengence!

Seeing Feng Yao still squatting pitifully on the ground, Li Yue's righteous heart was moved into action as he scolded his master. 

"Young Master! Be nicer! Can't you see that the Young Miss is in pain because of your absurdly nice and muscular chest? Even I am in envy of it sometimes! Don't you know how hard I work to protect you, yet you make me run like a chicken around doing errands all the time? What are you going to do when I lose all of my muscles because of you! What if--!"

From above her bent head, Feng Yao heard a small solid hit as if someone was just flicked on the forehead.

"Owwww! Young Master....Wuuuuu...." 

Li Yue's crying voice made her look up only to see the strange sight of Li Yue staring tearfully at Ru Qiang with a giant red mark in the center of his brows. But Ru Qiang who had flicked him was already looking away as if he hadn't just made another grown man cry from pain. From where she was on the ground, Feng Yao chuckled as she patted Li Yue's shoe in a comforting manner.

"There, there. Don't cry."

Suddenly, there was a shift in the air. The expression on both Ru Qiang and Li Yue's faces immediately shut down like an unmovable wall. But unlike them, Feng Yao's smile from before didn't disappear as she silently stood up.

Glancing around, she noticed that there were now almost fifty men surrounding the three of them in the middle of the abandoned street. Feng Yao pretended not to hear as Li Yue slightly leaned over to whisper in his master's ear.

"Young Master, it seems to be a branching faction of one of the groups back at home..."

Ru Qiang didn't move. Feng Yao had to physically move over to barely hear his quiet order.

"Do not do anything."

Oh? Is he following my plan after all?

At that moment, a man stepped out from the circle surrounding them. His face was lined with scars and held an arrogant look.

"Well well well. What do we have here? Two beautiful girls and their guard?"

Feng Yao couldn't help but let out a short burst of laughter before quickly bringing her hands up and tightly covering her lips shut. From the side of her vision, she could see Li Yue bend over in a sudden coughing bout while Ru Qiang's face darkened.

The man who had just spoke noticed the strange atmosphere. Squinting, he came closer to Ru Qiang before his eyes slightly widened.

"Well dang. You're actually a man?"

Feng Yao secretly giggled at Ru Qiang's misfortune.

Serves you right for trying to make me pay for your breakfast. Who told you to be so pretty anyways?

The man snorted before motioning to a few of his men on the side. In a lazy voice, he waved his hands and said, "Oh well. It's no matter whether you're male or female. As long as you're attractive, I'm sure I can sell you off somewhere."

Li Yue's figure suddenly appeared protectively in front of Ru Qiang as the men attempted to move forward towards them. His face was frightfully emotionless as he spoke in a chillingly cold voice.

"You dare speak of selling my Young Master to such filthy places? You all will have to get through me first to even think about laying even a single glance upon my Master's shoes." 

The sudden change in his character made everyone freeze. Before anyone could react, Li Yue had already brandished a gleaming sword and rushed at the nearest group of men. The men didn't even have time to scream before they were lying dead on the dirty ground.

The remaining 40 or so men hurriedly took out their swords and began to run at him, but despite the increase in attackers, Li Yue's swordsmanship remained steady and calm. Feng Yao narrowed her eyes as she watched the way he fought. 

He changed his fighting style. At first, he had killed in a single movement. But now, it's as if he's taking his time.

Out of the corner of her eye, Feng Yao noticed the man from earlier running towards safety behind another wall. He was carrying a small weapon that looked to be like a blow gun. Feng Yao lightly glanced upwards at Ru Qiang and saw that although his face was still expressionless, his eyes seemed calm and relaxed.

Seeing that, Feng Yao realized what the pair was up to and decided to sit down to wait. Sure enough, just as Li Yue struck down another third of the men, a blow dart suddenly streaked through the air and landed solidly into the side of his torso. 

Feng Yao continued watching already knowing what was about to happen. After being hit, Li Yue began to slowly sway before his entire body collapsed into unconsciousness onto the floor. The sword in his hand clanged loudly as it fell from his hand and onto the ground next to him.

Sleeping powder must be really popular these days, huh?

"Men! Tie these three up and lock them up in the wagon. They'll be taken back to the big boss. He can decide what to do with them."

Feng Yao, Ru Qiang, and the unconscious Li Yue were roughly tied with rope before being shoved into a small wagon. Luckily, the wagon floor was lined with hay messily strewn around so it didn't hurt too much.

The only light source inside was the sunlight streaming through the cracks of the wall made up by wood planks. As the door was shut and the sound of a large lock clicked resoundingly, the man outside taunted, "By the next time I see you all, you'll probably be kissing the hand of some rich patron. Perhaps you might even be honored to serve me one day."

His ugly laughter was the last thing Feng Yao heard before they began moving. With a creak of the wagon wheels, horses outside began to lead them away. And although she couldn't hear anyone outside, she knew that there were at least two men guiding the path for the horses to go.

After slowly counting to five, Feng Yao stretched out her foot and gently nudged the body of Li Yue still lying unconscious on top of the hay on the wagon floor. Her hands were currently tied behind her so her only option was using her foot.

"Oi~ Coast is clear."

He didn't move. Feng Yao sighed before harshly nudging again. This time, she didn't hold back her strength.

"Stop playing dead. We've got things to discuss."

Li Yue finally opened his eyes and looked at her. Contrary to expectations, his eyes were fully alert and held none of the sleepiness that should have been there. Slowly, he sat up and massaged the area on his side that she had just kicked. 

"The Young Miss sure does have a good kick. You even woke me up from the sleeping poison they shot me with using only your foot. Today, I have been blessed with the good fortune of meeting you."

Feng Yao rolled her eyes before snorting. "Stop lying. I know you didn't even let the dart pierce your skin. You had extra cloth padded around your chest. When did you get the chance to do that?"

Li Yue looked surprised before letting out a grin and bowing towards her. "Miss truly is smart. The Young Master had earlier handed me a thick wad of spare fabric and told me to tie it around my torso. I had to fake unconsciousness; otherwise, they would have never put me on the same wagon as the Young Master and Miss."

Feng Yao nodded at his words, but she had already concluded that same reason earlier. Quietly, she turned towards Ru Qiang who was still silently sitting next to her. The flickering sunlight played off of his face as the wagon continued trudging through the woods.

"So Ru Qiang," she began. He didn't seem to mind that she was directly calling him by his name. Perhaps he was fine with it since it wasn't 'fiance' or 'hubby' anymore. 

"What are you still doing following me?"

Her question made him turn to look at her. His dark eyes studied her face that had tilted in curiosity. Finally he said, "You still owe me breakfast."

On the side, Li Yue sighed. "Young Master, it'll probably be more like lunch at this rate."

Ru Qiang paused before nodding. "En. That's fine too."

Feng Yao continued to stare at them dumbly before finally laughing. "All right, all right. I'll make sure to feed you sometime today. After all, you actually did end up listening to my white ribbon." 

After a moment, Ru Qiang glanced over at her and asked, "What were you doing following those men?"

Feng Yao turned her head to look at his unchanging expression. A sudden sparkle twinkled in her eyes as she grinned. "Me? Well you see, I'm actually looking for someone important."

Li Yue spoke up curiously as he turned to look at her too. "Who is the Young Miss looking for?"

A bright glint appeared in Feng Yao's eyes as she chuckled perhaps a bit too wickedly.

"Fu fu fu...I'm looking for an old childhood friend. I need him to take up my old name for a while."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.5M 727K 88
Marriage had always been my dream but not to a man about whom I know nothing. The moment my father fixed an alliance of me to a Prince without even t...
5.2K 98 98
The ancient saying goes: Most generals come from Guan Xi, while ministers come from Guan Dong. He Lisa was born to be a Star General. She was merely...
26.4K 1.7K 19
Once upon a time there was a man named Karna. He was born to a Kshatriya women and was adopted by a suta when his birth mother abandoned him. People...
26.4K 1.4K 68
true love never exists right?? or If it does than only give pain. "It's amazing how someone can break your heart, and you can still love them with al...