The Last Chance

By fr3e2dre4m

Lindsey Parks married a man that she had loved since she was sixteen, and at eighteen, was the most loyal wif... More

The Last Chance
Prologue
Chapter 1 - Get Over Him
Chapter 2 - Wake me from this Nightmare
Chapter 3 - Memories
Chapter 4 - Wishes
Chapter 5 - A Father's Betrayal
Chapter 6 - My Fake Boyfriend
Chapter 7 - Secrets
Chapter 8 - Dreams
Chapter 9 - Katie
Chapter 11- Daisies
Chapter 12 - Forget you Never
Chapter 13 - Love
Chapter 14 - Runaway
Chapter 15 - The Move
Chapter 16 - Risk
Chapter 17 - Lost
Author's Note

Chapter 10 - A New Beginning

1.5K 49 34
By fr3e2dre4m

 * Author's Note: New chapter is up! I hope you guys like it! =) I enjoyed writing this chapter, and I hope you guys enjoy reading it just as much!

Thanks for staying loyal to this story, and taking the time to read it! I appreciate it so much!

This chapter is dedicated to Forevermoi for reading this story and being my french buddy! Merci beaucoup mon amie! 

On with the story!

~fr3e2dre4m

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lindsey’s Point of View

I stood there, in the pale shadows of the tall redwoods, watching through misty eyes as Jeff held Katie to his chest, her golden hair fanning over his body. He loved her like any father would love daughter, completely and without abandon.

The deep red of the sun blistered in the sky, dying pale white clouds a bloody red, and the ground glowed with red. It was like a fire, consuming me, even though I knew we were safe here, in this beautiful park, where the fire couldn't reach me.

It was my escape night all over again, when I had discovered the baby inside of me, the danger I was in. My screams through the night, as the flames had nearly taken my life.

I could remember every detail up until the last moment, when I had passed out. The rundown apartment I inhabited was not fit for human, and one small kitchen accident had set the building on fire. Flames had licked the scarred edges of the walls, turning them a charred black color.

I had been the first out of the building, coughing and hacking from the smoke, and I clutched my stomach, and looked up fearfully, before I fell into blackness.

But I had made it out alive, with Katie, and I had promised myself to never get involved again, to never have to go through that type of pain. False promises echoed in my head, of love, of comfort, of safety.

Jeff had turned his back on me, when I had been carrying my beautiful daughter, stomach round as the moon. Katie had been called a bastard child, illegitimate, with no father. I was a whore, a prostitute who had the misfortune of becoming pregnant after the condom broke.

Oh how wrong they were; I had had sex a grand total of fifteen times, all with Jeff, and my daughter was the baby of the most influential CEO in the U.S.

In a time of need, I had broken down; I had almost drowned myself out of desperation. The last thing I needed in my life was Jeff to complicate things, to mess up the ideal life I had finally created for myself.

But now I had a life. I worked hard, everyday, to ensure Katie lived in a good home. To ensure that no one could take her from me. We no longer lived in a poor neighborhood with rundown apartment buildings, but rather a decent home in a modest neighborhood.

Looking up, Katie had almost fallen asleep, her lashes making shadows on her cheeks as the pale lids of her blue eyes drooped in exhaustion.

“Jeff, I can take it from here,” I murmured. “Thanks for everything.”

“Lindsey, don’t shut me out again.”

“It’s too late. What’s done has been done,” I shrugged. “Besides, you’ve already put me through enough pain. Anymore, and I’ll be dead. A woman can only handle so much.”

With that I extracted Katie from his arms, and held her to my body. Over the years, I had learned to adapt to harsh conditions, and I was now slim as a reed, fat nonexistent.

For almost a year, I had eaten next to nothing, giving what little I could afford to feed my baby, and I had been sent to the hospital by my boss more than a couple of times.

“Lindsey, I’m so sorry.”

With that, Jeff stood up, his frame towering over me, before he drew me into a hug, and proceeded to walk away. Traces of grass stains were imprinted in his khakis, and his hair, all that thick gold of it, was ruffled.

A lone tear trickled down my face, and the dark purple of the night enveloped me in a cloud. Rain started pouring from dark clouds in the sky, and Katie screamed “Momma! Momma, please don’t leave Katie! Momma!”

I felt a sharp sting on the base of my head, and fell into utter darkness.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I woke up in a clean linen hospital bed, my hospital gown swamping my tiny form. A nurse stood nearby, and her hair was ebony black, darker than night.

“Ah, you’re awake sweetie! It’s a good thing he saved you in time, or you might have contracted hypothermia.”

The room was a pale white, with mint green accents, and simple hospital curtains kept the bright sun from burning my eyes. An acrid scent, similar to bleach, filled my nose, and a needle was inserted into my skin.

I mumbled groggily, and felt a throbbing in my temple as the room spun. Utter blackness surrounded me before I woke again.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Lindsey. Lindsey, you have to wake up.”

Wake up…. Wake up…

I felt slightly woozy as I tried to sit up, only to find myself attached to the bed by numerous straps, and several pouches of liquid were slowly emptying themselves into my body.

Blinding light seeped into my eyes, and I felt myself blinking to keep out the burn.

“What happened?” I asked.

“Lindsey, you passed out in the park last week, we’ve all been so worried!”

“Where’s Katie?!” I looked around frantically. “Katie! Where did you put Katie?”

I shook Jeff’s shoulders in panic, before I felt his cool fingers wrap around my wrists. They were comforting against my feverish skin, like ice, and I felt myself tremor with desire. The old flame ignited once more.

It’s been long, too long, since we last kissed, and I felt lust course through my veins. Goddamn it Lindsey, what’s wrong with you? You swore off men remember? But how could I help myself, his strong body looming over mine, those blue eyes full of worry.

Positioning my slim fingers onto his face, I leaned forward, until I felt his lips press against mine. Heat swam in my core, and I felt the world spin. His heady scent intoxicated me, I was obsessed, the way his tongue caressed my lips. Or how he fervently ran his fingers through my hair, and I knew the desire was mutual.

I felt like I was melting, the heat radiating from his body surrounding me, giving me life for the first time. I was a teenager again, needy, wanting, naïve, desperate. I needed this, this passion just for today.

Just for a moment, I needed to feel loved again. I wanted to feel special, to feel wanted, desired.

He pulled away first, cursing, and then apologizing, for taking advantage of me at a weak moment.

“Don’t go Jeff,” I croaked.

Turning around, he arched a golden brow at me, his crystal eyes still dark with need. I bet mine were flaked with gold, or dark as night.

“I… I want to maybe try again. I’ve missed you,” I murmured, thinking of our teenager years, how we had been so eager to make love under the moonlight, or try out the new backseat of Jeff’s car.

I held out my hand shakily, and felt his warm palm fit against mine.

“If it’s what you want Lindsey.”

“It is,” I whispered, my voice echoing through the room.

It is… it is… it is… until all sound had faded, and the sun was high in the sky. Last night, I mean week, I had seen him, so good to Katie, and I knew that I couldn’t keep away.

But only one more chance, I told myself. One more chance to fall in love again.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From now on, my updates will probably be every three days or so, so I won't be updating as frequently. Please comment below if you have anything to say! Thanks for reading <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

64.2K 3.3K 30
Cockles. What if you married the wrong person? "I promise to love and cherish you. I promise to be by your side in sickness and in health." These p...
10.8K 359 33
How do you learn to live again after a terrible tragedy? When part of your heart has been ripped from you, and you feel every day, like you should...
570 19 38
Jeff and Rose were high school sweethearts and had made a home in the small town of Skyville, Texas. But for Jeff, he had always wanted more, and on...
255 27 37
At Eight years old, Jason Harrison was crushing on his sister's best friend, Sera, who happens to be six years older. Twelve years have passed since...